Character Generation

load previous
Jun 6, 2016 6:33 pm
I guess if I was to go that direction I would probably do a Gnome. Gnome's can have the tinkering capabilities by default, and the Artificer sounds like a magical tinkerer. I like the idea of a magical McGuiver in a dungeon.

Aha, it may seem but a vial and some water to you, well presto-chango! It is now a climbing potion! Haha!

I could definitely see this person being a rock gnome. I feel like I always fall into the rock gnomes for any magical user I make.
Jun 6, 2016 6:38 pm
Wait wait wait! I wasn't suggesting going in a standard direction! I love the idea of a suit of living armor that crafts potions!
Jun 6, 2016 6:44 pm
Ah, I thought you suggested going the other way, my bad. Good, because Warforged or Armor, I like the idea too. :)
Jun 6, 2016 7:12 pm
I was thinking of being a ranger or Druid (may already have too many magic users) but not sure how they would fit into a steampunk setting.

The Rangers favoured enemy could be tricky with amnesia, although I could have a sudden unexplained dislike of a race Or could find my favoured enemy in the races we encounter.

If neither of those work I might be a monk
Jun 6, 2016 7:13 pm
I will probably go Barbarian, to be honest with you, especially if I go with one of the cat races.
Jun 6, 2016 7:13 pm
I had contemplated a ranger because I thought it would be interesting to get your 'pet' in the dungeon. It would have to be one of the things you would find in a dungeon. :)

Really though you could actually change the Ranger to more of a combat inventor. Maybe your pet is a steamwork creation of a normal creature from the corebooks.

Some things really just need a cosmetic change to achieve the effect of a different world.
Last edited June 6, 2016 7:20 pm
Jun 6, 2016 7:25 pm
Oh, I forgot, I had seen this before, if you were interested in a more magical Ranger, someone made this homebrew.

Arcane Archer
Jun 6, 2016 7:35 pm
Don't fret about the amnesia working into your class or race mechanics; you'll find it resolved. If you do magic, you won't be missing your magic. If you have some ability that your would have learned, you can use it. I'll ask you not suddenly wake up and go "Oh, spell, lemme cast!". The first chapter will be you waking up, and I'm going to give you plenty of opportunity to RP your skills coming back to you. You may not understand WHY you can cast magic missile, but you get into a heated moment and suddenly a spell spills out of your fingers. You may not know how you can fire an arrow with pinpoint accuracy, but when you notice a door trigger out of reach, you'll be able to do it.

A note about magic. As I said, I'm going to be molding a new world around you. In this game, arcane magic is based on reshaping reality, where divine magic is based on faith. It may or may not be a direct connection to a god (more will be explained on that later), but rather a cleric has faith in tenants, and that faith shapes their abilities. From a mechanics point, this won't have an affect on the vast majority of spells, except for some higher level cleric ones as far as I can tell, and I have stuff for that.

Also, if someone does want to go with a ranger, I won't be allowing a steampunk companion. It'll have to be a normal creature.
Jun 6, 2016 7:37 pm
They just released new feats in Unearthed Arcana, if anyone is interested. Link here
Jun 6, 2016 7:48 pm
New Unearthed Arcana day has become one of my favorites. :)
Jun 6, 2016 8:27 pm
PhantomNimbus says:
New Unearthed Arcana day has become one of my favorites. :)
I really like it, but I'm not a huge fan of their reviews on DMsguild content. Seems like a waste of a month to me
Jun 6, 2016 9:07 pm
If possible I would like to play as a Wolffolk

Thought it might work well with the ranger
Last edited June 6, 2016 9:07 pm
Jun 6, 2016 9:08 pm
Sounds like all of us are going to use non-standard races. That's kind of awesome, actually
Jun 6, 2016 9:16 pm
Well, only 3 of you have really mentioned chars out of 6 people :p

I hope we have at least a human somewhere, heh. I don't mind non-standard, but bare in mind, a wolf walking into a standard city probably won't go over all that well... specially if its a wolf, a tiger, and a suit of armor.
Jun 6, 2016 9:19 pm
Keleth says:
Well, only 3 of you have really mentioned chars out of 6 people :p

I hope we have at least a human somewhere, heh. I don't mind non-standard, but bare in mind, a wolf walking into a standard city probably won't go over all that well... specially if its a wolf, a tiger, and a suit of armor.
Sounds like a start to a good joke... A wolf, a tiger, and a suit of armor walk into a city...
Jun 6, 2016 9:27 pm
How badly would a Genasi or a Goliath stand out?
Jun 6, 2016 9:31 pm
Naatkinson says:
How badly would a Genasi or a Goliath stand out?
What is a goliath's size? Large? I'd say that any of these combinations would stand out anywhere... in a larger city, you'd probably be ok, though (for example) a group of 2+ animals with no standard races would have a harder time finding a room, and at a fair price, than a recognizable face. In a smaller town, the more your group could be recognized, the easier a time you'd have. After all, if you go to a dwarven village, as an example, and you have no dwarves with you, that'd certainly count against you a bit, as to be expected. But if you didn't have any humans or elves, or something the dwarves knew to be "normal", you'd have an even harder time.
Jun 6, 2016 9:37 pm
Goliaths are actually medium creatures, though they're on the verge of large
Last edited June 6, 2016 9:37 pm
Jun 6, 2016 9:39 pm
I don't mind playing a human or an elf, if that would work?
Jun 6, 2016 9:40 pm
Naatkinson says:
Goliaths are actually medium creatures, though they're on the verge of large
Over all, I look at it like this: the stranger the group, the more it stands out, the more trouble you'll have with mundane things in certain situations. On the other hand, it can help out too. It'll be a balance.

As for the animated armor, if one of you is a humanoid kid with a metal arm and leg...
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.