4. A Beautiful Mine

load previous
Apr 19, 2022 9:58 pm
The walk back along the lonely road was not quite as lonely as it had been in the past, a fact that Anders regretted. It was clear that Bells had her heart set on that restaurant in Termalaine, with her constant huffing and side-eyes. It was strange, her silence was almost more loud than her singing. Anders couldn't help but walk a little faster to try to avoid the worst of it.

Stopping in his shack to swap out gear and give the dogs a few minutes to relax, he considers staying behind as the rest of his friends continued on to the town. With tea in the near future, courtesy of Bells, he takes the time to adjust his new boots. Fashionable, yes. Comfortable, not yet. As the woman asks about food for the dogs, he pops out of the shack to a protected box where he stored excess food, left in a frozen state. He tosses some elk meat out for them to enjoy, but notes how pitifully empty his box is at the moment.
Apr 20, 2022 6:18 pm
Blood freezes as the sight of the strangled woman appears, still partially buried in the snow. Anders calls the dogs to a halt, hoping to keep them away from the body, before approaching himself. Looking on the scene, his eyes grow wide and it is clear he is shocked by what he sees. "Do you know her?" His question goes out to the world, but is likely intended for Okto who seemed around the same age. Assuming this woman had died recently.

Eva

Adam

Apr 20, 2022 6:52 pm
OOC:
Only Okto knows this - but I want to keep this moving in case Okto doesn't post.
[ +- ] Eva Holfast
Eva
Apr 20, 2022 7:54 pm
OOC:
A little confused as to where everyone is, did we end up all staying at Anders' cabin for a bit and then continuing on to Targos altogether?
Okto sighs and wanders over to the frozen body, ready to dig up the poor soul trapped in Auril's rage and haul them back to Targos for a proper funeral, but he freezes as he recognizes the face, then recognizes the symbol on the hand. He falls to his knees, and begins to tear up.

His adam's apple begins to swell, which is noticeable in his voice, "Unfortunately, aye." Being of the same age in a small close-knit town such as Targos, she and Okto had known each other well. They thought it fun sometimes to cheekily tease each other as they unloaded the day's load from the ship, him about her romance novel obsession and her about his evergrowing collection of lucky charms, some of the only times he saw her break from her shy shell. Of course, the jokes persisted when other sailors were around, but when they would hang out on the docks for a drink or two alone together or with a couple others their age, Okto would love to dig in to her newest steamy novel with her and gossip about the other boys and travelers in town. To see her here in this condition was heartbreaking, yet another light snuffed out of these shrouded lands. The markings on her hands wrack his head, and he can feel his own hands burning along with hers.

Okto, choking back tears, explains to the group who she was, her disappearance, and what the markings on her palms mean. "This'll break her father for sure, but he deserves to know the truth. We should load her up, gently."
Last edited April 20, 2022 8:18 pm
Apr 20, 2022 8:56 pm
Strangely, Anders keeps a side berth from the frozen woman. He hadn't known her, but that didn't matter here. He noticably avoids looking at her. "Does that mark mean anything to anyone?" The snowflake reminded him of Auril, but there were very few worshippers of hers. And, from his experience, those few worshippers tended to wait and see how one's fate fared in the winter, whereas this was quite proactive.
Last edited April 20, 2022 8:59 pm
Apr 20, 2022 11:59 pm
OOC:
My take on the events of the day were we all left Termalain together after we had sled lessons so everyone should be able to operate it. We did not have lunch at fancy restaurant. When we arrived at Anders we all took a break and warmed up with tea and fed the dogs. We are now headed toward Targos to go shopping when we find the body.
Apr 21, 2022 12:05 am
OOC:
You think your day is going rotten? :)
Apr 21, 2022 12:48 am
Hearing the dogs whine, Bells eye's squinted to pick out a dark stain in the pristine rolling mounds of snow. What was that? Raising her hand to block the fading sun's glare, Bells face contorts in horror, Do you see that? Look! I think it's someone's hand. Bells starts forward before starting to turn away before advancing to the body. Anders asked the question that was on all of their mind. Who was she?

Okto answered the question but answers brought no comfort. Poor soul, too delicate for this life. May you find peace. Yes, let's treat her gently. Holding the reigns Bells controls the dogs until Miss Holefast was loaded on the sled.

With such evidence before her, the bard broke her silence, On the first night in Targos a dwarf...Graendal's friend, Hlin Trolbane called me over offering me a bounty on the head of a serial killer. Her description matches what we are viewing. The worst part is the assailant isn't unknown. I have a wanted poster I will show you. Can you believe the audacity? Clearly such a man needs to be stopped.

As Bells began sorting through her belongings to find the poster, the Sending stone slid across her hand. A furrow marred the bard's forehead as something seemed...silent. No. Worse than silent. Empty. Gentlemen, we have a problem! Something has happened to Zin because he is no longer connected to this stone. Looking down at the body, Bells scans the road toward Targos before looking the opposite direction toward the unknown town but the only clue they had for Zin's location. I no longer think we have the luxury of time even if it puts us on the road at night or this might not be the last dead body we find. The dead can wait but the living can not!
Last edited April 21, 2022 12:49 am
Apr 21, 2022 2:26 am
"Agreed Bells, Zin must be our priority at the moment, but this..." Rayne looks at the frozen body, "...This can't go unpunished. I understand that life this far north is cruel and can be swift, but Auril doesn't need any help. Lets continue on and we can see what can be done to help find the responsibly party once we find Zin."
Apr 21, 2022 2:43 am
Several emotions flash over Anders' face, as much as he tries to control them. Perhaps shame? Resolve? It's hard to tell with this man. "Agreed. This will be a priority once we see what he needs. There is very little for us to do here, the trail is non-existent. Perhaps asking around town will give us some clues. Because you are right, justice must be served. He hurries to catch up with the sled that has begun to move again and hopes for an uneventful remainder of their trip.

Jestin

Adam

Apr 21, 2022 6:45 am
OOC:
Your characters will have at least a couple of days until you'll hear about Zin.

I'll leave it up to you. You can get involved and interact with Targos, or just post something to let me know how you spend the next few days.

Jestin
The Triglio is the general store. The proprietor is a thin, middle-aged man named Jestin, who fished the lake until his left hand was crushed in a collision with a rival boat from Termalaine.

The Triglio sells foodstuffs, sackcloth, candles, lamp oil, snowshoes, wagon wheels, and other necessities from the PHB (at PHB prices). Jestin doesn’t sell is fishing or sailing supplies—in Targos, all such goods are supplied by speciality crafters and merchants.

Targos is the second largest of the Ten Towns. Ask me if there are other services that you require.

There are stables/kennels near the gates that will care for your dogs.
Apr 21, 2022 6:45 pm
OOC:
I want to track down Graendel, I'll assume I can find him at Ma's to move it along a bit
Rayne walks into Ma's tavern and it feels oddly a bit like coming home. Most of the other patrons, while not overcome with joy at the return of the local heroes, give him welcome looks and friendly nods.

Ma greets him with her characteristic charm, and Rayne asks "Graendal around?". Ma nods to a booth to the side and asks "Can I get ye somethin'?" she asks with a smile, and then adds under her breath, "ye vermin-addled half wit."

Taking it in stride, he replies "I'll take one of your special blubber teas, and some stew if you have it" and Ma shuffles off to get his order.

Rayne sits down heavily at the table across from Graendel, trying the wake the snoozing dwarf. Graendel's eyes open up and it takes a minute before he comes to his senses and recognizes Rayne sitting across from him.

"Morning Graendel, hope all is well." Rayne says as Ma delivers his order and he nods to her in thanks.

"Aye, well enough. No more troubles with deliveries." Graendel replies, "I imagine your absence from Targos has been an exciting one, care to entertain an old dwarf with a tale of adventure?"

Rayne smiles and he tells the tale of the group's time in Termalaine to the dwarf and the two chat amiably for a bit as Rayne enjoys his tea and stew. After answering the dwarf's questions, he gets to the bit about the crossbow that bore Graendal's makers mark,

"It was quite a fine crossbow, but unfortunately the asking price was beyond my reach. MIght you have any other crossbows around, either at your workshop or for sale locally in Targos that I could take a look at?"
Last edited April 21, 2022 6:47 pm
Apr 21, 2022 7:19 pm
Anders follows along with the dark-clad warrior, not for the joy of his company but rather the absence of company. He (and his headache) respected the silence in which this man clad himself. As Rayne orders the food and drink, Anders gestures for the same meal. Practical, and tasty enough.

He finds his mind drifting as Rayne begins chatting with the elderly dwarf, not being one to recount his own adventures. His mind goes to the fencing, water, and food-storage he will need for the dogs. Before too long, his meal was finished (and the top of his mouth scorched), and he nods politely to both Rayne and Graendel before he departs. Heading to the general store, he asks for advice about kennels as he purchases some basic supplies, as well as a handful of staples to restock his shelves. After all, he had been receiving guests more often.
OOC:
I don't need to roleplay this whole discussion, just stating what Anders is doing. He plans on purchasing some gear and perhaps heading back to the shack for the night, taking the dogs if the group allows.
Apr 22, 2022 1:00 am
OOC:
Don't think Okto would wish to spend multiple days in Targos, since Zin is missing and IC I don't see a reason not to speed along to Good Mead, but I will at least describe the first little bit in Targos to keep us moving.
Along with Bells' help, Okto loads the terribly preserved body of Eva, a dear friend, into the dog sled, and continues the cold, sad trek back to Targos.

Upon arrival, Okto first leads the sled to the old Speaker's house, making sure the body is covered in furs and tarps as they travel through the snow-covered city streets. He takes a moment standing at the front door of the small abode, wishing to be anywhere else. Finally, Okto knocks, politely requests to come in and for Giandro to take a seat, then sadly and gently delivers the news to Giandro, offering the man anything he needs, food, a drink (thinking he could use a couple himself), funeral rites in the morning (ceremony spell), anything. Silently to himself, Okto offers revenge.

As they leave the Giandro's, Okto turns to Bells with wrathful, roiling storms in his eyes and literal lightning arcs bouncing between his tusks, "Do you know where we can find Hlin? Do you think she has any more information on this bounty?"
Last edited April 22, 2022 1:01 am

Graendel

Adam

Apr 22, 2022 10:48 am
Graendel nods along to Rayne's description of the fine bow, although it's not obvious whether that's agreement or palsy. He slowly dresses in his heavy furs and shuffles off to his workshop, glancing up occasionally to check Rayne is following him.

In the workshop, he roots through his materials until he emerges with a thing.

The crossbow in Termalaine was ornate; it screamed wealth and excess. This is the opposite. It's not poor or shabby. It's.... 'minimal'. Yes, that's the right word - minimal.

It's as if someone started with a crossbow and then took away everything that wasn't essential - a crossbow in shorthand with all the vowels missing. The limbs are a strange metal and the stock is positively skeletal.

If his other work was a beautiful paragraph then this is a deadly efficient single exclamation point.

"It's about the materials, you see? They have a natural grain, a way that they want to be worked. Back in the day, we used to carve runes into everything, but if you keep carving you end up with just the runes. My mate Stokely, Dain now, haven't seen him in years. His daughter, Helda, brings me ores from Mithril hall. Stokey used to say, 'Nowt but edge'. That stayed with me..."

The old craftsman continues nattering about the old days, leaving Rayne to look over the weapon.

It's light and folds away, but with a flick of the wrist, some clever cams use the bowstring's tension to allow it to be used straight away.

"...I'd hate to let it go. Can't get the metals now, you see?

But pay me whatever Jestin is charging, and if you find yourself in the Spine of the World, see if you can't find me some more of the metal. Remarkable metal. Light and strong. Helda gave me a rough position of the metal's source. Scattered about it was. Dangerous down there. She only found fragments before an ice troll showed up."

Graendel

Giandro

Adam

Apr 22, 2022 11:06 am
aquafina says:
...and gently delivers the news to Giandro...
Okto sees the light of hope die in Giandro's eyes. It's an instant yet cruel death. Where once was a man, now sits a lifeless husk. His heart continues to beat, his lungs breathe, and his blood pumps, but Giandro will never again live.

But politeness is an autonomic function. Giandro shakes Okto's hand, and thanks him for bringing the news.

As Okto leaves, Giandro stays seated in his chair staring blankly and impassively at nothing. Giandro's not staring into the abyss, how could he? He's already there.

Giandro
Apr 22, 2022 7:01 pm
How to tell someone to live when the one they were living for was gone from their mortal shell? The murderer had left more than one victim when he killed the beloved romantic dreamer, Eva. Sephek had murdered what was left of a family with the unlucky one left behind still having to go through the motions of the living.

Darkened drops of tears decorated Bells' blouse. The poor father too hollow to cry and Okto too enraged. Someone should cry for lost innocent souls gone too soon and the task fell to her. Before leaving the bard offered a song of prayer along with her condolences. Tonight such things did not matter but a time might come when a father would look back in regret that things were not done right. If that time came, the prayer would be a comfort in that moment.

Leaving the house did not seem to put the matter behind them for Okto. His agitation only seem to grow without the restraining presence of Eva's father. At first, Bells thought it a play of the light but then she caught it again. Arcs of lightning, actually, jumped between the half-orc's tusk.

Placing a hand on Okto's shoulder, My friend, do not rage consume you. Hlin spoke that this Frostkind was a tricky one taking all of our wits to locate him much less capture. Rage makes fools of us all so think not react.

Looking about to make sure no ears could capture the conversation, Now Hlin did say she would be in Targos...perhaps we could leave word with ma but she offered 100 gp for his head.... I think that shows motivation so why withhold any pertinent information. Probably a dead end BUT....I now remember her saying he traveled with a dwarf merchant named Torrga. What if we went to the dwarven quarter and see who she has been supplying and when the next shipment might be expected? Like I said, we need to be clever so maybe asking the night she was found is a bit obvious or maybe I am overthinking and now is the perfect time before everyone knows. Maybe Graendal would know what kind of merchandise she deals.

Bells shrugs her shoulders, "I doubt we will gather enough information to find them tonight and we have that other issue to deal with in the morning but maybe it would be a start."
Last edited April 22, 2022 7:03 pm
Apr 22, 2022 11:31 pm
Rayne takes the crossbow from Graendel and turns it over in his hands. "It's perfect. While the bow in Termalaine was a fine speciman, I was honestly not looking forward to lugging it around through the cold wastelands. I'll take it.". Rayne hands over some gold and thanks the dwarf again before taking his leave, agreeing to keep an eye out for more of the metal making up the bow if he gets close to the location Graendel indicated. He then continues on to the town store to buy some bolts for his new bow.
OOC:
Ooo, it's awesome! I love the minimal aesthetic. I think PHB would put it at 25gp?
Last edited April 22, 2022 11:31 pm
Apr 23, 2022 5:11 am
OOC:
If Bells is gathering information, can I get an appropriate skill check that fits what she has in mind? Let me know how she's gathering information and show me some dice. The higher you roll, the more information I'll give you.
Apr 23, 2022 9:25 pm
Graendal's face wasn't the only familiar face Bells saw through the shop window. Apparently, Rayne had not only located the older gentleman but a desired piece of weaponry made from this master craftsman. From the way the man was looking down the sights while caressing the barrel, Bells knew it was too late to offer to negotiate as it was obvious the man was in love.

Thank the gods, the merchant was the dwarf or Rayne might leave in his skivies. Opening the door, I'm jealous! Have you ever looked at me in such a manner? teased the bard. Nice score. Somehow this piece really seems to reflect you.

After admiring the crossbow, Bells confirmed that Okto and her had accomplished the sad task of delivering Eva to her father. Bells took up the sad telling of the event to the elder dwarf before continuing with, A serial murder is out there stalking victims but as of yet has been too wiley to be caught. Your friend, Hlin made me aware and our group has intentions of looking into stopping him. I would appreciate your discretion and perhaps a bit of information. Do you know a merchant named Torrga and what kind of merchandise she deals? Who in town she might trade?

Armed with names and locations, a plan forms in her mind. Bells opens up her chest. With the magic of make up and artfully arranged material the bard goes from a striking young woman to a haggered pregnant wench. Patting her rounded stomach, then inquires, Do you think the dwarves will be sympathetic that the dirty Sephek forsook his family responsibilities leaving a babe in my belly? I really need to find him without him running away to press him to do right by the wee bairn.
[ +- ] Tools
OOC:
I thought the Disguise kit would give me advantage to performance roll. I then wasn't sure if Performance roll then would give me advantage on Persuasion roll so I rolled twice in case it did.
Last edited April 24, 2022 6:26 am

Rolls

Bells: Performance (advantage) - (2d20H1+5)

(716) + 5 = 21

Bells: Persuasion - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Bells: Persuasion - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.