Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Oct 10, 2016 4:20 pm
"Ah, yes," the clerk says, shrinking away from Zangua. "I take your point...however...I lack the authority to --"

"See here!" one of the customers says, stepping forward. He is tall, with a squarish head and a long gray mustache. "You can't go intimidating this man in his place of employ. I know not what savage hill-town you hail from, but in this city the conduction of business is an honored thing. You'll not detain this man from his duties, or you'll answer to me." He crosses his arms, planting himself in between Zangua and the clerk.

At this moment, the clerk behind the desk finds what he was fumbling for, and begins tugging a cord. You hear the muffled sound of a bell ringing somewhere.

~meanwhile, upstairs~

Jermal ports, to Felor's best recollection, tend to be informally-run; it seems unlikely to him that any of the port towns he's familiar with would keep a copy of a ship's manifest for very long, if they took it at all.

Of elves, though, he knows more than a little. More than once Marn took him to study herblore from the small community of elves at Wichee Copse, and while he had never been there, he had heard stories of the great hidden elf-cities deep in the fir and pine forests of the Upper Gultor, said to be the largest and oldest elven nation west of the Ochlu Mountains.

Everybody in the meeting room hears a bell ringing somewhere nearby. Martjan frowns. "Domarc. Go see what's the matter."
Oct 10, 2016 4:41 pm
Domarc nods and gets up from the table. "Probably just some wine merchant out of sorts about the changes with the fees from the vintners guild, or the like. Don't make any big decisions about the fate of the world without me." He heads out of the room and goes downstairs.
Oct 10, 2016 4:46 pm
"Then honor the business taking place upstairs," retorts Zangua, looking up at the interposing man yet not budging from his place. "They's not to be disturbed until their meeting is done."
Oct 10, 2016 4:58 pm
Domarc goes downstairs to find what looks to be an awkward standoff between Zangua, the clerk Boldo Gagrippa, and the Speaker of the Dyemakers' Guild, whose name Domarc can't quite recall. Shamush is standing threateningly over the wine-seller Otomonis Firzal. All the other clerks and customers have stopped what they're doing to watch, and Ozen Carp is behind the desk near the cord that rings the emergency bell, trying to catch your eye with a pained look on his face.

Domarc cannot help but wonder what in the Nine Hells made everything go sideways so quickly.
Oct 10, 2016 5:25 pm
"Gentlemen," Domarc says, with a grin. "You all look as if there is a trade war about to begin, and surely it is too early in the morning for such a thing. Otominis, come and chat with me for a moment, you look white as a sheet. And I beg the indulgence of the Dyemakers for a moment longer. The morning has been a busy one, and new opportunities abound, which has resulted in the morning meeting going long. But let's get back to work!"

Domarc tries to smooth things over.

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+8)

(19) + 8 = 27

Oct 10, 2016 5:41 pm
The wine-seller slinks out from under Shamush's looming form to stand next to Domarc. The Speaker uncrosses his arms and takes a step back. The customers seem to relax, and begin shuffling back into queue formation.

The front door opens and the smiling man walks back in. This time, he is accompanied by a very short man in an ice-blue hooded robe. They take their place at the end of the queue. The smiling man looks around the room, placidly beaming at one and all.
Oct 10, 2016 5:46 pm
Zangua leans over to Domarc and mutters in a low voice, "Who's the happy man and the blue guy?"
Last edited October 10, 2016 5:47 pm
Oct 10, 2016 5:54 pm
Domarc has never seen either of those two before.
Oct 10, 2016 7:46 pm
"I do not know them, but I presume they are trouble." says Domarc, also keeping his voice low. He assumes a stance like he is telling Zangua off for the scene earlier, shaking a finger and frowning at him. "But now we are on stage, so let us see if we can perhaps cause some misdirection."

"If you have business with our traders, the queue is over there," Domarc says, voice raised, pointing to the end of the line. "I don't care who you claim to know, I have never heard of them and they are not here! Now, join the line or else I bid you good day, sir!"

Domarc then turns to Otominis and begins to converse with him about his concern, while keeping an eye on the queue.

If opportunity permits, Domarc will subtly cast Message to Martjan: "Possible trouble. Suggest you all get to safety."
OOC:
Message: You point your finger toward a creature within range
and whisper a message. The target (and only the target)
hears the message and can reply in a whisper that only
you can hear.
You can cast this spell through solid objects if you
are familiar with the target and know it is beyond
the barrier. Magical silence. 1 foot o f stone, 1 inch of
common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet o f wood
blocks the spell. The spell doesn’t have to follow a
straight line and can travel freely around corners or
through openings.
Rolls if needed, not sure what was best:

Rolls

Performance (for conversation with Zanuga) - (1d20+6)

(3) + 6 = 9

Deception (for conversation with Zanuga) - (1d20+8)

(4) + 8 = 12

Deception (for spell casting) - (1d20+8)

(18) + 8 = 26

Oct 10, 2016 8:02 pm
Martjan sits up very straight. "Something's going on. I believe we had best get you all out of here. Follow me." She gets up from her chair, heads out into the hall outside the meeting room, and whispers a Message response back to Domarc: "Meet us in the west storeroom as soon as you're able."
Oct 11, 2016 1:34 pm
As Mordred follows Martjan and the rest of the party out, he casts a quick Minor Illusion on the meeting room they were in - for the next minute, the sound of a general hubbub of voices will emanate from the room - and closes the door.
Oct 11, 2016 4:16 pm
Mordred follows Zora and the rest of the party as they head down the hall behind Martjan.

~meanwhile, downstairs~

There is a sudden clamor of footsteps on the floor above you. The smiling man glances up, then looks at his short friend in the blue robe and waggles his eyebrows.

The man in the blue robe reached up into his left sleeve and pulls out a live cricket. He utters a phrase: "Buuru bakaab," crushes the cricket between his fingers, and makes a flicking motion toward the base of the stairs where Zangua and the others are standing.

Edit: The timid clerk is the first to fall to the ground. Next, the wine-seller slumps back against the wall and slides down, unconscious. The Speaker's knees buckle and he drops, his eyes rolling back in his head, and the sharply-dressed young woman standing near him topples over on top of him. Domarc feels a soft, heavy, almost pleasant sensation overwhelm his brain, like the rush of the first big gulp of strong wine, but...gentler, irresistible...he closes his eyes, the room is so bright...everything feels so distant, so unimportant...

Even as Domarc collapses at the foot of the stairs, Zangua and Shamush feel the heaviness, the pull of arcane sleep trying to drag them down, but it's not enough to take them down.

The smiling man draws a curved, filigreed silver blade from a sheath concealed behind his cape at the small of his back. "You all should leave," he tells the customers and employees who were not within the range of the sleep spell. "This business day has ended, and you may not care to see the transactions that will now take place."

Zangua and Shamush, roll for initiative.

Rolls

Sleep spell affected HP - (9d8)

(582885174) = 48

Oct 11, 2016 5:15 pm
Zangua unslings the catchpole as he mentally marks his targets.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Oct 11, 2016 5:48 pm
Back upstairs, Martjan rounds a corner and turns down a hall leading to the west side of the building, then heads down a stairwell.

Those of you upstairs are free to take actions/ask questions, but you don't know what's happening in the lobby right now. Still need an initiative roll from Shamush.
Oct 11, 2016 5:58 pm
"What is happening, Madam va Locra? What are we running from?"
Oct 11, 2016 6:12 pm
"Some sort of incident in the lobby. Domarc...has his methods of subtle communication. From all you've said, I wouldn't be surprised if the Crown cult knew to watch for your arrival here." She shoots a look at Zora. "It might have been prudent to arrange for you to meet me at some neutral location."

"Arrange with who? You think I know anybody else in this stupid city?" Zora snaps back.

"Well, it's too late now," Martjan says, stopping at a landing to open a door. You follow her inside to a spacious, darkened room, full of shelves and boxes, with ladders and handcarts lined up neatly against the near wall. "There's a concealed door to the back alley. If there's danger, we should be able to give it the slip. We need only wait for the others to get here."
Oct 11, 2016 6:49 pm
Candy-colored clowns dance in Domarc's dreams.
Oct 11, 2016 6:55 pm
"I do not like the idea of leaving Zangua and Shamush alone if the incident in the lobby is anything like the incidents we have had so far. I'm going to check it out."

Mordred stealthily returns to the stair leading to the lobby and tries to get a look at whatever is happening.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Oct 11, 2016 6:57 pm
Quote:
Candy-colored clowns dance in Domarc's dreams.
Nightmares now too!
load next

Thread locked