Ask Me Anything: the_cava

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

the_cava

bowlofspinach

Mar 26, 2022 10:44 pm
In an attempt to get to know the community and other users on GP better, we want to allow a different member each week to step into the spotlight.
You can find more information here.
About me:

Name: Davide
Pronouns: He/him
RPG Interests: Too many to list, from the Default rpg to obscure indie subversions and profanities, but always curious about new games. I'm fond of fantasy games, but cyberpunk is my favourite setting, and I found out PbtA games are definitely not for me (though I own a few).
Non-RPG Interests: Movies, anime, comics, cuisine.

This AMA will run until 02 April 2022.
the_cava
Mar 26, 2022 11:03 pm
What are some of your favorite comic recs? What genres do you prefer, or heroes if you like superhero? Marvel, DC, or Image (or another publisher)?
Last edited March 26, 2022 11:04 pm
Mar 26, 2022 11:48 pm
What is the attraction for you with cyberpunk game settings? Favorite cyberpunk game/setting?
Mar 27, 2022 1:52 am
What's your favourite little known thing about living in Italy?
Mar 27, 2022 3:55 am
What was the PbtA game and experience that finally made you say, non per me?
Mar 27, 2022 12:24 pm
aquafina says:
What are some of your favorite comic recs? What genres do you prefer, or heroes if you like superhero? Marvel, DC, or Image (or another publisher)?
Looking at my library I'd definitely say Image.
About genres, I have favourites, but it's not a defining factor for my choices, usually, though I have a soft spot for fantasy.
Speaking of that, I highly recommend Ted Naifeh' Night's Dominion and Marjorie Lju's Monstress, and I'm loving Kieron Gillen's Die as well. I'm a bit frustrated by the game development delays, though...

I could go on and on with recommendations, but then they would feel meaningless.
Mar 27, 2022 12:41 pm
witchdoctor says:
What is the attraction for you with cyberpunk game settings? Favorite cyberpunk game/setting?
The attraction came first with CP2020, mostly for the novelty with the setting, since until then it was fantasy or Cthulhu. Then, as we played, we caught on more and more on the critique, and it sparked ideas and discussions, while also giving us (at the time mere teenagers) a tool of interpretation for things outside the game as well.
Now there is a bit of nostalgia for those feelings, but I also like how in CP games you usually have a wider range of action to tackle things, and, of course, the style.
Because style is everything.
I just finished reading Walter Jon William's Voice of the Storm after Hard Wired and I find its setting absolutely awesome, but I think Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash is closer to what I usually play. There were also a couple Lorenzo Bartoli's short novels (under the pseudonym Akira Mishima) that really stuck with me at the time, Bambole and Overminder.
Mar 27, 2022 12:44 pm
Qralloq says:
What's your favourite little known thing about living in Italy?
The small surprises you find strolling around towns. An usual bas-relief there, frescoes high up in narrow streets that you have to crane your neck to see, details of very old buildings kept within newer ones and secret enclosed gardens in villas and townhouses.
Mar 27, 2022 12:55 pm
Harrigan says:
What was the PbtA game and experience that finally made you say, non per me?
It probably was when I MC'd Thirsty Sword Lesbians, I was having fun with the group, but the moves dynamic really grinds with how I play. It frames actions too tightly, and railroads the narrative too much for me.
The real frustration is I really like many settings and ideas that have been made with it, and I'm still looking for an alternative that gives the same feeling, but with more flexible dynamics.
On the other hand, that same structure makes them much more accessible and relatable for people curious about the hobby, and that's invaluable, imho.
Mar 27, 2022 1:24 pm
New users often say that they initially find GP confusing and difficult to navigate. How on earth did you manage it in a second language?

We seem to have a number of Italian players and games. Is this a fluke, or are RPGs particularly popular in Italy?

If you could change some things about GP, what would they be?
Mar 27, 2022 2:06 pm
So, what is The Cava Hack?
Mar 27, 2022 2:14 pm
Adam says:
New users often say that they initially find GP confusing and difficult to navigate. How on earth did you manage it in a second language?

We seem to have a number of Italian players and games. Is this a fluke, or are RPGs particularly popular in Italy?

If you could change some things about GP, what would they be?
I'm a new GP user, but I've been pbping for years, now, and, while there certainly are differences, it wasn't that hard to get the hang of it, after trying things out. English is my third language, actually, but I'm cheating a little, since I worked as freelance translator for a while with a British ad company (though always from home). One of the reasons I started pbping in English, though, was actually getting better with writing.
About Italian players, well, probably the stereotypical passion we put into things holds a kernel of truth, but rpgs are a niche of a niche here, to quote what local influencers say. Small, but loud. Sounds like another stereotype. Ah, well.
I wouldn't change anything in GP at the moment, mostly because I'm still getting the hang of it, but also because I'm not having any issues with managing games for now. I don't remember if I found other pbp sites more user friendly when I landed there, but it's true the first impact with GP felt a bit confusing, though it doesn't take long to get used to.
Mar 27, 2022 2:23 pm
bowlofspinach says:
So, what is The Cava Hack?
I'm writing a game of my own, it's still a draft I'm playtesting, but I'm translating the current version in English and I'll probably spam this forum as well as soon as I upload it.
It's my attempt at recreating the feel of metroidvania games in ttrpg format, a genre I'm rather fond of, and, after trying various games that attempted that same endeavour, I found none that tackled it the way I wanted to, so I took matters in my own hands. The first few playtests have been well received, and I'm still fine-tuning it, but I'm rather happy with the base structure.
Mar 27, 2022 2:25 pm
I'm definitely curious to see some of it when you do share it!
Quote:
English is my third language, actually
What's the second?
Mar 27, 2022 2:33 pm
bowlofspinach says:
I'm definitely curious to see some of it when you do share it!
And I will be looking forward to some expert feedback about it.
bowlofspinach says:
What's the second?
French. I grew up in Switzerland, and you start learning a second national language in elementary school. I also had to learn German in middle school in addition to English, but I never practised it, so I usually don't consider it.
Mar 27, 2022 3:11 pm
I heard good things about the Italian D&D setting 'Brancalonia' - have you ever played that / would you recommend it? Since it is set in a fantasy, comedic version of Medieval Italy, would it work for non Italian players?
Mar 27, 2022 3:32 pm
Dr_B says:
I heard good things about the Italian D&D setting 'Brancalonia' - have you ever played that / would you recommend it? Since it is set in a fantasy, comedic version of Medieval Italy, would it work for non Italian players?
I DM'd and played it and it is awesome! I especially like the tavern brawl non-lethal fight rules, and, while comedy is front and center, they did a wonderful job with the different nuances of every region. There's even a Ravenloft equivalent! You could really set a wide variety of tones, not just comic ones, and it lends itself really well to intrigue.
Something that might turn off some players is the "low-level" approach, since it borrows from the old Epic 6 houserule where characters only advance to level 6, and only get feat-like advances from then on, but it perfectly fits the setting.
Non-Italians would most likely miss at least 4 out of 5 jokes and puns, but I think it gives enough context and more than enough hooks for everyone to get the gist of it.
I mean, you might not know the trope about people living in the Alps area ad their love for grappa (a strong liquor), but the barbarian archetype that can overcharge his rages drinking different liquors gives enough of a hint, and is probably fun enough to play even if you don't.
Did I mention the art is awesome?
Because it really is.
Mar 27, 2022 7:41 pm
The E6 variant rules are amongst my favorite hacks for D&D.
Mar 27, 2022 9:32 pm
Best movie you think everyone should see? (And briefly, why?)
Mar 27, 2022 10:29 pm
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
Best movie you think everyone should see? (And briefly, why?)
Why don't you play in hell?
It's not the best movie I've seen, and it probably isn't even one everyone should see, but it's the first one that popped into my mind when I read your question.
This serious answer would be singing in the rain, because it's one of the oldest movies about how movies are made, and beautifully showcases how "movies" became "talkies", even though no one calls them that.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.