tweak/snooze_your_games

load previous
Jan 5, 2022 7:14 am
vagueGM says:
Maybe we should look into unifying this new snooze with the retire option. In this case 'Retire' would need to have an individual player option, and they would need to be able to unretire. This might be less of a 'retire this game' than a 'retire me from this game'.
The player should be marked as 'retired' in the game's list. Maybe 'retire' is not the correct term.

I don't see this significantly increase the rate of game death, and I can see how it could have the opposite effect. Currently a player would need to leave a game they are not active in, this would allow them to stay in the game but be able to ignore it for a while and not have it clutter up their dashboard.
I dont see how the snooze idea would help with your situation of sitting out an adventure. You'd still get all the updates on your feed. You just wouldn't see the game on your front page
Jan 5, 2022 7:37 am
bowlofspinach says:
Barely related but made me think of this one I dea I had and still really like. I think it would be great to have a new third role for games. GM, player and maybe Observer or something.
Functionally like player except without posting rights. Just so you get the new posts directly into your latest game posts feed. I'd say in public games, you should be able to apply for that and get in without needing GM confirmation but in private games, the GM would have to confirm you.
I'm not sure I am comfortable with that idear. Either our game is public and everyone can see what we write or it is private. Having a lurker that we don't know is there or not, would be ... odd.

I would rather see a better forum/tread options, where you could assign or remove writing privileges. Players have ReadWriteEdit privileges in all treads, observer would only have Read privileges expect for the OOC tread.
Last time I checked this was not a trivial thing to set up.
Last edited January 5, 2022 7:38 am
Jan 5, 2022 7:40 am
bowlofspinach says:
I dont see how the snooze idea would help with your situation of sitting out an adventure. You'd still get all the updates on your feed. You just wouldn't see the game on your front page
Sure, that would need to be fixed as well. They user should be able to choose what triggers the unsnoozing --but that is my answer to most things: "user choice".

This should make the game behave as though the user was not in it, but treat it like a public game for them. That way it does not show in 'Your Games' nor in 'Latest Game Posts'.

If the user is subscribed to threads/forums they should behave as per normal, the user can control that for themself.
Jan 5, 2022 7:42 am
runekyndig says:
... Either our game is public and everyone can see what we write or it is private. Having a lurker that we don't know is there or not, would be ... odd.
I assume they would need to be accepted into a private game before they can lurk, for a public game they can see it already, so this just makes it easier for them to keep track.
Jan 5, 2022 7:45 am
vagueGM says:
runekyndig says:
... Either our game is public and everyone can see what we write or it is private. Having a lurker that we don't know is there or not, would be ... odd.
I assume they would need to be accepted into a private game before they can lurk, for a public game they can see it already, so this just makes it easier for them to keep track.
Yes, that's what I tried to express in my message
Jan 5, 2022 7:45 am
vagueGM says:
bowlofspinach says:
Sure, that would need to be fixed as well. They user should be able to choose what triggers the unsnoozing --but that is my answer to most things: "user choice".

This should make the game behave as though the user was not in it, but treat it like a public game for them. That way it does not show in 'Your Games' nor in 'Latest Game Posts'.

If the user is subscribed to threads/forums they should behave as per normal, the user can control that for themself.
I think everyone in this thread is talking about a completely different version of how this feature would work
Jan 5, 2022 8:15 am
bowlofspinach says:
I think everyone in this thread is talking about a completely different version of how this feature would work
Agreed.
Jan 5, 2022 11:05 am
vagueGM says:
[...]

I don't see this significantly increase the rate of game death, and I can see how it could have the opposite effect. Currently a player would need to leave a game they are not active in, this would allow them to stay in the game but be able to ignore it for a while and not have it clutter up their dashboard.
That is very true. I stay in the tutorial game, although I've finished it, for reference and stuff.
Jan 5, 2022 11:49 am
vagueGM says:
bowlofspinach says:
Agreed.
Then maybe we should agree on one definition before we continue to argue against each other.

The way I understand it isthat it only removes the game from being shown in the "My Games" section on the front page. It does not get unsnoozed if someone posts but you still see all posts in it in your feed.

I believe the way vague understands is that it removes the game from the front page and either mutes all posts in it in your feed or gets unsnoozed as soon as someone makes a post in it.

@adam - it's your idea. How is it supposed to work?
Jan 5, 2022 12:20 pm
This is a dead feature, as this branch isn't part of the merge anymore. I thought you were doing an autopsy.

How it worked (before being removed):

You marked games as snoozed, then this CSS...

#yourGames .tr.noPosts.snoozed{
display: none;
}

...hid games from Your Games with no posts that were marked snoozed.

It'd be no help for antiproduct's use case, as if he snoozed the tutorial game it'd keep popping back up when people posted.
Jan 5, 2022 1:09 pm
I was merely suggesting ways it could be changed to be useful. Non-optional unsnoozing make it pointless in my mind.
Jan 5, 2022 1:15 pm
Sure. I think it was Steve Krug who said it was important to wallow in the problem before designing a solution.

I think the different use cases and processes people have talked about are interesting.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.