1.1 - The Wyr River: Into the Earth

Feb 2, 2015 1:05 pm
Morning breaks and everyone is feeling better. The new day brings new opportunities, and hopes for vengeance and/or justice for your fallen comrades. The dead are buried, but not forgotten. Note was even taken of each plot so that families can be notified.

Divy up the cyphers as you see fit and update your character sheets.

Once the campfire is put out, you all gather around the mud wash as Khoren ensures everyone he knows what he is doing with this artifact. Twisting a few knobs and touching the screen, he aims it at the ground where there was clearly a depression, keeping the device at its lowest power setting trying to conserve what little power remains. The screen shows solid dirt and a few stones. Upping the power just a little more reveals an opening, a small cavern or tunnel, it's hard to tell. It looks, however, large enough for everyone get into.

Looking at the power level, Khoren believes that there is enough power to soften the earth long enough for everyone to get through.

"Who's first?"
Feb 2, 2015 5:26 pm
"I can see in the dark just fine without the cypher, but I can't protect everyone by myself if there's a fight. I'll go first and someone follows with the Cat's Eye ready."
Feb 3, 2015 4:42 am
"I'm ready when you are."
Feb 3, 2015 2:19 pm
"I'll keep the artifact going and descend last, but you better hurry!"
Feb 3, 2015 3:25 pm
Khoren points the device at the ground and presses the button. A slight hum eminates and he indicates to the rest of the party that it is time to go. Osred steps into the depression and is immediately swallowed up by the earth. Without hesitating, Darazen follows and then Utazo. Finally, Khoren steps in holding the device and all that is left are the buzzing of the insects and the sounds of the river flowing by.

Osred drops into a tunnel and is instantly engulfed in darkness, momentarily blinded as all the light of the morning sun suddenly vanishes. Reaching out, he feels a wall in front of him and an air pocket to his right. Hoping the floor holds out, he steps there knowing that if he does not move, Darazen will be landing on top of him.

Almost on queue, he hears the sound of someone else coming through. His eyes adjusting to the darkness, he sees Darazen and reaches out to his arm, "you might want to step this way". Darazen's eyes are wide, trying to take in as much light as they can. He steps to his right Andes starting to see shapes and shadows when Utazo comes down.

Utazo, knowing it was going to be dark, was not ready for this. He knows he stopped, landing on solid ground, but with no light source what so ever, he starts to panic. Can he breath, or has he been buried alive? He feels hands reach out and grab him, pulling him towards them. Are they the hands of demons, or his friends? Instinctively, he reaches for his dagger with one hand and his necklace with the other. More fear as his hand does not find his necklace. The hands release him and he takes a defensive posture. He might not be able to see them, but he will defend himself.

The sound of a hum and the sigh of Khoren when he lands breaks the silence mere seconds later. The artifact's screen adds a chilly, dim light to the room, enough for Utazo and Khoren to see a short distance and assure both the the party is intact and not injured. The power indicator looks almost completely drained; it might be able to fire a few of those sonic attacks, but no more. The power unit needs to be recharged or replaced. Keeping the screen on won't help either.
Looking around, you are in a small chamber, an opening in the tunnel that leads in both directions. The ceiling is about 10-11 foot tall and looks solid. The walls are stone with some ore deposites veined through it. Some sections of the rock give way to dirt, packed tight and re-enforced with a synth netting. Surely this tunnel is not as natural as it appears at first.

The path north turns east almost immediately and the floor starts to lead up while the ceiling does not. About 15 ft in, a small pool of water has formed from the trickle coming from the wall. As the tunnel continues, it turns north again for 30 ft before the floor meets the ceiling.

The tunnel to the south seems more open and turns gradually to the east with a slight declination. The floor seems more worn and there are scraps of man made materials. The walls become less dirt and more stone, worked in some areas, but mostly natural. After about 100 yards or so, the tunnel splits, continuing east or south.

Those in front will see a glow coming from the southern tunnel. Stopped here, there are sounds of someone or something moving to the south.

A rush of wind momentarily blows from the east and a stench rides it. There are sounds, feint, but there none the less coming from the eastern tunnel as well.

(intellect roll to perceive more details).
Feb 3, 2015 4:28 pm
"I hope that smell isn't any of you guys?" Darazen states humorously.
Focusing his senses, Darazen tries to determine the significance of the smell and the movement.

(Intellect check was to recognize smell - apply knowledge, no effort)
Last edited February 3, 2015 9:34 pm

Rolls

Intelligence roll - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Feb 3, 2015 5:48 pm
(I want to add, if people are not claiming the cyphers I can carry 2 more)
Feb 3, 2015 6:37 pm
There isn't any cypher I want to claim, but we should decide who carries what. May become important later. Osred can safely carry 2. There's enough daggers for everyone, and one other for each. Again, I'll just take whichever is left.
Merlin, what do we know about Darazen? What was his job in the company?

Osred will search the surroundings.

Rolls

Intellect roll - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Feb 3, 2015 7:06 pm
KNaranek says:
There isn't any cypher I want to claim, but we should decide who carries what. May become important later. Osred can safely carry 2. There's enough daggers for everyone, and one other for each. Again, I'll just take whichever is left.
Merlin, what do we know about Darazen? What was his job in the company?

Osred will search the surroundings.
Remember, all activity checks are a 1D20.
Feb 3, 2015 7:13 pm
You have seen Darazen around camp, but he isn't particularly sociable, usually buried in his books, studying. He was introduced to you by the captain as the caravan academic. His role is to gather information for the company, and interpret it if possible. You have already witnessed a couple of his skills, namely telepathy and scanning.
Feb 3, 2015 7:32 pm
GM note: Technically, there were three areas or rooms to search. Since we have a diverse group, spread over the world, I want to give everyone a chance to read and explore. If you searching or examining anything, please tell me where and what you are looking at. Also, I am trying to tell you the difficulties for activities (when applicable)... Please make sure you telling me any effort or skill you mighta be applying.
Feb 3, 2015 8:26 pm
Khoren shuts down the artifact, and stows it away securely. It may be the only way out. Drawing two punch daggers, he hunkers into a stealthy crouch. Making eye-contact with each of the others in turn and a giving a slight nod to each, he leads the way toward the east, senses keenly focused for impending danger.

Rolls

Intellect check, investigating the eastern tunnel - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Feb 3, 2015 11:04 pm
Recovering from her initial panic and finally regaining her senses Utazó quietly says, "I'm going to take a look at this southern tunnel, maybe follow it for a short distance and report back here." With her right hand on the hilt of her sword she slowly works her way down the tunnel inspecting what she can as she moves along.

Rolls

Intellect Roll for inspection - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Feb 4, 2015 12:25 am
(Not sure if out of line here, GM please correct if needed)

A figure stumbles from the southern tunnel that Utazo is inspecting, hand on a strange curved weapon. Her red/black cloak is streaked with mud, and her eyes are wild. She breathes heavily.

"Who-who are you?!"
Feb 4, 2015 4:15 am
Uncertain about what is happening, and whether the new arrival is friend or foe, Darazen refocuses his attention on the new arrival. noticing she doesn't appear to be a mudman, he attempts the read her body language. Is she a threat?

(Intellect check - friend or foe?)

She hears a voice in her head, **stand down**
Last edited February 4, 2015 4:16 am

Rolls

Friend or foe? - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Feb 4, 2015 4:24 am
Darazen, you are very certain this is a friend.
Feb 4, 2015 4:36 am
"I don't like people who don't mess with my head. Next time, you lose yours," the woman sbarls. Her grip tightens on the hilt of her sword. "Now answer me, with no mind games. Who are you?"
Feb 4, 2015 4:54 am
Khoren, hearing the exchange behind him, pauses, and waits for the commotion to escalate or to subside. Trusting his companions, he keeps his attention mainly focused on further threats that may be drawn from the east tunnel.
Feb 4, 2015 10:55 am
grandmaster says:
Darazen, you are very certain this is a friend.
Or should I say, she is not one of the mudmen you are chasing.
Feb 4, 2015 11:38 am
Osred puts away his dagger and steps forward.
"My name is Osred. The last thing that found us killed most us, so we're not in a good mood. Your turn."
He'll try to defuse the tension, trained social interaction skill check.

Rolls

Social interaction skill check - (1d20)

(1) = 1

load next

Thread locked