Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Dec 9, 2016 7:59 pm
No traps spring as Mordred opens the door.

In the center of the shrine is a statue of Culsu wearing only a calf-length skirt and holding a pair of scissors in her right hand. Her upraised left hand is broken off, but probably would have held a torch. A simple horned altar stands before the statue, bare of offerings. A few old tallow candles are clustered around its base. A bench, a stool, and a few rolled-up rugs are set aside near the entrance.

There are two tiers of painted reliefs on the circular wall of the shrine interior. The lower tier depicts eleven doorways, each with a scene or symbol on top of it: a fortress wall, a tangle of vines, a pair of wrestlers...a hippocampus.

The upper tier depicts five open arches, with a landscape painted inside each: a river running through a forest, a mountain range, a city on a hill, a sprawling palace, a desert and a jungle incongruously side-by-side.

A silver spiral pattern is painted on the ceiling dome.

Make an Insight check, Mordred or anyone who follows him in.
Dec 9, 2016 8:06 pm
Zangua glances up at the walls and takes in the decor.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Dec 9, 2016 8:10 pm
Something clicks in Zangua's head: the doorways on the lower tier represent the other twelve city-states of Hazard (with Sood and Malch sharing one doorway), and the ones on top represent the nations of Engol, Jerma, Mez, Parz, and Hafer.
Dec 9, 2016 8:13 pm
"Huh." Probably means nothing.
Last edited December 9, 2016 8:13 pm
Dec 9, 2016 8:35 pm
No actual exits other than the one we came in, just paintings?
Dec 9, 2016 8:36 pm
"Interesting," Domarc says. He takes a closer look at the hippocampus. "Doors both literal and metaphorical...I wonder, if one had the right magic, if these could be used as passageways to and from these locations. Zangua, you say these represent the different city-states - what symbol goes with which?"

Rolls

Insight check - (1d20+2)

(15) + 2 = 17

Dec 9, 2016 8:39 pm
Zangua briefly flinches, shaken out of his thoughts. "What? I said something?"
Dec 9, 2016 8:48 pm
Sorry, I just kind of assumed you shared your insight with the group via the magic of the DM speaking. If not, I'm sorry for the assumption. Still want to have a closer look at that hippocampus though; here is the literal sea-horse on Cuslu's door.
Dec 9, 2016 8:58 pm
OOC:
I'm cool with muttering something aloud. Zangua himself doesn't realize.
Dec 9, 2016 9:42 pm
Clockwise from the entrance: Dule (a stone cairn), Darcra (a boar spear over a hide shield), Felboc (tangled vines), Sood and Malch (a pair of wrestlers), Bohul (a fortress wall), Orsen (a scale), Sthombo (a hippocampus), Gurmar (the moon and its watery reflection), Gaad (a knotted club), Utwar (a trireme), Banwod (a branch with mistletoe).
Dec 9, 2016 9:56 pm
Is there anything odd or weird about the hippocampus image above Sthombo's door?
Dec 9, 2016 11:54 pm
Nothing weird and no, no other exits.
Dec 12, 2016 4:35 pm
Anybody have anything else they want to do at the shrine? Also, not to ask leading questions, but is anyone keeping watch outside?
Dec 12, 2016 4:50 pm
Zangua looks around, and not one to be asking questions of priests or anyone in charge, elects to stand outside and keep watch.
Dec 12, 2016 4:58 pm
While the others are examining the shrine, Zangua notices the return of the man in the brown cloak who had been following them. He approaches the guards near Erat's temple, and they appear to have a brief conversation, and the guards hurry off down a westbound street.
Dec 12, 2016 5:06 pm
Yeah, probably not good, thinks Zangua. "Hey, we're probably going to have company soon. Might want to hurry up."
Dec 12, 2016 5:20 pm
"I still wonder if these might have served as methods of transport," Domarc says, taking a look at each of the images in turn before turning to consider the statue and the altar; Domarc considers what he knows of means of magical transportation.

"Anyone think there's anything else worth checking out? Might be worth it to disappear back into the city before anyone knows we came here..."

Back to my usual rolls...
Last edited December 12, 2016 5:23 pm

Rolls

Knowledge - Arcana check - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Dec 12, 2016 5:23 pm
The man in the brown cloak faces in Zangua's direction for a long moment, then starts walking toward him at a relaxed pace. He is, perhaps, 200' away at the start of his approach.
Dec 12, 2016 5:26 pm
Domarc slips out of the shrine.

"Remember, we're tourists," he whispers to Zangua.
Dec 12, 2016 5:26 pm
The painted doorways are suggestive, but Domarc cannot think of a precedent for such a method of magical transportation. Even the archmages of Banwod are not known to make use of permanent dimensional gateways.
load next

Thread locked