New player, typical post expectations?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 26, 2022 2:44 am
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site. I've tried a few PbP sites over the years. I am excited to try it out, it looks like there is a great community on here.

What would you say is the typical post expectation on here?

In some games, players are only expected to write a few lines. I find these are often just "action" posts that don't have much internal narration or characterization. Mostly things like "Jeff swings his sword at the goblin" and then a roll.

In other games, players are expected to write a few paragraphs - when reasonable - and has an emphasis on creative writing, character arcs, and a certain depth of character you don't usually get in shorter posts, and especially not in tabletop (in my experience.)

What would you say this site's typical culture is? Former? Latter? A bit of a blend?

I've played and enjoyed games like the former in the past, but I lean more toward the latter. PbP is sort of my way to get my TTRPG itch + creative writing itch out at once :)

My favourite genres are historical settings, especially Western. I like fantasy, post-apoc, and some sci-fi. I also really like "supernatural" stuff, though I'm not very big on "superheroes" unless it's low level. I also love pulpy crime stuff like Dog Town RPG but it's... admittedly kind of niche.
Mar 26, 2022 3:02 am
Welcome! As for your question, it totally depends on the players and GM. Some prefer a more simple hack and slash style and maybe have busy lives, while others have more free time and maybe fewer players so they can write more. Also depends on the system a bit too. You can always browse the public games to see some examples!

Len

Mar 26, 2022 3:07 am
Welcome to the community, Bananabread! There are games of all kinds here with many different expectations, but people are pretty good at putting that up front. I'd guess that 1 post per day is the most common frequency goal I see advertised, and you can find games that run the gamut from "I swing my sword" to heartbreaking works of staggering genius.

I'm sure you'll find a game with a group that matches your style in time.
Mar 26, 2022 3:23 am
Thank you for the welcome. I've been looking through the games list and there looks like a nice variety :)
Mar 26, 2022 3:37 am
GamersPlane has a great variety of games & gaming styles. It can be a bit of a blend of the gaming/writing styles you mentioned above with the pace and depth of writing really varying with the particular game, mechanics, and even pace of play within a game.
Combats are often shorter, direct posts so the action doesn't get lost in the prose but when the action slows the prose tends to dominate and posts usually get longer and more fluid.
I think it'd be pretty easy to find a game to match your mood and preference. Definitely try @Bowlofspinach 's tutorial game to get a feel for how the site operates and hit up the DISCORD to get to know the community a bit better.
Mar 26, 2022 5:27 am
Welcome, Bananabread!

For your question, I'd say GP is in the middle but leans a bit more towards shorter action posts in general. But that also really depends on the GM and game. As nezz said, teh best way to figure it out might be to browse some public games, either from here or here.

If you want to see how GP functions, here are links to the New GP Member Guide, the forum rules, this video introduction made by user Qralloq and a little helpful formatting guide made by user Adam.
If you have any questions about how to use the site, you can put them into our Questions and Help subforum.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You're also invited to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

I also run a beginner's game as a quick introduction to GamersPlane and play-by-post, if you're interested.

If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to contact any of the following moderators:

bowlofspinach
CancerMan
Dramasailor
Len
Naatkinson
Qralloq
Keleth (site owner)

Happy gaming!
Mar 26, 2022 5:39 am
Hello and welcome.

From experience, I've noticed that about 3 posts per week per user seems to be the rough average here, with the occasional lull or spike in activity.
Mar 26, 2022 8:33 am
I don't have much more to add (aside from a welcome:), witchdoctor pretty much summed it up perfectly above.

Ask each game what their expectations are, each time. People here are forgiving and will tell you if they prefer a different style, so don't stress about 'getting it wrong'.

Being clear is more important than being eloquent, though.
Mar 27, 2022 3:33 am
Welcome, Bananabread!
Mar 27, 2022 5:51 am
Cool, thank you everyone for the welcomes, help, and input :D
Mar 27, 2022 11:25 am
Welcome! I prefer shorter and to the point posts. As a GM reading long paragraphs is tough, especially when you have 5 players.
Mar 27, 2022 9:34 pm
Hello!

For posting expectations, several times a week feels fair for most players, as others have noted, but I'd add that it fluctuates from one group to another.
Mar 31, 2022 1:08 pm
Welcome to the community, @Bananabread!

I'm a pastry chef. Banana bread was the first thing I ever baked. 37 years ago. Your username brings back warm and happy memories.
Mar 31, 2022 1:28 pm
Hi there,

Here are a couple of public games to give you an idea of what's usual:

The Wild Beyond the Witchlight (D&D 5e)
and
Traveler (Things from the Flood)
Apr 7, 2022 4:34 am
Cool, thank you everyone for the welcomes & advice

@Jabes.plays.RPG that is SO awesome. I love to bake for fun & have a huge amount of respect for people who do it professionally. It's so cool to me.

Glad my name could bring back some memories... for me, banana bread is one of the first things I baked as well. & it always reminds me of my mom, she used to cook it ALL the time when I lived at home. We'd run to the kitchen when it was done so we could eat it when it was hot. I still use her recipe :)
Apr 10, 2022 9:55 am
@Bananabread same here! Moms are the best! ❤

You do not have permission to post in this thread.