Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Oct 5, 2016 12:21 am
Zangua folds his arms across his chest, staring down the obvious loiterer.

Rolls

Intimidation - (1d20+3)

(11) + 3 = 14

Oct 5, 2016 3:05 pm
"With all respect, Martjan, there is a secret here. Who belongs to the pointy hat crew? We do not know. And without that knowledge, we cannot know who to trust - beyond those in this room, I would suggest. Can you trust the rulers of Hazard with this? Might some of them be members of the pointy hat crew? More immediately, would the pointy hat crew think that this office might have been Zee's destination - or could they have been watching this office, or do they have access to magics that might allow them to locate her here? Perhaps the first question we need to answer is if we are safe. Because -" Domarc smiles "- if I were telling this as a story, this would be a choice moment to have the villains attack."
OOC:
I'm guessing that the offices of the WBTC are protected against scrying, but who knows?
Oct 5, 2016 4:30 pm
"Sir, I can tell you that they have access to magics far beyond anything I have ever seen or heard of. They have tracked Zee across half of Bload, and if they do not know that we are in this office with you now, it would be a shock to me.

Madam, with respect, I think you should tell us exactly what you know of the Sphere and any ideas you may have on how we can get it back to its rightful place before the Six-Pronged Crown can get their hands on it."

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

Oct 5, 2016 4:34 pm
The man smiles placidly back at Zangua.

Domarc is not privy to the details of the WBTC's scryersecurity measures.

Martjan side-eyes Domarc. "You're right. And that's why I think that before we involve anyone else in this, we ought to find out exactly why anyone might go to such lengths to get their hands on the Sphere. Sky-iron isn't cheap, but I don't believe they're after it for the melt value." She turns to Zora. "Your father and I had a shared interest in treasure hunting. We did a lot of research into legends of old artifacts together. And there were always stories that the Iron Sphere was more than it appeared to be. There was a master elementalist, a feyblood, what the northerners call 'elves.' We found references to him in records from when the Sphere was kept as a trophy in Hazard. The records were circumspect...but if you were inclined to read between the lines, as we were...there were hints that he discovered something about it. That he had solved the mystery of the Sphere, somehow. And not long after that, the Sphere was returned to Sthombo, and the elementalist left Hazard on a ship called...cursed gods, what was it called? The Haferan...no, the Harikan Squall. We talked about trying to track him down. Those elvenkind, they live near to forever, you know. Unless he met some violent end, he's still alive. But that was just one of many big plans we never followed through on. The manifest of the Harikan Squall was lost, and we didn't know where to look for him."
Oct 5, 2016 5:38 pm
"There would seem to be a few priorities to attend to, then," Domarc says, ticking them off on his fingers. "Ensuring Zee is safe, given the interest of the pointy hats in her. Either securing the Sphere itself or ensuring your safety, Martjan, or at the least, the safety of the knowledge you hold on the location of the Sphere. Understanding the nature of the Sphere by tracking down this elven elementalist. And lastly, foiling the plot of the spiky headgear society and saving the world. Or this corner of it. Have I missed anything?"

He looks around the room at everyone. "I feel I should let you know that this is not the normal agenda of a business meeting at West Bload Trading. But it is a deal more exciting."
Last edited October 5, 2016 5:38 pm
Oct 5, 2016 6:33 pm
Quote:
The manifest of the Harikan Squall was lost, and we didn't know where to look for him.
The thing! She said the thing!

Leth pushes himself off the wall and steps forward to speak."That does seem to be the short of it, yes. As for your first point..." He says in response to Dormac's summation, and then turns to Zora.
"I think I probably speak for all of us when I say we're willing to see this through with you to the end. Edvers deserves that much. Besides, if the... pointy hat crew..." he says glancing at Dormarc with a trace of a smile, "Truly are bent on world domination, well... I don't know about you all, but personally, I would rather they didn't accomplish their goal", He says wryly to the rest of the group, before turning his attention back to Zora. "The question is, would you be safer coming with us or staying here? We are willing and able to protect you, but our quest will certainly be dangerous in it's own right, and may even lead us to direct interaction with our enemies. Coming with us may not necessarily be safer than not. We should also consider this prophecy that is supposedly about you - it may be worth trying to learn more about it before we put you in any more danger."

He then turns to Martjan. "Secondly, it seems apparent now that you yourself may be in danger, as Dormac suggests. You could come with us, if you don't have someplace safe to hide out until this is over, but I feel that either way it would be wise to tell us as much as you can about the location of the sphere as soon as you feel that it is safe to do so. Given how effectively our pursuers have managed to keep track of us thus far, it certainly seems as though the walls themselves have ears and conspire against us."
Oct 5, 2016 6:37 pm
It's like when they say the name of the movie in the movie!

But it is a deal more exciting.

"You have no idea how exciting it has been, sir. None of us got into this business planning for such a grand adventure, but Zee has always had that effect on the people around her." He winks playfully at his old friend. "In addition to the location of the sphere, as Leth says, we must know who in Hazard would know anything about this elf or the ship he departed on? Or about the comings and goings of ships in general? Even if we can't find the manifest, maybe someone remembers something of him."
Oct 5, 2016 8:23 pm
"I don't really want to stay here," Zora says. "But also I'm kind of tired of running for my life."

"I have friends -- friends I would trust with my own life, who have the means to keep you safe -- that you could stay with," Martjan says gently. "And if you have a role to play in preventing some catastrophe from occurring -- and for now, I think we'd best act on the assumption that you might -- then your safety is of paramount importance."

Zora glances at Mordred, her expression silently asking: what do you think?

"Now, the elf, the ship...let me try to remember," Martjan says, leaning back in her chair. "Pafthinel. That was his name. He left Hazard about...a hundred and fifty years ago, when the House of Mahael had control of the river. Their descendants were all too happy to sell the old family business records for a little silver, so it was easy enough to trace Pafthinel's route from Hazard to Utwar, where he set off on the Harikan Squall. That much was common knowledge in our circles. But that ship was known to trade all along the coasts from Hafer, into Mez, and all the way up to Jerma, and nobody knows where he disembarked. The port of Utwar's copy of the manifest was probably destroyed in the Nine-Day Fire, and the ship itself was lost somewhere in the Quartz Sea about ten years after the voyage that carried Pafthinel. So. A bit of a dead end, there. Pafthinel was initially brought to Hazard to serve the House of Orjo, but their fortunes have faded as well. Their lineage might well be extinct for all I know."

~meanwhile, downstairs~

The smiling man turns away from Zangua and steps out of the queue. He walks out of the lobby, whistling a tune that sounds vaguely familiar.
Oct 5, 2016 9:20 pm
Zangua tries to remember where he heard that song before.

Rolls

Intelligence? - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Oct 6, 2016 12:30 am
OOC:
I'm afeared we might have had a magically eavesdropping friend downstairs...
Last edited October 6, 2016 12:31 am
Oct 6, 2016 9:11 am
OOC:
Kind of lost track whether Felor is upstairs with Mordred & co or downstairs with Zangua.
Oct 6, 2016 2:57 pm
OOC:
I think Zangua and Shamush stayed downstairs and everyone else came up?
Oct 6, 2016 3:44 pm
Zangua recognizes the melody as a Gurmari drinking song, but can't recall the words.

nubs is correct; only Zangua and Shamush are downstairs
Oct 6, 2016 4:41 pm
Pafthinel was initially brought to Hazard to serve the House of Orjo, but their fortunes have faded as well

"Was Pafthinel in their employ when he studied the Sphere? Might he have left notes behind?"
Oct 6, 2016 4:56 pm
Martjan nods. "He was. If he kept notes, he may have taken them with him, but if any were left behind...well, I can't imagine how we'd track those down. That House was at the height of its power in those days, three Innocents in a row were Orjo children. But when the older generation died off and their heirs took over, everything fell apart rather quickly. The last candidate they submitted for Innocentship failed the trials and fled Hazard. The rival factions within the House started pointing fingers and assassinating each other. Their properties were sold off. So it goes. You can hardly find a trace of them, now."
Oct 6, 2016 5:32 pm
"And the Squall wouldn't have stopped anywhere else on Bload during its voyage? Orsen, perhaps on its way to the mainland?"
Oct 6, 2016 5:40 pm
"Perhaps. Or Sood. Or Dule. We don't know."
Oct 6, 2016 5:46 pm
"Do you know of any other elves living in Hazard now? Perhaps they would remember something or even remain in contact with this Pafnuty or whatever his name was."
Oct 6, 2016 5:46 pm
That new avatar is... distressingly veiny, Octo.
Oct 6, 2016 5:55 pm
Martjan looks thoughtful for a moment. "The Lady Grekta dra Aia, a very dear friend of mine, employs a bodyguard whose father was a feyblood from Engol. But I can count on one hand the number of pure feybloods I have seen in my life, and I consider my self well-traveled. The House of Tragga hosted a small delegation of them a few years back, but they did not stay in the city for long."

Edit: rocksteady, what good is a DM who does not keep their players in distress in as many ways as possible?
load next

Thread locked