2: The Citadel

load previous
Aug 17, 2021 2:20 pm
OOC:
Turner is at P9
Aug 20, 2021 6:14 am
OOC:
I'm taking a default action (cantrip) on behalf of Tonic, to keep the combat going
The Malison steps out of the fire and around Vanessa. First, it makes a strike with its sword but then it tries to shove Vanessa into the fire, but she is too strong and worked up.
OOC:
Malison strenght(Athletics) vs Vanessa Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check.
The Abomination just lost its prey and launches itself on Tonic, coils around him, and bite him.
OOC:
It is the players turn

runekyndig sent a note to runekyndig

Rolls

Tonic, gnome artificer (D&D 5e): Cantrip: Acid Splash vs Malison - (1d20+6, 2d6)

1d20+6 : (16) + 6 = 22

2d6 : (33) = 6

Malison strenght(Athletics) - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Vanessa: Athletics (advantage due to Rage) - (1d20+7, 1d20+7)

1d20+7 : (19) + 7 = 26

1d20+7 : (6) + 7 = 13

Malison sword attack vs Vanessa - (1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d20+5 : (19) + 5 = 24

1d6+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Abomination Constrict Tonic - (1d20+7, 2d6+4)

1d20+7 : (15) + 7 = 22

2d6+4 : (23) + 4 = 9

Abomination Bite Tonic (adv due to restrained) piercing/poison damage - (1d20+7, 1d20+7, 1d6+4, 3d6)

1d20+7 : (1) + 7 = 8

1d20+7 : (16) + 7 = 23

1d6+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

3d6 : (116) = 8

Aug 20, 2021 12:35 pm
The elf mentally calculated the situation. He moved with a relative swiftness toward the sarcophagus, then pivoted to arc back between the yuan-ti just beyond their grasp. He spun and loosed a pulse of arcane force, seeking to fling the abomination and malison back into the center of the temple.
OOC:
Move to L17, to O17, P18.

Cast Thunderwave converted to a force wave centered between Abomination and Malison, angled to push malison into the flames.

Malison, Abomination, and Vanessa (sorry!) need to make a DC 13 Con. Take force damage and become pushed back 10ft on a fail. Take half damage and resist push on a save.

Finish move to Q18

Rolls

Force Damage for Thunderwave - (2d8)

(75) = 12

Cloud of Flames damage if anyone enters - (6d4)

(422433) = 18

Aug 20, 2021 12:50 pm
OOC:
I will back any idear my players have, but the Malison and Vanessa and the Abomination are more than 15 feet apart. You can't get them all into a 15 feet cube. The yellow squar is the flaming cloud, and pushing Malison requires both Vanessa and the Malison to fail their saves.
I'll enable the grid to make it easier to see.
Aug 20, 2021 4:16 pm
OOC:
The 15ft cube oriented diagonally passes over the square of the abomination.
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/677156577731674117/878310705512722483/unknown.png

Thunderwave doesn't state "pushed 10ft unless someone or something obstructs their path" so I'm not sure how Vanessa is sufficient to halt the malison's movement. I've witnessed plenty of things get blown over or around objects of similar size with sufficient force.

Edit: Alternatively, to make this less back-and-forth, he will ready the spell to detonate once Vanessa moves out of the way. V could sidestep up and right, grapple, and still drag the snake-ling into the flames on her turn if it doesn't fail the initial con save.

Last edited August 20, 2021 4:26 pm
Aug 20, 2021 4:47 pm
OOC:
Exelent! Vanessa has maneuvered herself to get out of the way, but not provoke an attack of opportunity.
Both yuan-ti are unfaced by the thunderwave, but blood is trickling from the Abominations nose.
The Malison is tossed through the room and lands in the cloud of fire, where he spasms once and lay still. The smell of burned meat will soon fill the room. The Abomination is also struck by the thunderwave and blood is trickling from its nose and ears.
OOC:
Its bloodied

Rolls

Malison con save DC 13 - (1d20+1)

(13) + 1 = 14

Abomination con save DC 13 - (1d20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

Aug 20, 2021 6:46 pm
Unable to move away, Tonic take a pouch out and throws it behind the abomination causing a ball of fire bursting to life behind it, searing the abomination's back...
OOC:
casting flaming sphere (dex save dc 14) behind the abomination
[ +- ] flaming sphere

Rolls

flaming sphere damage - (2d6)

(23) = 5

Aug 20, 2021 6:54 pm
OOC:
Rune, my apologies, but I have locked tier one character DCs into my brain. Takeshi has a DC of 16 for his spells due to being a 5th level wizard with a +1 arcane girmoire. Again, my bad. Feel free to maintain the DC for the saves, and I'll endeavor to remember this for the future.

Tonic, great reframing for your situation by casting a spell that damages the foe so long as they hold still!
Last edited August 20, 2021 6:55 pm
Aug 20, 2021 7:18 pm
OOC:
Galdr no worries. Have updated my post. Score a kill
Tonic can feel the snake tail around tense up as fire damage is added to the abomination's afflictions.

Rolls

Abomination Dex save - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Aug 20, 2021 11:07 pm
OOC:
Thanks for the generosity, and huzzah!
Aug 21, 2021 12:01 am
Vanessa remains fixated squarely on the remaining malison, raking her claws with labored grunts and gnashing teeth.
OOC:
Well I think one of my attacks hit. This is for the 2 damage they gave me.
Last edited August 21, 2021 12:04 am

Rolls

Attack 1 - (1d20+6)

(2) + 6 = 8

Attack 2 - (1d20+6)

(1) + 6 = 7

Free Claw attack - (1d20+6)

(16) + 6 = 22

Claws damage (slashing) - (1d6+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Aug 21, 2021 5:25 am
With the fight seemingly coming under control, Khezzik turns his attention to the yuan-ti bound to the altar.

"Hello," he says to the malison, speaking Draconic. "This one and friends are heroes with the shouting and killing, come to rescue you."

If the pureblood is unconscious, he will administer a healing potion (using Cunning Action to do it with his Mage Hand) while attempting to free the malison from its bonds.
OOC:
How are the yuan-ti bound to the altar? If ropes, Khezzik can probably just cut them. If chains, he will use his tools to pick the locks.
Aug 21, 2021 5:48 am
The good yuan-ti are bound to the altar with leather straps. The pureblood woman is severely injured but as soon as she taste the healing potion, she grabs the bottle drinks two-thirds of it. The rest she applies on her chest and arms that have been severely burned.

The good Malison stands up and looks around for a weapon. Thank you, friend and hero. Our work is not yet done. He goes to the body of the nearest evil Malison and takes its weapon.
Vanessa stepped aside from the thunder wave that killed her own target. But she can easily find a spot around the abomination to sink her claws into.
OOC:
This guy is in trouble and he knows it. Unless someone objects I'm going to end the combat here.

Aug 21, 2021 6:06 am
Surrounded by magic-users, better than him, his guards down and the prisoners freed, the abomination only chance is to excape. He uncoils from Tonic and rushes to the door with blades and spells biting into his scales. He rushes down the stairs with a brief moment of exaltation as he got away from the pesky adventures. At the bottom of the stairs, the oppressor finds the oppressed. Sticks and stone may break your bones and the gripply have plenty. Before you catch up to the yuan-ti abomination the gripply have killed it.
It is a gruesome sight as they continue to bash the dead body with rocks and hit it with sticks.
Aug 21, 2021 6:08 am
Strength returned as Turner's head momentarily leaned back against the sarcophagus. A slight grimace creased the wizard's face at the bitterness of the healing potion. Why couldn't it ever taste pleasant like lemon or mint?

Rolls

Healing potion - (2d4+4)

(31) + 4 = 8

Aug 22, 2021 12:13 am
Vanessa doesn't like that the abomination is fleeing one bit. In fact: it only compels her to chase after it; she rushes down the stairs where it's beset upon by the grippli hoard which she joins in, stomping and kicking it with aggressive force. This goes on for a few seconds until she realizes they're down, and there are no more targets. Without something to fight her wild side is pushed back in it's mental box, and she's left with normal (albeit bloodied) hands. She'll pour a little water from her waterskin and rub her hands as she walks back up the stairs, leaving the grippli to work out their frustration.

She regains her composure and surveys her companions conditions, hoping she can get everyone's mind off of her...episode. Vanessa internally curses forgetting to inform them. "Well, that was rather...rousing. Everyone alright?"
Aug 22, 2021 12:36 pm
"I didn't turn into a barrel this time so I consider it successful" he smiles weakly. " I'm not sure what is happening here though"
Aug 22, 2021 2:47 pm
Khezzik is very excited, scurrying about the place and re-enacting the most exciting parts of the battle. "Whoosh. Boom! He he hee..." He mimics Vanessa's fight with the malisons, sheathing his dagger and suddenly raising his arms above his head, hands curled like talons, with a shout of "Secret monster! Rah!"
Aug 22, 2021 6:21 pm
Vanessa feels a little bashful at such a...performative retelling. "Oh, that little thing?" She chuckles to relieve some of her tension, but it only makes her feel silly. At least no one seems outwardly terrified, actually it may have improved her social standing for once. "Just a, ah...defense mechanism. Rest assured I have control of my actions, and I don't eat people." Better to get the common questions out of the way.

"...A barrel?" Vanessa can only ponder the scenario leading up to such an effect, perhaps she'll- oh right, the prisoners. She'll help either break free of their restraints if needed, trying to treat them with a gentle touch. "Can you move? We're here to help, is there any information you can give?"
Aug 22, 2021 7:34 pm
Aftermath:
The captured yuan-ti are overcome with joy. They tell you that they hail from a land to the south. They were called into service by the deity they know as the Scaled Mother and followed her portents as they traveled north. They began excavating the old temple, with the grippli’s consent, in the expectation of finding relics left behind by the yuan-ti that raided through this area in ages past. They were unable to open the lid of the sarcophagus once they unearthed it and were in the process of clearing rubble from the courtyard stairs when the evil yuan-ti descended on the village and captured all the followers of the Scaled Mother.

The chime and the lantern the malisons were carrying are of significant quality. But apart from the sarcophagus, there is nothing else of real interest in the temple room.
OOC:
Do you examin the sarcophagus further?
Outside you find the remains of the yuan-ti abomination, missing its head and the Grippli gone. You find them back in the village, where the sight of fallen leader causes the remaining yuan-ti to flee.

With the threat to the area neutralized, it doesn’t take long for things to return to normal. When the grippli prisoners realize that the characters have persevered, they waste no time getting the news to the village and the trading post. The refugees return home, and within a tenday the frogfolk have repaired any damage to the crab pens and are back in business.

The benevolent yuan-ti, once they recover from their wounds, decide to continue digging out the temple. It will take them 2 weeks to open up to the tempels lower levels.
OOC:
Do you stay to explore the temple's lower levels? It would be some dungeon crawling
https://i.imgur.com/vEBoy7Y.png

The returning grippli are so ecstatic that Pond Mother offers to perform a ceremony for your benefit, called the ritual of friend marking.
OOC:
Do you accept?
load next

Thread locked