Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Dec 2, 2016 4:28 pm
Your best resource for Hazard history would probably be word-of-mouth; Martjan and Chorcarz know a lot, and could probably direct you to other knowledgeable sources.

Look like we have the votes to push a nighttime visit to the Shrine of Culsu through, any objections, speak now...
Dec 5, 2016 5:14 pm
You have several options to get across the river to the south side of Hazard. There is a bridge at the south end of this residential area, near the House of the Zapanim; there are two bridges that lead to the Isle of Ilhaz in the middle of the commercial area where the Trading Company is located (with a single bridge connecting the Isle to the south side), and one bridge at the west end of that same commercial area. The Shrine of Culsu is in the Old Temple District on the west side of Hazard, near the river, so that last bridge is the one nearest to it. Which route do you want to take?
Dec 5, 2016 5:55 pm
Would we be able to pass by the Mastaba if we took the Isle route?
Last edited December 5, 2016 5:56 pm
Dec 5, 2016 6:27 pm
Maybe do that route on the way there? We may want the quick way back for our return.
Dec 5, 2016 6:41 pm
If you're going through the Isle you can take the (nearer) Peddler's Bridge or the (further) Tower Bridge. I'll post a (very) rough map of Hazard in a bit.
Dec 5, 2016 7:19 pm
Rough Schematic Map of Hazard:

http://i.imgur.com/ZcKmEmf.jpg
Dec 5, 2016 7:21 pm
Whichever one is less traveled. I'm guessing Peddler's? Mordred will be very careful about keeping his hood up and walking in shadow if he can.

EDIT: And remind me again the significance of being on the other side of the river?
Last edited December 5, 2016 7:22 pm
Dec 5, 2016 7:27 pm
The north side has all the wealthy neighborhoods, the newer temples, the governmental buildings, and is more culturally Mezian. The south side is poorer, has the older temples, and is more culturally native Bloader.
Dec 6, 2016 9:29 pm
So y'all are taking the Peddler's Bridge (that's the eastmost bridge to the Isle on the map) to cross over to the south side? Moving ahead with that if nobody objects...
Dec 6, 2016 9:45 pm
Peddler's bridge sounds fine to me
Dec 6, 2016 10:35 pm
Slipping out of the confines of the Gahmez estate as nighttime settles over Hazard, the party makes its way back down toward the waterfront. As you draw nearer to the river, you find that darkness has not yet put all of the city to sleep, as you pass several noisy, firelit taverns and a few women and men lurking on the streetcorners call after you with offers of turpitudinous goods and services. There are guards, too, pacing their rounds in their distinctive cylindrical caps and carrying torches. Crossing a small footbridge over a canal, you pass a young man vomiting loudly into the water below.

At the waterfront itself, laborers are still busy unloading barges. Massive river pikes fly through the air before you as fishers toss them off their boats to workers who deftly catch them.

Soon enough, you can see points of orange light over the river, torches carried by the guards patrolling the Peddler's Bridge. You're almost there.

Everybody roll a Perception check.
Dec 6, 2016 10:39 pm
Zangua walks casually, trying to look like he belongs.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Dec 6, 2016 10:42 pm
Mordred looks about.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Dec 6, 2016 10:47 pm
Mordred first catches sight of him a few blocks away from the Gahmez estate and thinks little of it at first, but when he sees him again by the waterfront, walking with long strides in the shadows of the shuttered storefronts, there is little doubt in his mind that the party is being followed.

Zangua catches a glimpse of him too. He wears a brown cloak and a wide-brimmed hat.
Dec 6, 2016 11:09 pm
OOC:
See if I can join the party

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Dec 6, 2016 11:16 pm
Domarc finds a copper piece on the ground, but doesn't notice anyone tailing the party.
Dec 7, 2016 12:52 am
Ahead you can see an orange point of light passing over the water: a guard patrolling the bridge.

The man in the hat is still following you, keeping to the shadows some distance behind.
Dec 7, 2016 1:00 pm
Mordred's City Secrets feature (from his Urchin background) gives him (and companions) double speed in cities:
Quote:
You know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss.
When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.
Would that allow us to pick up speed and lose this hat guy? I'll throw in a Deception roll if that is applicable...

Rolls

Deception - (1d20+4)

(17) + 4 = 21

load next

Thread locked