Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Nov 18, 2016 5:45 pm
There's some trees and vegetation around the paved area and the lane leading up to the temple that are off the public thoroughfares enough to provide some degree of privacy for a conversation.
Nov 18, 2016 5:47 pm
Zangua briefly wonders if this is another ice seller, but the man has no wares. He is almost of the mind to ignore the fellow, but the last time that happened things got pretty hectic. He also looks around the area, but for signs of a possible ambush.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Nov 18, 2016 5:50 pm
It occurs to Zangua that the presence of the aforementioned trees and vegetation make this rather not a bad place to set up an ambush, but he can't see any obvious signs of one.
Nov 18, 2016 6:30 pm
"Makis, do you recognize him?" Domarc also scans the area, but continues moving forward. "We're supposed to act like normal travellers, fellows, so let's play the part."

Domarc raises his hand and waves back.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Nov 18, 2016 7:19 pm
Makis Meti frowns. "I...don't know? His garment looks familiar."

"Greetings!" the man in the brown cap calls out. "It's my understanding that you gentlemen were involved in a violent incident at the West Bload Trading Company offices early today, and were later seen receiving guest-rights at the House of Gahmez. Would you speak with me for a moment?"
Nov 18, 2016 7:23 pm
"Over here, sir." Mordred gestures to a stand of dense shrubbery and puts a finger across his lips to indicate quiet. He whispers to the party "Everyone take a look around and see if we are being observed."

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Nov 18, 2016 7:28 pm
The man follows Mordred over and smiles. "I assure you, you are being observed. You are dangerous men. I know that. But I have no ill intent toward you. I hope that we will leave this conversation as friends." He extends his hand. "My name is Gethro Moag. I am the Amanuensis of the Hierophant of Hazard."

Mordred's eye falls upon the man's cloak-pin: a copper tablet and stylus.
Nov 18, 2016 11:14 pm
Hello Gethro. I am Rosco, and these are my compatriots Boe, Luc, and Djessi. You may know Domarc and Makis already. How can we be of assistance to the Heirophant?"
Nov 18, 2016 11:35 pm
"I do not," he says, nodding to Domarc and Makis, "but it is a pleasure to meet you all. Rosco, I'm afraid you have things backward -- the Hierophant serves the people of this city, and it is his wish to be of assistance to you. We know that the bloodshed at the Trading Company was instigated by members of the Six-Pronged Crown, a militant sect we have been trying to neutralize for several years now. If Makis Meti will forgive me for speaking bluntly about his benefactor...it was of some concern to the Hierophant that the targets of this attack, foreign visitors to the city, were immediately taken under the wing of the House of Gahmez. It is not my wish to insult the honorable Chorcarz dra Gahmez, but for all that he speaks of his political power and influence, you must remember that he is only the maternal uncle of the Innocent. The child's father and grandfather are the ones who hold the strings, and this frustrates Chorcarz greatly. The Hierophant wanted to warn you that Chorcarz may see this as an opportunity for intrigues, and that you ought to be wary. While his personal generosity, indeed, cannot be questioned --" Gethro pauses here to acknowledge Makis Meti with a look -- "his true fealty, in the end, is to his own ambitions. Do not allow yourselves to be used as instruments of his will."

Makis Meti, for once, is speechless. and quite red in the face.
Nov 21, 2016 3:47 pm
Zangua remains quiet, looking about for signs of this 'observation.'

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Nov 21, 2016 4:40 pm
"I do not much care for intrigues and politics, but would be greatly interested to hear what you know of the Six-Pronged Crown. They have caused us and our friends much grief in recent times, and given the amount of blood they have shed with their dark magics thus far, we are very concerned about what devilry they may unleash next."
Nov 21, 2016 4:48 pm
"Yes, very interested. My group has a few more errands to carry out this afternoon, and then we would be pleased to join you at your offices for further discussion. Makis, I suppose you know where we can find Mr. Moag's place of employ later?"

Mordred doesn't trust this guy, and is trying to get him to show his hand - if we can meet him at Heirophant HQ later, it is more likely that he is on the level.
Nov 21, 2016 8:07 pm
Zangua doesn't see anybody, but he can identify a few points of cover where he would plant an archer if he was in charge of securing the area.

"My Jermal friend, the devilry you are most likely to see from the Six-Pronged Crown is the wordly kind, I'm afraid," Gethro answers Felor. "Theft. Murder. The desecration of hallowed places. They are, we believe, one of many cults that are convinced there is power in the remains of Ilhaz. If there ever was an Ilhaz, I doubt there is much of him left beneath the Mastaba. But old myths have a power of their own, and men will do terrible things in the service of false beliefs. I am sure you know this well." To Mordred, he says: "Chorcarz will know of our meeting here, but to avoid the blatant appearance of intrigues, I think it would be best if you didn't visit our side of the Trigon for now. I will reach out to you again -- at the appropriate place and time. In the meantime, take this. A token of the Hierophant's goodwill." He hands Mordred a small tin cylinder.
Nov 22, 2016 9:49 am
BullOctorok says:
"My Jermal friend, the devilry you are most likely to see from the Six-Pronged Crown is the wordly kind, I'm afraid," Gethro answers Felor. "Theft. Murder. The desecration of hallowed places. They are, we believe, one of many cults that are convinced there is power in the remains of Ilhaz. If there ever was an Ilhaz, I doubt there is much of him left beneath the Mastaba. But old myths have a power of their own, and men will do terrible things in the service of false beliefs. I am sure you know this well."
Felor frowns and shakes his head - this man was either ignorant or deliberately downplaying the threat. "There was nothing mythical about the unholy metal golem which hounded us and slaughtered many innocents. It was propelled by a great magical power and only by great effort was the device stopped. Do not try to tell me this is some mere witch-cult - they have access to some powerful sorcery."

Insight check - does this guy believe what he's saying or is he lying about how big a threat the 6PC are?
Was Ilhaz mentioned previously or is this a new name?
Last edited November 22, 2016 11:48 am

Rolls

Insight skill check - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Nov 22, 2016 11:22 am
Mordred carefully and subtly examines the cylinder.

Rolls

Perception (?) - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Investigation (?) - (1d20+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

Nov 22, 2016 4:30 pm
"Forgive me, Gethro, but I am new to the wonders of Hazard and Bload," Domarc says, emphasizing his Mez accent, "The remains of Ilhaz? The Mastaba? I do not know these things, but they would seem to be important to understanding the motives of this Pointy Hat Gang. For as you state, the truth of their beliefs matters not, but the substance of those beliefs is of interest."
Nov 22, 2016 5:01 pm
Ilhaz and the Mastaba have been mentioned before, in passing. The island in the river in the middle of Hazard is called the Isle of Ilhaz, and Chorcarz mentioned that his initial brush with the 6PC was when they tried to break into the Mastaba. Feel free to make a History check for more info.

"If you are going to involve yourself in the affairs of Hazard, you should learn its history," Gethro tells Domarc with a smile. "That would be prudent. That would be wise. Good day to you all." He turns and starts to walk away.

Mordred finds that one end of the cylinder twists right off. There is a small, dirty parchment scroll inside.

"Don't pay him any mind," Makis Meti mutters, as soon as Gethro is a few yards away. "The Hierophant is nothing more than a figurehead these days. All he has are schemes and rumors to make himself feel important. Everybody knows this."
Nov 22, 2016 5:13 pm
Did I get a read on the guy with my Insight check?

Ilhaz... a name Felor had heard before, but now this man talks of his "remains", and of the Six-Pointed Crown trying to find them. Hmm.

Rolls

History skill check - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Nov 22, 2016 5:18 pm
Felor has a hard time reading Gethro. He doesn't seem to be outright duplicitous, but he's also making a point of the fact that he's not showing you all his cards yet. That History check is a big ol' goose egg though.
Nov 22, 2016 5:45 pm
OOC:
Is there a search function for the past threads? Normally I have extensive notes on things, but I didn't take any on my read through, obviously. So much for playing the ignorant foreigner to gain information!

Rolls

History Check - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

load next

Thread locked