tweak/snooze_your_games

Dec 20, 2021 1:16 pm
This is pure JS - the games snoozed are in local storage.

Games with unread posts are shown regardless of whether they're snoozed.

It only works on the "Your Games" section (not recent activity menus or forums or threads).
Dec 20, 2021 1:38 pm
To what end? Don't inactive games vanish from there anyway? What am I missing?
Dec 20, 2021 1:43 pm
Ignore me. I see what you are doing.
Dec 20, 2021 3:29 pm
I see no real use for it and would only worry that it might further encourage games that hit a break to fully die.

If it happens, okay, but I would vote no
Dec 20, 2021 3:59 pm
I see it sort of as a softer version of retiring a game to get it off the list. This can be unretired, unlike retiring.
Jan 4, 2022 2:30 am
I like the idea of this feature or something similar. That is I wish we could "retire" a game from a player's side of the interface. Right now, only GMs can retire a game. I have a few games that are no longer active but the GM hasn't retired them (for example if a GM ghosted). I don't want to leave them because I would still like access in order to revisit them to read them for nostalgic purposes. Ideally, I would like them removed from the "Your Games" section of the main page and the "Games Forums" section of the forum page, but still have access to them from the Games page (similar to how retired games are still accessible in the spoiler at the bottom). I'd also like it if this feature was reversible. In fact, I wish GM retired games could be reversed as well. For example, I'd like to retire my Xmas game from last year, but with the ability to bring it out of retirement if I have time to continue it next year instead of keeping it active the whole year without posting or retiring it and having to create a whole new game again to continue the story next year.
Jan 4, 2022 3:06 am
Hear Hear!
Jan 4, 2022 3:45 am
Chalrytharendir says:
I like the idea of this feature or something similar. That is I wish we could "retire" a game from a player's side of the interface. Right now, only GMs can retire a game. I have a few games that are no longer active but the GM hasn't retired them (for example if a GM ghosted). I don't want to leave them because I would still like access in order to revisit them to read them for nostalgic purposes. Ideally, I would like them removed from the "Your Games" section of the main page and the "Games Forums" section of the forum page, but still have access to them from the Games page (similar to how retired games are still accessible in the spoiler at the bottom). I'd also like it if this feature was reversible. In fact, I wish GM retired games could be reversed as well. For example, I'd like to retire my Xmas game from last year, but with the ability to bring it out of retirement if I have time to continue it next year instead of keeping it active the whole year without posting or retiring it and having to create a whole new game again to continue the story next year.
Yes, this!
Jan 4, 2022 10:03 am
Chalrytharendir says:
That is I wish we could "retire" a game from a player's side of the interface. Right now, only GMs can retire a game.
That was the idea of snooze. It's player retirement until there's a post again.

I'm glad you mentioned "unretirement". I was wondering about that myself.
Jan 4, 2022 10:13 am
Unretiring would be nice.

The case of a game that 'might come back next year' sounds like a perfect candidate for 'snooze' rather than retirement.
Jan 4, 2022 10:15 am
The snooze feature still doesn't sit right with me for some reason. I can't totally say why. But I'd much prefer just the option to unretire a game
Jan 4, 2022 10:22 am
bowlofspinach says:
The snooze feature still doesn't sit right with me for some reason. I can't totally say why.
Agreed. That's why it's not going to be part of the merge.
Jan 4, 2022 3:05 pm
Adam says:
That was the idea of snooze. It's player retirement until there's a post again.

I'm glad you mentioned "unretirement". I was wondering about that myself.
I don't think snooze or "unretirement" should be dependent on post activity. At least, there should be the option to snooze but have it stay snoozed even if there's activity. For example, I might have played a great game with a group for a year where the story comes to a good conclusion. The rest of the group wants to continue with another story arc but I want to have time to try a new game. I don't want to lose access to the game, but I don't want to be re-snoozing everyday that they keep playing. And then maybe in another 6 months, I craving a return to the game, so I pop in and ask if my character can return at the beginning of the next story arc. Once I return, I can choose to unsnooze it.
Jan 4, 2022 4:29 pm
Well, as I understand it, snoozing wouldn't prevent you from seeing notifications anyway. It would only hide the game itself on the front page.
Jan 4, 2022 5:32 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Well, as I understand it, snoozing wouldn't prevent you from seeing notifications anyway. It would only hide the game itself on the front page.
My understanding is that snooze removes it from the front page until someone posts in the game, then it pops back up again.

I would prefer the snooze to have the same behavior as retirement. Removed from front page and Games Forums section of the forums page, but still have access via the games page. It wouldn't pop back up because of activity (or at least that should be an option), but it would be reversible, so you can unsnooze/unretire when you choose (probably a button next to the game on the games page).
Jan 4, 2022 5:58 pm
That sounds like a fantastic feature.
Jan 4, 2022 6:06 pm
I didn't realize it would reappear once someone posts in it. But now that you mention it, I think Adam said that.

What I just worry about with this is that it would make games die that wouldn't have to die if people snooze them and forget about them.

I don't really like this idea, but would accept it if there's overwhelming support for it
Jan 4, 2022 6:15 pm
We definitely don't want want to encourage games to die!

Maybe "snooze" isn't the right name for it. Instead it should be an expansion of the retirement functionality. It's not something people should be using mid game. It's to help manage old games or games that are on hiatus.
Jan 5, 2022 2:24 am
Maybe we should look into unifying this new snooze with the retire option. In this case 'Retire' would need to have an individual player option, and they would need to be able to unretire. This might be less of a 'retire this game' than a 'retire me from this game'.
The player should be marked as 'retired' in the game's list. Maybe 'retire' is not the correct term.

I don't see this significantly increase the rate of game death, and I can see how it could have the opposite effect. Currently a player would need to leave a game they are not active in, this would allow them to stay in the game but be able to ignore it for a while and not have it clutter up their dashboard.
Jan 5, 2022 7:13 am
Barely related but made me think of this one I dea I had and still really like. I think it would be great to have a new third role for games. GM, player and maybe Observer or something.
Functionally like player except without posting rights. Just so you get the new posts directly into your latest game posts feed. I'd say in public games, you should be able to apply for that and get in without needing GM confirmation but in private games, the GM would have to confirm you.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.