Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Aug 15, 2016 11:48 am
Phew, glad you left some of the undead horde for me.
Is there a count for the number of skellingtons or is it just like "a whole bunch"?
Can I try and better my init roll?
Last edited August 15, 2016 11:49 am

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

Aug 15, 2016 4:34 pm
You don't have an accurate skelecount yet. They keep pouring into the hall. I'll take that Initiative roll, you'll be Tier 1 and can take your action now.

Leth shoots the skull right off one of the oncoming skeletons, but like the one Shamush struck, this isn't sufficient to discombobulate it.

Felor is up.
Aug 15, 2016 11:58 pm
A shiver runs up Felor's neck as he sees the undead horrors piling into the room, before his resolve to defeat the menace kicks in.
Stepping forward alongside Zangua, Felor hold up his shield, painted with Fjorgyn's emblem - a mighty mountain peak, unshakeable and immovable.
"I call upon the mighty Fjorgyn! Let her light repulse these beings of false life! Let their evil be gone from this place!" This pronouncement is followed by something in Dwarven*.

Cast Turn Undead.
*If you know Dwarvern, you hear it as "Fjorgyn, aid your humble servants in our time of need!"
Last edited August 15, 2016 11:58 pm
Aug 16, 2016 4:31 pm
The skeletons are gonna make their saving throws vs Turn Undead in groups...

Edit: In the face of Fjorgyn's holy power, the skeletons' charge turns to chaos. The vanguard turns and tries to flee back down the hall while the skeletons behind them continue pushing forward, creating a bottleneck situation at the end of the hall. You hear bones snap and crunch as the skeletons struggle against each other. The xylophone starts up again, pounding out a rather frantic rhythm. Pressing the advantage, Zora swings her bone spear like a club at the back of the skeleton Shamush left headless.

Edit 2: Zora, sadly, whiffs that one. With the skeleton vanguard Turned and in retreat, Vad is up.

Rolls

Skeleton Group A Save vs Turn Undead - (1d20-1)

(10) - 1 = 9

Skeleton Group B Save vs Turn Undead - (1d20-1)

(15) - 1 = 14

Skeleton Group C Save vs Turn Undead - (1d20-1)

(8) - 1 = 7

Zora bone spear attack vs headless skeleton - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Aug 16, 2016 9:15 pm
Not wanting to waste any real power on a bunch of retreating enemies lazily points a finger in their general direction, says a few words, and fires of a ray of frost.

Rolls

Ranged Spell Attack (Ray of Frost) - (1d20+6, 1d8)

1d20+6 : (10) + 6 = 16

1d8 : (2) = 2

Aug 17, 2016 1:58 pm
OOC:
The xylophone is controlling the skeletons? ((is it a... necrodancer??))
Also, I wonder if the ribcage/the portrait is the weak point on these guys?
Aug 18, 2016 4:53 pm
I think you are right about the portrait. I initially assumed the reference to the xylophone was a Looney Tunes-ish audio metaphor for bones rattling, but you are saying we literally hear a xylophone, Octo?

Mordred steps in front of Zora and fans his fingers towards the doorway. He casts Burning Hands at as many of the jumbled skeletons as possible and attempts to get a glimpse - through the flames - at their accompanist.
Quote:
Each creature in a 15-foot cone must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 3d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

The fire ignites any flammable objects in the area that aren’t being worn or carried.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Aug 19, 2016 4:11 pm
New round has started. Yes, you literally hear a xylophone. Whoever is playing it is not visible through the massed skeletons at the end of the hall.

The rime that freezes on the skeletons by Vad's hand is instantly melted off by Mordred's Burning Hands.

Edit: Bones sizzle and crack and portrait bibs go up in flames as Mordred's spell courses over the jumbled cluster of undead. But the strange percussive music keeps playing, and even as several more skeletons lose their animating spirit and become stilled, the ones unaffected by Felor's Turning start to crawl over their burned and broken comrades to enter the hallway.

There are six skeletons entering combat range in the hallway. Leth, Shamush, and Zangua are up.

Rolls

Skeleton group A saving throw - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Skeleton group B saving throw - (1d20+2)

(13) + 2 = 15

Damage to affected skeletons - (3d6)

(223) = 7

New skeleton group initiative - (1d20+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Aug 19, 2016 5:05 pm
"Don't forget, south is where we have to go," grumbles Zangua. He presses further into the hallway to gain some ground and meet the attack. Zangua slashes with his polearm and follows with a sweep of the blunt end. He also keeps an eye for any skeleton that enters within 10 feet.
OOC:
I'll include the opportunity attack roll reaction here, but ignore if no opponent qualifies

Rolls

Regular attack, Damage - (1d20+7, 1d10+5)

1d20+7 : (1) + 7 = 8

1d10+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

Bonus attack with blunt end, Damage - (1d20+7, 1d4+5)

1d20+7 : (18) + 7 = 25

1d4+5 : (1) + 5 = 6

Opportunity attack reaction, Damage - (1d20+7, 1d10+5)

1d20+7 : (16) + 7 = 23

1d10+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

Aug 19, 2016 6:00 pm
Emboldened now the skeletons were recoiling from Fjorgyn's majesty, Felor presses forwards alongside Zangua. As he moves he swiftly slings his spear onto his back and pulls the small warhammer from his belt, binging it up to strike at the closest abomination.

Move up alongside Zangua, light hammer attack on nearest skeleton, aiming at the chest if possible.

Rolls

Hammer attack - (1d20+4)

(10) + 4 = 14

Hammer damage (bludgeoning) - (1d4+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Aug 19, 2016 10:55 pm
OOC:
I think we were instructed to head south *until* we reach the crypt, right? I interpreted that to mean that once we reached the crypt, we didn't necessarily have to go south any more, as the exit could be anywhere in the crypt. I might have misunderstood that though.
Satisfied that his arrow did indeed affect the skeleton, even if it didn't outright drop it, Leth decides to keep up the archery for the time being, and shoots another arrow at the skeleton closest to him, all the while maintaining a safe distance from the undead horde.
Last edited August 19, 2016 10:56 pm

Rolls

arrow'd - (1d20+7, 1d8+4)

1d20+7 : (12) + 7 = 19

1d8+4 : (7) + 4 = 11

Aug 19, 2016 11:17 pm
Smamush snorts with frustration as his blow didn't land with the same satisfying feeling as it normally does against meatier foes. He stomps forward and swings his club again, his teeth gritted, his eyes bulging.

Rolls

Skeleton attack - (1d20+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Skeleton damage - (1d8+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Aug 23, 2016 4:29 pm
Zangua swings and misses but smashes clean through one oncoming skeleton's ribcage and batters its spine in half with the thrust from the butt end of the catchpole. Felor steps up next to him and breaks a few ribs on another, causing it to stagger back. Leth finishes this one off with a well-aimed arrow to the pelvis, splitting it such that the skeleton collapses in a heap. Shamush, sadly, fails to connect with his attack.

Zora hangs back, not wanting to crowd Zangua and his polearm in the hallway. "There's too many of them!" she says.

The four skeletons still remaining from the second wave converge on Zangua, Felor, and Shamush.

Edit: The skeleton's stone weapons find no purchase on Zangua or Shamush, but Felor is struck in the arm by one of the rough stone blades, leaving him with a long but shallow cut.

Edit 2: Skeleton count: 12 destroyed, 3 damaged, still 20+ in the room past the hallway.

Vad is up.

Rolls

Skeleton 2A attack vs Zangua - (1d20+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Skeleton 2B attack vs Zangua - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Skeleton 2C attack vs Felor - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

Skeleton 2D attack vs Shamush - (1d20+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Skeleton stone sword damage to Felor - (1d6+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Aug 23, 2016 4:52 pm
Could we get through the hallway into the other room, or is it too crowded? Would we be facing attacks of opportunity from all 20 skeletons if we did so? Would Stealth help in any way?
Aug 23, 2016 5:04 pm
I'm...not seeing how you could Stealth this one. Shoving your way into the main room would subject you to opportunity attacks from just the four skeletons still standing in the hallway.
Aug 23, 2016 10:24 pm
Seeing four of the skeletons converge on some of his friends, Vad raises his right hand and points four fingers forward while tucking his thumb underneath his palm. From each finger a magical dart appears and streaks towards the attackers.
OOC:
Magic missile, one for each of the four skeletons.

Rolls

Damage - (1d4+1, 1d4+1, 1d4+1, 1d4+1)

1d4+1 : (2) + 1 = 3

1d4+1 : (4) + 1 = 5

1d4+1 : (4) + 1 = 5

1d4+1 : (1) + 1 = 2

Wild Magic - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Aug 23, 2016 10:41 pm
Each of the four skeletons is struck by a numinous dart, sending bone chips flying. One of them loses its portrait bib to a dead-center strike. But only one of the four is felled by the magic attack.

Pong-PONG! Pong-PONG! PONGPONGPONG goes the xylophone. Six more skeletons rush into the hallway.

New round. Mordred, Leth, Shamush, and Zangua are up.

Rolls

Skeleton third wave initiative - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Aug 23, 2016 11:13 pm
"Maybe we can't advance," says Zangua, "but we can at least keep them from surrounding us. Try and keep 'em in the hallway!" He unholsters his hand crossbow and tosses it to those in the back for anyone to pick up and use, then returns his attention to slashing and smashing with the catchpole. Zangua keeps up a modest pace, saving his energy for the long haul.

Rolls

Catchpole vs Skeleton, slashing damage - (1d20+7, 1d10+5)

1d20+7 : (1) + 7 = 8

1d10+5 : (6) + 5 = 11

Bonus attack vs Skeleton, bludgeoning damage - (1d20+7, 1d4+5)

1d20+7 : (9) + 7 = 16

1d4+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

Aug 23, 2016 11:16 pm
"I'm going to try and burn them again, but we need to get into that room to stop the music. You three try and muscle your way through if I manage to clear them out." Mordred calls to Zangua, Shamush and Leth as he lets another round of Burning Hands loose at the 9 (?) skeletons in the hallway.
Aug 23, 2016 11:22 pm
There are 9, bottlenecked obvs and not all reachable by melee yet...

Zangua clips his catchpole on the ceiling of the hallway, botching his first swing, but once again the less refined butt-end smash does the trick, sending another skeleton to the floor in pieces.

Mordred casts sheets of flame into the mouth of the hallway for a second time...

Edit: The damaged skeletons succumb to the flames, clattering to the floor as their burning bones hiss and crack. The others, though charred and smoldering, endure.

Leth and Shamush are up.

Rolls

Skeleton group B saving throw - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Skeleton group C saving throw - (1d20+2)

(15) + 2 = 17

Damage to affected skeletons - (3d6)

(242) = 8

load next

Thread locked