A 5e Endeavor: The War of Wishes

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 27, 2021 8:41 pm
The War of Wishes (REDUX)
An Adventure for 3 or 4 New Recruits and 1 Founding Party member

Disclaimer:
This is a continuation of a game that kinda just died, but my last player didn't want to see it end and asked me to recruit new additions rather than just let it fester. So here is the dead thread skim over it to get an idea of what to expect and what the heck is going on.

Story:
Waking up in a strange place you don't remember going to sleep in is a bad start to anyone's day. Waking up in an ominous low lit Mansion surrounded by people you don't know sounds like something out of a nightmare. Add on a rumbling soul piercing voice telling you that it stole your name and is now forcing you to fight your way out of a deathtrap and any lesser person would shutdown. However, you're not ordinary people, now are you. Fight your way through the Manor of Origin, survive it's horrors, Save it's other unfortunate prisoners, learn its deep dark secrets, and perhaps prepare yourselves for the War on the horizon.

Setting:
Welcome to the 1920's, the wild time of unending progress and vice. The mundane world carries on in it's revelry, a World War over and done, an economic boom, booze, drugs and other such vices at an all time high, the world is one big shining party and everyone is joining in. In the light of the Moon however hides the world of magic, the same as ever. Mages conducting their research, conducting their experiments and taking what they want from the increasingly oblivious masses, and the Church protecting human kind from what they consider to be corrupted and dangerous. The two factions play their games, wage their wars, and conduct their "buisness" at the expense of the mundane world. So long as the public doesn't find out anything is fair game, mortal lives, ethics, morals, who cares, the only thing keeping one faction from dominating the world is the other faction. Knowledge of this world is to dance with death, without a faction to "protect" you, but not all agree with either of their rules and treatment of the World. Magic and Mundane, the Light and the Dark. Each with their dangers and rewards.

Meta
Players will take up the mantle of a third character in a world of crime and magic. Certain classes may come with faction ties (either ongoing or past relations), otherwise players are free to choose their place in the world. A member of either faction, supporting or detracting of their ways, a freelancer free from their control but in danger of angering either, or just some hapless mundane fool who stumble his way into the dark and is now desperately trying to survive.

Character Creation
Third level Characters, Point Buy System, A somewhat thought out back story to build on.
Use any resource book available that you want, even homebrew if you can convince me on it. All races are available though some may come with stipulations about affiliation, such as for Aasimar or Tieflings, mainly those two.

Rules of Play
After the disaster that was the first go round i'd very much prefer it if those who apply are able to handle posting at least every couple of days. I'd love an everyday post but that seems kinda unrealistic at this point. As always this is a game , life takes precedence, so don't worry if something comes up and you aren't able to post as often as i'd like, so long as you tell me it'll be fine.
There will be a discord sever for the players to converse out of character, plan, roleplay long rests, yell at me for being evil, ect.
For combat, i tend to use theater of the mind for maps on GP, thats open to discussion later but its how I'm doing things currently

Application
A description of your Character, Name, Class, Ect.
a bit of the characters backstory
Your experience with 5e (no worries if ya have none just need to know)
This ain't exactly a first come first served type of deal, but i'll be looking periodically to look for players i like. No given period of time before i start picking.
Jul 28, 2021 1:43 am
This is very interesting!
I have few questions tho!

How much focus in RP this campaign is? Because I've been thinking in create a Wizard Illusionist character, base on the 20s illusionists and silent film directors and actors. I would play as Human Variant and take the Actor feat and create illusions to change my appearance and etc.

Also, you mentioned different factions, i would like to know more to see how that would affect this character.
Jul 28, 2021 2:16 am
This sounds interesting. I'll think up a character and try to post up tomorrow. I could definitely post just about every day.
Jul 28, 2021 2:20 am
I really like RP so I'd like a decent amount, I'm all for some fantasy drama, it ain't for everyone though. I'll definitely be putting in plenty of opportunities for RP but you don't necessarily need to take them.

Also neat concept, that would definitely make for an interesting character to interact with.

As for factions. On one side are Mages ( any and all types of casters ), they're basically one big University type entity, researching and strengthen magic by almost any means. Lots of internal struggles/ assassinations between long standing mage families for standing in the " University". Not every mage is a part of this "University" or agrees with its rules and methods, but it still stands as the best place to research and learn about magic.
On the other is The Church. Pretty standard fair here, Destroy the heretic ( read mages ), demons, and monsters of the world in order to protect humanity. Specifically humanity. Paladins, Clerics and Rouges are common. They hunt demons, undead, anything that could be considered a threat to humanity ( read The Church). Big ole Racists though, They begrudgingly work with the human like races ( elves, dwarves ect.), they despise more exotic races but don't attack them (publically). Tiefling s and Aasinar are kill on sight. (Demons and False gods)

The Freelancers, those who know about the magic but don't subscribe to a faction, mercenaries, item craftsmen, mafia ect, and any other shmuck unlucky enough to stumble in and not get himself immediately killed for it,
Jul 28, 2021 2:58 am
Oh That's nice! Thanks for the information! I'm going to finish my character and post the application here when I have time tomorrow!
Jul 28, 2021 6:04 pm
I have applied to the game.
Jul 28, 2021 7:49 pm
It's my first time using these commands, so I hope it works
https://preview.redd.it/oa2qtwqch0g21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=e6573f538a0b93eb3f7a70a0dc5b10069b69d0eb
Name: Luc Melies
Race: Human
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Class: Wizard (School of Illusion)
Background: Entertainer
Story: Luc has always shown a passion for the performing arts, and his father was certainly responsible for that. The old man was a Illusionist who performed at small events, bars and birthday parties. The money wasn't so good, but for Luc it didn't matter, George Melies was his greatest hero.

As an adult, Luc started his own path to becoming an Illusionist. In the beginning, he even entered the University of the Mages, but due to some disagreements, he left the university and decided to face the streets and build your legacy the same way your father did, in small events, bars and birthday parties.

Luc dreams of being one of the greats, he is obsessed with silent movies and tells everyone that one day he will direct his own film. But while the glory days do not come, Luc performs and studies to become a better and well-known Illusionist, and because of that, he must deal with various dangers that lie in wait, such as the Mages' interest in his abilities, the Church fanaticism and, of course, lack of money.
So, this is the character! I tried to create a backstory with space to build on like you said.

I have two questions about the character creation:

I choose the Entertainer background and it gives me proficiency in Acrobatics and Performance, can I trade Acrobatics for Deception? I think would make more sense because Luc is more focus on create big illusions instead of doing dangerous stunts.

And the other question is about Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, the book has this optional feature for Wizard, is that okay with you?

Quote:
Cantrip Formulas
3rd-level wizard optional feature

You have scribed a set of arcane formulas in your spellbook that you can use to formulate a cantrip in your mind. Whenever you finish a long rest and consult those formulas in your spellbook, you can replace one wizard cantrip you know with another cantrip from the wizard spell list.
Aug 6, 2021 6:11 pm
A heads up, 2 spots already been taken. Interesting stuff and the usual suspect got in, naturally.
Aug 6, 2021 8:10 pm
Antiproduct says:
A heads up, 2 spots already been taken. Interesting stuff and the usual suspect got in, naturally.
The usual suspect? Am I Keyser Söze? Damn, I leveled up.
Aug 17, 2021 9:06 am
Qralloq says:
Antiproduct says:
The usual suspect? Am I Keyser Söze? Damn, I leveled up.
You're beyond leveling up, I think you've hit the level cap, maybe even got beyond it.

(needless reply for bumping thread - at least a spot left, fun times.)
Aug 29, 2021 6:56 pm
Hey there... new guy here, definitely interested, just a couple of questions
1) are there commonplace guns as in the real 20ies? Which ruleset do they follow?
2) are we in the US?
3) will there be combat or mostly traps, exploration, roleplay etc? Will a mundane Fighter or Barbarian be more or less useless?
Aug 30, 2021 2:15 am
There will be guns, mostly consistent with what was available in the 20’s, perhaps a few from a couple years down the road. I use a homebrew system of firearms with optional rules and feats.
At the moment the campaign is in a pocket dimension, but will eventually take place in Massachusetts.
There will be a healthy mix of everything available, note freedom later down the line but for now yer stuck in a death trap.
No class is useless, and you don’t need magic to participate, ultimately how effective you are in the campaign comes down to you and what you wanna do.
Aug 30, 2021 4:45 am
Hi there! Very sorry if I am way too late to this but this is a really cool concept for a game! Let me know if you have room in the party for a gunslinging centaur bootlegger :P

I’ve played a bunch of 5e and I can certainly post at least once a day as I’m only in one other game at the moment 😊
[ +- ] Character Concept
Aug 30, 2021 9:25 am
Here's my submission. Former Germanic soldier in WWI, comes to the US looking for means to study magic, and becomes a "soldier" for the mob as his only job.
I have vast experience with 5ed (2 full campaigns from lvl 1 to 8, one as player one as GM) and with play by post. Can guarantee at least a post every other day, quite possibly even once a day.
[ +- ] Gregory Vosko - concept

You do not have permission to post in this thread.