Ask Me Anything: runekyndig

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

runekyndig

bowlofspinach

Dec 3, 2021 6:30 am
runekyndig
In an attempt to get to know the community and other users on GP better, we want to allow a different member each week to step into the spotlight.
You can find more information here.
About me:
Name: runekyndig
Pronouns: He/Him/Old git
Favorite Games: D&D 5e, Pathfinder 2e, World of Darkness (Mage, Werewolf), FATE, Drager og Dæmoner (Danish), but played several others

This AMA will run until 10 December 2021.
Dec 3, 2021 6:36 am
1. What's your most common house rule?
2. What mechanic immediately makes you uninterested in a game?
3. What is your favorite mechanic in any game system?
4. Miniatures and battle maps: yay or nay?
Dec 3, 2021 7:01 am
(Man! Those are good questions Nezzeraj.)

Did spending time in the arctic circle change you in any way? (I mean, change the way you saw the world - I'm not asking if your toes fell off)

I see from your stats that you're playing a lot more than you're GMing. I know you GM because I was in your vignette, but do you generally prefer playing?
Dec 3, 2021 8:00 am
Good questions nezzeraj
nezzeraj says:
1. What's your most common house rule?
Rule of cool
Say Yes, but... or succede with a cost instead of fail
nezzeraj says:
2. What mechanic immediately makes you uninterested in a game?
Mechanics that forces me to play in a certain way. Like cthullu sanity loss, you have to play insane now, or you have to play a sociopath after installing this cyberware.
nezzeraj says:
3. What is your favorite mechanic in any game system?
Forbidden Lands have an easy mechanic for expendables like food and water. In short, you are traveling and eat of your rations and drink your water. You have a food die 1d12 and a water die also 1d12. When you have camped, you roll your dice and if they roll 1 or 2, your die is reduced d12 - d10 - d8 - d6 - gone. You can fill your backpack with food and it can spoil or you can loos it ect. Its just an easy mechanic to keep track of food, water, arrows, torches and other expendables
nezzeraj says:
4. Miniatures and battle maps: yay or nay?
Some systems can't work without, like D&D 4e, while others can.
I like the visual aid, so I have to say yay, but usually we do theather of mind.
Dec 3, 2021 8:11 am
Adam says:
Did spending time in the arctic circle change you in any way? (I mean, change the way you saw the world - I'm not asking if your toes fell off)
I had an interesting realization: What is the biggest danger to you in daily life? Most of us would say other people. That is why we keep stranges at an arm length. In the arctic, its it nature, and that is why people help each other up there. We stand together against the elements.
The social/professional hierarchy kind of crumbles when you are digging a new latrine in the icecap with your professor, as the shitsicle is getting too high in the other one. I respect the man for his knowledge and behavior, not his title.
Adam says:
I see from your stats that you're playing a lot more than you're GMing. I know you GM because I was in your vignette, but do you generally prefer playing?
Yes I generally preferred playing, especially in pbp.
In real life I'm an improvisating GM, and it's easier to be that around the table and I get a kick out of it, that I don't really get with PBP.
Dec 3, 2021 11:17 am
What's the weirdest setting or concept for a game you've run or played in?
Dec 3, 2021 11:41 am
bowlofspinach says:
What's the weirdest setting or concept for a game you've run or played in?
That is a tough one. If I just pick one, it is properly going to be The Strange where you do world hopping. The Numenera and Planescape setting also comes to mind
OOC:
I'm seeing a pattern here Monty Cook
I have tried a few World of darkness games in Seoul and old Russia, where these real-life settings were so unfamiliar to me, that I had problems navigating in them. :(
Dec 3, 2021 5:43 pm
runekyndig says:
I have tried a few World of darkness games in Seoul and old Russia, where these real-life settings were so unfamiliar to me, that I had problems navigating in them. :(
[ +- ] Stares in Klingon
Just kidding, that old Russia bit was overly ambitious of us. I blame myself for not setting up the socio-norms of the time (even made up ones) in a background blurb for us all to glom onto.

When we talked in the summer, you indicated a long history of story-first games in Denmark. Clearly World of Darkness, while crunchy, is a storytelling game (😎). What appeals to you to about World of Darkness in particular?
Dec 3, 2021 5:55 pm
People are mention spending time in the Arctic, I would like to know more about that - research expedition? what's the story?

If I wanted to make a delicious, quintessential Danish meal for my family, what should I make?

As a player, what are your favorite traits in a GM (or how they run their game)?
Dec 3, 2021 6:00 pm
is there a Danish-only RPG or supplement that you think would deserve being published in other countries? The one you would proudly export!
Dec 3, 2021 6:00 pm
What's the longest running game you've been In on GP or In Person?
Dec 3, 2021 7:23 pm
What's one setting you'd love the chance to play in but have either never had the chance or it doesn't properly exist in RPG form yet?

What's a few of your very favorite foods?

What have you been watching on Youtube lately?
Dec 3, 2021 7:57 pm
Qralloq says:
When we talked in the summer, you indicated a long history of story-first games in Denmark. Clearly World of Darkness, while crunchy, is a storytelling game (😎). What appeals to you to about World of Darkness in particular?
World of darkness is a rather large umbrella, where you have vampire, werewolf, mage, changeling, mummy, hunter... others.
Vampire: I never really tuned into this self-pity I am a monster bruding and gloomy vampire theme. Others love it, but I still havent figured out why
Werewolf: There is so many aspects to play on. The spirituality with Gaia, the pack hierarchy, the common mission to fight the wyrm. 10 simple laws there are ambiguous enough to bend to fit your purpose.
Mage: I really like the magic system and how it ties into the magic paradime. Its a difficult game and I think it is easy to mess up.
C1NDER says:
People are mention spending time in the Arctic, I would like to know more about that - research expedition? what's the story?
I have studied 11 months in total at UNIS, the university up there. There I studied geophysics and glaciology. In short, climate science. I wrote my master thesis on NEEM, where I analyzed ice cores from the Greenlandic ice sheet.
That is the short story
C1NDER says:
If I wanted to make a delicious, quintessential Danish meal for my family, what should I make?
quintessential Danish meal, then I would with lunch. Highly coated open sandwiches on rye bread
[ +- ] image
C1NDER says:
As a player, what are your favorite traits in a GM (or how they run their game)?
A GM (and players) who listens to the fellow players and play along with their imput
A GM who can use more than one tool for storytelling. (Use of text/images/maps/music/ect)
Dec 3, 2021 8:08 pm
Dr_B says:
is there a Danish-only RPG or supplement that you think would deserve being published in other countries? The one you would proudly export!
When D&D 5e was in Beta a friend of mine developed a game that had some very good ideas. It is a dungeon crawler, where you are rewarded for exploration, not killing monsters. The initiative modifire was based on the kind of action you wanted to take, parlay had a +0 modifier as the fastest and casting magic +7 as the slowest. Then you rolled 1d10+modifier and the lowest went first. This locked the player's action before the round was conducted. There were several other good ideas.
The system "Hinterlandet" got a lot of play on conventions as character creation could be done within 15 minutes, and the difference between 1 level and 9 level was the number of abilities, not so much power. You could use your character in several con-games.
Dec 3, 2021 8:16 pm
KoldikSteelskin says:
What's the longest running game you've been In on GP or In Person?
Here on GP: For 14 monts we played Icewind Dale - Rime of the Frostmaiden. We calculated 1.2 ingame posts pr day for 14 months.
In real life: 3 or 4 years every second Monday, we played a werewolf campaign.

The 14th of august 2016 I started GMming a campaign that is still ongoing, but we don't play consistently. Coordination is a bitch and I think we have played 20-30 times these past 5 years.
Dec 3, 2021 8:23 pm
skeptical_stun says:
What's one setting you'd love the chance to play in but have either never had the chance or it doesn't properly exist in RPG form yet?
Planescape! Of established settings that one is my favorite.
skeptical_stun says:
What's a few of your very favorite foods?
Now its winter, we can buy blood sausage again.
The few times my wife is away for more than 24 hours, then I eat garlic bread, with the side order of another garlic bread (there are 2 in a package). She cant stand the smell on me and refuses to kiss me, so it's a rare occurrence.
skeptical_stun says:
What have you been watching on Youtube lately?
Dec 3, 2021 8:24 pm
Not a question, just commenting on how cool I think your research work sounds (pun partially intended)
Dec 3, 2021 8:28 pm
Do any members of your family share your interest in RPGs?
Dec 3, 2021 8:44 pm
NABO says:
Not a question, just commenting on how cool I think your research work sounds (pun partially intended)
Unfortunately I could not make it a career. I am making my living as a data scientist/engineer/business intelligence/process mining consultant.
szemely says:
Do any members of your family share your interest in RPGs?
Not really
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.