Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Nov 14, 2016 5:27 pm
"Pure ice harvested from a mountain peak unconquered by men, proven to cure ailments of both the body and the spirit," the man in pink answers. "A single cube costs two silver, but for a proper holistic treatment you will require six cubes, which I would sell you for one gold piece."
Nov 14, 2016 5:29 pm
"How do you use it?" asks Zangua.
Nov 14, 2016 5:46 pm
"You may consume it. You may apply it directly to wounds or wens. The most optimal method, however, is to place a cube of ice on each of the six points of confluence of bodily energies and allow it to melt naturally."
Nov 14, 2016 6:07 pm
Zangua considers this. "So it melts? You can't keep it for when you need it?"
Nov 14, 2016 6:09 pm
"If the mountain peak is unconquered by men, how are you getting it?" Domarc asks, hearing the pitch. "It would seem to me one would have to conquer the peak to harvest this ice."

Rolls

Insight check - this seems fishy - (1d20+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Nov 14, 2016 6:11 pm
The man in pink favors Zangua with a patient smile. "It is ice, my friend. To become water again is a fate it cannot avoid."
Nov 14, 2016 6:14 pm
To Domarc, he explains: "Those beings who dwell upon the mountain gift the ice to the men who commune with them, and from them I am given a portion to sell to the people of Hazard."
Nov 14, 2016 6:28 pm
"What's so special about the mountain?" asks Zangua, curiosity clear in his voice.
Nov 14, 2016 6:44 pm
"It is an ennobled place, a peak seen often in dreams, but rarely by eyes. The dirt and impurities of the common Werld cannot reach it. There is nothing to the ice but the purest elemental water and the numinous character of the peak and its masters."
Nov 14, 2016 7:51 pm
Zangua shrugs, and fishes out two silver. "I'll try one."
Nov 14, 2016 8:17 pm
"Thank you kindly," the man in pink says. He opens his cart and takes a small cube of ice from the insulated, straw-lined interior, which he places in Zangua's hand. "Should you develop an affinity for curative ice, you will find me here again."
Nov 14, 2016 8:20 pm
Assuming it is easily consumed, Zangua pops the ice cube into his mouth, and tries to chew it.
Nov 14, 2016 8:58 pm
Zangua eats the ice cube.

It has a pleasant, fresh taste. It is very cold and not watery at all; although it has surely been in the handcart for awhile, it feels as if it had been freshly cut from a block and hadn't yet begun to melt.
Nov 14, 2016 9:02 pm
There is something more to this guy, but I have no idea what it is or how to figure it out.
Nov 14, 2016 9:05 pm
Zangua raises his eyebrows, his expression indicating a nice curious feeling. With a nod, he turns and walks away to rejoin the group.
Nov 14, 2016 9:24 pm
"Ah...on to the Temple, then?" Makis Meti asks the group.
Nov 14, 2016 10:22 pm
"Indeed, we should not let ourselves get distracted."
Nov 14, 2016 10:35 pm
From the square, Makis Meti leads you to a narrow lane that winds up a low hill behind the Temple of Marduk, past small shrines, a tiny, fenced-in, and very dense graveyard, and several large oak trees, to a large cleared area paved flat with sandstone. The stumps of palm trees that could not survive Bload's climate line either side of the paved area. Before you is a tall obelisk, and past that is the temple itself, the rather compact front doorway flanked by two large pylons painted with colorful murals in the Mezian style. There are about a dozen beggars camped out by the front of the temple, one of whom has a loud, ceaseless hacking cough. A young novitiate in a heavy black wig and a gauzy dress paces in circles around the obelisk, swinging an incense burner.

"Behold, the Temple of Isis," Makis Meti says.
Nov 15, 2016 10:09 am
Felor wonders if he shouldn't start shipping in ice from Jerma and hawk it in the market. Seems like a lucrative scam.
Nov 15, 2016 10:14 am
Felor moves over to the coughing beggar, crouches, and lays a hand on his forehead. "May the mighty and loving Fjorgyn bless and heal you my friend"

Can I tell if that's a real cough or if he's putting it on for the purposes of begging?

Rolls

Medicine skill check - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

load next

Thread locked