Ask Me Anything: C1NDER

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

C1NDER

bowlofspinach

Jan 19, 2022 5:59 pm
In an attempt to get to know the community and other users on GP better, we want to allow a different member each week to step into the spotlight.
You can find more information here.
About me:

Name: C1NDER
Pronouns: He/Him
Favorite Games: Pathfinder, Call of Cthulhu
Non-RPG Interests: Board Games, Video Games, Movies/TV, Sci-Fi/Horror/Fantasy books

This AMA will run until 26 January 2022.
C1NDER
Jan 19, 2022 6:11 pm
- Do you like Stephen King's book? If yes, which one is your favorite?
- Do you like legacy and/or campaign board games? Have you heard of or played Betrayal at House on the Hill or Betrayal Legacy?
- What do you like in Call of Cthulhu the most? I don't know much about this system, but I'm curious of what draws people in it. :D
- Is that LoTR on your avatar?
- Did you ever have any characters that met their demise in claws of some inhuman monsters? Or triumphantly defeated some horrific abomination in battle?
- What do you think of survival horror video game genre?

(I feel like I focused too much on the horror part of your interests, but I hope that's alright. I like horror. :D)
Jan 19, 2022 8:16 pm
-Favorite personal fantasy/scifi book recs that aren't Tolkein, RR Martin, 1984, F451, or Frankenstein? Especially if it's more modern (past 20 years or so)? I'm just starting to get back into reading a good amount, and though I have a decent-sized backlog, I am looking for more to add to it :)
-Favorite class in PF2e?
-What brought you to GP?
-Is there a reason behind the username C1NDER?
Jan 19, 2022 8:25 pm
What are your feelings about roleplaying in well established literary universes with one iconic set of characters, such as LotR?
Do you feel like your story has less relevance than the book one?
Jan 19, 2022 8:28 pm
What do you specifically like about Pathfinder games?
Jan 19, 2022 9:13 pm
Who are you in real life? Is there anything you feel especially obliged to share, or something you think we should know? How would you describe yourself?

Food Questions! What's your favorite food? You can save two fast food/convenience restaurants from oblivion, which two are they? What's the best breakfast? What's the best dessert?
Jan 19, 2022 9:37 pm
skeptical_stun says:
Who are you in real life? Is there anything you feel especially obliged to share, or something you think we should know? How would you describe yourself?[
ohoh, this so calls for a weekly question like: "What would be your DnD character sheet like?"
Jan 19, 2022 9:41 pm
What's your Guilty Pleasure film? So bad, but you just have to watch it every time it's on...
Jan 19, 2022 9:44 pm
CESN says:
ohoh, this so calls for a weekly question like: "What would be your DnD character sheet like?"
@Adam asked me a bunch of questions like that using 5e as a framework. It's damned hard to answer!
Jan 19, 2022 9:55 pm
skeptical_stun says:
@Adam asked me a bunch of questions like that using 5e as a framework. It's damned hard to answer!
I know 😈
Jan 19, 2022 10:41 pm
What was the worst book you remember that you actually read all the way through and finished?
Jan 20, 2022 6:51 am
Okay, wow, what a great start! Okay - let's see...
FlyingSucculent says:
- Do you like legacy and/or campaign board games? Have you heard of or played Betrayal at House on the Hill or Betrayal Legacy?
- What do you like in Call of Cthulhu the most? I don't know much about this system, but I'm curious of what draws people in it. :D
- Is that LoTR on your avatar?
- Did you ever have any characters that met their demise in claws of some inhuman monsters? Or triumphantly defeated some horrific abomination in battle?
- What do you think of survival horror video game genre?

(I feel like I focused too much on the horror part of your interests, but I hope that's alright. I like horror. :D)
- I DO like both legacy and campaign games. Betrayal at House on the Hill is both mechanically flawed and one of my favorite games. I haven't picked up/played Betrayal Legacy, but I would certainly like to. I do have Pandemic Legacy Season 1 & 2 that I need to play through, and have played a significant amount of Gloomhaven (another of my favorite games).

- Favorite thing about Call of Cthulhu..hmm...I will say my first experience with it has been in the last year when I joined one of Knifesedgegames's campaigns. I really like how well the mechanics of the system support cosmic horror. The sanity rules are brutal, but do a good job of portraying a slow (sometimes not so slow) spiral into madness. I enjoy that while combat exists, it has so far taken a back seat to solving mysteries. Character creation is great, too - even if you roll really well on stats, there's no way to be great at everything and the system really encourages players to lean on each others' strengths and support one another.

- It is! It's just a stylized black/white emblem of the Argonath. I like the simplicity of it.

- Not quite yet :| I expect it to happen any day now lol

- I do enjoy survival horror. I've been a fan of the Resident Evil series since it first started back in...1996? somewhere around there. I've played several Silent Hill games. There are a lot that I haven't played though. I've found that as I've gotten older, when I play video games I want to relax in a way that nail-biting, anxiety-driven jump scares can't let me do.
aquafina says:
-Favorite personal fantasy/scifi book recs that aren't Tolkein, RR Martin, 1984, F451, or Frankenstein? Especially if it's more modern (past 20 years or so)? I'm just starting to get back into reading a good amount, and though I have a decent-sized backlog, I am looking for more to add to it :)
-Favorite class in PF2e?
-What brought you to GP?
-Is there a reason behind the username C1NDER?
- Oh boy! I recently read Dune and loved that. More modern books - I cannot recommend Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn and Stormlight Archives books enough. They're very well written and fun to read. Sanderson is a master at creating magic systems. Very worth reading if you like high fantasy. Sci-fi, I read through the John Scalzi series that starts with Old Man's War a couple years ago and really, really enjoyed that. I've started the Expanse books, also very worth your time!

- Favorite class for PF2e is hard for me to pick yet. I've only built two characters that have seen play, a rogue and a monk. Both were really fun to put together and play. I'm not sure if the mechanics support it well, but I'm really drawn to the idea of the Investigator class, mostly because I love the idea of using with and knowledge to outsmart my enemies in a non-magical way.

- I came to GP because I needed a home after taking a long hiatus from PbP gaming. I played for many years, from around 2006 to 2015, mostly on a site called PbPHouse. When I decided to get back into PbP last year, that site was defunct. I looked around and found 3 sites, signed up for all 3, and found the community at GamersPlane to be the best match for me. I also really like how clean the site looks and the resources available to support games.

- I have used Cinder as my username for a long time, all over the place. That's what I was known as on PbPHouse. I wanted to reuse it here, in case any of my friends from that old site found me here. I think one of the other 2 sites I signed up for first wouldn't allow me to use just 'Cinder' so I had to make a variation, then used it here too for consistency.
Jan 20, 2022 7:10 am
- Have you ever played a Call of Cthulhu game that wasn't set in the default 1920s? If so, when was it set and if not, which era would you like to play in?
- What's your opinion in regards to Shadowrun? Seattle plays a big part in the game's world and I'm always interested in what people think of games set around the area where they live.
- How do you feel about being in a game that happened to revolve around a city-wide plague and lockdowns just as a real life pandemic went down?
Jan 20, 2022 7:34 am
Aironfabio says:
What are your feelings about roleplaying in well established literary universes with one iconic set of characters, such as LotR?
Do you feel like your story has less relevance than the book one?
- I haven't play in any such games, and now that I'm answering this question I think its because I'm not all that interested in the idea. I don't mind playing in established literary universes, but NOT with iconic characters - I would much prefer, personally, to play a unique character in the world while the events of the established story unfold around me. No judgment for people that like to play iconic characters, just not for me :)
skeptical_stun says:
Who are you in real life? Is there anything you feel especially obliged to share, or something you think we should know? How would you describe yourself?

Food Questions! What's your favorite food? You can save two fast food/convenience restaurants from oblivion, which two are they? What's the best breakfast? What's the best dessert?
- Oh fun! Reminds me the opening to a job interview lol I am married, have 2 daughters. I'm an auto insurance claims adjuster for a large insurance company. I studied German for 12 years and lived in Germany for a short period. I would describe myself as easy-going and friendly, but quiet. I find it difficult being social and am rather introverted, though I've made a severe effort to break out of that over the last several years. Covid and now, permanently working from home, has not helped that much.

- Favorite Food: Nachos

- 2 Fast Food restaurants to save? gahh....I'd have to say Qdoba and Quiznos. Quite quaint, both start w/ 'Q'.

- Best breakfast for me is hashbrown potatoes, bacon/sausage/both, a couple of over-easy eggs, and a side of toast. Bonus if there is french toast involved, or pancakes.

- Best dessert? probably any kind of fruit pie.
Jan 20, 2022 8:16 am
Keep 'em coming! This is fun!
Dr_B says:
What's your Guilty Pleasure film? So bad, but you just have to watch it every time it's on...
- Even though it won an Oscar, I feel like Forrest Gump is still a guilty pleasure. I can't quite see why. I guess because it's a thoughtful drama stuffed with malarkey. Stuff like Shawshank Redemption I will also watch if it happens to be on, but if I explain that one most people nod their heads and agree. Most people look at me funny when I say I like Forrest Gump. It came out when I was like 9 years old, and the historical fiction aspect of it captivated me, so much so that I became very interested in history and ended up studying it a great deal later in life.
bowlofspinach says:
What was the worst book you remember that you actually read all the way through and finished?
- This is really hard for me. I tend to find the good things in almost anything I read. I always finish books I start, and usually am quite certain I'll like something before I start it due to reviews and word of mouth. This is digging really far back, but I remember not caring for Dragon Tears by Dean Koontz.
Qralloq says:
What do you specifically like about Pathfinder games?
- The setting and rules are comfortable for me. I'm open to trying new stuff when I can, but I came across Pathfinder early and really fell in love with the world setting of Golarion. Like many, I chose Pathfinder over D&D 4e due to Pathfinder's similarity to D&D 3.5. I absolutely love the absurd breadth of character creation options that are available in Pathfinder 1e.
FlyingSucculent says:
- Missed this one from earlier. Yes, I like Stephen King. As a writer, his memoir 'On Writing' is probably my favorite overall book of his. Of his fiction, could be a tie between 'It' and '11/22/63'. 'The Stand' would be up there but I feel the second half falls apart for me.
DarK_RaideR says:
- Have you ever played a Call of Cthulhu game that wasn't set in the default 1920s? If so, when was it set and if not, which era would you like to play in?
- What's your opinion in regards to Shadowrun? Seattle plays a big part in the game's world and I'm always interested in what people think of games set around the area where they live.
- How do you feel about being in a game that happened to revolve around a city-wide plague and lockdowns just as a real life pandemic went down?
- I have not! Oh, I hadn't really thought about this until now. I think for contrast I'd want to go far back or far forward. Maybe Medieval Cthulhu? or Modern could be fun, sans high powered weapons and such. I could absolutely get down on a modern Call of Cthulhu game centered on a group of people that go hiking and come across some terrible stuff, for example.

- Unfortunately for me I don't know much about Shadowrun. I like Cyberpunk as a genre, and have several of the games on PC, but haven't actually dug into any of the material yet.

- Haha I don't feel too negatively about it. Interestingly, there's so little we can do in real life except being mindful of our own actions, it's a sort of therapeutic escape to be a character in a game where I get to have an active part in solving the problem and curing the city.
Jan 20, 2022 8:24 am
Quote:
Maybe Medieval Cthulhu?
@KCC ran a medieval Cthulhu game last year. It was really fun
Jan 20, 2022 9:20 am
bowlofspinach says:
Quote:
Maybe Medieval Cthulhu?
@KCC ran a medieval Cthulhu game last year. It was really fun
Wasn't it part of a set of games that when like Romans, Medieval England and Space? If I remember those have quite a good reputation.
Jan 20, 2022 1:48 pm
C1NDER says:
- I DO like both legacy and campaign games. Betrayal at House on the Hill is both mechanically flawed and one of my favorite games. I haven't picked up/played Betrayal Legacy, but I would certainly like to. I do have Pandemic Legacy Season 1 & 2 that I need to play through, and have played a significant amount of Gloomhaven (another of my favorite games).
Betrayal Legacy is pretty fantastic, the legacy mechanic works wonders in it! I played through it alone (which is not how it supposed to work, but no one I know could play a game in English with me), and I enjoyed it immensely. So highly recommend it! :D It's one of my favorites.

Did you ever try Gloomhaven the video game? Do you have any interest in video games based on board games, or vice versa?
Also, when you play board games that have you make characters (but aren't primarily RPGs), do you get invested in them? Like thinking of their background, personality, etc.? :D
Jan 20, 2022 1:54 pm
Quote:
Betrayal Legacy is pretty fantastic, the legacy mechanic works wonders in it! I played through it alone (which is not how it supposed to work, but no one I know could play a game in English with me), and I enjoyed it immensely. So highly recommend it! :D It's one of my favorites.
Is Betrayal Legacy basically the same as the Ravenwraith game, @FlyingSucculent? Because that's how I imagine it 😄
Jan 20, 2022 2:20 pm
@bowlofspinach
It was the inspiration, yes. :D Though in Betrayal you have multiple families, and usually one of the characters ends up as the traitor and fights all the others. So, Ravenwraiths if they tried to fight every single NPC (or had a rival family). XD
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.