Manor of Origin (REDUX)

load previous
Jul 10, 2022 7:22 pm
A wave of magical energy wash over Inquisitor’s senses. It carries with it a deep seated feeling of decay, it’s originating from deeper within the forest, though the distance is uncertain to you. You could likely could lead the group to it without much issue.
Jul 12, 2022 10:26 am
"I'm sensing the source of this decay somewhere towards that direction, near what I only assume to be the center of this forest. I can't tell how far it is though."

Gharn sighs as he draws his sword from his back;
"Let's press onwards; I really want to take that bath and relax by the fire as much as this place permits." he said and begun to weave his path through the forest.
Jul 12, 2022 12:17 pm
"Couldn’t agree more," says Louis, cheerfully, having finally disentangled Eris from the broken holster. As he follows Inquisitor into the depths of the sickly forest, he tries to use his familiarity with the terrain and his knack for stealth to help the party travel quietly through the woods.
Last edited July 12, 2022 12:31 pm

Rolls

Stealth? - (1d20+6)

(1) + 6 = 7

Jul 12, 2022 3:12 pm
"Ooo, decay, excellent," the death priestess says, her grip tightening on her warhammer.
Jul 12, 2022 10:08 pm
Faux nods his assent as well and picks up Andromeda.

The group slowly makes their way forward, following Inquistor’s trail of decay. The webs only seems to become thicker, often tripping up Chariot as his light steps seem to allow it to accumulate and stick his hooves together… somehow. It’s quite impressive if you think about it.

As the trek continues on, the group notices something else that’s unnatural in the supposed feywild. Not a single sound was being made (aside from the muttered curses of Chariot). No chittering of insects, no leaves rustling in the breeze, no animals. Absolute silence.

The group, after a good hour of walking, stumble into a clearing. Straight into another nightmare. In this small clearing free of trees, are dozens upon dozens of bodies. Their size and skin color are varied, as are their style of clothing ( if any), the materials are all plantlike. Many of the bodies are crumbling away, withered as if the life had been sucked right out of them. Others appear to be gutted, blood pooling into the dead grass. The smaller ones have been smashed their limbs twisted at odd angles.
Fey, the spirits of the forest. Nyaids, Dryaids, sprites, pixies, all those little fairytale creatures. All dead.
Jul 13, 2022 7:27 am
"I forgot how much I hate this fucking place," Louis grumbles to himself as he tries in vain to shake yet another scrap of spiderweb off his hoof. His frustration is quickly forgotten however, when he sees the carnage in the clearing. His expression darkens. "Does it feel like we’re getting close to the source of the decay, Inquisitor?" he asks, as he moves into the clearing to get a closer look at the bodies. "I’d prefer not to let whoever did this continue to live for a moment longer than necessary."
OOC:
Making a medicine check to try to determine how long the fey have been dead for…
Last edited July 13, 2022 12:23 pm

Rolls

Medicine - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

Jul 14, 2022 1:57 am
Unfortunately, due the timeless nature of the fey ( or at least this variety of nature spirits) decomposition doesn’t occur. The nyaids and dryaids really should have disappeared while their actual body ( trees,ponds, creeks) should have withered and died. Obviously this has been happening but it’s odd that the humanoid form remains. As for the pixies and sprites… it’s hard to tell, many have been turned into fine red paste, the other more intact ones appear to be relatively fresh but again who knows.

You can however gather a bit more information on the injures inflicted upon the poor souls. Among the crumbling corpses you discover a common theme. A clear indentation of a fairly large hand is visible on the neck of the victim, the fingernails seem to have been broken clawing at something extremely hard, the eyes are bloodshot and tearstains are also fairly common. Nyaids and Dryaids seem to be exclusively killed in this way. Strangled and leeched somehow.

The Eladrin corpses are just awful to look at, as they are ones to have been gutted. Usually disembowelment is carried out with a bladed weapon… this is not the case. If the ragged hole in the dead center of the stomach and the crushed appearance of the innards are any indication, something shoved its hand directly inside and then ripped out the organs, likely leaving the victim to bleed out in excruciating pain.

As for the tiny ones… the ones that are pasted were likely the lucky ones, at least you hope so. The intact ones were likely tortured to death. Having their limbs slowly twisted until they broke, and then twisted further, and further. The looks on their faces will likely never leave you.

Whatever has done this seems to like their victims to suffer as much as possible before they die. Which speaks to a creature of unspeakable evil and cruelty. But the one positive to all this is the fact that given what you’ve learned, this isn’t the scene of a massacre. No this is just the killing floor, where it brings all its victims to inflict its sick murders.

Which means it’ll come back eventually.
Jul 14, 2022 3:47 am
After that's passed on, she says, "You're saying this is a serial killer, a hunter of the fey? You know, that sounds exactly like another fey."
Jul 14, 2022 4:00 am
Louis turns away from the massacred fey, angered and disgusted by what he’s discovered. He frowns at Banshee. "Another fey? How so?"
Last edited July 14, 2022 4:01 am
Jul 14, 2022 4:05 am
Faux scratches his chin in thought, while gently shoving Andromeda’s head further into his cloak.

"Are you talking about those Winter Court fairies? I know they’re kinda harsh but this is a bit much even for them."

Rolls

Luc Méliès: Arcana - (1d20+6)

(7) + 6 = 13

Jul 14, 2022 9:34 pm
"I know little of such things but my grandmother told me once to fear their wtath for it can be terrible to behold."

She looks around. "A creature such as that must leave big tracks."

Rolls

Survival for tracking - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Jul 15, 2022 3:16 am
Banshee kneels down in order to search for tracks.
However in doing so she comes into contact with the pooled blood of many corpses.
Normally this wouldn’t do anything, however with her powers being recently reinforced, and the sheer amount of suffering present in the area. A rather adverse effect takes place.

Banshee finds herself overwhelmed with the pained screams of dozens of souls. Starting quiet but quickly growing louder. The area visible darkens, magical circuits activate with ominous black light. Shadowy figures rise from the corpses and then all at once they scream, Banshee’s voice joining in the choruse.
Howling Wraiths

Faux and Inquisitor freeze in place as the dreams continue to echo in their heads.
Chariot grimaces as a massive pain flashes briefly in his head.
The wraiths soon dissipate, leaving Banshee panting with a very sore throat.

Rolls

Gharn Greycastle: Wisdom save - (1d20+0)

(1) = 1

Luc Méliès: Wisdom save - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Louis Dupont: Wisdom save - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Jul 16, 2022 12:29 am
Louis staggers a little from the pain, but manages to shake it off before it takes hold of him like it did Inquisitor and Faux. "Banshee! Are you okay? What the hell was that?"
Jul 16, 2022 3:28 am
She wipes a tear from her cheek, furious at herself for losing control. "I don't know. This blood, it's tainted and I felt... I felt something pass through me. The pain of all these tortured souls. Death is here, and I'm the conduit."
Jul 16, 2022 2:32 pm
"…I see. Well, on the bright side, I don’t think we’ll have to track down the monster now. If it has ears, it knows we’re here." Noticing that Inquisitor and Faux appear to have been frozen in place by Banshee’s screams, Louis grabs Inquisitor by the shoulder and gives him a shake. "Snap out of it, old man. Whatever killed these fey is probably on its way back here right now. We need to be ready."
Last edited July 16, 2022 2:44 pm
Jul 16, 2022 7:22 pm
She stands. "Yes, can we ambush it? Focus it's attention and strike all at once?"
Jul 16, 2022 7:58 pm
Gharn, still obviously shaken tries to snap out of it;
"I think it's our best shot, yeah."

He nods at Chariot muttering a thank you and he deploys his shield.

"I can defend myself the most out of our group; I'll be the bait, you go hide."
OOC:
As soon as everyone has taken good cover and signal him, Gharn will use a minor illusion to let an amplified "come out and meet your doom you foul thing" yell.
Jul 17, 2022 1:34 am
After being forcefully shaken from what seemed like an eternity of screaming, Inquisitor squares up for the coming fight. If the slow shaking of the trees is any indication it’ll be here soon. As he deploys his shield, ( which happens to be on the Fae Arm), the infection proceeds to spread to the shield. Changing it into a long thin kite shield, resembling the rusty scabbard.+1 AC

Faux also shakes him out of the screaming hell, and quickly moves into cover, clutching Andromeda in one arm.

Rolls

Banshee: Stealth (advantage) - (2d20H1-1)

(812) - 1 = 11

Louis Dupont: Stealth (advantage) - (2d20H1+6)

(156) + 6 = 21

Luc Méliès: Stealth (advantage) - (2d20H1+1)

(123) + 1 = 13

Jul 17, 2022 2:48 am
Louis finds a good tree to take cover behind at the south-west edge of the clearing and prepares to shoot whatever comes charging into the clearing the moment he sees it.
OOC:
Readying an action to attack the monster as soon as he sees it
Jul 17, 2022 3:28 am
Banshee will prepare a spell, and will want to cast Guiding Bolt on whatever charges from the trees.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.