Chapter Four: The Manifest of the Harikan Squall

load previous
Jan 6, 2017 3:41 pm
Mordred promises to meet up with the rest of the party at the inn shortly, explaining that he is professionally obligated to check in with the local Guild upon spending the night in town. He suggests they eat without him, as he will pick up a few grubs and beetles along the way.

PBO, if you want me to roleplay the meeting with the Guild, we can take it to email or Twitter or something so as not to clutter up the thread - I'm fine if you just want to tell me what happens though.
Jan 6, 2017 3:48 pm
You can find some seedy establishments near the waterfront and flash gang signs at whoever's lurking around until you get a positive response, but at what point would you mention the string? To the first guildie you meet? Or would you ask for a meeting with someone higher up the ranks?

Rest of the party: will you be proceeding to the Caryatid?
Jan 6, 2017 4:04 pm
"The Caryatid sounds fine to me," Domarc says. "We need rest - and the one small bright side to this, it seems to me, is that for the moment we may not be of interest to anyone. From there, we can decide what our next steps may be. It is difficult to know. Mordred, before you go - did Zora say anything? Anything that be be a message or a pointer on what might help?"
Jan 6, 2017 4:20 pm
Having kept relatively quiet up until now, Zangua mutters, "Wasn't we at the shrine for something? Did we even get what it was we went for? I thought we was going for an elf on Vorch, but then we went all religious."
Jan 6, 2017 4:22 pm
"I'm afraid not, Domarc. I do have some ideas, but I want to see what the rumors are around the Guild before I say anything out loud. I'm sure you understand."

I'll ask the first person I meet if the Guild has anyone who does confidential translations. I tell them I've found a map that has a promising looking X on it, but I don't understand the instructions, and that I can pay.
Jan 6, 2017 5:15 pm
While the party discusses their next move, Shamush abruptly stands up, reaches into his pack, smears a handful of the Queen's white mold across his face, and without a word to anyone, starts walking south. Something about his bearing tells you all that it is pointless to go after him, and that you are not likely to see him again.

As dawn's rosy fingers claw their way into the sky, Mordred heads down to the riverfront area while Vhezyen leads the rest of the party to the Caryatid, not far away. The inn is a large, vine-covered stone building, taking its name from the massive column carved in the likeness of a giant woman set near its front doors, a salvage from some long-forgotten temple that must once have stood in Hazard. At this hour, the cavernous common room is nearly empty, occupied only by a teenage girl sweeping the floor and a man in elaborate clerical vestments sitting with his eyes closed before a steaming cup of tea at one of the long tables. At Vhezyen's request, the sweeper fetches the proprietor, and arrangements are made for room and board.

Vhezyen can get a good package deal from the proprietor; you all can stay here, with meals included, for 1 GP per day per character. The final bill can be settled in the next chapter, once we know how long you've stayed.

Meanwhile, Mordred makes his way down to the grittier neighborhoods around the commercial district. Though this is the hour when the underworld starts to make itself scarce for the day, the brothels and gambling dens here aren't hard to pick out, and after making guild gestures at a few passers-by Mordred gets a hit from a one-eyed lout of a man who returns the gesture and follows it up with one that means, roughly, you've got my attention, now what in the hells do you want, so Mordred sidles casually up to him and asks him about the "map" he needs translated.

The man smiles; only half of his mouth fully commits to the expression. "I know just the one for you, devilkin. It'll be two silver for a name and three more if you want to know where you're like to find her."

I assume Mordred would readily pay this modest fee. Deduct 5 SP from your inventory.

"Two streets out, by the fountain that an't working no more, house with the blue flowers. Ask for Leija and tell 'em your cousin Nordle sent yeh. Happy day, devilkin."

It takes a bit of searching to find the place -- turns out "out" means "in the direction away from the river" when you're giving directions in Hazard; Mordred learns something every day -- but once he stumbles upon the fountain with three dolphins back-to-back silently refusing to spit water up into the air as they must have done in days gone by, it doesn't take him long to find a grimy little two-level house next to a cobbler's shop with some rather crude-looking blue flowers painted on the upstairs window shutters.

Mordred knocks. No answer, but he can hear some muffled indications of life inside. He knocks again.

"Who is it?" somebody shouts from inside.
Jan 6, 2017 5:48 pm
Vhezyen's mind was considering possibilities, as it often did, as the tiefling's behavior was strange. Interesting. The tiefling needs to check in with the Hazard thieves' guild? Vhezyen didn't recall such obligations from his time as a member, just to be in the city. Now, if you were going to go about 'working' as a thief in Hazard, then you would be obligated to make your presence known before getting to 'work', and your intentions, known, as a way of making sure guild leaders got their cut of the profits. Given the sequence of events, it seemed extraordinarily unlikely that the devilkin was suddenly about to plan a heist.

Did the tiefling find something, or learn something? Now, at this hour, he runs off in the morning light to... plan crimes? Vhezyen didn't buy it.

Taking notice of the man in elaborate clerical vestments, Vhezyen looked for any identifying markers as to his faith or affiliation.

An Investigation check on the cleric, a deduction of his background. Rather than roll here, I'm going to use Vhezyen's Portent roll of 16 (+10 for Investigation) = 26 to check the guy out.
EDIT: Realizing Religion might be more appropriate, the same Portent could be used (+7) to get a 23 for the check.

Even if I didn't know the metagame around Mordred's activities, they would still seem rather strange, especially given the events of the evening and the timing of his departure.

And too bad Mordred is so secretive/untrusting of the party! Or perhaps it's just Vhezyen's presence. :)

Vhezyen might (and I say might) be able to give that string a look and roughly (?) translate it, or identify its origins (he is a Sage). He's got a lot of time with books and studies across multiple fields, and knows 5 languages in addition to common and thieves' cant. If anything, he also has the Sage Researcher background, and would likely have been able to direct us to a solution (especially given he would have a plethora of scholarly contacts in Hazard):

Ezeriah says:
Feature: Researcher
When you attempt to learn or recall a piece of lore, if you
do not know that information, you often know where and
from whom you can obtain it. Usually, this information
comes from a library, scriptorium, university, or a sage
or other learned person or creature. Your DM might
rule that the knowledge you seek is secreted away in an
almost inaccessible place, or that it simply cannot be
found. Unearthing the deepest secrets of the multiverse
can require an adventure or even a whole campaign.

Also, Vhezyen introduced himself to Mordred as an 'academic and dabbler in the arcane arts', so it seems possible Mordred could have asked him to take a look. But I get that Rocksteady is RPing Mordred's lack of trust. That makes sense :)

And yes, admittedly, as a player, I mention all of this because I would have really liked to help unravel the mystery behind the string, and built my character to do exactly these kinds of things! Just being honest!
Last edited January 6, 2017 5:59 pm
Jan 6, 2017 6:40 pm
Vhezyen is fairly certain this man is the Theodidact of Hur-Maz, one of the gods of Parz the Mezians introduced to Bload along with their countless local deities. The Parzian gods -- who many native Bloaders insist are dead or never existed, else why would Parz have come to such ruin? -- tend to be favored by the wealthy and intellectual elite, although the cult of Mit-Ratu, the god of oaths and contracts, flourished in Sthombo, of all places, probably encouraged by the law-and-order-minded rulers there.
Jan 6, 2017 6:45 pm
Quote:
Also, Vhezyen introduced himself to Mordred as an 'academic and dabbler in the arcane arts', so it seems possible Mordred could have asked him to take a look. But I get that Rocksteady is RPing Mordred's lack of trust.
Yeah, I originally thought to ask you, but decided Mordred wouldn't do that. I really wanted to, especially as I am worried I won't get a full rest before we get attacked/firebombed again, but I felt like this was most in-character. He's terrified that Zora could easily have ended up on the slab with poor Makis Meti, and he's really going to start keeping secrets now, I'm afraid. To be honest, I was hoping one of the other characters would twig to the fact that Mordred's excuse was pretty flimsy - as it gives them a chance to press him for the info when he gets back.

"Keep the change and forget you ever saw a devilkin tonight, friend. It might save your life." Mordred tosses his informant a full gold piece.

--

After knocking on the door, Mordred replies to the question, "Name's Rosco. My cousin Nordle said Leija has a way with words, and I've got a bit of a puzzle for her."
Jan 6, 2017 7:30 pm
From the other end of the door, silence. Then you hear a chuckle. A moment later, footsteps. The door swings open. Pungent comingled odors of smoke and incense, clinging to the heavy air inside, hit Mordred's nose rather forcefully. A gaunt, shirtless man with heavily kohl-rimmed eyes stands on the other side, beckoning you inside.

The air in the house is heavy with smoke and incense. It's cluttered with furniture, cups, jugs -- and people. Mordred counts at least six sets of eyes studying him as he stands in the doorway, and there seem to be a few more sleeping in whatever space they could find for themselves, too.

"Ey, everyone. Nordle's cousin," the man at the door says. This gets another chuckle from the people inside. "She's upstairs. Good luck waking her up." He points to the steep, rickety stairs to Mordred's left. There's a small man wrapped in a blanket seated on the stairs, cradling a wooden bowl. He's looking at Mordred, but makes no move to get out of the way.
Jan 6, 2017 7:39 pm
"Mind if I get by?" Mordred attempts to be polite and patient at first, but if the man won't respond, Mordred will attempt to carefully kind of tip-toe around him.

Rolls

Acrobatics - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Jan 6, 2017 7:58 pm
The man scoots himself about an inch closer to the wall, but Mordred manages to get around him without causing bodily offense.

The upstairs floor is partitioned into two halves by a blue-and-gold patterend curtain. The morning light bleeds through the painted shutters he saw from outside. A pile of clothes and blankets rests on a couch set against the wall, subtly rising and falling to betray the fact that a person is somewhere under there. Mordred tries to rouse her as unobtrusively as he can, saying her name, first at a normal volume, and then a little louder. The third repetition does the trick, and the pile whips around, blankets falling to the floor, as the person underneath suddenly becomes awake and alert.

To Mordred's surprise, the person underneath is a young tiefling woman, ochre-skinned, with short sharp horns and a gold ring in her nose. She blinks up at him, eyes darting, reaching with one hand under a pillow that isn't there for a weapon that also isn't there. "Who are you?" she asks.
Jan 6, 2017 8:18 pm
*waynes_world_dreamweaver.gif*

"Uh, I'm Mordred. Rosco! ... Mordred Rosco. You must be Leija. Um, I have something that needs translating. Have you ever heard of a language or code that involves... string?"
Jan 6, 2017 8:20 pm
"Translating?" the amount of annoyed perplexity she manages to put into that single world of her reply is astounding. "What does this have to do with me? Who sent you here?"
Jan 6, 2017 8:41 pm
*record_scratch.mp3*

Mordred visibly deflates.

"Hells, I'm sorry. I asked someone from the Guild about a translator and he told me he had "just the person for me'. Told me to come here and say that Nordle's cousin sent me. Seems like I've wasted your time. I'll take that money I gave him out of his back if I see him again."

Mordred starts to back out of the room, suddenly alert to the possibility that he has walked into a trap.
Last edited January 6, 2017 8:42 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Jan 6, 2017 8:46 pm
Domarc yawns and stretches as he examines the common room.

"Should we see if they have breakfast, gentlemen, before we turn in? I always find it helpful to go to bed on a full stomach when I see the sunrise before a pillow. And, I must admit, I would feel better if our friend wasn't off on a mysterious errand. We've lost enough tonight, I would sleep better knowing he was back."
Jan 6, 2017 8:52 pm
Leija sits up. "Nordle's cous-- oh. I get it. Nordle probably thought it'd be funny to send you to me because we're both...you know..." she gestures vaguely at her horns. "I'm not a translator, sorry. I can't read string code. Got any Mezian friends? Ask them." She leans down and pulls an empty chamber pot out from under the couch. "You can leave, now."
Jan 6, 2017 11:21 pm
Vhezyen smiled at Domarc's idea for breakfast, suddenly aware of his own hunger. "Breakfast is an excellent idea." He took a moment to request meals all around from the proprietor, with mulled wine if it was available. Returning, he spoke to the group. "That man with the tea over there is the Theodidact, or high priest, of Hur-Maz, who is one of the gods of Parz the Mezians introduced to Bload."
Last edited January 6, 2017 11:37 pm
Jan 6, 2017 11:30 pm
Whoops, sorry, I could have phrased that a little better -- that guy is just a high priest of Hur-Maz the Parzian god, basically. You've seen him at public events, recognize the outfit, etc.
Jan 6, 2017 11:35 pm
I see it now. Some editing is in order! What is Hur-Maz the god of?
Last edited January 6, 2017 11:38 pm
load next

Thread locked