Chapter One: Threshold

May 17, 2021 11:12 pm
Threshold, the edge of the frontier! Each of you has come here for their own reasons, but fate has brought you all to the same place, the Logjam Inn. On this evening, the taproom is full and lively, with peoples from all walks of life. You have all heard the following rumors about the locale.

1. The merchant Clifton Caldwell has purchased the Old Antilles Castle, five miles west of Threshold. He has posted advertisements in local taverns for "Qualified Eviction Personnel".

2. A renegade cleric named Elwyn has been organizing a large raiding party of orcs three days ride to the east. The Patriarch himself wants it investigated.

3. An elvish merchant named Sindar needs a package delivered to his partner in Selenica, far to the north.

4. Goblins are raiding along the Black Eagle Barony border. The Baron is suspected.

5. A merchant has been making inquiries about something called "The Rock".

6. A foreign nobleman who owned a whole fleet of ships was assassinated a week ago in Specularum. The Iron Ring, a secret society of thieves and slavers, is being blamed.

7. A fighter of renown, Rogahn the Fearless, long missing, is believed alive and working for Baron Hendriks.

8. Gnomes are smuggling gems down the river in hollowed logs.
May 24, 2021 9:46 pm
And double Blah. (Seconding the motion or notion.)
May 25, 2021 8:58 am
Tara studies her companions, still not trusting them enough to reveal her gender.
She knows that if she hopes for success she needs allies, and these newcomers gathered around the table look promising, as eager as she is for adventures and riches.

Each have brought rumors they overheard to the table, and her ears perk up upon hearing about the gnome gem-smuggling operation.

"Hmm... it sounds like we could look into the river smuggling? I like the sound of those gems," she says with a grin, "what do you say we join forces to take a look, fellows? Those gnomes should not be much of a challenge..."
May 25, 2021 1:47 pm
Ferathil looks intently at the unknown thief who just spoke, while taking a slow sip from his mug. He says: "So you intend to pick on gnomes. Why not. But what about Sindar the merchant? Delivering his package would probably be less obviously contentious."
May 25, 2021 2:07 pm
Derval looks between Taron and Ferathil, struggling to contain his excitement.
"Oh wow! I am going on an adventure. A. Real. Adventure!" he thinks to himself. He doesn’t want to ruin his chances of been taking along, so he is worried about disagreeing with either of them.

"Well, illegal smuggling should be stopped, and those gems handed over to the authorities," he interrupts. "Mayhap we can gather news about the gnomes, but also approach Sindar to offer our services. Along the way to Selenica we can look in on the gnomes."

Feeling proud of himself he goes to take a big gulp of his watered down ale, only managing to spill most of it on himself. He mumbles an apology as he tries to clean himself up.
May 25, 2021 5:04 pm
As much as I like gems and most any Flaem does. The Eviction is clean and straight forward. And surely anything we find there would be ours. She gives her thoughts.
May 25, 2021 5:24 pm
ferathil says:
"But what about Sindar the merchant? Delivering his package would probably be less obviously contentious."
"True, but the journey there and back again would be much longer..."
derval says:
" illegal smuggling should be stopped, and those gems handed over to the authorities"
She looks surprised at the halfling. "Ahem... of that latter point, I am not so sure... Finders, keepers, I say..."
garbseni says:
"The Eviction is clean and straight forward. And surely anything we find there would be ours."
"Also true. IF we can evict whatever it is that infests that castle, with our small group."

"What about you, Fighter?" she asks Arnulf. "What is your thought? And yours, Kobold?" she says turning to Krahn.
Last edited May 25, 2021 5:27 pm
May 25, 2021 7:01 pm
Derval gives Taron a confused look, not sure why he would not turn the gems over to authorities, and have the gnomes arrested. Also, Garbseni is clearly confused. If we succeed in the eviction the goods and possessions would all go to Clifton Caldwell, unless previously agreed in the contract that we keep them.

This group seems very confused on how things work, he is very surprised by that. He will help them along though.
May 25, 2021 7:17 pm
Arnulf had been down on his luck since reaching Specularum. Instead of the glorious return of the prodigal son he had hoped to live through, he had been forced to search gainful employment out of town rather quickly, his accumulated wealth being drained by unwise expenditure and unlucky run-ins with elusive pick pockets. He hired out as a sell-sword on the first caravan heading out to Threshold, and did as he must to survive.

His coat of chain mail is well kept, and his massive two handed sword is his obvious pride. He spoke to his blade as one would converse with an old lover. This was, of course, disconcerting and somewhat comical. He had a good heart, but his mind was clearly far duller than his professional tool.

He had hung out with this unusual assortment of travelers for the sole, initial reason that they seemed content to feed him and, in exchange, he felt it was only proper to project an aura of violence whenever ill-mannered folk were indisposed towards his group. The pragmatic arrangement had served both sides well enough for the last few days.

"That's a lot of options," and indeed he seemed somewhat overwhelmed. "Smuggling gnomes sound tricky, lots of work. Evicting is what, exactly? Is it like kicking folks out o'their homes? Nasty business, that is." His eyes seemed clouded by some vague recollection, though it was a fleeting thing.

"Now, this goblin problem. It seems bloody work, but if it makes the Duchy safer, I say t'sounds good to me. If folks be payin' for these jobs, maybe we should knock on some doors. See what the terms are..." and he smiled proudly at the use of the word. It was one that his former employment as a mercenary taught him well. One does not bind oneself lightly to any contract. "Do we know who we need to talk to?"
Last edited May 25, 2021 7:28 pm
May 25, 2021 7:22 pm
Krahn speaks up. "I like shiny, gems are shiny!"
May 25, 2021 7:47 pm
OOC:
Hm, seems like we have all slightly different ideas on what the first job should be. We all know, as players, that each option will have the same amount of reward and danger. Hopefully all our characters will survive thru all 8 adventures. I have no preference, so will go with whatever the majority vote is
May 25, 2021 9:18 pm
OOC:
I'm honestly OK with whatever attracts most interest. Just trying to role-play what a warrior might consider more rewarding, but he is mostly interested in sticking to this band of adventurers, rather than drift away on his own. There is safety, an sense, in numbers.
May 25, 2021 10:03 pm
OOC:
of the rumors above, these piqued our interest. I put Derval initial vote in brackets, but he says he is happy to go where the majority decides:
[ +- ] counting
OOC:
Have I got these right?
May 25, 2021 10:59 pm
Major choice. Law of Dice - (1d8)?

( 6 ) = 6 6. A foreign nobleman who owned a whole fleet of ships was assassinated a week ago in Specularum. The Iron Ring, a secret society of thieves and slavers, is being blamed.
Last edited May 25, 2021 10:59 pm

Rolls

Law of Dice - (1d8)

(6) = 6

May 25, 2021 11:41 pm
OOC:
Looks like No. 8, the gem smuggling gnomes, got the most votes. Let's go with that one. It is just as good as any of the others.
May 25, 2021 11:43 pm
Cool. Garbseni likes gems too!
May 26, 2021 10:12 am
Arnulf scratches his head pensively.

"How do we go about finding these sneaky gnomes? Who's doing the logging, anyway?"
OOC:
These are rumors our PCs heard about. Not all of them indicate if there is someone "giving out the quests" or proposing some kind of reward for 'solving' these problems. As a penniless sell-sword, Arnulf would favor any mission that implies some kind of payment for the activity. Hence his comment about knocking on doors to discuss terms: for the "gem quest" who would we seek out to discuss what is entailed by the mission?

I see on the map of threshold that there is a logger's site. I guess that's one place we could go asking questions about this gnomish smuggling ring. But since we aren't endorsed by the local authorities to investigate anything, why would they talk to us?
Last edited May 26, 2021 10:12 am
May 26, 2021 3:20 pm
OOC:
Yes, the loggers are worth a visit. My other ideas would be to find out where the gnomes live in Threshold; are they spread out or congregated in one area. In a place as small as Threshold I would not think there are many jewellery shops. We could also try quizzing the landlord of the Logjam. For a few coppers he might have some information. I think it might be worth talking to someone in charge of the trade and taxes, as they might be happy to talk about it if they thought we could help them stop the illegal smuggling.

What does everyone else think?
May 26, 2021 3:21 pm
"Fair point." agrees Ferathil with a smirk. "Who do we talk to to get the assignment, and the reward? Or is the intent to do what the gnomes do in there stead?"
May 26, 2021 3:26 pm
Tara lowers her voice, "We observe the river. If they're using hollowed out logs, as rumor has it, they must be mixing their special logs with the regular ones.
We could scout the river traffic, to see from where to where the logs are moved. Does it happen by day, or by night?
Then we can maybe find where they come from. And if we find the hollow ones... let's just say that their shiny contents might accidentally disappear during the investigation... into our pockets!"
she glances at Derval.
Last edited May 26, 2021 3:26 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.