Hello There!

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 6, 2022 8:08 am
Hello all!

Long time play-by-post GM on another site, but heard good things about this site and its community, so I wanted to come check it out for myself. Still adjusting to the user interface, as it's quite different than the one I have used the past 13 years, but liking what I see so far.

About me: I have played RPGs for a long time (38 years...time flies!) and primarily play fantasy RPGs. I have played many other types of RPGs over the years, all different genres, but have the most experience with the fantasy genre, and specifically, Dungeons and Dragons (all editions) and its variants.

My gaming preferences have evolved over time, but in general, I prefer games with less mechanical complexity and less emphasis on character builds, magic item acquisition, and system mastery. Specifically, for play-by-post, I prefer old school games, as I find them easier to manage due to less rules complexity.

Games I am currently running:
1st edition AD&D play-by-post game on another site
5th edition D&D Dragon Heist on Roll20 (campaign about to conclude)
5th edition D&D campaign for my kids and their friends
Castles & Crusades Open Play game on Roll20

Games I am currently playing:
Runequest "One shot" that has turned into what will likely be three sessions

At any rate, going to browse a bit more to get a better feel for the community and layout. Hopefully will get to game with some of you in the future.

~pawndream
Last edited March 6, 2022 9:01 am
Mar 6, 2022 8:22 am
🐋 come aboard old timer! :D
Mar 6, 2022 8:31 am
Welcome to the community, fellow greybeard!
Mar 6, 2022 8:44 am
General Kenobi!

If you want to see how GP functions, here are links to the New GP Member Guide, the forum rules, this video introduction made by user Qralloq and a little helpful formatting guide made by user Adam. You might also be interested in looking through some public games as well to get a feel for the site.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You're also invited to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

I also run a beginner's game as a quick introduction to GamersPlane and play-by-post, if you're interested.

If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to contact any of the following moderators:

bowlofspinach
CancerMan
Dramasailor
Len
Naatkinson
Qralloq
Keleth (site owner)

Happy gaming!
Mar 6, 2022 9:52 am
Welcome Aboard!
Mar 6, 2022 10:26 am
Welcome to GP!
Mar 6, 2022 11:36 am
Welcome!
Mar 6, 2022 5:16 pm
Welcome to the community, pawndream, it's a great one. There are a bunch of us here a little long in the tooth, and with loads of PbP experience on other sites, and who like old school games. (Or in my case, long in the tooth, experience on other sites, and certain OSR games with some lovely modern DNA in them. :) )
Mar 6, 2022 5:36 pm
pawndream says:

My gaming preferences have evolved over time, but in general, I prefer games with less mechanical complexity and less emphasis on character builds, magic item acquisition, and system mastery. Specifically, for play-by-post, I prefer old school games, as I find them easier to manage due to less rules complexity
This is me too! Welcome to GP.
Mar 6, 2022 5:57 pm
Thanks again all for the warm welcome!
Mar 6, 2022 5:59 pm
Welcome!
Mar 6, 2022 10:28 pm
Welcome pawndream. What kind of old school games catch your fancy?
Mar 6, 2022 11:46 pm
Qralloq says:
Welcome pawndream. What kind of old school games catch your fancy?
For play by post and broadly speaking, I look for fast and loose games with an emphasis on action and exploration. It's not that I don't like roleplay--I do. However, I find I am more engaged in play by post games when there is more emphasis on doing stuff rather than talking about doing stuff, chewing scenery, chatting with NPCs and other PCs, and telling tales in the tavern, etc.

As far as game systems, I am partial to old school D&D in all its variants, as I find they work really well in this format. So, that would be 1st edition AD&D, 2nd edition AD&D, Basic D&D (B/X, BECMI, Rules Cyclopedia)...and all the OSR titles out there that are basically the same game, with serial numbers filed off e.g., Castles & Crusades, Labyrinth Lord, Basic Fantasy RPG, Old School Essentials, Swords & Wizardry, OSRIC, etc. I consider all of these to be the same game for the most part, with minor variations.

Len

Mar 7, 2022 2:10 am
Welcome, pawndream!
Mar 7, 2022 2:21 am
That's great. A lot of cool retroclones out there.

While I like old school play, I have vowed to Vecna never to play AD&D again. Even still, I'm playing a game of Old School Essentials and really enjoyed Beyond the Wall. I'm more interested in OSR play from newer systems. 5e hacks like Black Hack, Five Torches Deep, or What Lies Below, or other systems like Forbidden Lands (Year Zero Engine) and Ranges of the Midden Vale.

I think you'll find the community here robust enough to be really interested in playing either retroclones or other OSR stuffs.
Mar 7, 2022 3:38 am
Qralloq says:
That's great. A lot of cool retroclones out there.

While I like old school play, I have vowed to Vecna never to play AD&D again. Even still, I'm playing a game of Old School Essentials and really enjoyed Beyond the Wall. I'm more interested in OSR play from newer systems. 5e hacks like Black Hack, Five Torches Deep, or What Lies Below, or other systems like Forbidden Lands (Year Zero Engine) and Ranges of the Midden Vale.

I think you'll find the community here robust enough to be really interested in playing either retroclones or other OSR stuffs.
I'm curious as to why you've sworn off AD&D?

I have some ideas, because there are certainly aspects of AD&D that annoy me, but they are easy to ignore or house rule away.

Re: the newer OSR systems (I think the term I've seen used for these is OSR-adjacent), I am only familiar with these by name and don't have any play experience with any of them. I will definitely keep an eye out for any games that look promising.
Mar 7, 2022 4:38 am
The truth is truth is simply that I discovered some really great games, but my gaming group was fixated on AD&D 2e, which felt limiting, poorly constructed, and mired in weird patterns. Rather than try new things, they wanted to just play elves with long swords (+1 facial bonus you see).
Mar 7, 2022 6:41 am
Elven facial bonus for the win!

(Swore off AD&D in 1988/89 here, haven't looked back. :) )
Mar 7, 2022 8:42 am
Quote:
For play by post and broadly speaking, I look for fast and loose games with an emphasis on action and exploration. It's not that I don't like roleplay--I do. However, I find I am more engaged in play by post games when there is more emphasis on doing stuff rather than talking about doing stuff, chewing scenery, chatting with NPCs and other PCs, and telling tales in the tavern, etc.
Oh no, I found my direct opposite 😄
Mar 8, 2022 12:50 am
Hello and welcome!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.