Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Sep 22, 2016 7:27 pm
Zangua spends some time looking around the basement, in case there is something out of the ordinary.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Sep 22, 2016 7:35 pm
Seeing that they are in no immediate danger, Leth puts away the arrow he had drawn and relaxes a bit.

"Say..." He muses out loud. "We don't know where this is going to lead out at, do we? Could very well be some temple or maybe even a personal family crypt... we're bound to run into somebody once we start nearing the top. What are we gonna tell them?"
Sep 22, 2016 7:35 pm
Mordred opens the door slowly, continuing the stealthy behavior he engaged in going up the stairs and thus prolonging the effect of that nat 20, he hopes.
Sep 22, 2016 7:39 pm
Zangua just sees lots of household junk -- furniture, containers, tools, clothing, fabrics. There's a sour, musty smell to it all.

As soon as Mordred begins to open the door at the top of the stairs, somebody screams: a loud, brief shriek. Then, footsteps rapidly pounding as somebody starts running, yelling "AUNTIE! AUNTIE! Graverobbers! I TOLD you!"
Sep 22, 2016 7:41 pm
OOC:
Didn't speak soon enough... lol
"...Just like that." Leth finishes his thought as the voice runs off.
"We better come up with our explanation fast."
Sep 22, 2016 7:50 pm
Zangua starts heading up the stairs. "We came in through the tunnels, which they're welcome to investigate."
Sep 22, 2016 7:50 pm
You hear more footsteps and more yelling, but you can't quite make out what's being said. You hear a crash, as though somebody just knocked over a small table with something breakable on it.
Sep 23, 2016 11:11 am
"I think it best if the demon-man hangs back while you lot do the talking." Mordred sheepishly goes back down to the basement and replaces the bar on the door they entered from.
Sep 23, 2016 3:15 pm
Felor nods at Mordred's suggestion, and lays his helmet, spear, and shield on the ground before approaching the door at the top of the stairs.
Gently starting to push it open, he calls out "Friends! We mean no harm! We are just lost travellers seeking to leave these tombs!"

Slowly push the door open, then stand there hands slightly raised in an "I'm an unarmed friendly guy" gesture.
Sep 23, 2016 4:09 pm
Zangua hangs back; he's not about to give up his equipment, much less leave themselves unprepared for a possible attack. "Find out if we're in Hazard, too."
Sep 23, 2016 4:55 pm
Vad will keeps his eyes forward, ready to jump to Felor's aid should something go wrong.
Sep 23, 2016 5:09 pm
So if we need to use pseudonyms while in Hazard, I call Rosco P. Coltrane.
Sep 23, 2016 5:48 pm
Felor sees the spearpoint rounding the corner to his left just in time to lunge out of its way as its wielder skids to a stop in front of him.

Holding the ancient bronze weapon is an old woman, her gray hair pinned up in a messy approximation of a high court style and wearing a gauzy gray dress. A woman of about forty, similarly coiffed and dressed, follows behind her, a look of abject terror on her face, tightly gripping a tarnished silver candelabra in both hands.

"Back!" the old woman snarls. "The guards are already on their way! If you lay a hand on us you'll be skinned and quartered and fed to dogs! Now lay down what you stole and get OUT of this house and I'll CONSIDER telling them to be lenient on you!"

"PLEASE DON'T KILL US!" the younger woman screams.
Sep 23, 2016 5:54 pm
Zangua mutters to Mordred and Zora, "They should get the guards, and tell 'em there's tunnels in their tombs."
Sep 26, 2016 4:47 am
Leth raises his hands slowly and speaks as calmly as possible.

"I swear to you, we haven't stolen anything. We accidentally found our way into the tomb from the tunnels - the badgerways, if you've heard of that - in what we thought was just a shortcut to Hazard. We mean you no harm; we simply want to get back up to the outside world and the light of day."
OOC:
edit: of all the times to roll crap...
Last edited September 26, 2016 4:48 am

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+1)

(7) + 1 = 8

Sep 26, 2016 4:05 pm
"You can tell a thief by the lies he tells!" the old woman snaps, jabbing the air in front of Leth with her spear. "You heard me. Lay it all down. Then out with you. The guards will be here any moment! You don't want them to see you menacing two vulnerable ladies! They will cut you down where you stand!"
Sep 26, 2016 4:28 pm
Zangua steps forward and loosens the strings of his coin purse. He lets it drop to the ground and resonate with the thud of 90 copper. "We ain't stole nothing but the way here. If you're looking for a toll, this should cover all of us."

He starts walking past, slowing enough to ask, "By the way, which of you likes to play the xylophone?"
Sep 26, 2016 5:07 pm
The old woman presses her spearpoint into Zangua's side as he steps past, but Zangua has little concern of her piercing his armor. After he asks his question, the younger woman gasps. "The family dance!" The old woman makes a shushing sound.

"That's it, out you go. And the rest of you. Drop what you stole and follow this one out."
Sep 26, 2016 5:53 pm
Mordred, hooded and staying in the shadows as best as possible, attempts to trick the women into explaining more. "Yes, we know all about the family dance. That's why we were in the tunnels at all. We want to help."

Rolls

Deception - (1d20+6)

(13) + 6 = 19

Sep 26, 2016 6:01 pm
The young woman covers her mouth and exclaims softly: "They know...!"

The old woman squints. "He says you wandered in here by accident," she says, pointing the spear at Leth. "And you say you're here to help. And I say you're graverobbers!"

"Auntie, if they saw...if they tell the guards..."

The old woman's eyes dart back and forth. She lowers the spear slightly. "All of you just get out, begone! Might be if you hurry the guard won't catch you. Small price to pay if it gets you out of my sight faster. Go on, go!" She waves her arm to the left, presumably in the direction of the nearest exit.
load next

Thread locked