1. Targos

load previous

Ma

Adam

Jan 4, 2022 6:35 pm
A snarling, sneering Ma slides a large teapot and mugs towards Okto.

"Your tea! You filthy, pox-ridden half-breed monster."

Her features again smooth over into an innocent matronly smile as she pushes a small bowl of blubber cubes onto the table after the teapot.

"An' there be some nice creamy fresh blubber for those who be takin' their tea Icewind style. I hopes ye enjoys it, me darlin's."

Icewind Dales tea is strong, scalding hot, thick with bitter leaves, and incredibly tannic. Adding blubber cubes to melt into the tarry mixture is seen as slightly luxurious.

"I'll just get ye soup and leave ye to be natterin' but don't be hoggin' ye guests, matie Okto - there be plenty o' folk here who would be welcomin' hearin' a fresh tale or fresh ears to torture with their own yarns."
OOC:
@keleth, @cherokeewind I'm just filling in dead air until you chime in.
Ma
Jan 5, 2022 3:55 am
"These tragedies, omens... no one knows what's causing them? I'd offer my aid if I could help. If not, it seems best I keep to myself..." Ilenos says in response to Okto. He leans over the bar, "Ma'am, anything without meat? If not, I'll do with just a stew." He looks towards the kitchen to see how the run their fire. A bit of mechanical help if needed could earn some good will.
OOC:
Sorry, still getting over the flu. Can I make a perception roll or something of the sort (maybe passive) to see if something stands out as could use technical improvement within Ilenos's skills? You know how you or I would see code and go "Oh, we can touch that up a bit"?

Copper Knobberknocker

Adam

Jan 5, 2022 6:44 am
"The trout soup barely has any meat." mumbles the teddy bear cosplay gnome who Ma addressed as Copper.

Ma gives him a friendly cuff around his furry ears.

It takes a while to convince Ma that seal blubber also counts as meat. With some bemusement, she fusses off to the kitchen to fix you up a vegetable soup with hardtack.

"...Ma's hardtack, now with 50% extra hard." appends Copper.

Ilenos begins casually redesigning the open kitchen in his mind. Some copper strips along the side of the countertop would redirect more heat into the dining room... Ooo - a polished steel plate to reflect some of the heat and light, easier to clean too. It wouldn't need to be thick, so it's a cheap solution. ...and that would create a heat differential that could be used to drive a small fan.

A hundred little ways to make the world a little bit better fit together like a jigsaw in Ilenos's head and his fingers ache to start reaching for tools.

Copper Knobberknocker
Jan 5, 2022 6:35 pm
Without having to be told twice, Anders pours himself a cup of the tea and adds a generous portion of the blubber. The drink was painfully rich, but Anders had grown to appreciate it (even if his tongue did not). The warmth flows through his body, and his sinuses begin to clear. Slumping back into his chair, he lets out a sigh.

One eye opens to peer at the others. To Rayne, "Can't say as I've heard of this group. 'Round here, most folks want to stay to themselves. And especially in superstitious times such as these, folks practicing magic tend to do so behind closed doors. Might I ask what business it is you have with these scholars?" His nose is running from the steam of the tea, and Anders wipes it off on a sleeve of which it is impossible to determine the cleanliness.
Jan 5, 2022 7:20 pm
Entrance into the bar brought with it that unique fragrance that bars had that let one experience of the whole gamit of life in one sniff. Oh, there were the warm welcoming smells of wood burning in the hearth and maybe a hint of yeast from rising bread but there were also those undertones of unwashed bodies and the acid contents of someone's stomach if she wasn't mistaken. Yes, Bells had certainly become familiar with bars making both her living and her home in them of late.

The petite woman began to shed her outer layer. Exquisitely soft fur of the reinder pelt that had insulated her warmth out in the bitter cold brushed against her cheek, Yes, please, a drying rack would be appreciated along with something...sweet?

Dried strips of salty fish and hard biscuit might nourish the stomach on the journey toward the ten towns but it certainly didn't feed the soul. Bells' tongue hungered for sticky delights glazed with honey and cinnamon within flaky pastry. The Southern native knew it most likely a vain hope to have the comforts of home but surely an alternative would be offered.
Last edited January 5, 2022 7:30 pm

Elderly dwarf

Adam

Jan 5, 2022 9:01 pm
There's a long drawn out scraping as an ancient dwarf drags a stool from a dark corner. His head droops as if it's too heavy for his neck. The screeching stool dragging goes on, and on, and on. A young bookish-looking woman at the side of the room starts giggling out of embarrassment.

The stool stops at your table and the dwarf slowly creaks himself down.

"N... n... n...." He begins, but not in a stutter, it's more like his voice is rocking back and forth before taking a run-up at the first word

"Not superstitions, eh? I was there for the big battle, the battle of Bryn Shander. Must have been, ooo..., was it before the.. did Easthav... Ooo.. the time of King Bruenor anyway. I wasn't young then. 'Grandpa Whitesmithy' they called me. ooo... what was that lad's name...? Ooo... it'll come to me. It's not my strength I miss. It's my eyes, you see? Heh. You see?! Because I can't! Well, I can, but not as well as when I was young. And we were in the ambush, and, ooo... what was his name? Tall dwarf? Who are you and what are you doing here?"

Head drooping, the old dwarf peers through his bushy eyebrows at you, his watery eyes full of polite curiosity as his old mind shifted tracks from the old glory days to introductions.

Elderly dwarf
Jan 5, 2022 9:02 pm
CherokeeWind says:
Yes, please, a drying rack would be appreciated along with something...sweet?
Ma
"You filthy foreign pox-ridden doxy!" spit Ma venomously as she seamlessly transitions into her soft tones "Something sweet? I be having a sweet tooth meself, dear. I shouldn't but ye've got to have a little treat, don't ye?

I'll get ye some honeyed trout oil with some elderberries, and a nice glass o' applejack brandy, eh my lovely? That's me favourite when I wants something sweet."

As Ma bustles off, the old dwarf leans over and peeks up at Bells.

Graendel Granitefist
"T... t... t... that's not Ma talking, you know? That's the ooo... what do they call it now? Used to call it black ice. Heh. And before that, we used to call it names I can't repeat in a lady's presence. Ethen found a bit as a girl but didn't know what it was. It's like a demon curse. She doesn't even know it's talking through her, you see? Chardalyn! What did the elves call it? Cryshal-Tirith, crystal tower. You don't see many of the old elves around anymore. Good for them I say, eh?"

Jan 5, 2022 11:31 pm
As the old dwarf starts talking, Rayne busies himself fixing a hot cup of tea. While drawing the steaming mug to his lips, he freezes with the cup held in mid-air at the old man's mention of the word Chardalyn. "That word...", he says with a look of surprise in his eyes, "I can't say that I heard it before, but it somehow carries a meaning to me."

Rayne puts the cup down, his tea forgotten for the moment. "A curse with a name, you say, the name 'Chardalyn'. What are its origins? Does it have anything to do with the lottery?" Rayne says as he peers intently at the dwarf.
Last edited January 5, 2022 11:35 pm
Jan 6, 2022 1:49 am
Dark curls spilled out from under the hood. Not ebony like a raven's wing like some of her half sister's had but a dark chestnut that shone with highlight if strands caught the firelight at the correct angle. Travel had left her locks more tumbled than usually so the woman brushed her fingers through her hair trying to work out tangles.

Appearance seemed to be important to the young woman as a variety of cosmetics seemed to have been used to enhance her natural features and honeyed skin. Kohl outlined warm brown eyes that seemed to twinkle with a bit of hidden mirth. The lines drawn seemed to extend past the edge of her eye contributing to an exotic look. High cheeks could have been reddened by a touch of ocher powder or just as possible the skin was colored by the extreme cold. Although her lips, shaped much like a bow and colored like fresh raspberries, showed signs of cracking as the winter wind had stole precious moisture with only a touch.

But the application of color was not limited to the woman's face. Bright layered clothing edged with golden embroidery adorned her form. The contrasting colors with shimmering baubles attached gave the illusion of constant movement drawing attention toward the performer. It was a delicate balance the way the woman emphasize the curve of her hip by tying a scarf at her waste but was careful not to show too much cleavage. There was a power in mystery the performer exploited, in addition, to trying not to be mauled every night.

Of course, the beauty had more than her virtue to protect. Whether the giant gold hoops that twirled with an azure starburst patterned stone or the matching amulet she wore at her wrist or the clunky signet ring that took a piece of yarn wrapped around the back to enable her more delicate finger to fit...it was all jewelry. Instead of protecting the few items left from her former life, the bard didn't hide her treasures but put them on full display to the public. Who wouldn't know that the earring was hers when she made a point to tug on it as she winked to the crowd? Maybe not a perfect system of determent but it had worked so far.

And then there were the bells. Sweet sounding jingling bells that punctuated every step the woman made. The bard truly carried forth music into every place she walked. Even now while the her coat was being shrugged off her shoulders, the bells tinkled.

Confusion was clear with the first acidity response from Ma before the proprietor slipped back into her more expected friendly tone. Bells only nodded her head at the offered brandy not wanting to attract more of Ma's ire.

The older Dwarven gentleman that had manged to position himself at their table despite having some mobility issues offered the reason. Bells, never underestimate the old foxes...that grey is earned with some lessons. Bells was thankful for the explanation for the changing disposition of the matron and thought about any references to a crystal tower. Thank you for setting the record straight, Grandpa Whitesmithy, if that be the name you would have me call you by. Please, let me make my introduction to all. I'm, hopefully, known both far and wide as an entertainer of no little skill who your can always hear coming, the bloom of the desert, Bells! The bard threw her arm in the air with flourish while stomping a foot to cause her words to be accompanied by her name's sake. A pleasure to share a table with you all.

Graendel Granitefist

Adam

Jan 6, 2022 7:18 am
The lonely old dwarf suppresses a smile at having found a topic of conversation that you seem to be interested in. He orders a round of applejack brandy for the table before people change their mind and try to escape. He pays with gold from a bulging money pouch.

He pats Bell's arm. She jingles.
"You can call me Graendel, dear."

He then slowly turns to look at the table in front of Rayne,
"Ch.. ch.. chardalyn. That's right. Black ice. It's black, you see? And a crystal, but you can work it like metal. It has similar fracture characteristics to mithril and is just as knotty to alloy. People think it's only about the melting point, you see? But you have to take wetting into account, especially when runesmithing."

"Bu.. bu.. but the black ice here is demon tainted. It's proper evil stuff and taints the soul if you have it on you for any time. It's a shame really as it holds magic well. Great lumps of it in the south after the cryshal-tirith was destroyed. I didn't see that, I was in the mines of Termalaine, you see."

He gives a chuckle.

"Full of kobolds, I hear. The Termalaine mines, that is. Heh, heh, many in Targos happy to hear about Termalaine's problems. Even with the reward, there'll be no help from Targos. But they don't think it through, do they? If Termalaine can't mine, they'll fish, and there's precious little enough unfrozen water to share."
The dwarf sips at his brandy, wetting his lips rather than drinking it.

"I'm expecting a delivery of iron soon. Good Battlehammer iron. Do you know Battlehammer iron? Best Icewind dwarven iron for weapons and armour. It needs a little alloying for weapons though. It's all about the trade-off between sharpness and toughness, you see?"

Perhaps sensing that he's overplaying the smithing conversational gambit and not wanting to lose the company, he opens another front with Bells.

"D.. d.. do you know any dwarven ballads, dear? The ballad of firedamp is my favourite, do you know it? Always brings a tear to my old eyes, that one. My ma had a lovely singing voice, you know? I can still hear her warbling the bit about the poor canary."

Graendel Granitefist
Jan 7, 2022 3:49 am
And so it began...a patron with a thick money pouch...a request for a song...tonight, it wouldn't only be bells that jingles by the end of the night. The scrape of the chair screeched as the woman pushed back from the table. Reaching for her pack, Bells unties an oil cloth wrapped around what most would call a lute but from her country of origin it was known as an uod.

Oh, it was a fine instrument made from a combination of cedar and sheesham allowing the deep resonate sound of the woods to reverberate fully through the pear body. Three decorative roses under the strings were used to enhance the beauty of the body not dissimilar to the owner's own use of outer adornment. The shortened neck lent itself well to be held by a more delicate form without a long reach. Once hoisted into her arms, an eagle's feather was used as a plectrum.

A few plucks of her strings with an adjustment bringing the notes in tune. I have spent more than one evening lost in a pint of fine ale with a table of dwarves. Have no fear I won't be able to find a familiar tune. Now the Battle of the Firedamp isn't one I know but see if this one catches the spirit.

Standing with a foot in her abandoned chair with her udo resting on her knee, a sweet sad melody floated through the barroom. As the notes flowed, attention was drawn to the central table. Conversations seemed to quite allowing the haunting words of the bard to sing a tragic story.

By Clyde's bonnie banks as A sadly did wander
Amang the pit heaps as evenin drew nigh;
A spied a young lassie aa dressed in deep mournin
A-weepin an wailin wi mony's the sigh.

A stepped up beside her an thus did address her:
"Come tell me the cause o yer trouble an pain."
Sabbin an sighin, at last she did answer
"Johnnie Murphy, kind sir, wis ma ain true love's name."

"Twanty-wan years o age, fu o youth an guid lookin
Tae wark doun the mine at High Blantyre he came,
The weddin was fixed, aa the guests were invited
That calm simmer's evenin young Johnnie wis slain."

The cave in wis heard, aa the women an children
Wi pale anxious faces thae haste tae the mine.
Whan the news wis made out, the hills rang wi thair mournin
A hunderd an twanty young miners were slain.

Nou sweetherts an wives an sisters an brithers
That Blantyre burial thae'll never forget;
An aa you young miners that hears ma sad story
Shed a tear for the miners wha're laid tae thair rest

https://i.imgur.com/ATDp8bu.jpg
Last edited January 7, 2022 3:51 am

Rolls

Performance - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Jan 7, 2022 4:39 am
From the moment Bells reveals her colorful and particularly noisy attire, Anders has a hard time keeping his eyes off her. It isn't from infatuation, but rather that she was antithetical to all that the North is. Color and youth and life as opposed to the cold, dark, listlessness that surrounded him day after day. Even through the rambling of the old Dwarf, he stares... only catching himself when she rises to play that song and sing aloud. It is hard to tell if he blushes from embarrassment, or if his cheeks are naturally ruddy from the cold. Passing on the brandy, he continues to sip (rather noisily) at his thick tea. When she finishes, he slides his brandy towards her, raising his piping mug in a lazy salute to good skill.

"You know, you never did say what it was that brought someone like you all the way up here, where the only survivors are codgy old Dwarves and men too stupid to head for warmer climes. And why you chose such a sad song for a notably mournful day such as this."
Jan 7, 2022 7:10 am
Rayne is stunned for a second time since arriving in Targos, listenting to Bells' tune. Although he had become acquainted with the bard during their travels he had not heard her perform until now. He lets the eerie tune wash over him, listening to the thrum of the udo and the bard's undulating voice weaving its spell.

When the song finishes, Rayne says "A fitting tune and well played. Bravo Bells," as he nods to his traveling companion, all thoughts of Chardalyn and the dwarf's tale momentarily forgotten.
Last edited January 7, 2022 7:10 am

Graendel Granitefist

Adam

Jan 7, 2022 10:43 am
A hush descends on the tavern like the snow falling outside. The bard's strings gently drift through the air, carrying the patrons atop her melancholic tune to the scene of her tragic dwarven tale.

Graendel's eyes mist as this ballad of rememberance bears him into the past. Every elder was a child once, and once more this agèd dwarf is a young boy in the mine listening to his mother sing.

But one doesn't need to be a dwarf to understand the song. In harsh Icewind Dale, loss and mourning are everpresent and universal. Bells' melody sinks gossamer silk barbs into the hearts of all who hear it and squeezes them in sentimental embrace.

As the last notes fade away, the room slowly wakes from the bardic spell.

Graendel Granitefist
OOC:
@CherokeeWind put some inspiration on Bells' character sheet

Hlin Trollbane

Adam

Jan 7, 2022 11:03 am
The silence is broken by the thumping of an ironshod boot from a dark booth - a dwarven applause. A match flares, illuminating a middle-aged dwarven woman relighting a short stubby nosewarmer pipe.

"Aye lass. Tha knows tha way 'round dwarven tune and there's magic in voice."

Her face is menacingly lit from the dim red embers from her pipe before she adjusts her booth's lantern to a level acceptable to humans. ​She calls across to the old dwarven smith in a thick dwarven accent.

"Granitefist? Tha doesn't mind if ah have word with this'n?"

Without waiting for a reply ,the woman pushes a stool out with her boot and gestures to it with her pipe.

"Sit, lass."

Hlin Trollbane
Jan 7, 2022 8:54 pm
OOC:
I apologize if I missed something, I had quite a bit to catch up on so I might've missed a detail or three
Now that the group has settled in and begun a conversation, Okto can't help but feel inspired by Bells and unconsciously gravitates towards her. Everyone around the Ten Towns is so dark and dreary, it's just nice to see another face other than his own that the cold hasn't frozen yet. (Rather than RPing responses to everything that's happened,) Throughout the group's conversations, Okto continually holds a cheerful attitude and throws in helpful comments when he can.

Okto gives Bells a wholehearted round of applause when she finishes her song. He frequents all the taverns in Targos very... well, frequently, but mostly the music within them are just the drunken songs of sailors who can't sing or dance if their lives depended on it.

After Hlin makes her presence known, Okto speaks up for Granitefist, knowing the old man is getting quite frail and vulnerable in his old age, Okto immediately feels defensive of him. He says softly to Granitefist sitting beside him, "You don't have to go over there and speak to her if you don't wish to, I've heard she's bad news."

Hlin Trollbane

Adam

Jan 8, 2022 9:30 am
The gruff dwarven woman removes her pipe to bark in thick dwarven dialect at Okto,

"Gi'o'er tha cloth-eared ha'p'orth. Ah've nowt t' say to Grae..."

She pauses, seeing the incomprehension her broad accent sows. She tries again, enunciating each word carefully.

"Give over you cloth-eared half-penny's worth. I have nowt to ..."

Nope. Elocution is still not cutting the incomprehension. She tries again, but in common Common.

Her voice becomes higher, less raspy, and almost childlike as she attempts to imitate human speech.

"Graendel's propinquity is unwarranted, for it is the consummate rhapsodist with whom I require colloquy."

Another confused pause, but Hiln's next growl is quite clear.

"I want to talk to the girl."

She stabs towards Bells with her pipe before gesturing to the stool.

Hlin Trollbane
Jan 8, 2022 9:54 am
Previously...
OOC:
I think we need a "previously...".

Not all facts were known to everyone (some were private so don't be surprised if you were unaware of some of this), but in the interests of momentum, I'll give a summary here.

* The goddess of winter now keeps this land in darkness.
* Targos is grim.
* It has a lottery for human sacrifice.
* Our heroes met up and went to The Flags tavern.
* The Flags is busy.
* Bells' song was well-received, and people are receptive in talking to you.

NPCs you've met

Ma

Runs The Flags.
An elderly woman who treats everyone warmly.
Bit of a softie and "forgets" to charge customers who are down on their luck.
Infected with Chardarlyn - a demonic crystal, that causes her to unknowingly say horrible things to people.

Copper Knobberknocker

Copper is helping Ma out, but doesn't seem to work there.
He seems a little miserable at the moment.

Graendel Granitefist

Elderly dwarf who enjoys telling rambling stories.
Fought at the battle of Bryn Shander (over a century ago).
Associated with The Battlehammer clan.
Extremely skilled blacksmith and whitesmith.

Hlin Trollbane

Gruff retired bounty hunter from the south.
People have pasts in Icewind Dale, so Hiln taking an interest in them is rarely a good thing.
Hiln wants to talk to Bells.

Vellynne Harpell

Middle-aged woman wearing an eyepatch.
Flanked by two small fellows still wearing furs that hide their faces.
Made notes when Graendel was talking about Chardalyn.

Potential areas of interest.
Chardalyn - magical demonic crystal, great lumps found in the south.
Termalaine - kobolds in the mine. Reward offered for dealing with them. Targos has a strong rivalry with Termalaine.
Iron - Graendel's expecting a delivery of good Battlehammer iron that he'll need a hand unloading.
Jan 8, 2022 2:39 pm
A part of a bard's job is to make sure everyone feels connected to a greater whole; a sense of community more powerful than any individual. Achieving such magic required no little skill. Not only did she need to conjure the emotions that transcended differences but afterward her validation was needed by all to assure that the moment happened. The end of the performance was an important part of the equation.

So with a small bow of her head, Bells' left Granitefist with his memories. Reaching across the table Bells scoops up the more delicate brandy goblet offered by Anders, You're a dear, before taking a sip. And don't you know that nothing soothes the soul like knowing there is another who cries? But I would be pleased to play you a more jaunty tune later. Mayhap it was the individuals pulling at her attention as Bells waved to a couple at the bar and then pointed at a table of fishermen as why she left unanswered the reason for her travels. Rayne and Okto, you're too kind.

But for some a quick acknowledgement wasn't enough. As the dwarf singled her out, Bells had hoped the summons to be lost in the translation but the dwarf was determined taking the extra trouble to make her demands request...not a good sign. Bells' instincts recognized a character best not ignored. Excuse me, gentleman, I think I'm being called for a command performance. Jingling over to the pipe wielding dwarf, I believe, I'm the girl, the bard offered with a cheeky grin.
Jan 10, 2022 3:02 am
As Bells leaves the table to talk with Hiln, the song's spell over Rayne is broken and his thoughts go back to the Granitefist's mutterings. Rayne has a strong feeling that the Kobold infestation is a distraction, not something that himself or others in the group (at least not to his knowledge), are interested in. The delivery of Battlehammer iron, on the other hand, seems like a good way to further several inquiries. It could lead them closer to Chardalyn, the demonic ore which he thinks may be tied to the group that he is searching for, and the Drawen Battlehammer smiths that Ilenos is searching for. More generally, it could provide the group with more local contacts and would help out the old dwarf, who has already helped with useful information.

"It sounds like you could use some help with that Battlehammer iron delivery," Rayne says to Granitefist, musing aloud as he sips on his hot tea, "and I can't help but be drawn to anything that might lead us to some folks who have more information on Chardalyn and its curse." He sets his tea down and continues, "I think we would be interested in some honest work if you need a hand with it."
Last edited January 10, 2022 3:05 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.