Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Jan 4, 2017 1:08 am
With his keen perception, Vhezyen doesn't have much difficulty sussing out the relative location of the fire; it has to be coming from the large, walled-off estates to the northwest, some of the most expensive real estate in Hazard. But whose house? Ibetbal? Gahmez? Cron? It has to be one of the big mansions burning, they probably wouldn't even bother with the bells if it was just a servant dormitory or something -- just tear it down quick before the fire could spread to anything that mattered.

A water cart passes him as he reaches the afflicted neighborhood and makes his way toward the fire. Servants from nearby houses race ahead of him, carrying empty buckets on loan from their masters. Guards trundle by with long hooks for tearing down structures burned beyond hope. It's not long before he overhears the answer to his question: it's the Gahmez house that's burning. That takes Vhezyen a bit by surprise. What could have caused such a conflagration in that great old mansion of stone?
Jan 4, 2017 4:59 am
Once away from the plaza, the party quickly regroups and makes their way to the nearest bridge over the Ophid. Guards and hoodlums alike take note of the party as they race as fast as they can through the waterfront district towards the Gahmez estate, but with word of manses on fire and strange creatures taking flight over the city and murders before the steps of the old temples, none bother to make the pursuit of five running men their priority.

Though none of you dared doubt that it was any other house but the House of Gahmez burning, the reality doesn't hit you until you stagger to a stop, breathless and sweat-drenched, before the massive crowd gathered at the estate's main gate. Guards, servants, neighbors, gawkers stand in noisy chaos outside the walls, while inside the great house burns like an enormous stone furnace, walls glowing from the fires within as black smoke streams upward. The servant's entrance has already collapsed into a pile of ash and embers. Though there are water carts and a bucket brigade at the ready, the futility of trying to douse the inferno contained within the stone walls, evident to all, has left them standing impotently outside the walls, watching as the flames consume what they will.

Not far from the gate, in the thickest knot of bodies, you see Chorcarz and a dozen or so of his immediate family and most trusted servants surrounded by guards and two watch captains. Some of them are barely dressed, most of them are weeping. Chorcarz himself, his face scarlet and twisted in a rictus of fear and fury, is leaning into Rolon's broad chest as if he can barely keep himself standing. Rolon, you notice, has a savage gash on the side of his face; his clothes are drenched with blood.

There are guards pacing along the estate walls, on the inner and outer sides, and a few prowling the grounds, searching. Near where the party comes to a stop, a scholarly-looking fellow is gently but persistently probing a man in an embroidered silk robe -- probably a neighbor -- with questions about whether the Gahmez family was in possession of any irreplaceable artifacts or relics that might be imperiled by the fire.

Chorcarz hasn't noticed the party's arrival yet. Conspicuously absent from the gathering outside the gate are Zora, Martjan, Shamush, and Vad.
Jan 4, 2017 10:12 am
"Should we talk to Chorcarz? I fear we may find the finger of accusation pointed at us, again. But perhaps he may know more about the Six Pointed Crown and that... devil... than he let on."
Jan 4, 2017 12:50 pm
"I was wondering the same, Felor, but I think we must take the risk if it means we can learn even the slightest clue about what has happened to our friends. Let's talk to him." Mordred casts his eyes at the conflagration for any signs of movement or life.

No one has any water or frost spells, do they? Mordred is exactly the wrong kind of guy to put out a fire. It might be pertinent to note that Mordred has Fire Resistance (1/2 damage from fire and presumably a greater tolerance for getting up close and personal with the flames?) in case that is relevant to anything.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Jan 4, 2017 2:20 pm
OOC:
From the description it's raging inferno and highly unlikely anyone could be rescued at this point.
No water spells here, unfortunately.
Jan 4, 2017 4:14 pm
Vhezyen's ears perk up. Six Pointed Crown? Devil? Suddenly his interest in valuables was abated by something far more intriguing. Although he had never encountered a devil, he knew they existed, having learned much on the subject from his studies. A devil's work might even explain how a mansion of stone was gutted by flame. Abruptly ignoring the silk-robed neighbor he had been questioning, he made his way toward the bonfire's most recent arrivals, who clearly weren't your typical citizens of Hazard, equipped as they were.

Mindful of social graces, more often than not he considered them a burden, unnecessary for societal function. Unsure of who exactly spoke the words he had heard, Vhezyen inserted himself into the conversation, addressing them as one. "Pardon me. While this may be a bit intrusive, I couldn't help but overhear one of you mention the word 'devil'." Having gauged them as more than your average sort, and not one for being timid, his curiosity led him out on a limb. "And, while many may consider them mere superstition, a tale to frighten children, the reality is far less comforting. They are, in fact, quite real." He gestured toward the Gahmez mansion as a point of reference."Although possible by more mundane means, this could very well be the work of a devil. Have you perchance seen one tonight?" Vhezyen's eyes widened imperceptibly in anticipation of an answer.

It would take dozens of coordinated mages to put that out. If the actual structure of the Ghamez mansion is 100% stone it's going to need some new furniture. Otherwise, parts of it might collapse when flammable components of the building (e.g., wooden interior walls and floors) are consumed, leaving it in ruin.
Jan 4, 2017 4:28 pm
Always vigilant, and curious, Vhezyen keeps his ears open, primarily eavesdropping on the important looking Chorcarz group nearby.

Rolls

Eavesdropping - (1d20+8)

(14) + 8 = 22

Jan 4, 2017 4:35 pm
"We've seen things you wouldn't believe..." Domarc mutters, shouldering past in an attempt to get to Chorcarz. "Safe houses on fire near the uncle of the Innocent. Beetles flying in the dark near the Shrine of Culsu..."
Jan 4, 2017 5:03 pm
Vhezyen and the party members can hear snatches of conversation from the citizens and officials conversing nearby:

"...twenty of them, give or take. We've recovered eight. Most of them had their heads bashed in by that outlander."

"All of it, everything. And little Horcra, oh, little Horcra. It's unimaginable..."

"...not a myth at all. It's said the Emperor of Saien is one. Now, that may be only a rumor, but the point is..."

"...something about a magic orb from Sthombo, or maybe a crown..."

"...haven't found a breach, that still wouldn't explain..."

"...I know, I know, but there were many witnesses. It flew, whatever it was."

"What? No, never heard that name before. Gorham?"

"...politically motivated. But I can't fathom why."
Jan 4, 2017 5:20 pm
Religion/History check (same modifier) - do I have any idea what Flying Man was?
Last edited January 4, 2017 5:20 pm

Rolls

Religion/History skill check - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Jan 4, 2017 5:26 pm
Flying Man was a human male of roughly forty years of age, ethnically Bloader/Engolan, as far as Felor could tell.
Jan 4, 2017 5:32 pm
Ezeriah says:
"And, while many may consider them mere superstition, a tale to frighten children, the reality is far less comforting. They are, in fact, quite real." He gestured toward the Gahmez mansion as a point of reference."Although possible by more mundane means, this could very well be the work of a devil. Have you perchance seen one tonight?"[/color]
"We saw something tonight, aye. Not sure what to make of it though. We were set upon by adherents to a witch-cult, up to some unholy business in the temple district. When we gained the upper hand, a... man flew down from the sky. I say man, clearly there was devilry at work unless you city-types can all fly off into the night like that. There's all sorts of dark sorcery at work here, and no mistake." Felor looks to the people milling about around them. "Seems he might have had his hand in this, too."
Jan 4, 2017 5:39 pm
Quote:
"All of it, everything. And little Horcra, oh, little Horcra. It's unimaginable..."
"An early death is the last Child's fate" Domarc says quietly.
Quote:
Most of them had their heads bashed in by that outlander."
Domarc turns at this, and tries to find the speaker.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Jan 4, 2017 5:41 pm
Domarc can trace the source of that dialogue to a watch captain and a guard standing near the Gahmez family.
Jan 4, 2017 5:46 pm
"Pardon me, Captain," Domarc says. "But you mentioned an outlander. I fear he may have been a friend of mine. Do you know where he is? Did he escape this?"
Jan 4, 2017 5:49 pm
Quote:
"And, while many may consider them mere superstition, a tale to frighten children, the reality is far less comforting. They are, in fact, quite real."
Seeing that the newcomer is a knowledgeable local and potential witness, Mordred decides to trust him for now. He pulls back his hood slightly, so that his red face and horns are visible to the two of them only. "You don't have to tell us about devils, friend, though I do not think that any of that kind were directly involved here. My companion speaks metaphorically. We know who is responsible for this, and why, but we may not be able to trust the authorities with that information just yet. Did you see what happened here?"
Jan 4, 2017 5:50 pm
Chorcarz looks up and glares balefully at Domarc after he makes his presence known, but does not speak. The watch captain points to the right of the gate. "Around the corner. I'll warn you, he's in bad shape."
Jan 4, 2017 5:57 pm
"Metaphor all you want, friend, but not all devils have horns. Some are men with a devil's heart. The end result is the same."
Hearing that their compatriot was injured, Felor heads around the corner.
Jan 4, 2017 6:06 pm
Around the corner of the wall surrounding the estate, kept separate from the throngs out front by a pair of guards, a watch captain, and a bald man in what looks to him like a city official's togs, Felor finds some familiar faces: Shamush, seated on the ground and leaning against the wall, covered in blood and staring vacantly ahead as if still in the grips of that fighting trance he sometimes slips into; Vad, upright but leaning on the wall beside Shamush, his clothes ripped and singed and his face bearing the telltale blistering and bruising patterns of arcane energy burns; and Zora, soot on her face and ash in her hair, looking up darkly as the city official talks at her, and holding a piece of black cloth or clothing tightly in her hands. She is the first to see Felor round the corner, and though she does not smile, you can see something like relief loosen her countenance and posture.
Jan 4, 2017 6:14 pm
Zangua notes that someone is missing, but does not mention the name aloud just yet. He follows the others around the corner to their compatriots.
load next

Thread locked