Want to help GP be better? How you can help!

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Jun 2, 2016 6:59 am
Keleth says:
I have a lot of trouble letting go of my own work, so for code help, I think I'd be most comfortable starting off on subprojects for features (like the RSS feeds or maps?) and then moving on from there.
I completely understand. I was thinking more about code-proofing, whether it just be making sure the algorithm works, or coming up with pseudocode. However, designing a module that you can fit into the existing code base is something I might be able to tackle, if you don't mind the learning curve.
Jun 2, 2016 12:15 pm
While I'm probably not your button for it I noticed no Graphic Artists on the list. If you have a general idea for Guide Management that seems straight forward from a data management perspective so if no one is chomping at the bit for that one let me know and I'll assist there. For the Community side of things I would like to assist as well.
Jun 2, 2016 1:23 pm
Remnant says:
While I'm probably not your button for it I noticed no Graphic Artists on the list.
I'm not sure if you meant no one's responded for it, but one of the first items is looking for help with the graphic design of GP and various material I'm trying to create for it. As mentioned, I'm not asking someone to do free work (though if you want to actually help in that respect, I certainly won't say no).
Jun 2, 2016 1:26 pm
Everyone who's responded so far are easily the most active on GPs general forums, so I'm sure you've read this already, but I want to iterate one more time for clarity: what I'm looking for from this thread are volunteers. I can promise no glory or fame, though I'll do my best to set aside my ego to give you the credit you deserve for your work, heh. If you volunteer, I'll expect you to hold to your tasks, taken on as you can, but if you don't want to commit to anything, certain tasks like growing the community or guides, can be done by anyone, and I'll always post up for feedback on stuff like designs, so even if you want to give your graphic feedback but don't want to commit to it, you'll have the opportunity.
Jun 2, 2016 1:30 pm
For myself, I'm fine with being a volunteer. I have time available right now to work on these things, so I'm happy to do it while I'm able.
Jun 2, 2016 2:15 pm
Keleth says:
...I want to iterate one more time for clarity: what I'm looking for from this thread are volunteers.
Well, this rules out my friend then. I know he won't work for free...
Jun 2, 2016 3:09 pm
kalajel says:
Keleth says:
...I want to iterate one more time for clarity: what I'm looking for from this thread are volunteers.
Well, this rules out my friend then. I know he won't work for free...
Well, other than the design or code stuff, I can only pay as much as I make on GP right now, which is well into the red. For design work, I'll try to find money, though I can't afford to hire anyone right now. For code work, given the site is progressing, and given other costs, I can't allocate money to hire developers.
Jun 2, 2016 4:07 pm
I'll work for free (just to clarify) although I'm going to totally hack the die roller in my favor as compensation.
Jun 2, 2016 4:39 pm
szemely says:
I'll work for free (just to clarify) although I'm going to totally hack the die roller in my favor as compensation.
Comments like this are why GP needs a like button.
Jun 2, 2016 4:43 pm
szemely says:
The first dice roller I ever built was for friends and I to play online, pre-roll20 days. I may have set it up so when one particular friend used it, it would randomly remove a certain amount from his roll, bottoming out at 1. He might have had dice that would or wouldn't be weighted against him.
Jun 2, 2016 4:46 pm
I could probably help with community management and I have done some social outreach for my University, particularly for the Mechanical Engineering Department, so I could probably contribute to those areas.
Jun 2, 2016 4:54 pm
I will pose for a "Men/Women of Gamer's Plane" calendar. I will even manscape for said calendar.

(I wish I had time man! I can barely find the time to run a game on here, so I don't want to say I will do something I can't do. You have my moral support!)
Jun 2, 2016 4:57 pm
DMKiado says:
(I wish I had time man! I can barely find the time to run a game on here, so I don't want to say I will do something I can't do. You have my moral support!)
That's plenty. I don't want or expect people to do more than they can. GP is a project I choose to take on myself; I won't put that on anyone else.
Jun 3, 2016 12:27 am
You know, if you watch a youtube vid about table top RPG and you spot a comment from someone who complains they have trouble finding a group, it might be a good opportunity to plug this site by replying to this comment...
Jun 3, 2016 12:32 am
I can help get the word out on social media... I'm just not very popular...

hey! what if someone did a youtube video tutorial of gamer's plane? it would help the noobs and it would also generate traffic...
Jun 3, 2016 1:48 am
Good idea. Perhaps make a Gamersplane channel on youtube?
Jun 3, 2016 2:00 am
kalajel says:
You know, if you watch a youtube vid about table top RPG and you spot a comment from someone who complains they have trouble finding a group, it might be a good opportunity to plug this site by replying to this comment...
I do that all the time on Facebook D&D groups :)
Jun 3, 2016 2:22 am
Naatkinson says:
I do that all the time on Facebook D&D groups :)
Oh, speaking of groups, I should advertise in some of the RPG Yahoo groups I'm part of...
Jun 3, 2016 2:27 am
You guys are all awesome. I'm gonna start small, and PM a few people soon. If I don't PM you, it's not because I don't want your help or don't like you or something. Maybe the middle one, I don't know.

I really appreciate the support you all have shown (and the support of those who haven't said anything in this thread). Thanks for helping me make GP so much better. There's a damn good reason I most often refer to GP as an Us instead of a Me.
Jun 3, 2016 11:29 am
I don't got time for the fancy stuff, but when I browse the LFG subreddit I'll forward any PbP players to this site.

//Handle
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.