2: The Citadel

load previous
Aug 6, 2021 11:40 am

The upper court of the temple has been completely cleared of debris. Six pillars support the ten-foot-high ceiling, and the northern half of the enclosed area is bathed in bright light, making it easy for you to see the horrific scene playing out in the far end of the room.

Lashed to a makeshift altar are 2 yuan-ti sporting gold and red colors. Those of the scale mother, the "good" yuan-ti. One is a pureblood, while the other is a Malison
[ +- ] Malision
They are being ritually tortured by a full serpent yuan-ti abomination. An enormous sarcophagus rests behind them, its exterior carved with serpents. Two yuan-ti malisons are positioned on either side of it.Both are evil. One carries a lantern that is the source of the illumination, and the other one is holding up a chime and preparing to strike it
[ +- ] abomination
As you part the curtain, the abomination is studying the script on the sarcophagus intently, engrossed in what it sees. At a gesture from the abomination, the chime is struck. As it rings out, the seam around the lid of the sarcophagus glows brightly for an instant. Then the sarcophagus comes open partway, and the bound prisoners howl in agony.
OOC:
You have entered in the middle of an opening ritual. What do you do? Roll initiative if you choose to take any kind of interrupting action.
Aug 6, 2021 8:21 pm
Oh wow. Oh dear. Vanessa wasn't mentally prepared for whatever is going on. Should she attack? Wait for a command? She decides to ask Takeshi, whispering rapidly. "Isthishostility?" Her hand is slooooowly reaching for her weapons.
Aug 6, 2021 9:42 pm
"This is abominable. Halt at once!" The elf commanded as he prepared to unleash arcane fury upon the vile yuan-ti.
OOC:
time to roll initiative. Ready 2nd level magic missile to unleash if they do not yield to his command. One bolt for each evil yuan-ti. If I miscounted, then the extra missile goes to the one with the triangle (if a vile yuan-ti)

Scribe change the damage from force to thunder damage.

Rolls

Takeshi: Initiative - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Level 2 Magic Missile (Thunder damage) - (1d4+1, 1d4+1, 1d4+1, 1d4+1)

1d4+1 : (2) + 1 = 3

1d4+1 : (3) + 1 = 4

Aug 7, 2021 9:58 am
This looks like a fairly normal ritual to Khezzik, so he's a bit surprised at the strength of Takeshi's reaction. But then he remembers back to times when groups of heavily-armed humanoids would come rushing into Morgalitrax's lair to interrupt some of his sacrifice rituals - they often yelled similar things before they attacked and the kobolds swarmed and killed them.

How exciting! Now Khezzik is one of those who bursts in and shouts. He draws his dagger and hand crossbow, and prepares to fight.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Aug 7, 2021 1:06 pm
Nirion tenses and thinks through the spells he could use here...

Rolls

initiative - (1d20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

Aug 7, 2021 4:02 pm
Although the physical grey wispy tendrils had dispersed long back at the bay, Turner had felt the fog had lingered in her understanding. Despite the party's cautiousness, detection had been made but without triggering a hostile response but the treatment of the natives was noted. And then the fog, once again, hiding the meaning of these incongruit responses by the yuan-ti. Pressing forward toward the temple for answers, Turner felt the burning light of truth dissolve the fog as the curtain was drawn back allowing her to easily view her next course of action. No longer was anything hidden!

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Aug 7, 2021 5:49 pm
Vanessa begins to size each yuan-ti up.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(10) + 1 = 11

Aug 8, 2021 1:45 am
Tonic stretches his neck, knowing things were about to get rough...

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Aug 9, 2021 7:52 pm
As the evil yuan-ti notice you, they scramble to complete the ritual. The chime is struck and the sarcophagus starts to crack open.
OOC:
20 Nirion
17 yuan-ti
11 Vanessa
8 Khezzik
5 Tonic
4 Turner
4 Takeshi

Nirion act first, then the yuan-ti's and then the rest of you

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(15) + 2 = 17

Aug 9, 2021 8:01 pm
OOC:
if it is possible to do it without hitting the rest of the party he casts fireball. dc 14 dex save

Rolls

wild magic chance - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Aug 9, 2021 8:11 pm
OOC:
Fireball is a option, but that would hit the bound yuan-ti on the alter as well (Yp1, green = yuan-ti pureblood, and Ym1, green yuan-ti Malision)

If you are sure, roll damage
Aug 9, 2021 10:20 pm
OOC:
Ray of Frost instead then on the one who looks to be leading the ritual

Rolls

ray - (1d20+6)

(19) + 6 = 25

damage if successful - (1d8+6)

(7) + 6 = 13

Aug 10, 2021 11:22 am
OOC:
ray of frost is a cantrip dealing 2d8 damage unless you have a feature that changes that
The ray of frost hits the yuan-ti abomination. It points its ritual dagger towards you and orders the malisons to join the fight. The one with the chime, draws a longbow, while the one with the lanterns charges forwards with a longsword in one hand while holding the lantern in the other.
The abomination itself slithers around the altar and casts a fear spell
The malisons with the bow shoots at Nirion as he is the attacker
[ +- ] fear
OOC:
I expect that one of you will counter the fear spell, or dispell it. Now the initiative is yours and make your posts in any order. The initial round is the important one in reguards to who acts first
runekyndig sent a note to runekyndig

Rolls

Ym2 longbow vs Nirion - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Piercing Damage and posion damage - (1d8+2, 2d6)

1d8+2 : (1) + 2 = 3

2d6 : (34) = 7

Paige Turner Buch: Wisdom save vs Fear DC 15 - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Takeshi: Wisdom save vs Fear DC 15 - (1d20+0)

(10) = 10

Nirion: Wisdom save vs Fear DC 15 - (1d20+1)

(10) + 1 = 11

Tonic, gnome artificer (D&D 5e): Wisdom save vs Fear DC 15 - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Khezzik: Wisdom save vs Fear DC 15 - (1d20+2)

(16) + 2 = 18

Vanessa: Wisdom save vs Fear DC 15 - (1d20+0)

(7) = 7

Aug 10, 2021 11:37 am
OOC:
Ouch with those rolls!

Tonik has advantage on mental stat saves (cha, wis, int) versus spells due to being a gnome.

Takeshi's readied spell should have volleyed into the three hostiles since they refused to halt (reaction would have occurred when they hurriedly sought to continue): 7 to the chime yuan-ti, 3 to each goon.

I'll tie my boots and prepare to hustle, though wait for Turner to post (since she has counterspell) before doing so :D
Last edited August 10, 2021 11:39 am
Aug 10, 2021 12:05 pm
Galdr says:
OOC:
Ouch with those rolls!

Tonik has advantage on mental stat saves (cha, wis, int) versus spells due to being a gnome.
OOC:
Then you make your extra rolls that I missed
Galdr says:
OOC:
Takeshi's readied spell should have volleyed into the three hostiles since they refused to halt (reaction would have occurred when they hurriedly sought to continue): 7 to the chime yuan-ti, 3 to each goon.

I'll tie my boots and prepare to hustle, though wait for Turner to post (since she has counterspell) before doing so :D
OOC:
Good plan
Aug 10, 2021 12:21 pm
OOC:
oops typo on the roll here is the extra d8, do you want me to roll vs Poison? also were we able to rest and heal after the bugs because otherwise I may be in trouble
Last edited August 10, 2021 12:23 pm

Rolls

other d8 - (1d8)

(7) = 7

Aug 10, 2021 12:38 pm
The_Librarian says:
OOC:
oops typo on the roll here is the extra d8, do you want me to roll vs Poison? also were we able to rest and heal after the bugs because otherwise I may be in trouble
OOC:
Yes you were fully rested after the bug encounter. You had a long rest between the citadel and this planet.
And there is no roll vs the poison, it is just extra poison damage.
Aug 10, 2021 10:45 pm
The chimes, the sarcophagus that seemed to want to burst forth some entity and the groans of pain from their own people seemed more than enough stimulus to cause the most stalwart among them to pause. However, the evil mage slithering around had chose not to leave the clouding of the party's minds to primal fear but to deliver it magically. Turner saw the familiar weave twist to form a nightmare for each of them but before the magic could be delivered the dark images encountered a quick burst of air essentially blowing out the magic like a candle. No! Not today! Your reign of fear has come to an end.

Rolls

Counterspell - (1d20+8)

(7) + 8 = 15

Aug 11, 2021 12:11 am
OOC:
rolling for my gnome cunning...
... result still sucks.
Last edited August 11, 2021 12:12 am

Rolls

Wisdom save adv vs Fear DC 15 - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Aug 11, 2021 10:01 am
Turner countered the fear spell, much to the abominations annoyance. He hisses with much malice.
OOC:
Take your actions
load next

Thread locked