1. Targos

Targos

Adam

Dec 18, 2021 8:22 am
Chapter 1. Heroes at the gates

Targos - 16 Uktar 10:00
OOC:
Bells, Ilenos, and Rayne approach the town.
The razorwind blows from the north as if punishing you for daring to brave the road to Targos.

It's like there's no sound - there's no room for it amongst the relentless white roar. Sight, sound, touch, smell, taste - all are useless. The only sense you have left is a ragged sense of habit as you battle blindly forward. Wrestling. Auril. For. Each. Contested. Step.

Any clerics who say hell is hot have never walked the lonely Icewind trails.

https://i.imgur.com/yBrm1k4.jpg

The wind abates long enough for you to open your slitted eyes. It's as if the Frostmaiden Herself is proudly presenting a gore-strewn scene.

Behold their fine offering! And yet the sun rises not.

The blood of Auril's toll stains the crossroad's frost; a human sacrifice decided by lottery, tied to a broken mast, to be dismembered by yeti, crag cats, ice trolls and the other of the Frostmaiden's night-children.

Down the road beyond the sacrifice, guilty Targos lies on Maer Dualdon. High palisades surround the town, yet her wooden gates lie open, guarded only by a snow-covered table.

https://i.imgur.com/AHanuZs.jpg

Failure to hold token punishable by DEATH

Beneath the official pokerwork sign, half-buried on the snow-laden table, is a bowl containing numbered wooden discs - Targos's grim lottery tickets.

The town beyond the gates seems almost abandoned. The only signs of life are thin candlelight strained through shuttered windows and two bundled figures in the street.

https://i.imgur.com/joN1K7Z.jpg
OOC:
Anders and Okto are already in the town.
The mood in Targos is as dark as Icewind's neverlight skies. Karl's number had come up last night. He wasn't a good man, Targos has few of those, but he was a man all the same and a good sailor.

The Lottery isn't any more dangerous than fishing the icy Maer; the one-in-a-thousand odds of being chosen are long compared to the chance of being dragged into the lake by a Knucklehead - but that's not the point. It's that it's your maties who string you up to die alone in the cold; that's the cruelty. The town wasn't really mourning Karl but their lost humanity.

This morning, Anders and Okto found the Trip's atmosphere was as taught as a mainsheet a'tempest and as likely to snap. Of course, it was always tense the day after a sailor's death, so it was usually like that now. They decamp from the sailors' taven; perhaps The Flags will be less oppressive.

As they brave the windblown streets they see three figures, bundled in furs, approach the gate from the 'Shander road. Their thick clothing hides their forms, but a faint ringing of bells accompanies their approach.
The Ten Towns are dying. Unhappy is the land without heroes and woe unto the land that needs them.

You stand at the gates.

OOC:
Anders and Okto are the green token. Bells, Ilenos, and Rayne are the yellow token. It's time to introduce your characters to the world.
Targos
Dec 18, 2021 7:32 pm
OOC:
Those of us outside, have we met before, or is it a situation where we're in a we're in a caravan heading to the town, each with our own reasons?
Dec 18, 2021 7:38 pm
How ironic that the most color, Bells had witnessed painting across the barren landscape happen to be the spatters of blood from the most recent sacrifice. Not a stranger to the toll that extreme weather can exact from those who challenge it's rule, Bells lingered a moment as dark eyes weighed the scene.

No... this wasn't some unlucky soul who gave up his life giving warmth just steps outside the promise of a hearth. The violence bespoke much more than that going on. Maybe the town had suffered not only the darkness but a thief. With scarce resources, people held dear to what little they had accumulated and reacted passionately when such was threatened leaving remnants behind to warn others with similar thoughts.

Odd. A glitter caught the bard's eye as she crouched to get a better view. Hooks? That didn't make sense. The evidence didn't add up. A thief would be stripped of such items of practical value. But amid the crimson remnants a copper and a couple of silver were visible causing the dark haired beauty to reel backwards. Suddenly the scene didn't seem like one of justice carried out but more of a sacrifice offered but to who and why? This scene seems unnatural and raises more questions than it answers. I suggest we continue toward our goal, Targos.
Last edited December 18, 2021 11:20 pm
Dec 18, 2021 7:39 pm
OOC:
Sorry - I kinda rushed everyone into starting there, didn't I? Okto and Anders already worked out how they know each other.

DSquid wondered this too.
Dsquid says:
Is anyone else traveling to Iceland Dale? My character will be traveling from the south, and if anyone else is doing the same we could arrange to have met during our travels before arriving.
If you travelled together then the Ten-Trails pass to the south is blocked. You might have approached overland from the west (possibly from the port town of Luskan), probably as part of a dog-sled caravan.

You three might want to share some information with each other OOC (or via notes if you want to hide information) before we get started.
Dec 18, 2021 10:48 pm
A young half-orc with unwieldy tusks and a forced skip in his step strides alongside Anders, trying his best to remain outwardly optimistic and pleasant, but inside he really just wants to head back to his tiny shared hovel of an apartment and sleep. For many nights after returning from the fruitless frozen waters of the Maer, the young fisherman has either spent all his earned coin thawing himself with alcohol from the day's work, or simply going to sleep, as (non-nightmare) dreams are really the only way to really escape the Biting North. And now being unemployed, there wasn't any coin coming in.

He keeps his gaze fixed on the ground before him as he walks: watching for slippery ice, sure, but mainly making sure not to step on any cracks in the stone walkways of the street, he can't quite remember what the superstitious result of stepping on a crack is, but he isn't about to chance it. Probably talking Anders' ear off, Okto goes on, "Yeah, Karl was a good sailor, worked with him a few times, funny guy, surprising and sad to see him go, but I don't think he would want us to mope around like the rest of them back there were. Hopefully the Flags will be more lively. By the way, how long you staying in town, Anders? Just stopping by for some supplies and heading back home? Do you ever have visitors way out there or do you mainly live alone?"

As he and Anders pass the gates to the town, he takes his eyes off the ground before him just long enough to spot the small group of people approaching, "Oh look! They look new, should we show them around?" He waves at the newcomers from inside the gates of the town.
Last edited December 18, 2021 10:49 pm
Dec 18, 2021 10:51 pm
OOC:
A friendly, chatterbox, superstitious orc? Cool.
Dec 19, 2021 4:38 pm
Rayne stands with Ilenos, coldly observing the sacrifice from under a set of furs, the hood pulled up around his head as the bard searches the scene. He knew the northern lands to be cold and harsh, but hadn’t expected to be greeted by such a foreboding scene. Not wanting to linger at the grisly scene, Rayne quickly agrees with Bells to continue onwards and the group soon arrives at the gate to Targos.

The gates stand open, but a large warning is boldly displayed beside the gate above a bowl of tokens on a snow covered table. Rayne walks over to the table, absentmindedly picking up a handful of the wooden tokens as he reads the large sign. The tokens slip between his fingers, falling back into the bowl as he wonders if the hanging man’s fate is somehow intertwined with this display. Rayne is about to suggest as much to Bells and Ilenos when his thoughts are interrupted by two figures in conversation walking past the open gates. One of them stops and waves, and Rayne is surprised a second time in the span of a few minutes.

"Hail, friend" Rayne calls to the waving figure, "Care to give some strangers the lay of the land, or at least tell us the meaning of this?" Rayne makes a sweeping gesture to indicate the large sign, tokens, and the macabre scene down the road.

Only a few minutes off the sled and already a gruesome warning and a friendly half-orc. Targos is certainly proving to be interesting…and cold, Rayne thinks to himself as he shudders beneath his furs.
OOC:

Last edited December 19, 2021 5:05 pm
Dec 20, 2021 1:58 am
OOC:
@Dsquid, not sure if you meant for there to be something in the OOC blurb of your previous post, it got cut off if there was
Okto suddenly has a case of the lynx-got-your-tongue when the strangers ask about the sacrificial offering and ominous messages placed around the entrance to the town. He takes a deep breath to cool his rising internal anger and put on a smiley face, "Oh, well, you see, you've caught Targos in a bit of a rough patch. I am Okto, the Frozen Tusk, by the way. I gave myself that name." He says proudly, smirking from behind his overgrown tusks as he extends a thick-gloved hand to the newcomers.

He does his best to sugarcoat and gloss over some of the goriest details, trying not to turn away the newcomers and still invite them in, but he quickly explains to them the situation with Auril, the eternal curse of neverending night and death placed upon the North, the Lottery, and the Sacrifices which they see before them, keeping his explanation brief and high-level. Anyone with more wisdom than a koala bear high on eucalyptus can notice the uncharacteristic... unfriendliness in his tone when he speaks of Auril, the Frostmaiden and the sacrifices made in her name; it's clearly taken a toll on his otherwise amiable nature.
Dec 20, 2021 2:10 am
Ilenos looks around, his disappointment at the sight of villages. What's there to learn here? he thinks. His stomach grumbles, and he looks around at his travel mates. "Anyone else hungry?" he asks aloud, flipping down his hood. His ears betray elven heritage, but his round face shows off his mixed bloodline as clearly as his filled out figure.

He steps towards the walls, raising both hands. "Greetings! Maybe somewhere to warm up and get something to eat?" Ilenos also makes his way to the bowl of tokens. What in the worlds is going on in this town?
OOC:
Yah, makes sense for us to have traveled together. Ilenos would have talked to pass the time, but probably not too much. In down time, you would have seen him tinkering with items he carries on a bandoleer over his shoulder, under his jacket. He probably had some device that gave off some heat that he kept messing about trying to make warmer. He would have asked on the way if any of you knew of the dwarven clan up this way.
Dec 20, 2021 3:50 am
The man beside the young half-Orc pulls his woolen collar up higher to combat the biting winds. His red hair pokes out from an ineffective light cap, and his bustling mustaches show the formation of some frost. He listens to the young man speak and speak, sighing every once in a while; this was nothing new to Okto. He had been back in town for a few days to trade the paltry wares he had collected recently, but mostly to try to afford some more food before everything froze over... more. He falters for a second as he realizes that Okto had actually just asked a question directed at him, and not at the world as a whole. "What? Oh. I'm here for a little while, might see about taking up a shift somewhere for the coin. It's been quiet out there, game-wise I mean. And people." As per usual, he was a man of few words.

Eventually, his walking companion- friend, perhaps- points out a group of strangers walking towards the town, standing near the token bowl. He feels around his pockets for his, rubbing his finger on the grisly totem. Not living in town, he had gone through several of these. And for some reason, others kept being selected. He didn't give a single care about the odds, one of these days Targos would be the death of him... if only the town didn't have such a good selection of supplies and wines, at least compared to other nearby settlements. "I don't see the point in greeting them, leave that to the charlata..." Okto was already on his way.

Several times he attempts to introduce himself, but the half-Orc continues explaining the lottery and the problems in the area. Finally he has an opportunity and takes it. "Anders. If you're looking for food, the Flag is your best bet, especially on a night like this. Should be quieter. Karl here had many friends in town, and they'll be mourning him in the typical way... with fisticuffs soon as hell enough. Question is, what brings you to this frozen swill-bucket end of the world?" His voice betrays a Luskan accent, though he doesn't share the same cocky bravado that Luskans often held. Even more odd for a Luskan, his ears show hints of elven blood; that is, where they haven't been torn or frozen. Scars line his body from multiple cases of frostburn rapidly but inappropriately treated, and his woolen clothes smell faintly of fish and body odor.
OOC:
Edited for language. Creative swears are better than real swears.
Last edited December 20, 2021 5:10 am
Dec 22, 2021 5:03 pm
Ilenos walks up to the city gates and looks around. The deserted streets are not something he had hoped to see. "I'm here searching for clan Battlehammer," he says, his voice sinking as he gets a good look inside the town. With barely a sign it's not deserted, his hopes drop. Looks like I made the trip for nothing, he thinks to himself.

"Stories made this place sound much... nicer... than it looks to be. What happened? Is it always like this?"
Dec 22, 2021 6:04 pm
At the mention of Targos (or possibly the Dale) sounding nicer in stories, Anders can't help but snort. "We get some of those Dwarves through town sometimes, trading what little wares they have left. Okto here would know more, I'm not oft in town. But as to the second half of your question, good blasted question. Used to be, the Gods left this frozen slagheap alone... but couple years back, something got Au..." Anders freezes for a moment, eyes widening and looking around with caution. "Well, something got Auril worked up, and we've been cursed since. Everyone's trying the old ways to appease Her, but as you can clearly see, it's all been worth a troll's left buttock. Not that it used to be much better up here."
Dec 22, 2021 6:07 pm
Adam sent a note to aquafina

Rolls

Okto, the Frozen Tusk: History - (1d20+0)

(9) = 9

Okto, the Frozen Tusk: Charisma check - (1d20-1)

(17) - 1 = 16

Dec 22, 2021 7:05 pm
With a jingling of bells that followed the bard's every move, henna painted fingers stretched toward the bowl holding the tokens. Luck was something she had been in short supply lately or she would not have found herself in such a place where the burning orb overhead was extinguished leaving her plunged into darkness. But maybe, just maybe, the child of the sun had an ember left that could be fanned and once again she could bath in the glorious light.

A golden fountain of sparks erupted from the bowl as the woman fished out her token to carry on her person as the decree stated. In the glow of swirling flecks of light, the slight figure's features were illuminated to reveal what to many would be a pleasing feminine features.

Musical notes announced, the slight form as she circled to stand by Ilenos,Cursed? spinning the token between her fingers, So, it wasn't always so? I deal in lore and would be interested in hearing more of the story.
Jan 2, 2022 2:26 am
After hearing the explanation of the lottery and sacrifices from Okto, Rayne grabbed one of the circles from the bowl without further thought. He carried heavier burdens then a wooden token, he thought as he turned to his travelling companions, "If you all don't mind, I suggest we follow Anders' advice and take this indoors, it is not getting any warmer out here."

Rayne slipped the token into a pocket beneath beneath his furs and stepped through the gate to stand next to Anders and Okto, "I hate to impose more, but if you could show us the way to the Flag, there's a pint of ale in it for you and your friend. What do you think?"
OOC:
Re: Aquafina's comment: Thanks, my previous OOC was a private note, but I ordered the nesting of the tags backwards. Thanks for the heads up!
Last edited January 2, 2022 2:27 am

Ma

Adam

Jan 2, 2022 10:31 am
Red light spills out as you open the thick wooden door of the Three Flags Sailing. But the light is just clearing the way for the smell of greasy smoke that follows.

It's almost shocking to see so many people in one place after the lonely ice roads. There are a dozen customers sitting around pale driftwood tables; each table bears an oil lamp giving out a miserly red light, but generous heat.

A plump woman fusses between the tables. A sneering spasm crosses her face as she looks your party up and down.

"More filthy dregs! Winter wind be blowin' in ye thieves, perverts, beggars, an' ha'penny tarts lookin' for a handout. Ye dirty scum dogs."

Her face then smoothes into a matronly smile.

"Ahoy, me darlin's! Ye can be callin' me 'Ma'. We be a friendly crew in here, ain't we, me hearties?

What can I be gettin' ye? A nice warm beer, or hows about a nice bowl o' trout soup?"

Most of the other patrons raise their glasses in salute - although at the moment you seem to be regarded more out of curiosity than bonhomie. Ma fiddles with the lamp's mechanism on an empty table, and it begins to glow a warm red.

"Berth ye'selves here, me hearties.

Copper! Be a dearie an' be fetchin' a dryin' stand for their furs, eh matie?"

A tiny figure hops down from a stool and waddles off. They're possibly a halfling, possibly a gnome; it's difficult to tell - the homemade furs swaddling them look more like an inexpertly produced teddy bear than any Faerunian race.

Ma
Jan 2, 2022 7:28 pm
Only upon sitting down does Anders remove his scarf, revealing the frost-scarred face that a few in the tavern might recognize. He didn't come to this establishment often, but he did recognize Ma. He doubted she would recognize him. The warmth of the lantern stings as his numb appendages begin to rewarm. Without looking directly at her, "The trout soup sounds wonderful, Ma. No ale, just something hot to drink. Tea if you got it. Water if you don't." Removing his outer layer, it is evident that all his clothes are the same patchwork style, and the inner layers might even smell a little worse.

"Now, I can't tell you the story of this curse, as I don't know it nor do I really care. It just is. But I mayhaps be able to help out with your other questions, about Dwarves and whatnot. Could always use a little copper to tide me over when fishing's slagged." He looks at each in turn, taking in their appearances sans heavy garments. His own ears show signs of some Elven blood, though it seems far removed through the generations. With the scarf gone, his chin finally makes an appearance with short and patchy hair, not as thick and hirsute as his red and sloppily groomed mustache which evokes images of a hasty dagger trimming.
OOC:
Absolutely fishing for character descriptions.
Jan 3, 2022 5:08 am
"Aye, a bowl of soup and and a warm ale sounds like just the thing," Rayne says to Ma and then adds, "put his on my tab as well", nodding to Anders.

Rayne unwraps his furs which are beginning to dethaw, the layer of caked snow and ice starting to drip onto the floor. He moves with a confident strength as he sits down across from Anders, the lamp light revealing a young but harried face, eyes partially obscured by dark hair. He is lean but well muscled and bty the way the carries himself, its evident he can hold his own in a fight. His worn but well maintained clothes and furs are a stark contrast to the patched and torn rags worn by most of the regulars. However, besides the fact that he is currently sitting in a hole in the wall in the armpit of the north, Rayne's impression of a carefree adventurer is further betrayed by an unsettling, haunted look whenever his dark eyes meet yours.

"Go on then," he nods to Anders and Okto, "We are all keen to hear about any strange happenings, or stranger than the ordinary, that have been noticed around these parts."
Last edited January 4, 2022 1:13 am
Jan 3, 2022 11:29 pm
Okto, young as he is, frequents every tavern in a town with a routine. The Trip after a long days of work when he really just wants to drink and party. The Flags when he hears rumors of newcomers to town or wants to make a new friend or two. And the Luskan only when the other two are closed.

Okto takes a strategic seat but tries to play it off as if he had simply walked up to the table and sat down in the first one he saw, the one next to Anders (to make sure that Anders doesn't think Okto is trying to sit away from him) and across from the newbies (to get a good look at them, and so that they can get a good look at him). Okto spins a necklace of exactly 7 rabbit feet around so that a certain one is at the bottom, but there's really no difference between them to anyone else but him.

Okto leans his tusked smile towards Ma, knowing Ma already knows what he wants, he says it anyways, "Hey Ma! Looking just as beautiful as always! Bowl of soup and a Drunken Snowman for me, please! I spend half my pay here, when will you name a drink after me, The Frozen Tusk?"

Okto turns to Bells and Rayne and half-chuckles, "Strange occurrences? You mean besides the sacrifices, the neverending night, and the constant ship wrecks of the past two years? Like I said earlier, it's unfortunate you've come to Targos at this moment. The Ten-Towns have been suffering a little bit since Auril's curse started two years back. Nobody knows why she's so angry or what set her off or how to stop her. But anyways, whatchu guys doing in town? Anything I, or Anders, as natives to this region can help you with?" he smiles.

Okto knows more about the dwarven culture Ilenos seems to desire, but doesn't want to step on Anders' toes after his offer of information in exchange for a copper or two.
Jan 4, 2022 3:18 am
"The dwarves seem a good place to start" Rayne says, "though it is not my reason for being here. I am searching for a group of..." Rayne pauses before continuing, as if searching for the right words, "arcane scholars that I have heard rumor are operating in this area. Although I myself am not a practitioner of the magical arts, this group may have some answers that I am seeking."

Rayne pauses again, looking between Anders and Okto, "If you have heard any rumors of such a group, I would apperciate hearing what you konw. However, I would not be surprised if you haven't as this particular group would not be advertisting their presence. If not, whatever you can tell us about the dwarves would of a great help to my traveling companions."
Last edited January 4, 2022 3:18 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.