Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Sep 26, 2016 6:43 pm
"The guards don't have to know anything. It is true that we ended up in your basement by accident, and yet it is also true that we would like to help. We are here in Hazard to clear a man's name, and we need to learn about the city quickly and quietly, if we can. Mayhaps we can help you with the... unnatural things we saw in the tombs, if you can help us learn what we need to know about Hazard, and maybe help us move around the city without attracting attention." Mordred takes out the bib he took from one of the skeletons without unfolding it and looks first at it, and then at the young woman. "My name is Rosco. What's yours?"
Sep 26, 2016 6:57 pm
The younger woman's eyes grow wide as she sees the folded cloth.

"What is that?" the old woman snaps. "What do you have there?"
Sep 26, 2016 7:05 pm
As the women are distracted, Zangua continues out to scout the rooms beyond. He looks for the exit, and also to see if the guards really are on their way.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Sep 26, 2016 7:17 pm
Around the corner, Zangua sees an open doorway and a staircase on the outer wall, leading up to the second floor of the house. The walls are dirty and the house has a musty, sour smell, as though it hasn't been cleaned properly in a very long time. The pale light coming in through the small high windows and the nearby birdsong suggests it's very early in the morning. Zangua doesn't hear any guards or anything.
Sep 26, 2016 7:29 pm
"What? This? Just a bit of fabric we found in the tombs." Mordred holds up the cloth, still keeping it folded.

Should I reveal what it is? I'm thinking I can Sleight-of-Hand replace it with another rag if we want to keep the bib a secret. Their reaction leads me to believe it is dangerous, so maybe we should come clean so we can destroy it ASAP if needs be.
Sep 26, 2016 7:37 pm
Mordred's statement, even without the reveal, seems to be sufficient to confirm whatever suspicions the two women had about the piece of fabric. "OH, NO! WHO DID YOU TAKE IT FROM!? WHO!?" the younger woman screams, as the old woman starts trying to beat Mordred about the head with the spear.

"Fiends! Despoilers!" she yells. "I knew it! I knew it!"

Rolls

Old woman spear-swatting attack vs Mordred - (1d20-2)

(1) - 2 = -1

Sep 26, 2016 7:50 pm
Hmm. That didn't work out so great, guys. I think it's naptime for our friends.

Mordred casts Sleep on the two women.

Rolls

Sleep (number of hit points that can be put to sleep) - (5d8)

(84536) = 26

Sep 26, 2016 8:03 pm
In perfect synchronicity, the two womens' eyes roll back in their heads and they let out sighing exhalations as magical sleep overtakes them and they slump to the floor.

"We should get out of here," Zora suggests.
Sep 26, 2016 8:13 pm
OOC:
Hmm yep I would have just taken the opportunity to leave when they gave it to us lol
"I wholeheartedly agree... that probably could not have gone much worse." Leth says in response to Zora's suggestion. "Could still get worse, if we run into guards." He then begins to move in the direction the older lady had earlier indicated as a possible exit.
Sep 26, 2016 8:22 pm
The doorway ahead leads to a large room with a hearth, a small table, and two ornate carved chairs with disintegrating cushions. There are quite a lot of dirty plates, empty jugs and bowls, and even discarded bones and uneaten food piled up in the corners of this room, and the hearth is overflowing with ash. There are open doorways straight ahead and to the left.
Sep 26, 2016 10:17 pm
Zangua begins to exit the home, pausing only briefly to check what traffic may be outside at this early hour.
Sep 26, 2016 10:41 pm
Left from the hearth hall is a foyer from which a southward-facing set of large double doors would appear to be the obvious way out. There's quite a bit of mud and old leaves on the floor of this foyer, Garden and household tools lean against the wall and lie on the floor, and next to a small table that has fallen over are the shards of a painted vase and the dead flowers it contained. There are also exits to the north and east.

Zangua cracks the double doors and peers out. He sees a gated garden full of weeds, a broad avenue, and many other tall, expensive-looking townhouses. There are gardeners pruning a fruit tree in front of one home, and an armed doorman slumped by the porch columns of another. None of these people seem to be alert to anything going on at the house of the Zapanim.
Sep 27, 2016 11:21 am
Mordred is intrigued by the state of the home. Why so unkempt? He uses his burglary training to case the house briefly to try and learn anything he can about the two women.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Insight (?) - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Sep 27, 2016 2:08 pm
Shamush immediately homes in on the piles of food and starts rooting through them for something non-fungal and nominally edible. He rubs his nose, muttering, "Shit, I can't wait to taste some sunlight. Hell, and a bath, to boot! I can take a little scum, but I think I hear the layers of dirt cracking every time I move a limb." He glances back at the others and asks casually, "This place might have some good loot, huh? Or should we just go?"

How many days were we underground, anyhow? Just curious.
Sep 27, 2016 3:59 pm
Mordred surmises that these two women live alone, without even servants, and have maintained this reclusive lifestyle for quite some time.

Shamush pokes around for edibles. The freshest food seems to be what's still left on the table: half a goblet of vinegary-smelling wine, an apple with a single bite out of it, a heel of stale bread, and two bowls of porridge (one mostly finished, one apparently untouched).

You've all lost track of time somewhat, but you spent around five days in the Squalid Sett waiting for an audience with the Queen, and a little over a full day of travel from there to the crypts.
Sep 27, 2016 4:26 pm
Any sense of why they were doing the Hazard version of Grey Gardens? Could it be anything to do with the tombs? Anyone have ideas? As the party leaves, Mordred makes a note of the address/location so he can possibly return at some point.

And just as a sort of general reminder, at this point there is no time pressure on the party, right? I'm so used to chasing Zora that I feel like we have to keep moving, but there is nothing stopping us from doing a sidequest or two at this point, is there? I'm sure Zora is eager to meet her mother, but other than the general sense that the Six-Prongers are after us, we are not up against a deadline as far as I can remember. Let me know if that's not correct, Octo.
Sep 27, 2016 5:26 pm
There is no time pressure that you know of except for the fact that the 6PC is still after Zora, although they've probably lost the trail now that The Implacable is out of commission. However, it's reasonable to assume that they anticipated her going to Hazard.
Sep 27, 2016 5:35 pm
Gotcha. That said, I'm inclined to attempt some to get some Hazardians on our side - by clearing rats out of their basement, or fetching their grandfathers' sword from bandits, or whatever - if the opportunity arises. As someone who is used to having the silent power of the Guild behind him, Mordred dislikes the idea of going up against whatever authorities or eldritch forces are next without a solid plan and a safehouse to fall back to.
Last edited September 27, 2016 5:36 pm
Sep 27, 2016 5:47 pm
Zora looks out the door, nods, ducks back in. "Okay, I have a rough idea where we are. North of the river, east side. We're not far from where we need to go. The West Bload Trading Company headquarters is right by the Shoulder Bridge. She's got a couple houses uptown, but that's pretty much where she lives." You can hear the eyeroll in her voice. "Let's go before Auntie Spears wakes up."
Sep 27, 2016 6:04 pm
Zangua nods, and heads out the door.
load next

Thread locked