DnD5 Game: Haunting Past

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 3, 2016 9:02 pm
I tried to run a game or two WAAAY back when GP first started up. I did not do a good job of it, mostly because I didn't find the time to run it. I'm gonna give the GM reigns another go, this time with more realistic expectations.

I'm running 5e, partially to learn to GM it, but also because I can't figure out what system works for the game I want to run. So this will likely be a 5e game with a ton of stuff just made up, because I feel like it. The game won't be the most stable (in terms of posting consistency), but I'll do what I can to make it fun. I'm kind of a wing-it GM, more interested in giving players a great story, rather than nit-picky rules or "realism".

Part of the game will be world-building, as I've never quite found a steampunk-y fantasy world I liked. Your characters will wake in a dungeon, wearing nothing but rags, with no memory, at all. No idea how you got there, no idea who you are, how long you've been there. It's why in the chargen info I put: consider who your character may have been, but don't create a history or personality. Character sheets should be pretty fast to put together, but there'll be a good deal of chargen in the game, as there are a number of additional details I'll want from you, and we'll kind of decide as a group how some things work out.

I'm not gonna limit this to old or new players, though given my first time GMing DnD 5e, some 5e experienced payers will be good.

http://gamersplane.com/games/1/
Jun 3, 2016 9:03 pm
I'd like to join, please.
Jun 3, 2016 9:06 pm
A game GMed by Keleth? Count me in!
Jun 3, 2016 9:09 pm
Gods, I promised to not join any more games!
Jun 3, 2016 9:10 pm
Naatkinson says:
A game GMed by Keleth? Count me in!
You say this enthusiastically, not knowing how I GM. I could be terrible!

I added a link to the game in the OP. I'm gonna think of how to accept people; never been a fan of first come, first serve in situations like this.
Jun 3, 2016 9:11 pm
Dungeon World could be a great system for this. Just throwing it out there...
Jun 3, 2016 9:13 pm
Moofsalot says:
Dungeon World could be a great system for this. Just throwing it out there...
I have zero experience with Dungeon World :(
Jun 3, 2016 9:17 pm
Love Dungeon World. Just throwing THAT out there. :)
Jun 3, 2016 9:21 pm
Also, I applied. Dungeon world is nice because all rolls are pretty basic and self-explanatory. The game assumes the GM has little to nothing setup at the start. It also is driven a lot by made up narrative and stuff from the players.

5e is good because a lot of people on the site have experience with it. I'm running two 5e games myself. You can actually do much of the same as Dungeon World if you follow the same GM philosophy. No pre-planning. Be a fan of the heroes. Don't get attached to your plans. Play to see what happens.
Jun 3, 2016 9:28 pm
Keleth says:
I'm gonna think of how to accept people; never been a fan of first come, first serve in situations like this.
*slips Keleth a bribe*
Jun 3, 2016 9:35 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Keleth says:
I'm gonna think of how to accept people; never been a fan of first come, first serve in situations like this.
*slips Keleth a bribe*
That was from both of us...

*rides Jabe's coat tails to acceptance*
Jun 3, 2016 9:56 pm
PhantomNimbus says:
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Keleth says:
*slips Keleth a bribe*
That was from both of us...

*rides Jabe's coat tails to acceptance*
Can I bribe as well? I make some meeean tacos.
Jun 3, 2016 10:00 pm
I'm gonna reserve at least two of the spots for people in not many games, as long as they're enthusiastic and willing to deal with me.
Jun 4, 2016 2:20 am
On the steampunk side, I like Iron Kingdoms. Worth checking out but a.m bit rules heavy since it comes from a tabletop miniatures background.
Jun 5, 2016 4:25 pm
If you still have room, I'd like to join
Jun 5, 2016 5:08 pm
Scotash says:
If you still have room, I'd like to join
I haven't taken on any players yet; I'm waiting to see who applies first. So yah, I"d love to have you!
Jun 5, 2016 5:57 pm
I know I applied. :)
Jun 6, 2016 3:41 am
So I accepted 5 players into the game and opened up one more slot for Scotash to take. If Scotash doesn't take it, I'll take the game back to 5 players. I took two players newer to GP, and took a random selector between the remaining 4. Sorry CancerMan :( If stuff goes well, this could lead to interesting other things in other systems.
Jun 6, 2016 4:09 am
No need to apologize! I wish you all great fun.
Jul 13, 2016 4:10 am
There will most likely be an open slot in this game before this week is out. If you're interested in a DnD 5e game, I'll just ask you take into consideration the races/classes we have and consider party balance. Character generation is mostly straight forward, though character concept has a few steps to it. I'd prefer to take someone newer to GP.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.