Ask Me Anything: C1NDER

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Jan 21, 2022 6:59 am
CESN says:
Wasn't it part of a set of games that when like Romans, Medieval England and Space? If I remember those have quite a good reputation.
If I remember the names correct, there's Cthulhu Invictus (Ancient Rome), Dark Ages Cthulhu (Medieval), Gaslight Cthulhu (Steampunk/Victorian era) and another set in space that I can't recall the title of. Plus there's Delta Green for modern era Cthulhu, kind of an X-Files vibe to it.

- What are a few highlights of Golarion for you? Favourite region/organization/deity etc
- Which RPG would you say is on the top of your list to try out sometime?
Jan 21, 2022 8:19 am
FlyingSucculent says:

Betrayal Legacy is pretty fantastic, the legacy mechanic works wonders in it! I played through it alone (which is not how it supposed to work, but no one I know could play a game in English with me), and I enjoyed it immensely. So highly recommend it! :D It's one of my favorites.

Did you ever try Gloomhaven the video game? Do you have any interest in video games based on board games, or vice versa?
Also, when you play board games that have you make characters (but aren't primarily RPGs), do you get invested in them? Like thinking of their background, personality, etc.? :D
Good to know! I really do like Betrayal a lot, I'll look at picking up Betrayal Legacy for my collection. I have so many things to play lol

- Yes, I've played quite a bit of the Gloomhaven video game. It's a wonderful adaptation. I'm certainly interested in either type of adaptation, as long as its done right. I do prefer to play physical games, but sometimes the allure of having no setup or cleanup is awful nice.

- Sometimes? I think it depends on the group I'm playing a game with. If I'm with the right people and playing a lengthy game of Arkham Horror or Zombicide, for example, I tend to roleplay the character a little bit and get into their head.
DarK_RaideR says:

If I remember the names correct, there's Cthulhu Invictus (Ancient Rome), Dark Ages Cthulhu (Medieval), Gaslight Cthulhu (Steampunk/Victorian era) and another set in space that I can't recall the title of. Plus there's Delta Green for modern era Cthulhu, kind of an X-Files vibe to it.

- What are a few highlights of Golarion for you? Favourite region/organization/deity etc
- Which RPG would you say is on the top of your list to try out sometime?
These all sound fun, I'd like to give those a shot at some point.

- I've always been drawn to the Golarion version of Gnomes - their connection to the 1st world, their natural wanderlust being a condition linked directly to their vibrancy and health (the bleaching). I just think its wonderful.

- Otherwise - I like the feel of the Shackles, but have spent most of my time in the River Kingdoms. The Hellknights are cool I guess, but rather dogmatic. I dig the whole idea behind the Pathfinder Society, as on-the-nose as that is. Favorite good deity - Erastil. Favorite Evil deity - Zon Kuthon.

- I think...The Expanse RPG is probably at the top of my list. Close second would be the Witcher RPG (I played a quick start, but I would like to play more) and Monster Hunters Club
Jan 21, 2022 8:55 am
Quote:
Monster Hunters Club
If you're open for a very fast-paced game, @Dr_B is running an amazing Monster Hunters Club game here in GP that currently has an open slot!
Jan 21, 2022 9:13 am
Come join us C1NDER!
Jan 22, 2022 3:23 am
What would you say makes a great villain? You can answer separately for different types of media if need be.
You know how sometimes movie that are really similar are release at the same time? Are there any you can think of where both of the movies are good?
Jan 22, 2022 11:15 am
crazybirdman says:
What would you say makes a great villain? You can answer separately for different types of media if need be.
You know how sometimes movie that are really similar are release at the same time? Are there any you can think of where both of the movies are good?
These are really fun questions!

- Easy for me, I've had an opinion on this for a long time. A good villain is one that has clear motivations and personal stakes in plot, just as much as the protagonist. A great villain, for me, has all that plus casually subverts the narrative and/or casually seduces the reader/viewer/player to sympathize with them...even root for them (though not necessarily more than the protagonist).

- This will be really objective, but I enjoyed both Deep Impact and Armageddon, though Armageddon was certainly better. Zootopia and Sing both came out the same year and have some overlapping ideas - both of those were pretty good. I liked both Orange County and Stealing Harvard, but I was of an age to enjoy that kind of movie when they came out.

Keep the questions coming everyone!
Jan 22, 2022 11:25 am
bowlofspinach says:
Quote:
Monster Hunters Club
If you're open for a very fast-paced game, @Dr_B is running an amazing Monster Hunters Club game here in GP that currently has an open slot!
I appreciate the invitation, and trust me I continue to be tempted. I just can't commit to the post rate & learn SWADE right now, gotta keep things light until after I get my game launched.
Jan 22, 2022 2:45 pm
Which of your fandoms that doesn't have an RPG yet deserves to have one?
Jan 22, 2022 2:52 pm
Quote:
Oh boy! I recently read Dune and loved that.
Lol, I'm reading Dune right now! I'm almost done with it (planning to finish it this weekend), and I've loved it so far! Mistborn and the Stormlight Archives look awesome! I'll have to add them to my Books to Consider list :D, though, I am usually a little afraid to start an unfinished book series. For example, me and my dad really want to read the Song of Ice and Fire books together, but don't want to start them if they never get finished (staring daggers right now at GRRMartin, who is doing everything but finishing those darn books! lol).
Jan 23, 2022 3:51 am
Verrain says:
Which of your fandoms that doesn't have an RPG yet deserves to have one?
Hmm...tbh I think all of them have one now. Seems like just about anything worth its salt has had a game made of it. Since I can't think of any specific IP, I can think of a couple that are more genre-based that I haven't seen done (though there is most certainly a system out there designed for it I don't know of) -

One would be slasher horror. A game system set up and designed around creating a teen that must gather with their friends to overcome the overwhelming odds against a dangerous slasher-style enemy.

Another would be true-crime - players create law enforcement officers that work together as part of a team to unravel a mysterious case, be it taking down a narcotics ring or catching a serial killer.

If a system exists that is designed for these, please let me know!
Jan 23, 2022 4:05 am
C1NDER says:

One would be slasher horror. A game system set up and designed around creating a teen that must gather with their friends to overcome the overwhelming odds against a dangerous slasher-style enemy.
This is not a genre I generally watch or have even the slightest bit of interest in playing, but I know the question comes up on the r/rpg subreddit occasionally, maybe you could find a suitable suggestion in these posts.
Quote:

Another would be true-crime - players create law enforcement officers that work together as part of a team to unravel a mysterious case, be it taking down a narcotics ring or catching a serial killer.
This sounds like fun, but any reason in particular that you can't just flavor a "normal" investigation game like that?
Jan 23, 2022 10:23 am
Quote:
I think Gumshoe works well for that. @Falconloft ran a game of that a while ago
Jan 24, 2022 6:12 pm
Yeah, Gumshoe is specifically designed for that, although their settings tend to be a bit more fantastical. You can easily take Mutant City Blues or Trail of Cthulu and run them as straight crime though, all the tools are there.
Jan 24, 2022 8:14 pm
That's good to know! I did play one Trail of Cthulhu game a while back, but otherwise was unaware of those systems. Glad to hear there's a system that would work for it though. It would be fun to play something like the show True Detective, or the game Heavy Rain.
Jan 26, 2022 4:35 pm
"There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story." Frank Herbert

What was your favorite ending to an RPG campaign? TV show? Song? Movie?
Last edited January 26, 2022 4:36 pm
Jan 30, 2022 2:11 am
crazybirdman says:
"There is no real ending. It’s just the place where you stop the story." Frank Herbert

What was your favorite ending to an RPG campaign? TV show? Song? Movie?
RPG Campaign? Can't say I've actually gotten a chance to END a full campaign yet. Before kids and life got in the way, I was able to manage one final session as GM for the Pathfinder AP Curse of the Crimson Throne and it was JUST enough to cap off the first adventure of the campaign. That was satisfying, but I'd like to get back to it with the group when able.

TV Show? I'll get flack for this because its very divisive, but I really liked the ending for How I Met Your Mother

Song? Sorry, I don't have an answer for this one! My mind focuses on the hook/beginning of the song more than the ending, so it's not something I've thought about before.

Movie? I've always been a big fan of Donnie Darko and love how that movie ended.
Jan 30, 2022 10:45 pm
In hindsight that may be a bad question, most songs just fade out.
Jan 30, 2022 11:27 pm
Quote:
In hindsight that may be a bad question, most songs just fade out.
But it is so satisfying when the end of one song leads or bleeds into the next. I love it when artists do it. Such as:
-Billie Eilish's bury a friend -> ilomilo
-Janelle Monae's Violet Stars Happy Hunting -> Many Moons, and Dance or Die -> Faster (in fact now that I think of it, a lot of Janelle Monae's do lol)
-Gorillaz' Dirty Days -> Feel Good Inc
-Pretty sure this happens on every Panic! at the Disco album

Those are just a couple I remember off the top of my head
Last edited January 30, 2022 11:27 pm
Jan 31, 2022 6:26 pm
What unusual item do you often have in pocket?

What phrase or idiom is particular to you?

If you were born in medieval times, what would your job have been?
Jan 31, 2022 9:07 pm
What's your favorite nation in Golarion that you haven't yet gotten to explore?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.