General Chat

load previous
Nov 19, 2023 7:47 pm
TheGenerator says:
... Are you going to actively recruit people or just wait for players to find their way here? ...
Since this is a game for new players, we mostly rely on them finding us when they arrive. Recruiting has less value if they have not arrived yet. :)

We can post a bump in the 'recruitment' thread Games for new players to help those new players find it. Do you want to do that, or should I?
TheGenerator says:
... I have no problem substituting the extra HP with something else. ...
Let's keep to the rules. If we find it is a problem, then we can deal with it.
TheGenerator says:
... Or giving new players the same level as our characters. ...
That should not be necessary in PbtA.
TheGenerator says:
... I'd like to focus on the horned wolf story ...
Do you mean the 'horned-wolf' specifically, or 'the thing that was happening with the temple' in general? The Horned-Wolf is a possible solution or way forward or source of exposition, but you could just charge right in if you don't want to 'investigate'. The conversation with the captain may explain that more.
TheGenerator says:
... seeing the history of players quitting pretty fast ... it would be a shame if that hinders our progress ...
That is a danger, but we will try to keep the story going in vaguely the right direction. The new players should mostly be contributing details around what is going on right now —which does, of course, shape how things proceed— so should not be disrupting the 'progress'. For example, the temple and all that came from player contribution, the horned-wolf was placed on a wall by a player, and so on.

We will place the new player into the world and the current events and let them shape things, but those current events are still happening. If they are more interested in taking a detour, the group will decide where exactly we go right now.

The tricky part is when they add details and then leave. But we will deal with that as it comes up. If it comes to it, we can just 'discover that they were wrong' and there is 'nothing to see here'.
TheGenerator says:
... I'm hoping that you'll have a good way to make detours still work with/be relevant to the current objective. ...
Here's hoping. But this is, first and foremost, still a game for those new players. Our actions are not meant to have far-reaching impact on the world, so we may often get sidetracked by small-time, local/regional issues that don't matter to people one village over. Even the temple and horned-wolf stuff probably does not matter to the city you 'started' from... unless it comes to a head.
TheGenerator says:
... If we're continuing this game (which it looks like we are) I don't see the point in starting up a second game for it. ...
Fair enough. It was just an offer if you guys wanted a game where you could explore your character more deeply (deeper rules) and have larger impact on the world... or were just bored with WoDu.
Nov 19, 2023 8:09 pm
vagueGM says:
We can post a bump in the 'recruitment' thread Games for new players to help those new players find it. Do you want to do that, or should I?
Yeah that's the kind of thing I was thinking of too. Or just by checking introduction threads to see if anyone would fit.
Or a thread like the tinyD6 game.

I'd rather leave it up to you :) but I'm happy to throw in my promotion for it if you'd like.
vagueGM says:
'the thing that was happening with the temple' in general
Yes that. But horned wolf was easier to type :P
vagueGM says:
first and foremost, still a game for those new players. Our actions are not meant to have far-reaching impact on the world
That's a fair point
Nov 19, 2023 8:30 pm
TheGenerator says:
... just by checking introduction threads to see if anyone would fit. ...
I am not very comfortable with self-promotion, so would not post links to this game in each Introduction post. I have not checked in detail, but it seems like Psybermagi's game is a bit more focused on teaching people how to use this site —in the vein of what bowlofspinach used to offer— so that may be more appropriate as a first place to go after Introduction.
TheGenerator says:
... Or a thread like the tinyD6 game. ...
'Like' that in what way? How is that different to the one we have? [ref] Should I add something to ours? Our thread is old, and could possible benefit from a spruce-up.
TheGenerator says:
... I'm happy to throw in my promotion for it if you'd like. ...
I tend to only mention it to player who specifically show interest (in PbtA or something else relevant) —and also tend to only comment in Introduction posts where I actually have something to say (but then I am 'anti-social' :).

By all means, mention this game to anyone you think may benefit. Also on the Discord and such, where I seldom roam.
TheGenerator says:
... horned wolf was easier to type ...
Got it. :)
Nov 19, 2023 8:54 pm
vagueGM says:
is that different to the one we have?
Oh, I didn't know (or forgot) there was one :D Never mind!
vagueGM says:
By all means, mention this game to anyone you think may benefit.
Will do!
Nov 19, 2023 8:59 pm
TheGenerator says:
... Oh, I didn't know (or forgot) there was one :D Never mind! ...
This predates the ability to link games and recruitment threads together, and the thread was for general 'games for new players' so it linked to a few games (making it unlinkable to this game directly). We could make a new thread for this game specifically, and link it, though I am not sure of the benefit aside from possibly being able to find the thread a bit easier.
Nov 19, 2023 9:05 pm
Can you not link the 2 anymore now?
I think just a 'bump' post to bring it back to the first page every now and then would do.
Nov 19, 2023 9:41 pm
TheGenerator says:
Can you not link the 2 anymore now?
It is a two-way linking: The game links to the page, and you set up the link from the game page, so any game can link to any thread; but the thread also links back to the game, and when more than one game links to a thread it can not (last I checked) link back to more than one game... so it picks one, based hard-to-control/-predict factors.
Nov 19, 2023 9:56 pm
Oh that's annoying. Hmm. Well I guess we'll just have to live with it.
Nov 20, 2023 12:58 am
I have cleaned up the organisation of the game a bit.

Check your Subscriptions to see if you need to update them (I will move this thread after posting, that way old Subscriptions will still trigger).
Nov 20, 2023 8:07 am
That's actually great :)
The list in the "Threads" of the bottom red bar was getting a bit long
Nov 20, 2023 8:08 am
TheGenerator says:
The list in the "Threads" of the bottom red bar was getting a bit long
True dat. I was kinda wondering how much more it could take. :)
Feb 7, 2024 4:19 pm
Maybe this person could be a good one to add to this game?
Feb 8, 2024 5:45 am
Will do. I see some interest in PbtA in their User Profile.
May 9, 2024 12:49 pm
So, @GameMaster, are you and Gronk leaving us?

He was an interesting character, do you have any thoughts about how he might be used in the game going forward? I usually don't turn PCs into NPCs, but his attempts to control the genius loci might affect the world in ways we can not foresee.

If she asks for it, would Gronk be willing to gift the vial of mist to Ezme as a home for Wankle? We can deal with it without you if you want to leave before she gets to explore that further, just wondering how Gronk would respond.
May 16, 2024 10:00 am
Gonna put this here because it doesn't really fit in the OOC thread that is currently being used.
karabooo says:
QuietPanther says:
I just want to figure out what YOU want.
My understanding is that -- because we initially wrote our posts in a separate forum -- he now prefers that we rely on flashbacks to insert the most critical elements of our narrative into the story. Might be a little awkward, but we can make it work! 👍
I think it's mostly about the spirit of things.

If you guys want to have a side-flashback-adventure within this game where you use the principle of 'Play to find out what happens' that would be fine and likely fun to do for the ones involved. There can be a thread for something like this (I think. Correct me if I'm wrong, vague) It would be played just like our current RP thread.
But the way it sounds now is that you've already done that part and gone back to change past 'posts' to fit new ideas when they came up. Which comes down to writing a short story.

I'm totally fine with you guys sharing this with us, but I have to honestly say that it's unlikely that I will read it. That doesn't mean that I don't want to know about it. But prefer to find out about it as Albert.
That being said, if you can condense it into a one paragraph summary, that could be useful for me so I can have Albert say things that may trigger one of you to talk about your past. You can put it in your character sheet for easy reference. Then again, it's not an odd question to ask "How do you 2 know each other?" when 2 people obviously know each other. :D Which would accomplish the same thing.
[ +- ] A very short example
That way you get to share this background bit by bit and even add more.

What do you think about that idea? (This question is directed at everyone in this game)
karabooo says:
Anyway, I would like to put it out there that if any of you have interest in delving into your character's backstory or exploring your characters' dreams or what have you, I will be right there, greedily reading everything you have to share (especially if it's exploring human emotions!). I love this stuff, I'll love you all the more for your creative contributions, and I'm very curious to learn more about each of you & your characters! It can feel lonely being a writer in a world where everyone is used to bite-sized entertainment, but none of you are alone. That goes to you, too, vagueGM. ❤️
This is really sweet! Thanks for this offer :) I'll keep it in mind. <3

You do not have permission to post in this thread.