Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Nov 15, 2016 4:50 pm
Sounds like a nasty and legitimate case of phthisis to Felor.
Nov 15, 2016 5:03 pm
"Brother, avail yourself of the curative ice from the market. It may give you some respite." He presses two silver coins into the beggar's palm.
Nov 15, 2016 5:11 pm
"Thank you, good man. May the goddess bless you," the beggar says. Coughing and spitting omitted for clarity.

A well-dressed young couple walks out of the temple. The woman has a blank, stony look on her face. The man is sobbing. They hurry past you.
Nov 15, 2016 5:18 pm
Zangua steps out of the way of the young couple.
Nov 15, 2016 6:13 pm
Some of the other beggars, having witnessed Felor's generosity towards the cougher, start crowding around him, explaining the nature of their maladies or misfortune and requesting similar aid.
Nov 15, 2016 6:16 pm
Yep, thinks Zangua, sliding along to avoid the crush of beggars and leaving Felor to his fate.
Nov 15, 2016 8:02 pm
Makis Meti beckons the party toward the door of the temple. Everybody ready to go in?
Nov 15, 2016 8:17 pm
Zangua follows, approaching the door to the temple.
Nov 15, 2016 8:38 pm
Yeah, let's not attract any more attention. In we go.
Nov 15, 2016 8:50 pm
Through the doorway you pass through a candlelit vestibule to a courtyard full of flowers and a large ritual basin. Strong competing smells of perfume and incense assail your senses. Several devotees sit beside the columns along the sides, meditating or praying. Near the basin is a plinth with an ornate lockbox chained to it. A novitiate stands beside it, and nods to greet the party as they enter the courtyard.

"Welcome, children," the young woman says. "Are you here to participate in the Mysteries? They begin at sundown."
Nov 16, 2016 10:54 am
"Friends! Friends! Fjorgyn has love and warmth enough for you all!" Noticing the others head into the temple, he hastily adds "I must go now, but fear not, she will protect and embrace the faithful. Praise Fjorgyn!" before quickly entering the temple before he's overwhelmed.

Inside, he replies to the young woman.
"Mysteries? Forgive me, my lady, but we are unfamiliar with the rituals of Isis."
Nov 16, 2016 12:21 pm
"Indeed, we thank you for your welcome, but as my friend says, we are not here to worship, though we would love to participate in your ceremonies, if non-believers are welcome. We come instead in search of some that have sought refuge here. Two elves, a mother and daughter. I promise you we wish them no ill, but rather seek to reward them - and your temple - for some information they may have."

[If the novitiate is hesitant or resistant]

"As someone who once sought refuge myself as an orphan child I understand and respect your desire to protect these two. The information we seek will help to clear the name of a man who was wrongly executed, and may help to weaken or destroy a dangerous and deadly cult. We will agree to any terms you may have if we could just speak with them briefly. If they hear our questions and do not wish to answer them, we will leave peacefully, after leaving a significant donation."
Nov 16, 2016 5:32 pm
The novitiate immediately stiffens, and a very stricken look comes over her face. "Those who seek refuge -- if there were any -- it's not our place to allow outsiders to --"

"Honored Sister, we are sent on this errand by the great man Chorcarz dra Gahmez," Makis Meti interrupts.

The novitiate purses her lips and is silent for a moment. Then she says, "Please wait," and hurries into the great hall of the temple.

"I have participated in the Mysteries of Isis," Makis Meti says while you wait. "They are quite something. I cannot speak of them, of course. Though I would like to. But it is forbidden to speak of the Mysteries to those who have not experienced them. They are very enlightening, though, very thought-provoking, that much I suppose I can say. But I can say no more, sadly."

Soon thereafter the novitiate returns with a priestess, a woman of about thirty whose rank is denoted by her more elaborate wig and the red girdle knotted about her waist.

"You say you come at the behest of the House of Gahmez. What is your proof?"

"Honored Mother, I am Makis Meti, servant of the great and generous Chorcarz dra Gahmez, and here is my proof." Makis Meti holds up his hand to show the priestess the copper signet he wears.

The priestess gives a little deflated shrug. "I suppose I cannot refuse a request from such a benefactor, but I feel you are wasting your time if you've been sent to interrogate these poor creatures. To us, they have explained little. And I will not tolerate their being intimidated or threatened in any way. Follow me."

The priestess leads you through a side door into a narrow hallway that leads back toward the rear of the temple. This hallway takes you to the wood-and-plaster apartments built onto the east side of the temple. Down a long hallway lined with the tiny, doorless rooms where the novitiates sleep, the priestess leads you up a staircase to the second floor. Here, one of the rooms has had a curtain strung across the doorway for privacy. The priestess stops outside it and says, "My dear ones. There are men here to meet you, sent by a great lord of the city. I cannot refuse them. Will you speak with them for a moment?"

A gray hand draws the curtain aside. An elven woman, with ash-colored skin, silver hair, and whitish-gray eyes stands in the doorway, wearing a simple dress of white muslin. Behind her, sitting cross-legged on a cot, is one who looks nearly identical to her. It is not at all apparent which is the mother and which is the daughter.

"What do you want?" the elf in the doorway asks in a thickly accented voice.
Nov 16, 2016 6:18 pm
"The mysteries of Isis are indeed something to experience, friends. Very...intense. A trip like no other."
Domarc bows, and then speaks in Elvish.

"We are sorry to intrude upon you. We seek only information, about an Elven man who may be missing, and have come to you in the hopes that his name might be one you know. The lord who sent us also wanted us to see that you are comfortable and safe, given the ordeal you have been through."
Nov 16, 2016 6:38 pm
Brackets indicate the speaker is talking in Elvish.

"[We will never be safe again,]" the elf seated on the cot says.

"[The women of this temple have been very kind to us,]" says the one in the doorway. Her dialect is a bit different from the Elvish Domarc learned. "[Your lord need not worry for our welfare. We will find our own way when we are able.]"
Nov 16, 2016 6:54 pm
Zangua hangs back, but cranes his neck to observe the strange creatures before them.
Nov 16, 2016 7:08 pm
"[I am pleased to hear that you are safe and well-looked after. I would expect no less from those who serve Isis."] Domarc says. ["May I ask as to what caused you to flee your home? It may be that the same events have overtaken the person we seek. And even if not, our lord may worry that they are a threat to the people of this city."]
Nov 16, 2016 7:13 pm
As they proceeded through the temple towards the Elves, Leth could not help but feel this was a bit of a long shot. They are looking for an Elf, so they had come to the temple to speak with two Elves who lived there because... they were Elves too? Did all Elves know each other? That seems unlikely. Regardless, they don't have a lot of other solid leads at the moment, so searching here is just about as good an option as any. He follows the others, observing the temple curiously as they proceeded further into it.

As Domarc and the Elves begin conversing, Leth struggles to keep up with what they're saying. He had learned some Elvish in his youth, but it has been some time since he's needed to recall any of it, but he can understand enough to get the gist of what they are saying. For now, he hangs back and and is content to let Domarc, who seems to be much more Fluent in Elvish, do the talking.
OOC:
How rare are elves, exactly? In character creation, I was allowed to learn two extra languages. Dwarves seem to maybe be a bit more common than elves, so knowing dwarvish would make sense, but I'm not sure where or why he would have learned Elvish if they're so rare in Bload.
Last edited November 16, 2016 7:27 pm
Nov 16, 2016 7:21 pm
They are looking for an Elf, so they had come to the temple to speak with two Elves who lived there because... they were Elves too?

That's kind of the idea. They are rare in Bload (in the world?) and long-lived, so we are hoping that they might at least know where he went.

Mordred clears his throat at Domarc, suggesting that he might want to translate for the rest of the party when he has a chance.
Last edited November 16, 2016 7:21 pm
Nov 16, 2016 7:41 pm
Elves are not native to Bload and are extremely rare here. Their largest habitations are in Jerma and Engol.

"[We are from Suprora, in the west of the land men call Engol,]" the one in the doorway says. "[Who are you to ask us what happened there? It is a source of great pain and heartsickness to us. You are men. You fear the chill in the weather, you fear the insect that crawls, you fear the knife in the hand of a stranger. Do not fear the thing we fled from. It cares not for you or the cities you build.]"

Despite the language barrier, the rising contempt in her voice is evident to everyone listening.
load next

Thread locked