Chapter 4: Adventures in Blingdenstone

load previous
Jun 3, 2016 12:13 pm
Naatkinson says:
OOC:
Shield is actually a reaction to cast, so you actually don't have to cast it until something hits you, then you cast and can potentially cause that attack to miss and keep the +5 AC until the beginning of your next turn.

And you can move, use and action, and use a bonus action on your turn. You don't miss out on your movement on your turn unless a specific situation calls for you to miss it.
OOC:
Ooops, misunderstood how the spell works. Thanks for clarifying. Retcon!
Soliin pulls out his crossbow and melds into the darkness to his side, hidden among the wares of the various merchants. As soon as he finds a good spot, he fires a bolt at one of the gelatinous messes.

Rolls

Hide - (1d20+8)

(1) + 8 = 9

Crossbow attack - (1d20+7, 1d6+5)

1d20+7 : (10) + 7 = 17

1d6+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

Jun 3, 2016 8:27 pm
The ground around the cubes shifts and sharpens, becoming solid stone spikes all over the floor. The cubes continue to move forward slowly (even more so now that they have spikes in the way) (5 damage). The attempt to absorb the four gnomish guards, but the little creatures manage to scramble out of the way, getting scraped up a bit by the spike growth.

Soliin's bolt slams into the cube holding the gnome guard (16 damage), sinking in until it's about 2 inches away from his eye. You can see panic contort his expression.
OOC:
Cubes are now 25 feet away. There is about 10 feet in front of you before the ground becomes spiky.

Soliin, you forgot to roll sneak attack damage, so I did it for you. Rolled an extra 9 damage. Your sheet also seems to be missing everything you got from level 4 except for the HP. I believe you got Crossbow Mastery?

It is now back to the player's turn!
Jun 3, 2016 8:54 pm
"Bring it down! Save the guard!" Hunter says, flicking her hand like she is throwing a dagger. Four arcane darts lance out at the ooze containing the poor gnome.

Rolls

Magic Missile 2nd-level - (4d4+4)

(4123) + 4 = 14

Wild Magic - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Jun 3, 2016 9:18 pm
Hesitating to plunge into the bed of spikes that have sprung up, Mai'ngor looks about for something to throw at the monster. He grabs a nearby torch, runs up to the edge of the spike bed, and hurls the burning brand at the cube that has engulfed the gnome guard.
OOC:
I'm guessing I don't get to add Proficiency to this attack roll?
Last edited June 3, 2016 9:21 pm

Rolls

attack - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Jun 3, 2016 9:29 pm
Hunter's magical bolts slam into the cube one after another (14 damage). The blobs form is drippy and gross now as it's losing it's solidity. A moment later a thrown torch lands on it and sets it ablaze. It quickly burns to nothing, leaving the gnomish guard singed, but mostly unharmed.

It takes but another 12 seconds to whittle down the other cube. The gnomes stand in place, wary of moving and impaling themselves in the spikes on the ground, "Hey, someone want to clear this up for us?" one of them shouts to no one in particular.
OOC:
You all gain 200 exp
Jun 6, 2016 4:43 pm
OOC:
Updated last post with more information
Jun 6, 2016 4:51 pm
soliin looks around to his compatriots. "So I guess I should buy a bunch of torches if we want to handle the cubes first? I didn't seem to do much else."
Jun 6, 2016 4:56 pm
OOC:
Just to note, the attacks were doing damage, the cube was becoming less and less solid as you beat the crap out of it, the torch was just the last straw
Jun 6, 2016 5:00 pm
"That may be a good idea," says Hunter, moving her flattened hand in the air and casting Mold Earth upon the spiked area, working to smooth the surface. "Perhaps these oozes are better handled before the wererats. They just move and eat without the reasoning to avoid danger."

She looks to the rest of the group. "Is everyone okay?"
Jun 6, 2016 10:15 pm
Not even getting to slice into the cube, Elfog silently hooks his axe onto his back and joins the others. "These cubes do seem pretty easy ta deal with. So we burning ourselves some cubes before the rats, eh?"
Jun 6, 2016 10:50 pm
Soliin jogs over to one of the guards. "So torches are a good weapon against the slimies?" he asks. "Your kingo, or not-so-king-whatever-he-is, asked us to help with the jelly problem."
Jun 6, 2016 11:41 pm
Hunter tries to recall anything she might have learned about oozes. Barring that, she looks around for a scholarly type that might either know, or know of where she can research this.

Rolls

Nature (Oozes) - (1d20+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Jun 6, 2016 11:46 pm
OOC:
You're pretty sure you remember Gelatinous Cubes being really tasty and nutritious.
Jun 6, 2016 11:47 pm
Hunter is distracted by a merchant's fine jewelry and decorative baubles.
Jun 7, 2016 7:40 am
"I agree. We made short work of these. Let us finish off the rest."
Jun 7, 2016 12:05 pm
I nod in agreement and follow the others.
Jun 7, 2016 6:03 pm
What was I thinking about? Hunter jars herself out of her momentary thoughts. "Do we need anything from these merchants? Assuming they're open for business after this little... mess."
Jun 7, 2016 7:01 pm
The gnomes thank you for your help, the one who was caught by the cube even going so far as to shake your hands. The merchants seem stunned for a moment, but then shake it off as gnomes always do and get back to selling their wares.
Jun 7, 2016 7:16 pm
Hunter browses the stalls and seeks out an Explorer's Pack for some semblance of camping comfort, plus a Light Crossbow and Ammunition for defense. Finally, a Potion of Healing.
OOC:
This is all assuming that everything in the PHB is available here.
Jun 7, 2016 7:22 pm
CancerMan says:
Hunter browses the stalls and seeks out an Explorer's Pack for some semblance of camping comfort, plus a Light Crossbow and Ammunition for defense. Finally, a Potion of Healing.
OOC:
This is all assuming that everything in the PHB is available here.
OOC:
Anything in the PHB is fair game, at a 10% discount due to your bravery this day!
load next

Thread locked