1. Targos

load previous

Graendel Granitefist

Adam

Jan 10, 2022 4:26 pm
Dsquid says:
"I think we would be interested in some honest work if you need a hand with it."
The old dwarf half lifts his head to nod with a smile at Rayne, well... the table in front of Rayne, anyway.

"Th.. th.. that's very kind, young man. It should be arriving on the fifteenth day of Uktar. Is that tomorrow? I so lose track of time. I do hope the yeti out there don't trouble the young dwarves bringing it. Is that okay with you?"

He reaches inside his jerkin and retrieves an order confirming the delivery date as the Uktar the fifteenth.

Today is the sixteenth day of Uktar.

"Ca.. ca.. can you read that? They said the fifteenth. My knees might be gone, but my memory is still sound.

Bu.. bu.. but I would like a hand unloading it. It's quite valuable, you see? I would hate to have to leave it outside getting rusty. The Battlehammers cover it with seal oil and tarps, but as soon as you remove those it becomes a bit of race against time to get it away, and my knees aren't what they once were. Of course, I'll pay you for your time. But you should look after your knees too, you never know when they'll go..."

The dwarf talks about the importance of knees, seemingly unaware that his precious iron delivery is already a day late.

Graendel Granitefist
Jan 10, 2022 4:33 pm
Anders sighs as he puts down his mug. He looks between Rayne and Granitefist, as the two discuss terms and knees. He looks to Ilenos and says, "This might be your opportunity to learn about them Battlehammers. And I know I could use the coin." He turns back to the ageing Dwarf. "Whereabouts is this delivery supposed to... be delivered?"

Hlin Trollbane

Adam

Jan 10, 2022 4:47 pm
CherokeeWind says:
I believe, I'm the girl, the bard offered with a cheeky grin.
The hard dwarven woman peers at Bells over her pipe. It's like she's either cataloguing Bells or checking her against a mental list.

Apparently satisfied, the dwarf leans forward so close that she's almost smelling Bell's neck. Harsh tobacco smoke rises up Bells' nose.

Hlin Trollbane

Graendel Granitefist

Adam

Jan 10, 2022 4:54 pm
cowleyc says:
"Whereabouts is this delivery supposed to... be delivered?"
"Hmmm...? Oh, to my forge. It... it... it's in Targos. Here. Not far away.

The iron's on a sled. About six hundredweight. Very good for weapons and armour. You have to alloy it for weapons though. Weapons need sharpness and toughness, you see? Young smiths today don't realise that, think it's all about the sharpness. Bu.. bu.. but that's fine to sell a sword, but where will it be after a battle? Eh? Broken, that's what, you see?"

The old dwarf begins to settle into a familiar rhythm complaining about the smiths of today.
Graendel Granitefist
Jan 10, 2022 9:49 pm
Okto both chuckles and sighs defeatedly, shaking his head, "Granitefist, has an entire sled's worth of iron been sitting outside your smithy for the past day? If that's the case, we should finish our drinks and head over there quickly, otherwise it'll be gone in less time than it takes Ma to call me a pox-ridden crap-bag."

Ma

Adam

Jan 10, 2022 10:04 pm
Poor Graendel chews at the edge of his beard in silent embarrassment as he shuffles back to his table in shame.

Ma begins to tidy up the glasses, quietly muttering as she stacks glasses on the tray.

"I hope ye live long enough to be an elder, Okto. An’ if ye do, youngsters be learnin’ the manners not to be chucklin’ at your mistakes."

Okto knows Ma, and those are the harshest words he’s ever heard her use. Other than the demonic stuff, obviously.

She shouts over to the dwarf as she gives Okto a warning stare.

"Hold up Graendel. Let these coves walk ye back."

Ma
Jan 10, 2022 10:19 pm
OOC:
Oops, I didn't mean to insult both of them lol
Realizing the damage he just did, Okto immediately begins panicking and goes into damage control mode, wishing he could take back the words he just absent-mindedly muttered. Okto's whole mental health hinges on everyone around him liking him, and now he is in crisis mode. He immediately stands up and apologizes to Ma for his words, promising to make it up to her after the party helps ol' Graendal out. He then walks at Graendal's side as he begins to leave the establishment, apologizing to him and telling him he'll help him out free of charge, but can't say the same thing about his new companions.
Jan 11, 2022 3:54 am
Rayne can't help but be amused at the exchange between Okto and the others. He waits until Okto has finished making amends and tells him, "Don't take it too hard Okto, and I do think you are right...at least the part about the ore, not about Ma" Rayne quickly adds, not wanting to incur the wrath of the innkeeper.

"If we aim to help old Graendal, we should set out soon. I'm not sure if the Yetis would be interested in a haul of Battlehammer iron, but I'm sure there are plenty around here that would be. The sooner we get a hold of it, the better."
Last edited January 11, 2022 3:55 am
Jan 11, 2022 7:25 pm
Outwardly, Bells, kept her mask projecting a bit of false bravado as the dwarf took stock of her like a prize mare. Eventually it always came to this moment where your worth as a commodity was evaluated and you are stamped with a price. It wasn't personal...just business.

However, the process seemed to steal a bit of your soul making you feel a little less human each time. Bells thought back when she was naive about the way world worked. After catching the eye of the local lord, the bard had sneered at his servant, sent to procure her, that not everything was for sell. Apparently, some take what they can not buy. In the future, the bard found it safer to hear the offer before countering. If in negotiations then one, usually, had enough time to scheme a safe retreat.

Apparently, the bard had not lost all of her nativity as she thought it possible to escape the fate of most of her stage sisters. Being a lone woman was a hard life and most found it took more than a song to get through it.

Bells could feel the burn in the back of her throat as the bite of tobacco washed over her. The bard knew youth still favored her with smooth skin and firm flesh but the area was depressed so it would affect the pay but maybe the conditions would be more favorable. All those thoughts were swirling around her head as Hlin Trolbane did what not many do...surprised her!

The bard's eyes widened and her head snapped back not unlike she had been slapped. The dwarf wasn't putting a price on her head. Ah, I see. The bard scrutinized the pen and ink image unfurled before her giving the woman a moment to collect her thoughts. To clarify,, you are a member of the law in these parts? I usually am a woman who deals in information more than unsecured heads so is there a reward for knowing his location? And if I was to secure what you sought then your office is here in town?

Hlin Trollbane

Adam

Jan 12, 2022 9:10 am
Hlin Trollbane
Jan 12, 2022 4:45 pm
Bells attention followed the dwarf's line of site. Her dinner companions were donning their furs and the bard quickly weighed her options. There was coin to be made tonight among the numerous patrons in the bar. The air was warm if smokey and likely Ma could find a spot for her to lay her head after a night of entertaining the guest.

So why did her feet rush forward giving Rayne a playful pout, Were you trying to leave without me? Was it possible the lone woman was a role the performer was tired of playing? It would seem so as the bard turned her back on a full house to done her luxurious fur before following the party back into the bitter cold.

Graendel Granitefist

Adam

Jan 13, 2022 3:26 pm
Targos - 16 Uktar 11:00

https://i.imgur.com/joha54r.jpg

The light outside the tavern is thin, strained grey, and pastel-washed with Auril's magical aurora despite approaching noon.

Graendel shuffles towards his forge; he hunches against the driving snow and stinging wind. His steps are slow and unsure; his staff slips in the ice.

Once, he was a warrior of the Mithral Hall who fought at the Battle of Bryn Shander, and the Ten Towns hailed him as a hero who helped defend civilisation against the barbarian hordes. Graendel's talents as a smith were renowned along the Sword Coast. Waterdhavian nobles would proudly show off fine blades, taking care to draw attention to the foaming mug topped with a florid GG - Graendel's markers' mark. Once, this dwarf was a warrior, a smith of exemplary craft, and a cunning metallurgist.

Now, Graendel looks for company with whom he can reminisce about when he was relevant and finds instead brash half-orcs who ridicule his failing memory. The lonely old dwarf drags his feet through a dying town towards a consignment of metal that, once forged, will never be sold.

Graendel Granitefist and Icewind Dale! They once rang out with legend, yet now they seem pathetic and insignificant - stories fading not to black but instead to grey; tales ending not with applause but to Okto's mocking snicker.

https://i.imgur.com/WcQnMMQt.jpgThe dwarf's failing eyes scan the snow beneath his drooping head, but your younger sight sees ahead to the forge. Two snowshoes peek out of the snow like big round eyes next to an ice-frosted sign "Graendel's Fine Dwarven Craft". Behind the snowshoes, a dwarf bundled in dark-bloodied furs lies against the forge's door.

Vicious slashes have opened her face, blinded an eye, and left her ear in ragged tatters. Her face is pale cyanic blue. Embossed on her frost-smeared leather spaulders are foaming mugs - the symbol of the Battlehammers.

Not seeing the grisly sight of his clansfellow ahead, Graendel continues to shuffle forwards as he fumbles for his key and mumbles to himself about modern clothes having too many pockets.
OOC:
We've introduced the world and your characters. Now it's time for them to get involved.

Graendel Granitefist
Jan 13, 2022 4:03 pm
With the warm tea and stew in his belly, Anders throws back on the heavy layers and heads out into the cold and dark with the others. Even as warm as his clothes are, the cold air nips angrily at his nose before his scarf is pulled up. One look to the colored sky reminds him of just why he loves the north so much, before trudging through the snow and remembering why he didn't. Though he had spent some time in this town, he still didn't know all the major personalities. He wasn't even sure he had interacted with this living memory, nor been to his smithy. More likely Anders had purchased his wares from the market square.

Along the way, with thoughts of coin to be made dancing in his head, the northerner is annoyed with the presence of others (since pay is often split), until he isn't. The corpse, not an uncommon sight out in the wilderness, was a strange find within the town walls. Anders makes a shushing noise to those in his group, motioning that the elderly Dwarf didn't need to know about this... yet. He examines the area for tracks, hoping to find the one (or ones) responsible for this ghastly murder. 'Didn't the old man mention Yetis? With this sort of damage, it's possible... but how would they have gotten into town to do this? More likely a sick son-of-a-troll desperate for any spoils,' he thinks to himself.

Rolls

Survival (Expertise) - (1d20+7)

(19) + 7 = 26

Dwarven woman

Adam

Jan 13, 2022 4:17 pm
Although the snow has tried to cover the evidence, Anders' talent is superior.

What to others looks like a gruesome scene is read by the ranger as easily as a child's book.

The tracks were made by the exhausted dwarf dragging herself there - sometime within the last hour - whilst you were all in the tavern. In the ranger's experience, the wounds match those of a frenzied yeti attack, but he'd judge them to be many hours old. The dwarf is unconscious and will die soon without medical attention and warmth. Even then, it'll be a while until she's fit enough to walk.

The facts fit together. A yeti attack on the ice, some distance away. The dwarf drags herself to Targos, perhaps looking for aid, before her injuries and exhaustion drag her into insensibility.

And not all of the blood on her furs is her own.

Dwarven woman
Jan 13, 2022 7:48 pm
The warmth from the bar had done its job and the blood had once again been coaxed to flow freely into extremities. Oh, it made it so much more painful when the cold returned with a bite. So wrapped up in trying to keep her head down and maintain steady footing, Bells didn't notice the prone dark form before a shushing noise caught her attention. A furrow crossed the bard's forehead as her head jerks toward Anders. If he thinks she can control her jingle... Ohhh, what was that? No! Who was that? A Dwarven woman. Was she alive?

Not giving thought to the sensibilities of the elder dwarf or the instructions by Anders, Bells rushed forward falling to her knees. A small curl of air passed like smoke from injured one's lips leaking some of the last vestiges of her life force. A lullaby, Bells knows, that Dwarven mothers sing to their ailing little ones wraps the woman in Healing Wound.

Smoothing a strand of hair from the dwarf's forehead, Bells looks over her shoulder to the stronger men of the party. The cold will soon rob her of any benefit of my song. Will someone gently carry her inside?
Last edited January 13, 2022 10:26 pm

Rolls

Healing Wound - (1d4+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Jan 14, 2022 12:19 am
Quote:
brash half-orcs who ridicule his failing memory ... Okto's mocking snicker.
OOC:
Alright alright, he apologized, what more do you want :)
Okto, usually a cheerful chatty cathy is silent as his mind races, overflowing with the thoughts of how much his careless remarks might cost him. Not in monetary ways, but in relationships and fun nights. Rumors and gossip are like a pandemic around these parts, and he's gotta heal patient zero before she infects everyone in that tavern with her demonic mouth. He thinks, oh crap! I'm doing it again! He figuratively slaps himself across the face, trying to beat the mean, mocking thoughts out of his brain.

His mind is so clouded by these thoughts he forgets everything, he steps on multiple cracks and under a ladder on their path over to Graendel's without even realizing it, and he stops paying attention to the conversation going on around him. Only when Anders shushes and Bells stops jingling does he snap back to the current moment.
Okto, after living in the Ten Towns all his life and surviving two years worth of lottery sacrifices, barely flinches at the sight of the dwarven body. Frosty, aurora-like energy begins coalescing around Okto's hand as he reaches out to the body, but Bells beats him to the healing punch. Wanting to counterbalance the bad energy he's put into the world tonight, he immediately begins shoveling the snow off the dwarven woman and starts gently picking her up. That same wintery energy surrounds him as he mutters a word under his breath, which seems to gather at his knees and elbows, supporting him as he starts picking up the woman.
OOC:
Not sure if I need to roll a STR check, but will just in case. Ignore if not needed

Rolls

Strength check (with Guidance) - (1d20+1d4+3)

(14) + (1) + 3 = 18

Jan 14, 2022 12:41 am
All the signs pointed to Yeti. One was bad news, more was a death sentence. But he himself often lived outside city walls, so having a team by his side would be a rare opportunity to hunt them down. Anders wiggles his mustache as he looks at the drag marks. It may not lead him to the creatures, but any day his token wasn't pulled was a day of luck.

"Yetis did this. If the Dwarf will live, help warm the hearth and then help me find this creature. And perhaps the shipment of iron. And Okto, try to be nice."
Jan 14, 2022 2:10 am
"What is a yeti?" Ilenos says, looking up from his tweaking. "The mechanism I've setup here can help keep this place warm, which I'll appreciate when we return." He looks around to see if anyone else understands what Anders' is saying.
Jan 14, 2022 7:07 am
Without looking at Ilenos, Anders responds to the question. "Big scary hairy things. Claws and teeth, and some powerful eyes. Bad tempers. Scared of fire
Able to do... that."
He retrieves his bow and adjusts his quiver to be more accessible. Who knows how far the Dwarf crawled, but Anders knew better than to be caught without arms.
OOC:
Including a Nature check to see if I know more than that about Yetis. If you want a game where most monsters are complete mysteries, let me know. Otherwise, I generally assume we know a rough description about many, such as having an idea about what a Kobold or a Yeti is.
OOC:
Edited to include more details as provided.
Last edited January 14, 2022 8:17 am

Rolls

Nature - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Jan 14, 2022 7:27 am
cowleyc says:
OOC:
Including a Nature check to see if I know more than that about Yetis. If you want a game where most monsters are complete mysteries, let me know. Otherwise, I generally assume we know a rough description about many, such as having an idea about what a Kobold or a Yeti is.
OOC:
Anders is an arctic ranger. He'd know about yeti, and survival would be an acceptable skill too, so - yeah - with that roll? Anders knows a lot about yeti.

Anders knows:
* Yeti are ferocious tundra predators.
* They hunt in blizzards using their keen sense of smell.
* They fear fire.
* Their gaze can paralyse.
* They take humanoid heads as trophies.
* Best avoided.
* By remaining quiet and listening for their howls you can sometimes get an idea of where they are.

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.