Character Generation

load previous
Jun 13, 2016 5:19 pm
I could do that if you think it is good. I also imagine I'll start the game as a medium suit of armor. Nothing super heavy. Since it's a 12 hour process to change my base armor type I doubt I'll be doing it any time in the adventure start.
Jun 13, 2016 6:01 pm
I'm torn at this point now... I'm basing my character off of Edward from Fullmetal Alchemist. He doesn't wear armor, and he uses more finesse than strength for his attacks.

Eldritch Knight was my first thought, but that means I have to wear armor for good AC (or use Mage Armor all the time) and I have to use strength for my attacks. It does, however, fit better from a magical standpoint, because he does have some powers at his disposal.

Monk, on the other hand, fits the physical aspects better (finesse, no armor), but doesn't have much in the way of magical abilities.

Thoughts?
Jun 13, 2016 6:07 pm
What about Arcane Trickster for the Rogue? Finesse, arcane, plus sneak attack for battle prowess.
Jun 13, 2016 6:07 pm
If you'd to go for a more dex based character and are concerned on the armor side, we can come to an arrangement, a la Sado from Bleach or Greed from FMA. Of course, if you're interested in Monk but are interested in the Eldrich Knight archetype, I'd love to work on creating a monk mage archetype.
Jun 13, 2016 6:09 pm
Maybe an arcane trickster? Edward was a good mix of hand to hand combat, as well as "magic".
Jun 13, 2016 6:24 pm
Keleth says:
If you'd to go for a more dex based character and are concerned on the armor side, we can come to an arrangement, a la Sado from Bleach or Greed from FMA. Of course, if you're interested in Monk but are interested in the Eldrich Knight archetype, I'd love to work on creating a monk mage archetype.
Way of the Four Elements is a bit Mage-ish, but not to the extent that Edward is (too supernatural, rather than Edward's style).

I'd be agreeable to making either an Archetype, or perhaps creating a Fighting Style on the fighter side that would allow this character to work.

A few things I want to accomplish

1. Spear as finesse (he always used the spear)

2. Wearing no armor (I don't have to have the best AC, just needs to be usable.

3. An intermediate magic user.
Last edited June 13, 2016 6:25 pm
Jun 13, 2016 6:38 pm
So you're interested in an Eldritch Knight archetype for monk? I think that's reasonable.
Jun 13, 2016 6:44 pm
What about borrowing from the sorcerer class? Doesn't the dragon touched one get an unarmoured bonus?
Jun 13, 2016 6:48 pm
Keleth says:
So you're interested in an Eldritch Knight archetype for monk? I think that's reasonable.
Sounds good to me. I'll take a look and see what I can come up with as well for this purpose.
Jun 13, 2016 6:53 pm
3rd level is easy for the transition. Just keep spellcasting and weapon bond as they are, problem solved there. Then I need a feature for levels 6, 11, and 17

This is going to be a heck of a balancing act. I need good Dex for AC and damage, good con for HP, good Wis for AC and monk stuff, and good int for casting :)

I'm MAD* about this!**

* Multiple Attribute Dependent
** Pun totally intended
Last edited June 13, 2016 7:17 pm
Jun 13, 2016 7:51 pm
Should the schools of magic I'm allowed to have be changed? Possibly Conjuration and Transmutation?

Evocation and Conjuration? I can reskin a lot of evocation to go along with my ideas of his casting style.
Last edited June 13, 2016 8:01 pm
Jun 13, 2016 8:30 pm
I think evocation makes a lot of sense, specially being a fighter. What from conjuration appeals to you? Some of it could work, others don't really make sense. Likewise, transmutation is some sensible, some not. What sort of spellwork are you thinking of?
Jun 13, 2016 8:35 pm
Keleth says:
I think evocation makes a lot of sense, specially being a fighter. What from conjuration appeals to you? Some of it could work, others don't really make sense. Likewise, transmutation is some sensible, some not. What sort of spellwork are you thinking of?
Conjuration and Transmutation popped into my head immediately because they'd be the most similar to Alchemy in FMA. Looking Conjuration over, it seems less than useful, though. I'd pretty much limit my spell selection to anything I could justify in the rules of FMA Alchemy***.

*** This really limits my spell choices already!
Last edited June 13, 2016 8:36 pm
Jun 13, 2016 8:42 pm
Given we're going for a custom thing (though I may codify this into an actual achetype), I may be ok with letting you pick from the full spells, though you'll have to run them by me. Evocation and transmutation may be the most viable?
Jun 13, 2016 8:47 pm
Keleth says:
Given we're going for a custom thing (though I may codify this into an actual achetype), I may be ok with letting you pick from the full spells, though you'll have to run them by me. Evocation and transmutation may be the most viable?
So basically, every spell I pick would have to be possible under my self-imposed restrictions and have DM approval? Sounds fair to me, if that's the case
Jun 13, 2016 8:57 pm
Naatkinson says:
Keleth says:
So basically, every spell I pick would have to be possible under my self-imposed restrictions and have DM approval? Sounds fair to me, if that's the case
Yah, I'm ok with not imposing the school restriction for you. You and I can discuss your exact spell/combat style in your private forum so I know what you're going for and can approve/disapprove of spells as you pick them. We can probably work out your higher level abilities as we get started.
Jun 13, 2016 10:53 pm
So some people have started submitting characters, but everyone's put up a thread about their characters. I just need a few more char level 20 descs with the details above, and we can start. I don't need everyone's character to start, but I do need your level 20 ideas for the opening scene.
Jun 14, 2016 12:50 am
I have to admit, while I've often thought about what skills or spells I'd take in my progression from 1st to 20th, I've never really thought about what my character would have done in that time. This was certainly a new and interesting thought experiment for me.
Jun 14, 2016 5:15 am
Keleth says:
So some people have started submitting characters, but everyone's put up a thread about their characters. I just need a few more char level 20 descs with the details above, and we can start. I don't need everyone's character to start, but I do need your level 20 ideas for the opening scene.
I'll get mine done today.
Jun 14, 2016 7:58 am
With stats in place for armor I can submit the character later today. I'm trying to imagine my character at 20. It's strange to think of how a character would progress that far ahead. I'll try to get that up today too.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.