Looking for game and GM (Numenera)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 22, 2021 2:55 pm
If you've have seen my introduction yesterday, you know I'm especially looking for a Numenera game right now.

Preferred themes:
I find the 9th World as a setting endlessly fascinating, so I would love a game exploring the unknown, getting really into the strange, the odd, the weird. I certainly also wouldn't mind working on political intrigue and the like. To me combat is like whipped cream on milkshake, a delicious topping added in moderation, not the basic ingredient. I'm more narrative- than optimization-minded. 18+ topics okay, but I absolutely will not play out sexual or torture scenes in detail.

Experience Level:
Basic in Numenera
Beginner in PbP but more experience in live play

Post frequency and duration:
Will adapt to the group but prefer one or more times per day. I'd love a longer campaign but if you can't or don't want to commit to that right now, I would also be grateful for a shorter adventure.

Notes:
English isn't my first language and I also have ASD, so if I say something strange, that's probably why. Go ahead and let me know if there's an issue or you don't understand what I'm trying to say at any point in game, I appreciate directness.
Nov 22, 2021 3:20 pm
I don't feel up to running Numenera but can provide an extra helpful body to a game if it is needed to fill out the roster.
(I only have the old Cypher System book, but have read old Numenera, and could probably borrow the new one if I had to.)
I found Cypher System immensely interesting to read, but all the games we tried turned boring after a bit. I think it is all the pre-roll hype and discussion and help and adding and effort and then... a miss (or, when the GM does not tell us the difficulty... we did not need to bother for this).

While reading the book I was struck by how many times they felt they had to remind us to 'put effort into describing an interesting outcome on a miss', that seemed obvious to me till we played and found that it was hard after all the hype, and without conscious effort, the post-roll tended to be a bit 'meh' and 'so that happened/did not happen'.

I still want to try make this system work, but can not motivate to ask people to play it. :(
Nov 22, 2021 3:26 pm
The issues you had previously seem to be more group/GM dependent so it could be better with a different group. I'll say I've read most of the player's handbook and bits and pieces of some other books, I haven't read any reminders to put effort into describing outcomes.
Nov 23, 2021 2:20 am
I'm in, as a player or a part time gm, I have first edition stuff. Add me to the list.
Nov 23, 2021 2:29 am
I've communicated with the original poster and am happy to run a game. I do have two other people that would be interested in trying it out as well. I guess NABO can choose who they'd like to go with.
Nov 23, 2021 2:43 am
That's great, 78. I'll withdraw my offer.
Nov 23, 2021 3:08 am
Understood, Q. Better to have too many offers than none.

With that said, as soon as I refresh my Numenera memory and the (American) Thanksgiving holiday is past, I can start up a game. As I said, I do know of a couple of other people who would like to play, and I'd be willing to take up to 5 total: NABO and 2 others are committed, so I can take up to two more beyond that. I'm only asking for commitment for one adventure right now. VagueGM, I wasn't sure if you definitely wanted in or were volunteering to fill out a party if a body was needed, so if you could confirm, I'd appreciate it.

I do have experience running and playing Cypher System, though not running Numenera specifically.

If you (potential player) think you'd be interested, I will provide this disclaimer: I run games that expect a lot of collaboration and open communication between players, and between the players and GM. I tend toward combat-light, narrative-heavy, with a little more emphasis on intrigue and character development, and especially character interaction.

I want to be open and honest: if you're the kind of player that prefers not to discuss ideas for characters with the rest of the squad, or discuss general outlines of scenes before they happen, preferring to improv in the moment, you might not enjoy a game I run. But if you like the sort of group effort that you might get from discussing strategy and ideas around a table before you go into a scene, then you might enjoy a game I run.

There will very likely be a Discord server for easier OOC communication as well.

EDIT: I'll recommend a posting rate of approximately 1 post every day or two as appropriate for the current scene.
Last edited November 23, 2021 3:20 am
Nov 23, 2021 11:42 am
78RPMLife says:
... VagueGM, I wasn't sure if you definitely wanted in or were volunteering to fill out a party if a body was needed, so if you could confirm, I'd appreciate it.
It was an offer to help fill out the party if needed. With the amount of interest this got I would hate to steal one of the their places, take the others first.
Dec 3, 2021 6:04 pm
I'm afraid that, upon further reflection, I'm going to need to bow out of running this game. I apologize, NABO. Hopefully Qralloq will be able to step in and take over.
Dec 3, 2021 8:03 pm
I'm still available to step into this role. I adore Numenera and the Ninth World.
Dec 4, 2021 12:18 am
And I am still available to fill the body-slot-quota if needed. :)
Dec 4, 2021 12:30 am
Speaking with NABO by PM, it seems like they and I are leaning toward a Nautical setting, likely leaning into the Into the Deep material. In my head, I'm thinking Firefly Meets Master and Commander, but still lots of creative work to do before I have a pitch ready.
Dec 4, 2021 3:22 am
Firefly meets Master and Commander is directly related to my Interests, so if there is a spot open when that pitch is open, I would love to give it a try! I've never played Numenera, but I'm a quick study.
Dec 5, 2021 6:55 pm
Serenity's Revenge has been launched. Invitations sent to @Data, @NABO and to @VagueGM.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.