A New-ish GM appears!

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 21, 2021 4:08 am
Hello, everyone, I am Data and I have only just discovered this site today while searching intently for a PbP-centric community. I am so pleased to have found this place, since most TTRPG sites seem to favor voice/video, while I generally prefer text as my background is in forum-based RPGs.

I enjoy both playing and running games - both pre-made modules and homebrew scenarios. Currently, I only have experience with D&D 5e, Call of Cthulhu 7e, and Paranoia - however, I have a great interest in learning new systems.

Recently I have been interested in running some short-form Call of Cthulhu games - would there be an audience for that here?
Last edited January 19, 2022 3:49 am
Nov 21, 2021 4:28 am
Welcome to GP, Data!

KCC

Nov 21, 2021 4:30 am
I’m a big fan of short one-shot Cthulhu games. I’ve even run a few myself! It’s good fun! You’ll certainly find people willing to jump in! :)
Nov 21, 2021 4:40 am
Welcome!

Len

Nov 21, 2021 5:04 am
As a moderator, I sometimes have to deal with bot accounts but this is one bot I'm happy to see. Welcome aboard, Lieutenant Commander!
Nov 21, 2021 5:09 am
Data says:

Recently I have been interested in running some short-form Call of Cthulhu games - would there be an audience for that here?
Hey Data! Welcome to GP.

I suspect there would be quite a lot of interest in short CoC games.

If you need a hand using GP’s functionality then there’s some sort of GM mentoring thing too.

I hope to see you in a game someday.
Nov 21, 2021 5:10 am
Len says:
As a moderator, I sometimes have to deal with bot accounts but this is one bot I'm happy to see. Welcome aboard, Lieutenant Commander!
(Adam mumbles something pedantic about the singular being datum)
Nov 21, 2021 6:33 am
Welcome to the party!
Nov 21, 2021 6:36 am
Welcome Aboard!
There's quite a few CoC players around GamersPlane so I think you'd have your pick of players to choose from.
Nov 21, 2021 7:05 am
Welcome, Data!

If you want to see how GP functions, here are links to the New GP Member Guide, the forum rules and this video introduction made by user Qralloq. You might also be interested in looking through some public games as well to get a feel for the site.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You're also invited to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

I also run a beginner's game as a quick introduction to GamersPlane and play-by-post, if you're interested.

If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to contact any of the following moderators:

bowlofspinach
CancerMan
Dramasailor
Jabes.plays.RPG
Len
Naatkinson
Qralloq
Keleth (site owner)

Happy gaming!
Nov 21, 2021 8:07 am
Welcome to GP, Data. Say hi to Riker!
Nov 21, 2021 8:16 am
Welcome aboard! I'm a big fan of CoC, as well as many others on GPlane.
(and would also love to try Paranoia at some stage, I hear it's a woot! )
Nov 21, 2021 12:38 pm
Welcome, Data! Glad to have you. There's a lot of of CoC that gets played around her, as well as CoC-adjacent games, like Trail of Cthulhu and so on. Have you tried the newest Star Trek system? That might be a fun one to get a group together for here. Maybe...
Nov 21, 2021 1:16 pm
Data says:
... I have a great interest in learning new systems.
Welcome Data.

What sort of systems do you think you would be interested in learning?
Do you want to do up or down on the crunchiness scale (compared to DnD and CoC)?
What sorts of stories interest you? General genres and types or specific titles may help us find a fit.
Nov 21, 2021 2:04 pm
Welcome to the community, Data!
Nov 21, 2021 6:06 pm
🐋 come aboard Data. There was a recent bot purge, so we have a shortage 😁
Nov 21, 2021 6:45 pm
Welcome aboard, matey.
Nov 21, 2021 7:29 pm
Thank you all so much for the warm welcome! I really appreciate it! I will certainly check out those resources (thank you bowlofspinach) and then I can see about setting up a game to get started.
Len says:
Thank you, sir!
Adam says:
(Adam mumbles something pedantic about the singular being datum)
The other difference between 'data' and 'datum':
https://img.nickpic.host/gPkIcn.gif /j
Dr_B says:
Welcome aboard! I'm a big fan of CoC, as well as many others on GPlane.
(and would also love to try Paranoia at some stage, I hear it's a woot! )
Paranoia is a lot of fun, and I have a pretty good mini-adventure for it that does a good job at introducing the world to new players.
One of the great things about Paranoia is that it is very easy to jump in as a player. You do not even need to know the rules. In fact, it is against the rules to know the rules - including that one, so you are already on thin ice.
SavageBob says:
Welcome, Data! Glad to have you. There's a lot of of CoC that gets played around her, as well as CoC-adjacent games, like Trail of Cthulhu and so on. Have you tried the newest Star Trek system? That might be a fun one to get a group together for here. Maybe...
I do have the Star Trek Adventures Starter Set - but, I have never had the chance to play or run it. It does seem like there would be a few people interested in that here, though, which is exciting. I will review by books and see if there is something I can put together for it.
vagueGM says:
What sort of systems do you think you would be interested in learning?
Do you want to do up or down on the crunchiness scale (compared to DnD and CoC)?
What sorts of stories interest you? General genres and types or specific titles may help us find a fit.
I did leave that pretty vague, mostly because I have a broad range of likes, and I really do not know if I dislike something until I try it. I come from a forum-rp background, which is entirely fluff, so I can enjoy pure-roleplay experiences. However, I was definitely drawn more to the structure of TTRPGs, and I enjoy tactics, math, and reading, so I do not think crunchier systems would throw me off much past the initial learning curve. I would be happy to try them in PbP games, especially, since it gives me time to calculate, rather than being put on the spot in-person.

As a GM I am fairly flexible with making D&D and CoC fluffier or crunchier depending on the type of players I have. Generally, I just try to keep the in-game stakes proportional and relevant to the out-of-game effort. If players want to put their effort into roleplaying-out a conflict, then the narrative should become more elaborate to make that style of play worthwhile - likewise, if players prefer hard-tactics, then the technical challenge of the encounters should increase in response, to encourage player engagement.

I also have a wide-spanning list of genres I enjoy, so the vagueness is still intentional, but for some specifics:
Fantasy: High Fantasy, naturally, but I have a specific love for Magical Realism and Surrealist Fantasy. Maybe sit me somewhere between Wheel of Time and Discworld.
Sci-Fi: I am comfortable with most science fiction softer than or equal to Star Trek. Space exploration and alien civilizations interest me specifically, but I also enjoy dystopian and/or planet-side settings. I enjoy hard sci-fi as a genre, but I am not sure if I could play a game of it. Though, I am always open to try.
Horror: I am always up for anything horror-related. Cosmic or supernatural horror, psychological horror, body horror, slasher or survival horror - it is a genre I love in almost all its forms.

I am also a fan of action/adventure, comedy, and mystery - which pretty much just leaves Historical Fiction, Slice-of-Life, and Romance as genres I could never quite get into. Pretty much everything else is fair game.
Nov 21, 2021 7:34 pm
Quote:
which pretty much just leaves [...] Slice-of-Life, and Romance as genres I could never quite get into
https://c.tenor.com/T4olEmBlKwkAAAAC/groundskeeper-willie-you-just-made-an-enemy-for-life.gif
[ +- ]
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.