Hail and well met!

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 5, 2022 10:35 pm
Hello all!

I am a nurse who typically works 3 nights in a row per week which leaves me with 4 days to do everything else in life, including trying to have some rpg fun.

I am looking to run a PbP game of DnD 5e for my girlfriend and a couple of my closest friends who live in another town. I have dabbled in PbP via Discord but found the groups posting pace (essentially unlimited as everyone but myself worked from home) to be too much for me. I also found Discords format too be somewhat less than friendly when it came to reviewing past posts, hence my journey to GP.

I am open to any and all advice for how to get a simple one-shot going with my group, all of whom have little experience with DnD and none with PbP.

Cheers,

Samwise
Apr 5, 2022 10:40 pm
Hey! It's another famous person ;)
Welcome! Sam
Apr 5, 2022 11:19 pm
Samwise_Gamgeez says:
... groups posting pace (essentially unlimited as everyone but myself worked from home) to be too much for me ...
As the DM --or any player in the group-- you can set maximum posting (or really progress) stipulations on the group and say that they need to wait for you before doing more than X. A change of platform will not really help with this, it is not a technology problem but a social contract one.

Maybe if they are needing faster paced games than you can provide, they can run their own games, either instead or in addition to your slower game (you can teach them to DM:). You --and they-- might also be able to find games here that suit your timeframes.
Apr 6, 2022 1:28 am
Hello and welcome!
Apr 6, 2022 1:31 am
Welcome to the community, Sam!
Apr 6, 2022 1:46 am
Welcome Aboard! I think we have plenty of Lammas Bread and potatoes to go around for everyone.

PbP does let you set expectations for post speed via forum a bit better than via DISCORD. DISCORD has the feeling of an Instant Messenger whereas forum posts aren't really designed that way. There's plenty of experienced hands around to get and give advice on GamersPlane so I think you'll find plenty of people ready and willing to help you out.
Apr 6, 2022 1:49 am
Welcome!
Apr 6, 2022 2:05 am
Welcome!
Apr 6, 2022 2:06 am
Welcome to GP!
Apr 6, 2022 3:39 am
Welcome to the community, @Samwise_Gamgeez!

Len

Apr 6, 2022 3:51 am
Welcome, Samwise!
Apr 6, 2022 4:19 am
Welcome, Sam!

I'll just drop my usual list of links here. In your situation, not all of them are going to be helpful, but some might.

If you want to see how GP functions, here are links to the New GP Member Guide, the forum rules, this video introduction made by user Qralloq and a little helpful formatting guide made by user Adam. You might also be interested in looking through some public games as well to get a feel for the site.
If you have any questions about how to use the site, you can put them into our Questions and Help subforum.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You're also invited to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

I also run a beginner's game as a quick introduction to GamersPlane and play-by-post, if you're interested.

If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to contact any of the following moderators:

bowlofspinach
CancerMan
Dramasailor
Len
Naatkinson
Qralloq
Keleth (site owner)

Happy gaming!
Apr 6, 2022 4:53 am
Welcome!
Apr 6, 2022 5:55 am
Harrigan says:
It was your interview on How 2 RPG that lead me here :)
Apr 6, 2022 5:57 am
witchdoctor says:
Welcome Aboard! I think we have plenty of Lammas Bread and potatoes to go around for everyone.

PbP does let you set expectations for post speed via forum a bit better than via DISCORD. DISCORD has the feeling of an Instant Messenger whereas forum posts aren't really designed that way. There's plenty of experienced hands around to get and give advice on GamersPlane so I think you'll find plenty of people ready and willing to help you out.
I could go for some of Farmer Maggot’s mushrooms.

Thank you for the encouraging words. I’ve heard this is a wonderfully friendly place
Apr 6, 2022 5:59 am
bowlofspinach says:
Welcome, Sam!

I'll just drop my usual list of links here. In your situation, not all of them are going to be helpful, but some might.

If you want to see how GP functions, here are links to the New GP Member Guide, the forum rules, this video introduction made by user Qralloq and a little helpful formatting guide made by user Adam. You might also be interested in looking through some public games as well to get a feel for the site.
If you have any questions about how to use the site, you can put them into our Questions and Help subforum.

To join a game, keep your eyes on the Games Tavern, where GMs advertise their games and look for players.

You're also invited to join us on the Discord server for some friendly conversation, about the site, RPGs in general or anything else!

I also run a beginner's game as a quick introduction to GamersPlane and play-by-post, if you're interested.

If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to contact any of the following moderators:

bowlofspinach
CancerMan
Dramasailor
Len
Naatkinson
Qralloq
Keleth (site owner)

Happy gaming!
This is a veritable font of knowledge! Thank you!
Last edited April 6, 2022 3:38 pm
Apr 6, 2022 6:27 am
Samwise_Gamgeez says:
Harrigan says:
It was your interview on How 2 RPG that lead me here :)
Well, then I'm glad you a) weren't driven off, or b) didn't arrive leading a pack of angry villagers!
Apr 6, 2022 10:54 am
bienvenido!
Apr 6, 2022 11:25 am
Welcome! You're going to have loads of fun here.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.