Want to help GP be better? How you can help!

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Jun 24, 2016 2:10 pm
Definitely still curious about programming tasks I might be able to take on. I'd love to try and fix the thing where you select your character in the Quick Reply but that setting doesn't carry over to the Advanced post (for example). :P
Jun 24, 2016 2:49 pm
I actually did find a fix for that. I was being stupid in my thinking. I'll have that one corrected soonish.
Dec 8, 2016 6:33 pm
I can hit Reddit, I'm a Reddit world 's oldest profession!
Dec 9, 2016 12:19 am
Have you thought about a Patreon or kickstarter?
Dec 9, 2016 12:35 am
lunitar says:
Have you thought about a Patreon or kickstarter?
I've realized income is actually the least of my concerns. I earn enough to cover monthly costs; beyond that, time is the most valuable resource I don't have.
Jan 16, 2017 6:56 am
I can't believe I missed this thread before! Community Management sounds like me! :-)
Jan 19, 2017 3:30 am
I'd like the opportunity to do some MEAN programming outside of book exercises and pet projects. I know you've mentioned the RSS thing. I can look into that or any other side projects you've had in mind.
Last edited January 19, 2017 3:30 am
Jan 31, 2017 12:24 am
I am going to be graduating, getting my B.A. in Multimedia Design and would love to get some real world experience. I know a little about a lot and can at the least help out in any and all of the categories. Just give me a task through PM or email and I would be happy to get it done.
Jan 31, 2017 1:45 pm
Thanks for volunteering DM_Apexwolf! Just because of experience (I've been working as a volunteer in online groups for a long time), I'd prefer if you'd select a position/topic that interests you the most, even if it's just for a bit. I wouldn't be opposed to people helping in different positions as it suits them.
Mar 5, 2017 11:26 pm
I am a professional developer with XP in Angular, PHP, Mongo, SQL, and others. I can help build anything you need to throw some developer time at. I am happy to sign a NDA, considering your sensitivity to the properity of your code base.

As a side note, I encourage you to open source your code base. The real product you have here isn't the code and the features built into the product (While nice, I don't feel it is crazy good ground breaking.), but rather the active community. Everything you can do to encourage that community is a benefit.
Mar 6, 2017 3:39 am
Constablebrew says:
I am a professional developer with XP in Angular, PHP, Mongo, SQL, and others. I can help build anything you need to throw some developer time at. I am happy to sign a NDA, considering your sensitivity to the properity of your code base.

As a side note, I encourage you to open source your code base. The real product you have here isn't the code and the features built into the product (While nice, I don't feel it is crazy good ground breaking.), but rather the active community. Everything you can do to encourage that community is a benefit.
Nah, nothing I've written is groundbreaking; rather it's how it's put together that matters. And of course, the community. I've actually avoided putting it public so long because... well, the code base is embarrassing.
Mar 6, 2017 7:58 am
Keleth says:
Nah, nothing I've written is groundbreaking; rather it's how it's put together that matters. And of course, the community. I've actually avoided putting it public so long because... well, the code base is embarrassing.
I get where that comes from, I've had small projects from time to time that I have thought of letting out in the free, but I've never got around to "making it presentable". Truth be told though, If it's code that actually does anything it's never going to be as elegant as that Fizz-Buzz clean code example you saw on that forum that time... Real software is complex, complexity and elegance doesn't go together well...

Also, the only ones who'd actually check out the code would be people that are either wanting to help make it better, or use it for something else. I think the worst response you'd see is that nobody checks it out. Who knows, maybe we can help you make it prettier (or, more lightly, add features/complexity like there is no tomorrow).
Mar 6, 2017 12:59 pm
Well, it's embarrassing not because it isn't clean... it is, though it follows two different style guides, as I've been evolving as a developer. Rather, it's embarrassing because all the old code is kinda poorly written, and while I'm making progress to a new, better system, it's not there yet. But sure, I'll make the repo public.
Mar 14, 2017 4:15 pm
I'm afraid I have no programming experience and while I consider myself a relatively good artist I don't have any experience with graphic design. However, I would be interested in being on top of coming up with interesting new threads and keeping those alive; I'm not sure what sort of thing you're looking for in that area and I'm nearly exclusively a D&D 5e guy, but if you're just looking for generally fun threads that pose questions and further the community I might be able to help with that!
I am a high school guy so I'm on the busy side, but if you give me a few more details on what you're looking for I'd definitely be interested in doing my part to make GP--as amazing as it is--better!
Jun 8, 2017 1:29 pm
Somehow this thread got unpinned, so a necro for those of you who may have missed it.
Apr 13, 2018 11:18 am
Hi,

I'm a full-stack web developer and by destiny or luck, I've just happened to land here a few days ago and I'm about to start mastering my first GP game.

First of all, congratulations for having this amazing site running. I came out with the idea of developing a website like this and found out it already existed, lol. I know it's important as a developer to hear the opinion of the real users, so the points where I'd focus most are:

In terms of UI design, the site feels good as is. Maybe I'd lower the height of the main navbar icon as it adds too much thickness to the page. When in low resolution, it eats up a nice chunk of screen. That is a minor change, though. Just redistribute the image a bit so it is more landscape-ish.

Then, in terms of UX design, there are some things here. As I enter with my phone at GP most of the times, I feel the need for a responsive design for mobile users inevitable. It's hard to navigate through the forums with a high-resolution web design sometimes, you know. Maybe I could find some time to create some mockups.

Still with UX, it feels like HTTP requests are pretty slowly. Not the site itself but the fetching actions of data models (i.e. /games/:id). We can discuss it somewhere if you are willing to.
Last edited April 13, 2018 11:33 am
Apr 13, 2018 1:29 pm
Semplax says:
Hi,

I'm a full-stack web developer and by destiny or luck, I've just happened to land here a few days ago and I'm about to start mastering my first GP game.

First of all, congratulations for having this amazing site running. I came out with the idea of developing a website like this and found out it already existed, lol. I know it's important as a developer to hear the opinion of the real users, so the points where I'd focus most are:
Welcome! Thanks for the feedback.
Semplax says:
In terms of UI design, the site feels good as is. Maybe I'd lower the height of the main navbar icon as it adds too much thickness to the page. When in low resolution, it eats up a nice chunk of screen. That is a minor change, though. Just redistribute the image a bit so it is more landscape-ish.
The redesign has a smaller header, so this is being addressed, heh.
Semplax says:
Then, in terms of UX design, there are some things here. As I enter with my phone at GP most of the times, I feel the need for a responsive design for mobile users inevitable. It's hard to navigate through the forums with a high-resolution web design sometimes, you know. Maybe I could find some time to create some mockups.
Responsive is something severely lacking, and something I'm working on for the redesign. Unfortunately, design is my weakest skill; I'm shocked people actually like the current design. There are some mocks in the Site Discussion forums of the upgrade, but I'd be glad to talk further with you on this.
Semplax says:
Still with UX, it feels like HTTP requests are pretty slowly. Not the site itself but the fetching actions of data models (i.e. /games/:id). We can discuss it somewhere if you are willing to.
Yah, this has to do with a lack of caching and with the forums data model not being the best for what it's doing. Again, happy to discuss.
May 11, 2018 3:13 pm
So, I would really like to be able to help out in the web side of things, but don't know much about it. For those of you who are familiar with web design stuff, what's a good place to start learning in general, and then the same thing for GP in particular?
May 11, 2018 3:36 pm
Naatkinson says:
So, I would really like to be able to help out in the web side of things, but don't know much about it. For those of you who are familiar with web design stuff, what's a good place to start learning in general, and then the same thing for GP in particular?
There are a few different approaches to this, and they depend on what you like to do. The two major routes are back end (the logic that drives the site) and front end (the visual site). Back end is more logic based programming, front end is more artistry. If you're not took een on going deep into programming, front end is lots of fun and can be practical even for your own use. For the below, I can look for some tutorials for you when I have some free time.

To start with front end dev, you need to learn HTML and CSS, the basic building blocks of a website. Plenty of good tutorials out there, but you have to be cautious, as because there's so much info, there's also a lot of outdated info. Unfortunately, even as someone in the field, it's hard to know which is which sometimes. However, even outdated info is useful.

If you're interested in GP specifically, or as a starting point, after HTML and CSS, you'll want to learn Javascript basics, and then move onto Angular, the framework that's driving the new GP site. The current site runs on a combination of PHP and AngularJS (an older version of Angular). If you want to help with the current site, you'll need to learn a lot more things, just because it's a complicated mess (thus my rewriting the site).

Because of how I learned programming (also from scratch, no classes/etc), I use pretty simple technologies, though I'm starting to get in more complex stuff. Nearly everything I use is well used online, popular, and thus has a lot of info and tutorials out there. If it's something you have a general interest in, Udemy has a number of good tutorials, and they're a cheap site ($10 for a tutorial, though that's the sale price, but the sale price comes up nearly every month; NEVER buy Udemy at full price :p). There are a ton of free tutorials if you're interested in learning but aren't sure about investing into it, which is perfectly fine, but you have to be more cautious to make sure you're learning up to date stuff.

tl;dr;
Current GP runs on:
- PHP 7.1
- AngularJS 1.5
- Some jQuery, though not much
- MySQL/MongoDB

New GP will run on:
- PHP 7.2, using the Slim Framework
- Angular (latest versions at all times)
- Unsure about DBs, either stay with MySQL/Mongo, or considering all Mongo (maybe PostgreSQL?)
- Redis
Jan 5, 2019 6:40 am
Naatkinson says:
While not specific to the stack that GP runs on, freeCodeCamp is a pretty good resource for first starting out. As the name implies, it's 100% free, from start to finish. It's essentially an online coding bootcamp that you can take at whatever pace you choose. If you decide to follow through to the end, you'll pick up the skills necessary to get a job, should you decide to do so. In fact, the final project(s) involve working together with a team on a project for a non-profit organization, which gives you the all-important experience that you can put on your resume without having to first convince someone to hire you.

Full disclosure: I have done some work with freeCodeCamp on their curriculum in the past, so I'm a little biased :)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.