Ask Me Anything: Aerth

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 9, 2022 6:40 pm
In an attempt to get to know the community and other users on GP better, we want to allow a different member each week to step into the spotlight.
You can find more information here.
About me:

Name: Aerth
Pronouns: He/him
RPG Interests: Pathfinder 2e, SWADE, Band of Blades, D&D 5e, Ironsworn, Knave, Torchbearer
Non-RPG Interests: Fantasy and science fiction novels, hiking, camping, TCGs, roguelikes/lites, Metroidvanias, boardgames, horror movies, EDM, rock music, anime

This AMA will run until 16 April 2022.
Aerth
Apr 9, 2022 7:04 pm
Totally unprepared questions:

How plausible would you think a game would be, themed after Alestorm?

Qralloq unearthed a metal themed(?) 5e homebrew that he ran as a one-shot (underlined purposefully ;) ). What's your opinion on such niche games/settings?

What would your advice be to someone only now getting into RPGs?
Apr 9, 2022 7:17 pm
Hi Aerth!
Got any EDM recommendations? I've been looking to add some more songs to my playlist.
Apr 9, 2022 7:19 pm
Antiproduct says:

How plausible would you think a game would be, themed after Alestorm?
I had to look up Alestorm because I'd never heard of them before. I'll have to give their music a listen. But at a glance, a pirate-themed metal band could absolutely be the BGM to a fantastic, action-filled game of 7th Sea or something. I'd totally run it, haha!
Antiproduct says:

Qralloq unearthed a metal themed(?) 5e homebrew that he ran as a one-shot (underlined purposefully ;) ). What's your opinion on such niche games/settings?
I think niche settings are where most RPG developers should be turning to, to be honest. I think the world of generic fantasy or generic science fiction systems is waaaaaay too bloated for a fledgling developer to try their hands at first. I'm a bigger fan of indie developers creating a system designed for a specific setting, and the more specific, the better, in my opinion.

As far as playing in a niche setting, hey, if you can find a handful of fellow fans of the same thing, go for it! If you DM it yourself I bet plenty of people with just a passing interest in the setting will still be willing to give it a try.
Antiproduct says:

What would your advice be to someone only now getting into RPGs?
I think I would tell them to try a lot of one-shots in a variety of systems. We all know about the classic problem of learning D&D 5e and then never trying out other games (I play it myself but would not consider it worth playing over PF2e or other generic systems). It's hard to convince someone to try another game first, but as a DM if I had a big group of new players I'd take them through one-shots of Torchbearer and PF2e and Blades in the Dark first before I exposed them to D&D.
Apr 9, 2022 7:25 pm
What's your avatar?

What's the best PF2e class?

Who's your favorite slasher movie villain?
Apr 9, 2022 7:27 pm
TheGenerator says:
Hi Aerth!
Got any EDM recommendations? I've been looking to add some more songs to my playlist.
DROELOE just dropped a new single called Aurora that I've been jamming to all morning.

Mat Zo's Illusion of Depth album isn't too new but I discovered that last year and it was my 2021 anthem album, more or less.

Otherwise my favorite artists (a lot of whom you are probably already familiar with) include Porter Robinson, Alan Walker, Diplo, Medasin, Timmy Trumpet, and dark cat.
Apr 9, 2022 7:35 pm
bowlofspinach says:
What's your avatar?
He's a Tamagotchi character named Kuchipatchi. My partner and I still have our Tamagotchi's and he's my favorite.
bowlofspinach says:
What's the best PF2e class?
I haven't had the chance to play it yet but I'm gonna say Oracle. A friend is playing it right now in our IRL campaign and I think it's one of the coolest, most flavor-heavy casters ever. I love the cost vs. benefit weighing you have to do when managing your curse.
bowlofspinach says:
Who's your favorite slasher movie villain?
Despite being a fan of horror movies, I'm ashamed to admit I am not well versed in slasher films specifically. I just watched the recent Scream movie and I've been meaning to go back and watch the old films. So for now I'll just say Ghostface. Or, if he counts, Candyman.
Apr 9, 2022 7:41 pm
Quote:
I haven't had the chance to play it yet but I'm gonna say Oracle. A friend is playing it right now in our IRL campaign and I think it's one of the coolest, most flavor-heavy casters ever. I love the cost vs. benefit weighing you have to do when managing your curse.
I love Oracle in PF1. Never played it in PF2

Len

Apr 10, 2022 1:08 am
Hi Aerth! What's your favorite thing about New Jersey? What are you reading right now / recently?
Apr 10, 2022 2:17 am
Have a favourite place to go hiking? A pic would be welcome here because I love to see what people come across while wandering the trails
Apr 10, 2022 2:33 am
Have you heard of St. Peters basketball team? 😀
Apr 10, 2022 5:05 am
Band of Blades?!

Soooo... when are you planning to run Band of Blades? =]
Apr 10, 2022 2:06 pm
Len says:
Hi Aerth! What's your favorite thing about New Jersey?
I gotta be real with you chief, I do not like NJ that much. Grew up here, and I think the best thing I can say about it is that it's safe as far as natural disasters go, and that's a stretch anyway. It's boring here. Hoping to move to Colorado within the next year or two!
Len says:
What are you reading right now / recently?
Right now I'm reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It's a good read, if a little weird. I'm a fan of the writing style. Recently I read Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts, which has solidified itself in my top 5 favorite books of all time. And I'm in the middle of the Death Gate Cycle books by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. That series took a while but now at book 5 I find the worldbuilding intriguing.
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
Have a favourite place to go hiking? A pic would be welcome here because I love to see what people come across while wandering the trails
My favorite recent hike was Mt. Washington. Last time we went there was inclement weather which made the hike a little too dangerous, next time we're gonna check the forecast before we go, haha! Here's a pic:

https://i.imgur.com/XI0uLUC.jpg
Windyridge says:
Have you heard of St. Peters basketball team? 😀
I have not, looks like they're a team from Jersey City? I'm from South Jersey. Also, I'm a football fan, not so much into basketball. Sorry!
Harrigan says:
Band of Blades?!

Soooo... when are you planning to run Band of Blades? =]
That's actually a great idea, I think BoB would probably run pretty well on PBP with its mission-based pacing. I'll see what I can brew up as I get more comfortable with PBP in general
Apr 10, 2022 2:13 pm
What's the attraction to moving to Colorado?
Apr 10, 2022 2:15 pm
St Peters is a college of about 2,000 students that made history at the NCAA tournament. True Cinderella team.
Apr 10, 2022 5:57 pm
witchdoctor says:
What's the attraction to moving to Colorado?
All my closest friends, people I consider my true family, have moved or are moving there. Also, I've wanted to move someplace with great hikes and mountains and nature for a while now. I love the idea of walking out onto my front porch and seeing mountains in the distance.
Last edited April 12, 2022 12:34 pm
Apr 10, 2022 6:11 pm
Got any favorite/guilty pleasure B-movie that you watch over and over again? Whatever you categorize as a B-movie.

Any supposed A-list movie that you consider to be below average?
Apr 10, 2022 7:52 pm
Antiproduct says:
Got any favorite/guilty pleasure B-movie that you watch over and over again? Whatever you categorize as a B-movie.
Creep (2014) is no joke one of my favorite movies. I love the focus on just a pair of characters and their dynamic. I also think the sequel is just as good, if not better.
Antiproduct says:
Any supposed A-list movie that you consider to be below average?
This is a tough one because I'm an easy man to please; it's rare for me to be really disappointed by a movie. I think my best answer is probably Eternals (2021). I think that's a movie a lot of people didn't like though. I was especially disappointed with the Indian representation from Kumail Nanjiani and Harish Patel. Right off the tails of Shang-Chi where I thought that Chinese fans got great representation, I was hoping for similar treatment for us Indians, but Nanjiani ended up playing a more minor role than I'd hoped for and Patel played the stereotypical "funny-because-of-the-accent" Indian character.
Apr 10, 2022 10:15 pm
What's your favourite SWADE setting that you haven't yet played?
Apr 11, 2022 1:55 am
Qralloq says:
What's your favourite SWADE setting that you haven't yet played?
Actually I'm relatively new to SWADE. We just started playing Broken Earth because my buddy was itching for post-apocalypse. Do you have any other setting recs?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.