Chapter 5: The Robot Factory

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Jan 18, 2022 11:20 am
OOC:
That's again a 2 to 2 vote on which course of action to take, but in this case, I'll have Mia make the decision. I think that makes sense for her with her dad's life being on the line here 😄
Mia Järnek
As the group is still debating silently what to do, Mia stands up in the boat. "Dad!", she calls out. "Dad, it's me, Mia!"

Sven Järnek
Järnek drops the bottle in surprise. It doesn't break as it only fell a few centimeters but it topples over and the whiskey spills as the bottle rolls off the ledge and into the water. He turns around. "Mia, you're not supposed to be here," he says, his speech slurred from the alcohol. "Please, just turn around and go. I have to do this! I've done horrible things. I killed a woman when she was getting too close to us, back in the day. And... just look at what my research did to the students. To you. I have to end it here before Krafta can make things even worse."

Mia Järnek
"Get me closer," Mia tells the rest of you. She turns back to her father. "No, I can fix this. I went through your notes. I think I found a cure for the Ugliness. You can help me with it!" There are tears in her eyes. "Please, dad!"
OOC:
Which also leads into a weird situation though, as it should be Mia who succeeds or fails at convincing her father. But mechanically, that just doesn't work. So one of you will have to make a difficult Charm roll to succeed. Two successes needed. You'll get a +1 from Mia being there and her arguing.
Mikael has by far the highest Charm, so he should probably roll. But someone else can make a post beforehand to help him and give another +1 to his roll.

KCC

Jan 18, 2022 1:06 pm
Henry pushes the boat forward, closer and closer to the final showdown with the father, and whoever came after them. He sat hunched, like a wild animal, waiting to pounce, if things took a sudden and violent turn.
Jan 18, 2022 1:53 pm
OOC:
Make a sneak check to see if he notices you inching closer
Jan 18, 2022 2:45 pm
Stina gets near Mia, touching her gently on the arm (her shoulder being too high up) to support her.

She looks straight at the Rektor, nodding with conviction. "I believe in Mia. Do you?.. You can help her fix this. It is not too late, Rektor. Please..."

KCC

Jan 19, 2022 12:26 pm
OOC:
Sneaking!

Rolls

8d6

(15562153) = 28

Jan 19, 2022 12:41 pm
As the group is pleading with Järnek, Henry slowly pushes the boat closer and closer so that if the principal is not convinced by them, maybe they'll still be able to intervene anyway.
Järnek does not seem to notice your continuing approach.
Jan 19, 2022 4:04 pm
Mikael steps forward so as to stand next to Mia and Stina. "Rektor Järnek," he says, pleading, "We need to find a way to reverse the Ugliness. Too many kids have been hurt by this already. We can still keep Phase 3 out of Krafta's hands, but we need your help to make this happen." His eyes narrow, "That woman, the one you said got too close, that you killed? Her daughter is out there right now, trying to keep these kids safe. Please, make it up to her, make it up to the kids. We all need you. So long as they are marked by the Ugliness, Krafta will never stop hunting them - we need to reverse it, not just keep it from getting worse."

Rolls

Charm + 2 assists - (11d6)

(25645156125) = 42

Jan 19, 2022 5:23 pm
Järnek hesitates, his eyes darting from Mia, to Mikael, back to Mia. He looks down at his gun and, after taking a deep breath, puts it down on the platform he's sitting on. "You really think you can cure the students?", he asks Mia.

She immediately nods. "I know I can," she replies, maybe acting a bit more confident than she's actually feeling. "Or rather, we can. I found your formulas and your attempts to find a cure. You were really close. I figured out what you were missing." When the boat is close enough to the platform for that, Mia jumps over and wraps her arms around her father, who, compared to her creepily elongated body, looks almost comically small. "Please don't leave me, dad!"

He hugs her back and nods. "I'll do what I can to help. To solve this disaster that I caused." More to himself than anyone else, he mutters: "Even if Elisabeth won't be happy when she finds out." He lets out a shaky breath and removes himself from Mia's hug. He picks up the small case and says: "This is Phase 3. I haven't managed to destroy it yet, which apparently is a good thing."

"We should get out of here," Mia says. "Before..."

But she doesn't have the time to finish this sentence before you all hear the engine sound again, much, much closer than before. The people on the motorboat, almost certainly Krafta agents, will be here any moment now.

"Get on our boat!", Mia orders her father, as she herself grabs the paddles from his boat to bring them onto yours. "We have to get out of here!"
Jan 19, 2022 7:00 pm
OOC:
the robot factory area we're in, does it have more than one tunnel/entrance, or would we have to escape from where we entered (and collide with the incoming motorboat)?
Jan 19, 2022 7:23 pm
OOC:
Good question.
There's the one tunnel you came from and from which the motorboat is coming and another tunnel on the opposite side. Since you know there's basically a small maze of tunnels that you had to navigate through to get here, you're pretty sure it'll be the same on the other side, so it might be possible to lose the motorboat there if you act quickly

(At this point, just generally let me know what you're doing. No rolls yet, right now)
Jan 19, 2022 8:04 pm
OOC:
Vote for paddling the hell out of there via the second tunnel. Possibly, if room allows, getting Järnek on our raft, to get proper oars?

Could also use Järnek's empty raft to somehow hinder/delay the pursuers. Stuck sideways at tunnel entrance?
Jan 19, 2022 9:50 pm
OOC:
With Bowl's last post we have the Rektor in our boat, his paddles, and the serum. We should get out of the area quickly. Maybe grab the cassette player that is still playing and the gun. Use the music to trick the agents into going the wrong way in the maze. Keep the gun as a last resort to shoot a hole in their boat or destroy their motor?
Jan 19, 2022 11:24 pm
OOC:
I agree with all of the above - paddle out, w/ Rektor et all, get out quick. Take the gun, just in case.

Taking the radio might work. We should maybe turn it off first, or they'll know we're moving with it.
Jan 20, 2022 10:41 am
You quickly grab the gun and cassette player and climb back into the boat. With the narrow and twisting tunnels of the Loop that you're in, the motorboat can't go at full speed and has to stop from time to time so it's not approaching as quickly as it could on open water but it's definitely getting closer. If you want to get out of here and not fall into Krafta's hands - along with the Phase 3 vials - you need to hurry now!
OOC:
In order to get away from Krafta, we will do an Extended Trouble. That means each of you will have to take one action and make one appropriate skill roll. You can discuss what everyone is going to do or you can just go for it. Also feel free to add qualifiers like "When they come into view" or "If we're out of sight from them". I'll narrate the whole thing once all rolls are done.
In order to succeed, you need to roll a total of 12 sixes (3x number of characters). You can push your rolls and use your Shame (unless you already used it this adventure) if you want to and can justify it.

Once everyone has rolled, if you have under 6 successes, you fail outright.
If you have between 6 and 12 successes, you can decide to take Conditions. Each condition you take will add another success to the total. If you manage to get to 12 successes that way, you still succeed, but not quite as well. Something will go wrong (on top of the conditions).
If you roll 12 or more successes, you succeed and overcome the extended trouble.
Jan 20, 2022 11:23 am
OOC:
Move is Sabine's best skill, so she'd probably be paddling.
Jan 20, 2022 12:01 pm
Stina could try to orient herself, focusing on the turns of the tunnels and pointing at the ones that are most likely to get them further away from the factory and the pursuers. Calculate? (7D6)
Jan 20, 2022 12:29 pm
OOC:
It's a very loose fit for calculate. Probably closer to Comprehend or Investigate. But I'll allow it
Jan 20, 2022 12:58 pm
Despite the adrenaline, the tension and the engine noise getting nearer and nearer, Stina tries to stay focused on the tunnel branches, trying to keep a mental map of their direction. "Left here!! Should take us further away!"

Rolls

Calculate - (7D6)

(4456451) = 29

Jan 20, 2022 8:42 pm
Mikael slips into a leading roll, helping where he can, but principally encouraging the others. "C'mon, we gotta move. Those Krafta bastards are gonna be all over us in no time. Sabine, Henry, one of you start rowing your heart out! Stina, keep an eye out for any good side passages - these canals must lead somewhere, like the fuel lines in a car, but if we can lose them through careful maneuvering, all the better. Someone, be ready to turn the radio on and toss it to the side, loud and clear, just before we diverge from a path, preferably when there are three or more branches!"

Mikael himself gets out his strobe light and prepares to flip it on and temporarily blind their pursuers in the event they nearly catch up - any advantage they can get at this point might win them the day. He is adamant he will show his value, that he is more than a criminal, that there is honor to his family name...despite what his father did to land in jail.

He continues to encourage the others as they make their way along the water. "Rektor, Mia, keep an eye out for any other trouble. Yes, alright! You guys are awesome, I think we're losing them!"
OOC:
Leadership is a flat 5d6 for Mikael. Using his shame and iconic item (portable strobe light) to add +2 - g'luck everyone!

Rolls

Leadership + Shame & Iconic Item - (7d6)

(4133521) = 19

Jan 20, 2022 8:43 pm
OOC:
Uhh, how does pushing work again?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.