Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Nov 29, 2016 7:59 pm
The warrior immediately begins to eat and drink, giving no thought to the manifest.
Last edited November 29, 2016 7:59 pm
Nov 29, 2016 8:08 pm
Domarc asks the serving lady if she could take a tankard of ale to "our man" Metis, who is waiting outside the front door.
Nov 29, 2016 8:30 pm
BTW, I missed an Ilhaz reference, which has been edited into my post on the top of the previous page.

The serving lady nods and goes to fetch ale for Makis Meti.

Mordred remembers hearing of Vorch: a small, untamed island somewhere off the south tip of Bload, named for the King of Malch who was exiled there some five hundred years ago. It was said that his descendants returned twenty years after his exile to bring him back, but that he fled from them, and hid in the wilderness, and had lost his ability to speak.
Nov 29, 2016 9:02 pm
"Well, if he got off the boat on Vorch, at least he didn't go down with the ship," Domarc says. "But it sounds like a place where answers might be hard to come by. Still, it seems the best lead we have.""
Nov 30, 2016 12:31 pm
Yeah, I'm not inclined to rush off to an untamed island hundreds (?) of miles away, but I do think it is good news that Pafthinel is probably not dead, and perhaps he will learn that the Sphere is back in the news, so to speak, and he will come back to Bload at some point in the story.

What other leads to we have to follow?
Nov 30, 2016 3:01 pm
Investigate this Ilhaz business more thoroughly? If the Pointy Hat Crew are trying to get in there, it may be connected to the Sphere.
Nov 30, 2016 5:00 pm
The Island of Vorch is about 90 miles south of Sood. As far as other leads, Chorcarz suggested engineering a confrontation with the 6PC so you could take a captive and question him. Also, Martjan still seems to think she knows where the Sphere actually is.

It's getting dark. You eat and drink and mull over the contents of the manifest and your options from here. More patrons come and go. "Lookee here, a devilkin," one of them mutters in your table's direction.
Nov 30, 2016 7:29 pm
"Well, my mother always did say my father was the devil," Domarc says pleasantly. "But I always took it as a more metaphoric statement. Though he was a disagreeable man, to be sure, and as I became older I found I could have some sympathy for him."
Nov 30, 2016 10:10 pm
The patron ignores Domarc to glare at Mordred, but moves on to his own table without escalating things further.

Is the party ready to head back to the Gahmez estate?
Dec 1, 2016 1:29 am
Mordred nods to Domarc in gratitude, pulls his hood further over his head, and leads the party out of the inn. As they pass through the door, he uses Mage Hand to dump the man's bowl of stew into his lap.

I think we should go find the sphere. It might not be the most prudent plan, but Mordred is tired of other, more powerful entities knowing their every move, and this is clearly the one thing they don't already know.
Dec 1, 2016 3:00 am
Zangua is the last to leave, finishing his drink and food.
Dec 1, 2016 4:48 pm
The party leaves the Spotted Egg to the sound of a man yelping in surprise as hot perpetual stew soaks his lap.

Makis Meti is a few feet outside the door, chatting up a neighborhood patrolman when he sees you emerge. He quickly excuses himself. "All done, then? Let's hurry back before the streets are dark."

A little while and several Makis Meti anecdotes later, you return to the gates of the House of Gahmez. A servant you haven't seen before lets you in, and shows you to the servants' quarters, a modest dormitory building near the main house.

"A pleasure and an honor it has been to meet and serve you all," Makis Meti says. "Is there anything else you would ask of me before I take my leave?"
Dec 1, 2016 5:44 pm
"Makis, I thank you for your time and energy today - you have been a wonderful host and guide for us," Domarc says, squeezing his shoulder. "I am pleased to know we have a friend in you. On the morrow, we may wish to see the Shrine of Culsu; tell me, is it far from here?

Also, the representative from the Heirophant suggested we not cross to their side of the Trigon. I'm curious, is the city divided between the Heirophant and the Innocent?"

So we seem to have the same choices as before - go find the sphere, go find Pathy the wandering elf, or continue some investigation here in Hazard with the Shrine and maybe capturing a member of the 6PC as sort of reasonable next steps, along with a possible new one - investigating the Mastaba, which I think is the structure on the Isle of Illhaz, which is supposed built over the remains of Illhaz. I'm thinking if we want to visit the shrine, we may want to do it tonight under cover of darkness and without Makis in tow in case we get jumped. But I'm not sure where it is, and it may be on the other side of the Trigon (which I think is the river in Hazard, or is that the Ophid?), which the Hierophant's representative warned us to stay away from.

I'm kinda reluctant to stick around Hazard long; the local politics seem murky and somewhat dangerous given that we don't have much of a clue as to how the balance of power is working at the moment. I'm good with either going after the Sphere or chasing down the elf; my only question is if getting the Sphere leaves us a little vulnerable without having another place to secure it - I don't think Chocarz should be holding all the pieces we think are important.

I'm going to have to do up some notes on Hazard and what we've learned about the city, because I think we'll be back here and it's kinda hard to dig through the forums to find back the names of everything...
Dec 1, 2016 6:11 pm
Makis Meti gives you directions to the Shrine of Culsu, which is in the Old Temple District on the south side of the river.

The river running through Hazard is the Ophid, you are correct about the Mastaba, and the Trigon is the administrative center of the city, consisting of the Hierophant's Palace on the west side, the Innocent's Palace on the east side, the City Hall between them where the bureaucrats and district representatives work, and a public space forming the "point" of the triangle to the south where citizens can show up to have petitions heard, cases judged, etc.

Makis Meti's understanding of the politics of Hazard is that it is not divided, that the uneducated masses believe the Hierophant and the Innocent are truly inspired by the gods and work together harmoniously, and that those who are shrewd and knowledgeable (like himself) understand that the role of the Hierophant has been in decline and that the family of the Innocent holds the true power and has the allegiance of the district representatives. He reiterates his opinion that the current Hierophant is a grasper whose defining characteristic is his frustration with his own irrelevance.
Dec 1, 2016 6:15 pm
I'm thinking if we want to visit the shrine, we may want to do it tonight under cover of darkness and without Makis in tow in case we get jumped.

I'm in favor of this idea.
Dec 1, 2016 6:55 pm
Anybody else vote for scoping out the Shrine of Culsu while the night is dark?
Dec 1, 2016 6:57 pm
Zangua is fine with anything. Scouting is his forte.
OOC:
Well, back when he wore leather armor.
Last edited December 1, 2016 6:58 pm
Dec 1, 2016 8:22 pm
Would it be better to scope it out at night, when it could be seen as suspicious for us to be sneaking about; or during broad daylight when we're less likely to provoke an attack from the cult and/or suspicion from the general populace?
Also, if we want to capture a cultist, I'm okay with that, but it does seem potentially incriminating - Chocraz did advise us to try and keep our heads down and our hands clean. Capture and interrogation seems a bit risky, but like I said, if that's what you guys want to do, I'm down.

I'm not a huge fan of going off-island at the moment, especially when our destination is so far away and the only information we might glean is what the boat's (and our elven friend's) next stop was.

Gethro suggested we learn the history of Hazard. Where could we go about doing that, if libraries aren't really a viable option?
Last edited December 1, 2016 8:23 pm
Dec 1, 2016 8:31 pm
Considering the cult didn't have a problem with going after us in the middle of a crowded room (where I thought I could use the crowd to provide cover for a chance for a conversation), I don't think daylight is likely to slow them either. I think if we do get attacked, night will give us the best chance for some vigorous questioning and disposal options.

Not sure what is the wisest course on any front at this point and I'm good to go along with whatever.
Dec 1, 2016 8:34 pm
Agree with nubs. Night time is the right time.
load next

Thread locked