Prologue: arrival

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Dec 21, 2021 1:15 pm
Any action Thorem does?
Dec 21, 2021 1:20 pm
Thorem's action would be to Dash again.
Dec 21, 2021 5:57 pm
OOC:
We are using DnD rules for vision - light spell will not decrease dwarfs vision in any way. That spell allows you to see 40 feet
Eldrick see dwarf running away like crazy. But well like a crazy dwarf ... he is still slower than you. After first 20 feet he turns slightly right and continue dashing.

It is your turn!
OOC:
Please let me know you have any questions about your options. This is my first TotM encounter on PBP, not sure if I am doing it well
Dec 21, 2021 8:32 pm
As Thorem closes in on the large door and sees a zombie standing at the entrance to a cave on the opposite side Eldrick finally reaches the dwarf.

"Go ahead and get that door open while I take care of this zombie. There are more right behind us."

Eldrick casts a Firebolt at the zombie.

Rolls

Ranged spell attack at Zombie, damage - (d20+4, d10)

d20+4 : (15) + 4 = 19

d10 : (9) = 9

Dec 22, 2021 7:25 am
OOC:
Aldrusian, please correct me if I am wrong, but you light spell allows you to see 40 feet from you so you didn't see the zombie yet. So I have to assume you technical do prepare action. Besides you can not dash and cast Firebolt or prepare action at the same time, so you are now behind Thorem (he did 50 feet while you only managed 30)
Eldrick reach Dwarf, but hear a zombie to the left and prepare to cast firebolt. He spot zombie running out of darkness shortly and his firebolt hits undead creature and sets it on fire. Considerably burned zombie still continue your way. Eldrick as you topped you see more zombies apearing from the dark in the direction where you run from, but you don't see the skeletons any more. Two arrows fly your way from the dark and since you didn't see how skeletons shoot them they have advantage on that shot.

Meanwhile Thorem - you see less zombies as they are slower and disappear in darkness. You also don't see skeletons any more, but you hear all of them moving your way and you hear 2 arrows shot. in a while after that you see skeletons in the dim light of you light spell coming your way and preparing next arrows.

Next round of combat, Thorem - your turn.

Rolls

Skeleton 1 arrow to hit, advantage - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (18) + 4 = 22

1d20+4 : (2) + 4 = 6

Skeleton 2 arrow to hit, advantage - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

1d20+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

Skeleton 1 arrow damage - (1d6+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Dec 22, 2021 7:29 am
OOC:
Eldrick takes 6 more points of damage. Since you both had 7 temp HP when entering and Eldrick took 7 plus 6 points of damage he is currently at 11 HP, if I am not mistaken, but I hope you manage your HP yourself.
Dec 22, 2021 11:55 am
Double checking distances and all from Thorem at the start of this turn. For those out of Thorem's sight, please just give me estimates on what he thinks of how far away they may be.

How far away is Eldrick behind Thorem right now?
How far away is Thorem from the old large wooden double doors ahead of him.
How far away is the zombie from the cave that was firebolted by Eldrick for 9 HP of fire damage?
How far away is the 12 zombies chasing us?
How far away is the 2 skeletons that have been firing arrows?
How far away is the 2 skeletons that didn't fire arrows last round?
How far away is the zombies coming before that were out of Thorem's vision range that he heard? (Big guess.)
How far away is that cave that the zombie came out of that was firebolted now should Thorem even fathom to go there?

I think that is everything and if not than do add more!.
OOC:
Thorem 60' Darkvision (No color), 28/28 HP + 7 Temp HP, AC(14), Move Speed 25', Greataxe in hands
Dec 22, 2021 12:25 pm
OOC:
OK my last attempt for TofM. Let me know if you don't find this entertaining and I will have a battle map and normal turn-based movement over that map.
Thorem - is dashing towards the doors and will reach them this turn if keep dashing or next turn otherwise. He hear Eldrick about 20 feet behind and believe that he will also make it to the door this turn if dashing.

Thorem had no time to analyse battle situation and measure distance. He hear/understand that undeads are following but distance is increasing, because skeletons are busy firing while zombies are slow. Due to increased distance you don't even see as much of them as you saw before 6 seconds. The burning zombie is current at the same distance as the closes of other 12 zombies (he was not smart enough timely change running direction).
OOC:
Because Eldrick's light makes you both illuminated all creatures regardless of their darkvision range see you at the moment
Dec 22, 2021 11:19 pm
Thorem to avoid arrows and zombie bashing, continues to mad dash for the doors with plans to open them, let Eldrick enter and close them. That of course is assuming that beyond the doors isn't hostile or demanding attention. And hopefully not a dead end. Even better if there is ready means to prevent the doors from being opened by zombies and skeletons in short order.
Dec 23, 2021 12:03 am
Eldrick will run as fast as he can to catch up with Thorem at the door. He will prepare to cast magic missile at multiple targets if there is any delay in opening the door.
OOC:
I have setmy current hp to 11
Dec 23, 2021 6:54 am
Both of you reach door with just a second delay. Thorem is first to reach door but only to discover that they do not want to open so easily
OOC:
wooden doors are swollen and require an action and a successful DC 10 Strength (Athletics) check to force open. You could do it next turn
Since you spent your action to dash you will have to wait.
Two arrows shot from the dark are making your way and this time one aims each of you.
OOC:
Skeletons shot them from more than 80 feet so they have disadvantage, but you don't see - advantage. Those two make if straight roll
Both arrows hit the target and one shoot Eldrick into the chest and he faint (he is KO with 0 HP, that was really terrible roll I just made)

Rolls

To hit Eldrick - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

To hit Thorem - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Critical damage Eldrick - (2d6+2)

(46) + 2 = 12

Damage Thorem - (1d6+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Dec 23, 2021 7:13 am
I just double checked rules and chat history. Thorem - you see the dagger on Eldrick's belt still continue to shed light and illuminate both of you.
What do you do?
Eldrick - you have to roll death saving throw, I'm afraid.
Dec 23, 2021 8:27 am
OOC:
Thorem takes a reaction and puts up his shield to protect him from the arrow hit to avoid the damage.
Thorem easily forces the doors open with mass and strength. He will also pull Eldrick through the doors before closing them.
Last edited December 23, 2021 8:30 am

Rolls

Athletics DC(10) - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Dec 23, 2021 8:56 am
OOC:
GeneCortess, I see AC 14 in your character sheet and shield +5 give you 19. Skeleton to hit was 23, so you need at least 24. Am I missing something?
Thorem manages to pull Eldrick through the doors and get behind the doors so you are covered from arrows
OOC:
I will only allow you to close the doors on your next turn since you where busy with Eldrick and with opening doors this turn. It will be free action for you next turn.

You see rails and an empty mine cart. Rails go slightly downhill into the dark cave. (I mean it looks like if you would push the cart some 50 feet it would continue on it's own because of relief. Size of the cart is enough for both of you to barely squeeze in.
Dec 23, 2021 10:03 am
OOC:
Actually, let's move on and have death saving throws done later and in secret
Thorem close the doors a moment before zombies reach them. You are holding the doors, but it is just a question of time as more zombies are comes to help pushing.
OOC:
Thorem, your turn again
Eldrick body is in your reach, but you have spent your free action this turn.
The cart is 40 feet from you.
OOC:
, Aldrusian, please roll your previous turn death save in secret. And you could roll one one more immediately, I will ignore the second roll if Thorem manages to stabilise you before that
Dec 23, 2021 2:59 pm
OOC:
What does Eldrick's The talisman protects against dying do?
With the door shut now, Thorem tries to bring around/save Eldrick. "Breath you foolish Human" while trying his best to lean against the door the same time.
Last edited December 23, 2021 3:00 pm

Rolls

Medicine DC(10) - (1d20-1)

(14) - 1 = 13

Dec 23, 2021 4:02 pm
OOC:
Good! We don't need Eldrick dathe save rolls any more
Thorem breaks away the arrow shaft, while he feel that more zombies are pushing on the door.
OOC:
GeneCortess Roll me athletics opposed to zombie roll that is done with advantage as there are several of them to see if they manage to open the door this turn

Rolls

Zombie str check - opening door - (1d20+1, 1d20+1)

1d20+1 : (1) + 1 = 2

1d20+1 : (4) + 1 = 5

Dec 23, 2021 4:11 pm
Haha, Thorem can't make it less than 6 even if roll 1, so doors stay close, it is Thorem's turn now!
OOC:
I will allow you to "carry" Eldrick as an object, but you will need one free hand for that (assume you put him over your shoulder and hold with a hand) . Your strength allows that, I believe.
Dec 24, 2021 1:38 am
OOC:
I miss looked at the to hits. So that saves Thorem from wasting a shield spell. Good as Thorem has only 2xst slots. That hit took out Thorem's temp hit points and did one HP of damage to him.
Does Thorem in this situation believe it is possible for him to withdraw pitons and hammer to pin the doors shut? That is with the zombies already trying to get in. Which I doubt.

Assuming that that really doesn't look to be at all promising, he is instead considering picking up Eldrick and into the cart we go. He of course would be spending that round pushing it. He doesn't expect Eldrick to come conscious any time soon. Thorem gets to do the Heroic Escape.
OOC:
Unlike others, Thorem can discard his greataxe and later using his bonding to it to summon it back to him. I believe that is how it works.
OOC:
Rolled athletics to see if I could snag a 20. Nope. But I did get your "1". LOL.
Last edited December 24, 2021 1:42 am

Rolls

Athletics Checks - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (11) + 5 = 16

1d20+5 : (1) + 5 = 6

Dec 24, 2021 6:43 am
OOC:
That was a great idea with pitons and hammer, but the doors are double so you would ned two turns to pin each, I suggest you don't risk doing that.
As Thorem put unconscious body into the metal cart and start pushing it the doors open and you zombies run your way, but the skeletons shoot their arrows at Thorem.
but before anything else happens Thorem manages to make cart moving on it's own, jump into the cart and hide from more arrows.
Zombies almost reach cart, but it increase it's speed and you are saved ... at lest from zombies.

Rolls

Skeleton 1 arrow to hit - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

Skeleton 2 arrow to hit - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Arrow 1 crit damage - (2d6+2)

(26) + 2 = 10

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.