Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Jan 3, 2017 6:06 pm
It's kind of nice to have the spell save DCs in the post but I can always look it up on your character sheets, so if you forget, don't worry about it.

Leth and Mordred, you're up.
Jan 3, 2017 6:10 pm
Hrm. Is Adan a Six-Pointed Crown extremist? Sorry about the guards, but at least we don't have to deal with the law again. I hope "We have what we need" isn't in reference to Zora or Martjan.

Mordred takes advantage of the excitement to draw his cloak a little tighter about himself and attempts to hide amongst the shadows around the temple entrance.

Thanks for the heal, Felor.

22/23 HP
Last edited January 3, 2017 6:15 pm

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Jan 3, 2017 6:18 pm
A refresher on what the deal is with Adan, if anyone needs it.

As Mordred slinks back into the darkness, Adan suddenly rises up into the air, dragging the false acolyte up with him a few feet until his grip on Adan's shoulders fails and he falls hard on his knees to the paving stones below. The black-cloaked man takes flight again as well, rising up beside Adan, as the beetle familiar circles around them both.

Leth, you're up.
Jan 3, 2017 6:37 pm
OOC:
Not sure when I'll have a chance to post again today, and don't want to miss out on my next action in this fast moving combat! So this is my planned action:
"Thank you, grandmother, I am well," Domarc-as-Zora says, and gently disengages himself from her. "We should all head for somewhere safe!"

And Domarc-as-Zora dashes back down the alley, looking for a place where he can drop his disguise and then return.

Edit - rolls that might be needed
Last edited January 3, 2017 6:38 pm

Rolls

Performance Check - (1d20+6)

(18) + 6 = 24

Persuasion or Deception Check - (1d20+8)

(1) + 8 = 9

Jan 3, 2017 6:40 pm
Should I assume I cannot both pick up my bow again and then attack on the same turn?
Jan 3, 2017 6:42 pm
If you're not doing any other movements or anything for this turn, you can pick up your bow and get a shot off.
Jan 3, 2017 7:11 pm
Also, I am curious if Domarc's "female" voice is more Monty Python or more Kids in the Hall.
Jan 3, 2017 7:15 pm
Leth, seeing the guards incapacitated and the bad guys getting away, quickly reaches down for his bow and tries to get off one last parting shot at Adan.
OOC:
edit for Precision strike!
Quote:
When you make a weapon attack roll against a creature, you can expend one superiority die to add it to the roll. You can use this maneuver before or after making the attack roll, but before any effects of the attack are applied.

29/37 HP
Last edited January 3, 2017 7:17 pm

Rolls

Arrowing! - (1d20+7, 1d8+4)

1d20+7 : (5) + 7 = 12

1d8+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

Precision Strike - (1d8)

(6) = 6

Jan 3, 2017 7:30 pm
Quote:
Also, I am curious if Domarc's "female" voice is more Monty Python or more Kids in the Hall.
Sir, you wound me! Think more like Nathan Lane in the Birdcage.
Jan 3, 2017 7:33 pm
Leth scrambles for his bow as Adan takes off, nocking, drawing, and releasing as the cultist takes magical flight, aiming by instinct more than sight. The arrow whistles through the night air.

The arrow strikes Adan square in the chest. He wobbles there in the air for a moment, a look of dull surprise on his face, and then his spell fails. Bound by the laws of gravity again, he falls straight down, landing on his back, his head bouncing against the ground with a nauseating sound. Another, smaller impact follows, as his beetle familiar joins him in descent and death.

The false acolyte staggers over to him and throws himself on top of Adan's body, probing at his neck and chest, chanting -- to no avail. The priestess of Erat rushes forward to join in, kneeling over him, as the stricken guards help each other to their feet, trembling in pain from their arcane wounds.

The angry mob from the temple steps swarms over Darux, beating him senseless as Domarc extricates himself from the old woman's grasp and slips away.

From the streets to the west you see approaching torchlight: more guards must be on their way. The black-cloaked man, still floating high overhead, looks down and shakes his head, muttering something inaudible to himself before turning and soaring in a great ascending arc to the north, quickly vanishing from sight.

For now, combat is over. Any party member may act freely.
Jan 3, 2017 7:40 pm
Zangua returns his weapons to their loops at his belt. If he has an opportunity, the warrior attempts to reclaim the catchpole before trying to assist the guards.
Jan 3, 2017 7:51 pm
The priestess stands tall at Zangua's approach. "Stand back! I will brook no more transgressions of civility and order here! This man is no prize for you to loot." To the false acolyte, she points to the beat-down over by Ziu-Pater's temple and says: "Go and put a stop to that. I will attend to this one."

The false acolyte looks uneasy. "He was...my friend," he says quietly. "I do not wish to leave him."

The priestess looks pleadingly to the guards. The one who was not charmed takes a deep breath and jogs over toward Ziu-Pater's temple. The other guard stands there, leaning on his spear, looking lost and frightened.
Jan 3, 2017 8:00 pm
Zangua acknowledges the request, not eager to get in the way of a priestess who appears to have the backing of the guard. He looks to the confused guard and says while pointing at the false acolyte, "Arrest that one, if you're looking for direction. He was involved in the attack and should be detained." He then raises his hands to await apprehension.
Jan 3, 2017 8:05 pm
Felor moves towards Adan's body.
"Madam, this false acolyte was in league with a witch-cult! He must be detained and questioned, not sent on errands. I hazard Ziu-Pater would not stand to have one who consorts with demons defiling his temple."
Jan 3, 2017 8:17 pm
Leth sighs with relief as Adan falls lifeless to the ground. Their fight with the 6 pronged crown is far from over, but seeing one of their possible leaders be bested is comforting, in a way. The newcomer is worrisome, to be sure, but Leth now has tangible proof that they are quite mortal, and fallible - perhaps they have a hope of fully defeating this cult after all.

Now that the threat is over, Leth relaxes a bit, slings his bow across his back, and looks over at the others for any cues as to what they should do next.
29/37 HP
Last edited January 3, 2017 8:17 pm
Jan 3, 2017 8:20 pm
Zangua appears willing to be taken into custody. However, he keeps his eyes on the false acolyte lest the man attempt subterfuge.
Jan 3, 2017 8:21 pm
Domarc edges his way back into the square, keeping an eye on his friends and watching the crowd for anything odd or suspicious. Might be better off staying on the fringes here, in case I need to go for help.
Jan 3, 2017 8:31 pm
"I will not presume to understand what took place here or who is at fault," the priestess says. "If you would put yourself on the side of justice, then remain here, and do as the city guard commands, and give testimony at the proper time and place." Kneeling down again, she closes Adan's eyes and softly asks Erat to give him comfort and a warm hearth in the afterlife.

From the west, four more guards come running into the plaza. They spread out, spears at the ready, and slow to approach cautiously. "By Aitas's stones, what is going on tonight?" one of them asks nobody in particular.

"A man...flying..." the waiting guard babbles. "A sorcerer...struck us down...I..."

"A sorcerer? Come on, man."

"In Erat's name, he speaks the truth. I saw it myself," the priestess says.

"And fire-bells on the other side of the river, still ringing," the evident leader of the new cohort of guards muses. "There's likely a connection. Too strange for coincidence."

"Ho! These ones are armed," another guard says, waggling his spear-tip in the general direction of Zangua and the others.
Jan 3, 2017 8:36 pm
"Ask if he would place himself in the hands of justice," says Zangua, tipping his head at the false acolyte. He remains stationary, hands raised as a show of surrender. "He wears the robes of the faithful, but we have witnesses to his true actions. Mind his sorcery."
Jan 3, 2017 8:42 pm
Leth tenses up.

"Fire-bells on the other side of the river?" He asks, visibly worried.
OOC:
If Domarc and Mordred can get away from this, you guys should definitely go check in on House Gahmez! I'll bet anything that's where Count von Floaty is heading!
Last edited January 3, 2017 8:43 pm
load next

Thread locked