Hello everyone!

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 19, 2022 6:41 am
Hi everyone,

I am new to play by post. I joined a Traveller game via a Discord server a while back, but unfortunately it ended before it really got started. I hadn't thought about getting back into another PbP until someone on the server mentioned Gamers Plane. I have a feeling that this kind of game will fit my play style.

I'm currently in online group RPG games on Sundays and Thursdays. I GM the Sunday night game and play in the Thursday night game. In between, I typically solo journal my way through modules. It's an interesting way to experience an adventure. You can't beat the immersion you get when you journal your way through a game. I take my time and soak in the details. There are times when I scour the internet looking for a picture, look up facts, put on music - anything to help make the scene come alive.

My biggest challenge with solo play is that I find it hard to stay focused. I can't wait to get onto the computer and continue the adventure, but I can easily get sidetracked. Also, it feels like I'm missing something when I play alone. Even just having one person to riff off of makes a huge difference. I look forward to meeting up with some of you for a game.

Nelson
Jan 19, 2022 6:45 am
Hello and welcome to GP! I know some folks do solo games around here too, I’ve always found it more fun to bounce off other people as well!

You mentioned Traveller - are there any other systems you play or want to try? Genres you like?

Len

Jan 19, 2022 6:47 am
Welcome to the community, Nelson!
Jan 19, 2022 6:52 am
I'm currently exploring Old School D&D. I've got a number of old modules that I have been playing through. I would definitely like to play more Call of Cthulhu or Delta Green. I find it much harder to solo through a mystery game than a dungeon crawl. I'd be curious to see how a horror game translates via PbP.
Jan 19, 2022 7:08 am
Welcome, McButterpants!

If you want to see how GP functions, here are links to the New GP Member Guide, the forum rules, this video introduction made by user Qralloq and a little helpful formatting guide made by user Adam. You might also be interested in looking through some public games as well to get a feel for the site.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You're also invited to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

I also run a beginner's game as a quick introduction to GamersPlane and play-by-post, if you're interested.

If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to contact any of the following moderators:

bowlofspinach
CancerMan
Dramasailor
Len
Naatkinson
Qralloq
Keleth (site owner)

Happy gaming!
Jan 19, 2022 7:16 am
Welcome!!
Jan 19, 2022 10:38 am
Welcome!
Jan 19, 2022 12:26 pm
Hey, Nelson! Welcome to GP!
Jan 19, 2022 1:15 pm
welcome
Jan 19, 2022 1:21 pm
Welcome Aboard!
Jan 19, 2022 1:25 pm
Welcome!
Jan 19, 2022 2:37 pm
Welcome McButterpants.

Solo gaming can be hard to find motivation.

Many find it helps to put the game out there for others to read. It does not matter if anyone actually does read it, but the need to make it polished enough to be read helps many (I am an oldie, so I say 'read', but podcasts and youtube might be becoming more common ways to put things out there, whatever works). This might feel a bit more like a focus on writing than on RPGing, so some might not like it.

What tools do you use to aid your effort? I tried some a long time ago, but never had great success. Mythic GM Emulator was about the best, but it was not till I found Ironsworn that things really clicked. Ironworn is its own game, so will need a bit of work to play DnD modules, but soloing it can teach a lot of tricks that help with other solo games and with GMing in general.
Jan 19, 2022 3:26 pm
Welcome McButterpants. There is actually a solo game you can join here which is basically a collection of other players' solo write-ups. As vagueGm pointed out Mythic GM Emulator is probably the best for solo albeit a little complex.

Call of Cthulhu games seem to pop up on GP now and then and there is a Delta Green game going on too.
Jan 19, 2022 3:36 pm
Welcome to the community, McButterpants!
Jan 19, 2022 4:11 pm
Welcome!
Jan 19, 2022 5:44 pm
Howdy!
Jan 19, 2022 6:15 pm
Hello and welcome!
Jan 19, 2022 8:29 pm
Welcome!
Jan 20, 2022 12:25 am
Well hello there, Nelson McButterpants, fancy seeing you here!

Glad you made it! I'm sure we'll game together on GP soon enough...
Jan 20, 2022 2:21 am
Harrigan says:
Well hello there, Nelson McButterpants, fancy seeing you here!

Glad you made it! I'm sure we'll game together on GP soon enough...
Thank you very much for highlighting this site. I'm excited to get started. I just need to get my bearings. I was searching around until 1 AM last night.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.