Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Nov 22, 2016 6:03 pm
Domarc recalls a little: Ilhaz was the legendary titan who, as the stories go, reclaimed Bload from the Lord of Beasts and made it safe for mortals to inhabit. He was said to have died in battle with the Great Green Serpent of the Ophid River, and where he fell became the Isle of Ilhaz, and the Mastaba was erected by the founders of Hazard to honor him.

Prior references to Ilhaz etc:
Quote:
Far ahead and to your left, you can see the Isle of Ilhaz in the middle of the river and the few ancient structures that remain on it, the oldest buildings still standing in this city.
Quote:
"I remember the last time they attempted one of their little excursions into the Mastaba. It only took four patrolmen to root out the lot of them, and the only one who gave them trouble was that treasure-hunter they hired, and it was his silken words, not his sword, that was the danger there. I was one of the judges who heard their trial. The perpetrators were only exiled, nothing more than simple mischief could be proven against them."
Edit: I missed an Ilhaz reference; the Queen of the Squalid Sett mentions him in her little diatribe about Hazard on page 2 of this chapter.

Mordred tips the parchment out into his hand and unrolls it a bit. He reads the first few lines at the top of it. The script is unusual to him, but legible. It reads:

Manifest of Passengers aboard the Harikan Squall on its departure from Blessed Utwar on the Ninth Day of Nethunsmoon in the Fourth Year of the Reign of King Abladsar the Knock-Kneed
Nov 22, 2016 6:11 pm
"It would seem we've stumbled into the local politics, gentlemen. Makis, tell me what you know of the schemes of the Heirophant - a figurehead he may be, but not all figureheads are without influence or followers.

I also suggest we continue moving, or else find somewhere to sit and plan our next move, rather than stand about like slack-jawed yokels.

As for the Elves in the Temple of Isis, I think we learned two things of value. First off, Pathfinel would seem to have some notoriety amongst Elves - we may find further clues about him if we find other Elves. Secondly, he was in Suprora 200 years ago to go to Mez, but left Hazard 150 years ago. So while we still do not know where he is now -"
Domarc grins "we at least know places where he is not; if he had returned to Suprora, the Elves would have noted it. And he is not in Hazard. If we can eliminate all the places he is not, then we will know where he is."
Nov 22, 2016 6:31 pm
Makis Meti stammers a bit about how the Hierophant is a sour and resentful old man who accomplishes nothing but to create obstruction where he can and ought to recognize the fact that the march of history has reduced his position to one that is ceremonial at best. It is fairly clear that all Makis Meti knows is what he has heard Chorcarz venting about, and that he lacks any real insight into the political situation in Hazard.
Nov 22, 2016 6:36 pm
Zangua turns his back to Makis Meti and mutters low into Felor's ear, "So who do we trust? Zora's at this guy's house, only because her mom took her there."
Nov 22, 2016 7:06 pm
I also suggest we continue moving, or else find somewhere to sit and plan our next move, rather than stand about like slack-jawed yokels.

"Yes, we need to find a quiet place immediately. There is something of great interest on this paper."

Are libraries a thing on Bload? Mordred asks if there is one nearby that they can get access to, or a very sleepy inn.
Nov 22, 2016 7:07 pm
When we finally get to a quiet spot, Mordred is going to ask Makis to step away - perhaps to keep watch over the entrance of wherever they find themselves - before he discusses the contents with the party. I still do not trust Chorcarz.
Nov 22, 2016 7:35 pm
Libraries exist, but not really public libraries in the sense of places you can hang out all day and flip through books without anyone hassling you. Sleepy inns would definitely be easier to find.
Nov 22, 2016 7:42 pm
Quote:
Manifest of Passengers aboard the Harikan Squall
Title drop! Second one this chapter!
Nov 22, 2016 7:53 pm
"Makis, could you take us to an inn or a common house? Somewhere quiet we could have a drink, perhaps some food."
Nov 22, 2016 8:10 pm
"Certainly, I know just the place. The best stew this side of the river. They say the pot has been cooking in perpetuity for four hundred years, can you believe that? I'm not sure I do, but it's delicious all the same. Very quiet too, a good place to talk, I had what I would consider to be my third or fourth most enlightening conversation about philosophy there. I'll tell you all about it. Follow me."

Makis Meti leads you back to the square and a few blocks south to a neighborhood of modest homes and apartments abutted by a large and imposing dormitory building for some religious order. At the corner here is a small inn, identified by the image on its shingle as the Spotted Egg.

Inside, about half the tables are full, and there's a low hubbub of chatter -- what passes for "quiet" in Makis Meti's estimation. An empty booth in the corner beckons, and as you make your way there a barmaid with her hair in looped braids asks in a thick Mezian accent what she can start bringing you.
Nov 23, 2016 11:36 am
Mordred pulls the barmaid close. "A round of stew and ale for my friends, and for me, a decent cut of meat, as raw as you'll cook it and a strong cup of tea. Whatever that costs, we will pay double if no one bothers us while we eat. On our way out, we will ask you if anyone seemed to be watching us or asked about us. If you tell us true, there is a gold piece in it for you." He flashes his eyes white and winks as he releases her arm and heads to the table.

Rolls

Persuasion (Ol' Mord turns on the charm) - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

Nov 23, 2016 4:59 pm
Helpless to counteract Mordred's charm attack, the barmaid nods enthusiastically and heads off to the kitchen.

Are you sending Makis Meti away now?
Nov 26, 2016 6:48 am
Chorcarz and Makis Meti tell us the heirophant is just a figurehead... but Gethro tells us that the house of Gahmez is not as powerful as he would have us believe... which of them is telling the truth, if either of them are, I wonder? Leth ponders to himself as they talk to Gethro. [Insight Check] The most particularly interesting thing to him is the name Ilhaz. Perhaps that's who they are trying to revive... we should try to find out more about that as well.

"So, Mordred... what's the paper you have there?" Leth asks once they get situated at the booth. (If we are sending Makis away, he will wait until he is gone to ask)

Rolls

insight - who was more truthful about who has the power in hazard - Chorcarz or Gethro? - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Nov 27, 2016 1:40 am
Makis Meti is visibly disappointed to be excluded, but goes and stands watch outside the door regardless.

Leth is unsure which of the two to believe. Both of them seemed fairly confident in their own assessments of the balance of political power in Hazard. The truth, he tells himself, probably lies somewhere in the middle.
Nov 29, 2016 5:10 pm
"It's the supposedly lost manifest of the Harikan Squall."

Mordred unrolls the parchment on the table and begins to read silently, beckoning his companions to do the same.
Nov 29, 2016 5:59 pm
"This is a gift horse we may want to take a closer look at...How did the Heirophant know the Pointy Hat Gang attacked us this morning? And how did he know that we seek a individual listed on that document? Wheels within wheels here," Domarc says. "We may need to play both sides of the political street here, as we are entrusting Chocarz with the safety of your friend, but it would seem the Heirophant has more of the relevant information - and, indeed, views the Pointy Hats as a threat rather than dismissing them."

Domarc stares out over the tavern, but his eyes indicate he is not really seeing the room. "Whatever information that scroll contains, we are going to have to think through what we say when we go back to Chocarz's estate - Makis will tell him of the meeting."
Nov 29, 2016 6:03 pm
Zangua yawns, quietly. Reading was never his thing and he seems fine with letting the others look at the parchment. And politics always gave him a headache.
Nov 29, 2016 7:16 pm
Scanning through the list of names written in a fine and cramped script on the manifest, you find Pafthinel's entry near the end:

NAME: Pafthinel, AGE: Unknown, OCCUPATION: Scholar of the Elements, RACE: Fey, LAST RESIDENCE: Hazard, House of Orjo

The entry under the last heading is written in a different ink, by a different hand:

DESTINATION: Island of Vorch

The barmaid returns with your food and drinks.
Nov 29, 2016 7:40 pm
Does Vorch mean anything to us?

ETA: Boom! Guess Mordred majored in Vorchian History.
Last edited November 29, 2016 7:41 pm

Rolls

History? - (1d20+1)

(20) + 1 = 21

load next

Thread locked