Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Oct 12, 2016 4:15 am
"I'll back you up if you need it." Leth tells Mordred before he heads downstairs. "And If you think we should keep going, signal back to me and I'll relay that to the others." Leth approaches nears the top of the staircase, following Mordred with his eyes but trying his best to stay out of sight, waiting to see what Mordred reports.

Rolls

Stealth to remain out of sight of others downstairs - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

Oct 12, 2016 4:57 pm
Still need an Initiative roll from Shamush! Mordred, it will take you a full combat round to get back to the lobby.

Rolls

Smiling Man initiative - (1d20+2)

(12) + 2 = 14

Blue Robe initiative - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Oct 13, 2016 8:41 am
Seeing Mordred head downstairs to assist the others, Felor elects to stay with Martjan and Zora. As Leth also leaves, Felor places his hand on the man's shoulder and says "May Fjorgyn's might go with you".

Cast Guidance on Leth
Quote:
Casting Time: 1 action
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
You touch one willing creature. Once before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to one ability check of its choice. It can roll the die before or after making the ability check
Last edited October 13, 2016 8:42 am
Oct 14, 2016 4:56 pm
If Shamush doesn't show up soon, we'll just executively decide that his action this turn is waking up Domarc.

Sizing up the man with the catchpole as the most immediate threat, the smiling man closes in with a quick, dancelike crossover step and slashes at Zangua's throat with his silver blade. At the same time, the man in the blue robe raises his left hand in a contorted gesture and utters the word "vark!" A blue bolt of lightning arcs out from his hand toward Zangua.

Edit: Zangua ducks the lightning bolt, which sears into the wall behind him, but can't avoid taking a cut from the blade.

Edit 2: The "attack vs Shamush" references in the dice rolls below should be "vs Zangua," oops.

Zangua, you're up. Shamush, you around?

Rolls

Smiling Man knife attack vs Shamush - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Blue Robe witch bolt vs Shamush - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Knife damage to Zangua - (1d4+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Oct 14, 2016 4:59 pm
Note: Mordred and Leth, to get back to the lobby you have to go back up the stairs at the rear of the building, down hall you came through on the second floor, then back downstairs to the lobby. One more round of combat would take place before you arrive.
Oct 14, 2016 5:28 pm
Zangua growls, trying to shake off the aftereffects of the Sleep spell and the ionized air surrounding him. Magicians are dangerous, but this knife-wielder's too close to ignore. Zangua thrusts the catchpole out as the man closes in, then spins the other end around for a smash to the ribs. Completing the circle, the warrior brings the blades around again to finish the sweep.
OOC:
Assuming that I am able to use an opportunity attack when the man closes to within 10' despite losing initiative because of Polearm Master.

Rolls

Reaction Catchpole Opportunity Attack, Damage - (1d20+7, 1d10+5)

1d20+7 : (18) + 7 = 25

1d10+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

Attack Catchpole, Damage - (1d20+7, 1d10+5)

1d20+7 : (5) + 7 = 12

1d10+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

Bonus Attack Catchpole, Damage - (1d20+7, 1d4+5)

1d20+7 : (17) + 7 = 24

1d4+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

Oct 14, 2016 5:40 pm
Zangua slashes into the smiling man as he closes in, misses with the butt-end spin, but manages to get a good slice off after taking his own hit from the man's knife.

Edit: The man staggers back, clutching the deep cut in his side. His smile falters.

Last chance to jump in this round, Shamush! Anybody else doing anything? Vad still playing?

Rolls

Smiling man CON saving throw - (1d20+1)

(9) + 1 = 10

Catchpole poison damage - (2d4)

(31) = 4

Oct 19, 2016 4:04 pm
Shamush shakes Domarc until he wakes up.

Domarc, roll for initiative for the next round.
Oct 19, 2016 7:54 pm
Domarc startles awake.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(13) + 3 = 16

Oct 20, 2016 9:44 am
Waiting in the darkened storeroom, Felor turns to Martjan and asks "Is there somewhere safe we can go to when we leave? It seems this is no longer a good place to be."
Oct 20, 2016 3:54 pm
"I have a few people and places in mind," Martjan says. "The sooner we can get out of here, the better. I hope the others aren't much delayed."

~meanwhile, in the lobby~

Domarc rouses quickly, lurching to his feet. Though badly wounded, the smiling man immediately jerks his head in Domarc's direction. Seemingly intent on returning Domarc to an incapacitated state, he darts forward, bringing his knife up in an underhanded swing.

Edit: Domarc feels the bite of sharp silver in his abdomen as the smiling man stabs him. Domarc, you're up next, then blue robe, then Zangua.

Rolls

Smiling man knife attack vs Domarc - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Knife damage to Domarc - (1d4+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Oct 20, 2016 4:27 pm
Domarc briefly wonders if he's woken up or if this is just another nightmare. Not seeing any clowns, he decides that it isn't.

"Time for a different tune," he says and casts Dissonant Whispers on the smiling man.

Edit: Saving throw DC is 14

Current hp = 12
Dissonant Whispers - You whisper a discordant melody that only one creatureof your choice within range can hear, wracking it with terrible pain. The target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, it takes 3d6 psychic damage and must immediately use its reaction, if available, to move as far as its speed allows away from you. The creature doesn’t move into obviously dangerous ground, such as a fire or a pit. On a successful save, the target takes half as much damage and doesn’t have to move away. A deafened creature automatically succeeds on the save.
Last edited October 21, 2016 3:15 pm

Rolls

Discordant Whispers Damage - (3d6)

(254) = 11

Oct 21, 2016 3:44 pm
Shamush, roll for initiative!

Edit: durr, you already rolled damage

The smiling man stiffens, tilts his head as a distressed look comes over his face. His eyes roll back in his head and he makes a retching, coughing sound twice before tipping over to collapse on the ground.

The man in the blue robe does not hesitate, casting a second Witch Bolt at Zangua.

Edit 2: Burning electrical arcane fire sears into Zangua's chest and neck! He staggers back in agony.

Zangua, you're up. Shamush, you can take an action too, but roll for initiative for the next round! Mordred, you go ahead and roll initiative too, you're almost at the stairs...

Rolls

Smiling man WIS saving throw - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Smiling man psychic damage - (3d6)

(424) = 10

Blue robe witch bolt vs Zangua - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Witch bolt damage to Zangua - (2d12)

(67) = 13

Oct 21, 2016 4:16 pm
Enveloped in a leash of electricity, Zangua does what any wild animal would do and lashes out. He leaps over the not-smiling man, thrusting the blunt end of his polearm for Blue Robe's abdomen. Zangua follows that with a spin to bring the blade around the shoulder, and then surges forward to try and capture the wizard with the catchpole's bite.
OOC:
Assuming I'll need an Athletics check with the catchpole if I hit on the grapple attempt? I'd like to pull the magic-user prone afterward.

Just realized that I was referring to the Grappling rules when using a free hand. How does it work with the Catchpole?
Last edited October 21, 2016 4:18 pm

Rolls

Bonus attack, bludgeoning damage - (1d20+7, 1d4+5)

1d20+7 : (6) + 7 = 13

1d4+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

Slashing attack, damage - (1d20+7, 1d10+5)

1d20+7 : (6) + 7 = 13

1d10+5 : (9) + 5 = 14

Action surge: Grapple attack with Catchpole, Athletics check? - (1d20+7, 1d20+6)

1d20+7 : (19) + 7 = 26

1d20+6 : (5) + 6 = 11

Oct 21, 2016 4:27 pm
You attack at Disadvantage to use the grapple feature, so give me a second attack roll.

Edit: also plz note that the special attack still does blade damage
Oct 21, 2016 4:40 pm
Zangua's thrust to capture the wizard is awkward.

Rolls

Catchpole Grapple Attack Disadvantage, Damage - (1d20+7, 1d10+5)

1d20+7 : (3) + 7 = 10

1d10+5 : (9) + 5 = 14

Oct 21, 2016 5:04 pm
Zangua delivers a hell of a beating on the mage, smacking him hard across the head and slashing a deep cut into his side, but misses with the blade-grab.

It's Shamush's turn and I need initiative rolls from him and Mordred.
Oct 21, 2016 5:30 pm
Shamush jumps to Zangua's side, his club whipping out toward the mage.

Going to make the attack non-lethal, if it'd kill him. As I understand it, in 5e you just choose if a blow that would put an enemy below 0hp kills them or merely renders them unconscious.

Also using Reckless Attack, so I have advantage this round, and any attack roll against me also gets advantage.

Rolls

initiative - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

attack roll - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

attack roll advantage - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

damage - (1d8+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Oct 21, 2016 5:45 pm
Shamush clocks the mage upside the head. His knees buckle beneath the blue robe, and he drops with a thud.

Mordred springs down the stairs just in time to see the customers and workers asleep on the floor, Shamush standing over a lumpy form in a blue robe, Zangua and Domarc bleeding from stab wounds, a man in a cape bleeding out and frothing at the mouth before them, and the rest of the ordinary folk in the lobby either cowering in the corners or bolting for the door.
load next

Thread locked