Yet Another New Post

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 5, 2022 10:13 pm
Hello! My name's Rujasu, pronouns are they/them, and after many years of playing computer and video games inspired by D&D and other TTRPG's, I'm hoping to get into some of the real thing. I've already started playing bowlofspinach's beginner game, and I look forward to playing with y'all and developing my skills as a player (and perhaps DM eventually!) I'm typically most interested in fantasy settings, sometimes open to modern/futuristic stuff, while apocalyptic and horror stuff is generally a hard no for me.

My favorite D&D video game is Warriors of the Eternal Sun for the Sega Genesis, which uses the old Hollow World setting. It's basic and dated, but it's one of the first things I played as a kid and has a unique charm to it. If you have a favorite TTRPG-branded video game, feel free to share or just say hi!
Jan 5, 2022 10:17 pm
Hi rujasu! I’m also new and people here are sooo nice it’s actually low-key bonkers (but in a good way). Welcome to you!
Jan 5, 2022 10:25 pm
Welcome (now also in public), rujasu!

If you want to see how GP functions, here are links to the New GP Member Guide, the forum rules, this video introduction made by user Qralloq and a little helpful formatting guide made by user Adam. You might also be interested in looking through some public games as well to get a feel for the site.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You're also invited to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to contact any of the following moderators:

bowlofspinach
CancerMan
Dramasailor
Len
Naatkinson
Qralloq
Keleth (site owner)

Happy gaming!
Jan 5, 2022 10:51 pm
Hello and welcome to GP, rujasu!
I've never played any official TTRPG video games, but I've always been a fan of narrative RPGs like Morrowind and Dragon's Age.
Have you played any TTRPG systems before?
Last edited January 5, 2022 10:51 pm
Jan 5, 2022 10:56 pm
Hey rujasu, welcome to the community!

I'm a video game fan, and I've played a few TTRPG games, though they're all DnD flavored. I enjoyed Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and I recently played through Solasta:Crown of the Magister, a game that was VERY faithful to 5e (in both good and bad ways). I'm looking forward to eating Torment: Tides of Numenera, though it's only inspired by the setting, not Cypher System. Same goes for Planescape: Torment.

Looking forward to playing with you and discussing a few games in the Discord video games channel!
Jan 5, 2022 11:59 pm
Welcome rujasu. TTRPGs are wonderful, exploring much more of your acting and writing chops than you'll get in a video game, and I hope you find some great games. If you don't find one, send me a PM and we'll see if we can chase one down together.

Len

Jan 6, 2022 12:05 am
Welcome to the community, rujasu! My favorite CRPG is Shattered Lands from SSI, a game that took place in Dark Sun. Going back even further, I enjoyed the original Bard's Tale game a lot.
Jan 6, 2022 12:16 am
Welcome!
Jan 6, 2022 12:31 am
Welcome Aboard!
Jan 6, 2022 1:39 am
Welcome to GP!

I'm not much of a video game player nowadays, but back when I was younger the D&D-related video game I remember the most was called "Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance." It was sort of cool because it had three aspects of play [1] Realm level - resource management, development, trading, diplomacy, etc; [2] Battle level - managing units of troops during large scale tactical battles; and [3] Adventurer Level - dungeon exploration using the heroes of your realm with a DoomII-like 2D/3D engine. The adventurer level of play was the closest part of the game to the typical D&D experience, but was probably the weakest because it was pretty glitchy, but I liked all aspects of the game. It was pretty fun and always made me want to try the Birthright setting at the table, but I never actually got the chance.

@Falconloft ran a homebrew game here that simulated realm-level politics and interactions, large-scale battles, and also zoomed into brief RP scenes at the level of individuals (although that was more player driven). It had a similar feeling to the Birthright video game to me because it sort of mimicked those 3 levels of play. It was more narrative than strategic because of the way the rules worked, but I enjoyed that. It was a lot of fun while it lasted.
Jan 6, 2022 2:46 am
Hello rujasu. Welcome to GP!
Jan 6, 2022 3:21 am
Welcome to GP, rujasu! You're in good video / computer game company here. Pool of Radiance represent!
Jan 6, 2022 3:43 am
Harrigan says:
Welcome to GP, rujasu! You're in good video / computer game company here. Pool of Radiance represent!
Ha, no joke, I have a POOLRAD/CURSE copy protection wheel sitting on my desk right now. Haven't actually played it in quite some time, but it's a classic!
Jan 6, 2022 3:58 am
My reading comprehension caught up and I finally understand what you were talking about in the OP, so some answers from a fellow GP newbie:

The Harebrained Schemes Shadowrun games are pretty good, though as I understand it the last couple editions of the TTRPG have been a crunchy mess under CGL…

Oh, and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is one of the best, most interesting CRPGs out there! Got me interested in the lore, which is alternately awesome and awful in the way so many ‘90s games were.
Last edited January 6, 2022 3:58 am
Jan 6, 2022 4:19 am
Welcome to the community, Rujasu!

Dang, the only TTRPG-branded video game I ever played was Neverwinter Nights, but I sure played the heck out of that!

PbP is an entirely different animal from video games or even face-to-face roleplaying but I bet you'll enjoy it a lot! I'm glad you're in bowl's game already—hope to see you in lots more!
Jan 6, 2022 5:18 am
Welcome, Rujasu! I played the heck out of Al-Qadim, Baldur's Gate, and Knights of the Old Republic. TTRPGs are even more immersive if you embrace them format, and play-by-post is a wonderful way to do so. Good luck finding a game. Please reach out if you have any questions or troubles!
Jan 6, 2022 5:37 am
Hello and welcome!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.