Hello I an new to table top RPGs

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 8, 2022 1:45 pm
I have played RPGs on PC like Balders Gate, Elder Scrolls and Dragonage, but I have never been able to find the time for a group RPG game. I came across your site while researching D & D for my grandson. I would like to join some games but only know D&D at a basic level. Are there any other systems that are easier to learn? I would like an sci Fi environment if one exists.
Feb 8, 2022 1:52 pm
Welcome Stampman49.
I can't say much on other systems or how easy they are to learn, but I think you'll find the Pbp experience one that makes it easier to learn any game.
Feb 8, 2022 1:55 pm
Welcome to the site.

Bowlofspinach runs a short tutorial game to give you the feel of PbP (no doubt she'll be along in a minute to offer you a game).

I play only D&D 5th edition, so I couldn't say which games are easy to learn.
Feb 8, 2022 2:03 pm
DnD --or specifically 5e-- is quite an easy system to learn. If that is where you 'experience' is (even via BG), and if that is what you grandson (and his group?) are into, then there is extra benefit to sticking with it.

DnD does not do SciFi all that well, but you can branch out to Starfinder, which is based on Pathfinder, which is based on DnD (3e). It has a lot of good ideas. Or there may be other system that do SciFi more to your liking.
Feb 8, 2022 2:05 pm
... By, the way: What do you mean by 'SciFi'. That is a rather general term. If you have any genres, books, show, or movies you are interested in, we may be able to narrow it down to a system that does that.
Feb 8, 2022 2:05 pm
Welcome, Stampman!

If you want to see how GP functions, here are links to the New GP Member Guide, the forum rules, this video introduction made by user Qralloq and a little helpful formatting guide made by user Adam. You might also be interested in looking through some public games as well to get a feel for the site.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You're also invited to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

You already found my tutorial game and applied for it but you haven't psoted since then. Are you finding everything okay there? If not, le tme know and I'll help you out!

If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to contact any of the following moderators:

bowlofspinach
CancerMan
Dramasailor
Len
Naatkinson
Qralloq
Keleth (site owner)

Happy gaming!
Feb 8, 2022 2:23 pm
Welcome Stampman49. Hope you find some great games top try?
Feb 8, 2022 2:46 pm
Glad you found us, Stampman49! Let us know if we can help you find a game.
Feb 8, 2022 2:47 pm
Welcome to the community, Stampman49!
Feb 8, 2022 2:57 pm
There are tons of really nice rules-lite systems! But I would also be curious about what kind of sci-if you’re interested in!

Starfinder is based on Pathfinder (so like D&D 3.5) - and would be more of a space-battle, sci-fi adventure type story. Meanwhile there’s games like Mothership which is a sci-fi survival-horror, or Paranoia which is a satire dystopian sci-fi setting (which can be played pretty wacky or seriously depending on the GM).

There are also specific games for Star Wars and Star Trek too, though those might be heavy to get into first-try. It is definitely easier to narrow down if you describe a bit of what you would imagine playing/doing in a sci-fi game.
Feb 8, 2022 2:59 pm
Greetings and salutations!

What brought you over to PbP?

There are a bunch of systems that aren't hard to learn. They aren't usually as "crunchy" and rules-heavy as D&D 5e. Heck, there's been a renaissance of one or two page RPGs that are intended for short games, like a single night at a table. That would provide a few weeks' entertainment in a forum!
Feb 8, 2022 3:02 pm
Though, 'one or two page' RPGs are not necessarily easier to learn --merely quicker to read. The extra pages can be more beneficial to newcomers than they are to us old-hands. :)
Feb 8, 2022 3:04 pm
vagueGM says:
Though, 'one or two page' RPGs are not necessarily easier to learn --merely quicker to read. The extra pages can be more beneficial to newcomers than they are to us old-hands. :)
Admittedly, I've never played one, I always figured the shorter rules would be easier. Good to know! Is there a system you'd say is easy to pick up but fun?
Feb 8, 2022 3:17 pm
So much of that depends on how the player's mind work and what they enjoy. If it is 'fun' it is easy to learn, if it is 'fun' many don't mind hundreds of pages.

First Find Fun? That sounds like a motto. :)
Feb 8, 2022 4:38 pm
Quote:
Are there any other systems that are easier to learn? I would like an sci Fi environment if one exists.
Say no more!
[ +- ] Lasers & Feelings
Feb 8, 2022 4:39 pm
Welcome, Stampman! Very sweet of you to show such interest in your grandson’s Thing—people here are really nice, so this is a great place to get some understanding from the patient and kind!
Feb 8, 2022 4:52 pm
Hello and welcome!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.